Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,238 members, 7,860,530 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:10 PM

How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? (15188 Views)

TFCOL: The Ondo Church Massacre: How Do We End Religious Killings In Nigeria? / 10 Reasons Why Many People may End Up In Hell. / Why Are There So Many Churches In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Kalatium(m): 2:32pm On Sep 17, 2023
phemmyfour:
It started from the early days when some followed Peter and others followed Paul.

Different Churches in Nigeria is fueled by corruption

Las las. We are just practicing churchianity.
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by daygee12: 2:32pm On Sep 17, 2023
Money choke for church that's the reason Adeboye don't want to retire
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Kalatium(m): 2:34pm On Sep 17, 2023
Iseoluwani:

Don't worry the a.nti christ is coming with one world religion

NOW LET ME EXPLAIN WHY.
The issue started with the catholic faith, what their religion taught was indoctrination and people wanted freedom. This was not what the apostle taught. Then as a catholic u dare not have the bible , they taught the people fear but people got fed up and there was uprising, Martin Luther, the protestant (they protested) SUPPORTED BY HENRY VIII king of England because he wanted to marry AIMEE as against the catholic and ofcourse christian faith of marrying two wives.

Then we have proliferation of doctrine, everyone wanted to have a say in the christian faith.

One of the major issues is the issue of doctrine. We have ministries that work in faith and works and they believed everything is faith, another believes in supernatural forces must be dealth with .so each one with it's doctrine SO CHURCHES BECAME MUCH UNNECESSARILY

The churches are just too much. I heard we have upto a 1000 different churches in Nigeria.
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Quenncee: 2:35pm On Sep 17, 2023
Kalatium:
Today , I was just wondering how did we end up with so many churches.

I happen to be in Maiduguri currently but I can't seem to find my church and the churches that are somehow close I haven't heard of them before. I don't know their doctrines nor the kind of their beliefs.

I am just stock. Thinking of just staying at home today and watch service online.

I wish we christians have just one church so that irrespective of where you are you can be comfortable going to any church.

The love of money. Everybody now has God's calling. In the old, people where running away from Gods calling but today, even people wey God no choose dey choose themselves just because of money.

Until churches do away with tithes and offerings, I will never take Christianity seriously.

Just within Friday and today sunday, I have received 22 fliers of different churches inviting me for service. Only catholic no get time for advert.thats why I love them.

Out of that 22 fliers I received, they are more of redeemed church, Lord choose, faith Tabernacle and charismatic renewal of Nigeria. I will dispose all the fliers later in the day.

I love Jesus
I love God
But I hate the way we practice Christianity. In order words, I hate Christianity.
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by donmik: 2:37pm On Sep 17, 2023
Kalatium:

I happen to be in Maiduguri currently but I can't seem to find my church and the churches that are somehow close I haven't heard of them before. I don't know their doctrines nor the kind of their beliefs.

I am just stock. Thinking of just staying at home today and watch service online.

I wish we christians have just one church so that irrespective of where you are you can be comfortable going to any church.

Are u demanding for one name for all churches? If so, the common name is "Church"

But if you are demanding for a unified doctrine, then it can't be possible again cos from ancient day, there were the sons of Kephas who went impersonating the disciples of Jesus. That shows that people will have to select churches cos many people have chosen their own doctrines called Christ's
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by donmik: 2:39pm On Sep 17, 2023
daygee12:
Money choke for church that's the reason Adeboye don't want to retire
Does your father employ him or the gov't employ him that you are witchhunting him to retire for you or for who?

Devil incarnate in Nairaland
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by donmik: 2:41pm On Sep 17, 2023
Quenncee:

The love of money. Everybody now has God's calling. In the old, people where running away from Gods calling but today, even people wey God no choose dey choose themselves just because of money.

Until churches do away with tithes and offerings, I will never take Christianity seriously.

You will never accept Christianity cos it is not the money but Christ.
Can you take your cross and follow Jesus without working for money at all, then you will understand why there is need for money in christianity
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by donmik: 2:43pm On Sep 17, 2023
WantsandMore:
What about the Church in your Heart? Prayer,Fasting and giving of alms is all it takes to be a complete church.

...for without holiness, no man can see God...
Many hated JESUS still even though he wasn't asking for their money.
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Kalatium(m): 2:45pm On Sep 17, 2023
Quenncee:

Just within Friday and today sunday, I have received 22 fliers of different churches inviting me for service. Only catholic no get time for advert.thats why I love them.

Out of that 22 fliers I received, they are more of redeemed church, Lord choose, faith Tabernacle and charismatic renewal of Nigeria. I will dispose all the fliers later in the day.

I love Jesus
I love God
But I hate the way we practice Christianity. In order words, I hate Christianity.

What is practiced now is churchianity rather than christianity.
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by donmik: 2:45pm On Sep 17, 2023
dkidd:
So I couldn't get to my normal redeem parish because of time and decided to use one closer to me. My good people of Nairaland wether na church I dey now or na cinema I don't even know. It's not because they're using an event hall. I came to see a movie showing, a movie where them dey even kiss and knack and this people no even fit censor or forward am. The big projector screen just dey alter and everyone is watching both young and old. What the hell is this worl turning into? Even if it's a Christian movie which I doubt cos I have seen some popular American actresses, what is the essence of all this. I swear I'm still sitting confused as I'm typing and sitting down here. God abeg o 🙏

What are you even saying?
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Quenncee: 2:48pm On Sep 17, 2023
donmik:

You will never accept Christianity cos it is not the money but Christ.
Can you take your cross and follow Jesus without working for money at all, then you will understand why there is need for money in christianity

To carry your cross and follow Jesus comes with big sacrifice. Even Nicodemus jakpa when Jesus gave him the conditions.

Is not easy to be a Christian in the olden days, but now it is very easy and very lucrative business.

Did Jesus ever receive anything while on earth? Instead, he was doing give-away then.
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by dkidd: 3:01pm On Sep 17, 2023
donmik:

What are you even saying?
I'm saying u have dyslexia undecided
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by NACE13: 3:07pm On Sep 17, 2023
We have so many churches littered everywhere in the country, most Moslem's abandon their duty to observe their daily prayers but I ask myself
"Where are all these corrupt people from?"
An average Nigerian is ready to defraud you at any given opportunity. Especially the Christians. The Moslems are ready to kill and destroy at any given chance but claim to be the religion of peace.

Religion in Nigeria is a hoax

2 Likes

Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Welrez(m): 3:21pm On Sep 17, 2023
Righthussle:
We have more churches today because of the sharing formula of tithe and offering of a church. The owner of a church takes everything the gullible congregants bring to church, so people who want to partake in the free money quickly open their own church.

I have 3 churches and I'm not even a Christian. The free money is magical, you'll be surprised how rich you'll become in a short time. Having so much gullible people in the society is actually a blessing in disguise. Don't even bother making them understand what's going on. Their brain doesn't have the capacity to understand. They want to go to "heaven" when they die. You go talk tire.

Do not do yahoo yahoo, it is against the law. Instead open a church. This business is the only government approved scam. Don't be discouraged by the number of churches already in existence. There are more than enough gullible people for the free money to go round.

To open a church, go to any Bible college and employ a fresh smart bible college graduate, make sure the graduate is single and good looking, and also make sure he speaks fluent English with good accent.
Religion ultimately ends in man's worship of man by man!
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by thunderbabs: 3:29pm On Sep 17, 2023
Na hustle plenty, not churches grin
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by SmartyPants(m): 3:39pm On Sep 17, 2023
AntiChristian:

I have lived many decades and still never killed!
Even with the schools of thought the five pillars of Islam and six articles of faith are still sacrosanct!

What does celestial church have in common with Presbyterian, seven days Adventist, Cherubim and Seraphim or Catholic church?

The Bible and all its core teachings such as the 10 commandments. You clearly haven't through this through have you? lol.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Ajsmart(m): 3:43pm On Sep 17, 2023
because churches are franchises which is why they have different doctrines just like how McDonald’s are different from Burger King or Wendy’s (all fast food with different menus and ingredients).

Kalatium:

1 Like

Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by WantsandMore: 3:53pm On Sep 17, 2023
donmik:

...for without holiness, no man can see God...
Many hated JESUS still even though he wasn't asking for their money.
despite the need for holiness man has continued to come short of the Glory of God. It's a complex crazy world man..
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Ajsmart(m): 4:00pm On Sep 17, 2023
This is so because both religions are foreign and have zero connection with our culture and the local people. Besides, everyone can now see that religion is a divider and discriminatory in nature which is quite ironic because they all claim their god is the real one grin

NACE13:
We have so many churches littered everywhere in the country, most Moslem's abandon their duty to observe their daily prayers but I ask myself
"Where are all these corrupt people from?"
An average Nigerian is ready to defraud you at any given opportunity. Especially the Christians. The Moslems are ready to kill and destroy at any given chance but claim to be the religion of peace.

Religion in Nigeria is a hoax

2 Likes

Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Ecosystem4u: 4:02pm On Sep 17, 2023
Most of them are formed out of greed and lust, for them is sex and money. So many evil going on inside these criminal churches.

1 Like

Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by ottersberger(m): 4:10pm On Sep 17, 2023
Kalatium:

You stayed at home because you are unable to find the particular sect you were initiated into, but you also wonder how we ended up with so many churches?. Are you ok?

Change starts with you. Since you professed Christianity, and the holy Bible is the constitution thereof, my brother, simply head to any church where the Bible reigns supreme and God's face is truly sought after through his son Jesus Christ.

You can't go wrong.
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Fearyourcreator: 4:23pm On Sep 17, 2023
Righthussle:
We have more churches today because of the sharing formula of tithe and offering of a church. The owner of a church takes everything the gullible congregants bring to church, so people who want to partake in the free money quickly open their own church.

I have 3 churches and I'm not even a Christian. The free money is magical, you'll be surprised how rich you'll become in a short time. Having so much gullible people in the society is actually a blessing in disguise. Don't even bother making them understand what's going on. Their brain doesn't have the capacity to understand. They want to go to "heaven" when they die. You go talk tire.

Do not do yahoo yahoo, it is against the law. Instead open a church. This business is the only government approved scam. Don't be discouraged by the number of churches already in existence. There are more than enough gullible people for the free money to go round.

To open a church, go to any Bible college and employ a fresh smart bible college graduate, make sure the graduate is single and good looking, and also make sure he speaks fluent English with good accent.
You will fail
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Kalatium(m): 4:57pm On Sep 17, 2023
ottersberger:

You stayed at home because you are unable to find the particular sect you were initiated into, but you also wonder how we ended up with so many churches?. Are you ok?

Change starts with you. Since you professed Christianity, and the holy Bible is the constitution thereof, my brother, simply head to any church where the Bible reigns supreme and God's face is truly sought after through his son Jesus Christ.

You can't go wrong.

You started well then you spoiled everything.
Just like telling a yoruba man to enter into the mist of HAUSA people.

It's a very valid question.
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by daygee12: 5:07pm On Sep 17, 2023
donmik:

Does your father employ him or the gov't employ him that you are witchhunting him to retire for you or for who?

Devil incarnate in Nairaland

It's because u don't read ur Bible very well and u don't understand that Church is u and I. Go n check the constitution of Redeemed church it is compulsory for everyone to retire at certain age but Adeboye refused to retire. Ur mumu never do sha

1 Like

Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by thinkmoney(m): 5:20pm On Sep 17, 2023
Kalatium:

It’s a sign that the anti christ is here. It’s a sign of heresy.
God only have one church here on earth. All those many churches with different doctrines do not serve the true God
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by kunle75(m): 5:55pm On Sep 17, 2023
Kalatium:

The hustle is real bro
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Akell(m): 5:55pm On Sep 17, 2023
Are you passionate about reading and interested in building a collection of excellent Christian e-books without any cost?

If your answer is yes, then we invite you to like, share, and join our WhatsApp group.

Send me a DM

By becoming a member, you'll gain access to instant free Christian books from reputable authors like Kenneth Hagin Sr. and Jr., Joyce Meyer, and more. Join us and enjoy a treasure trove of inspiring literature.
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Rhozabeth(m): 6:27pm On Sep 17, 2023
There is this dichotomy in the christaindom about being catholic or Anglican or whatever however, we are suppoy to be serving the same God.
Christians discriminate more than muslims and this needs to STOP! We as christians need to do more in d area of integration.
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Padipadi: 6:56pm On Sep 17, 2023
AntiChristian:
Because many Jesus dey!

Because many Bible interpretations dey!

Because many denominations dey!

Because churches churn out plenty dough!

I go just enter one mosque pray when it's prayer time!

Prologue:
[Jesus said,] I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one. . . . I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one—I in them and you in me— so that they may be brought to complete unity. (John 17:20–23)

Paul said:
I appeal to you . . . that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.(1 Corinthians 1:10)

That’s a nice thought, but has any prayer failed more spectacularly? Christianity is more than just Roman Catholics and Baptists and Methodists, Presbyterian, 7days Adventists, Anglican, Redeem and maybe a thousand more—there are now over 45,000 denominations, and Christianity is fragmenting at a rate of two new denominations per day.

In Mathew 7:7, Jesus said ask and you will be given...But here Jesus asked but was not given!
So how to build a Central Church for all?

HOW TO BUILD A CENTRAL CHURCH
By Bashir Lucas Samson Lukman

Over the years, different Christian denominations have risen making it difficult to know which of these denominations are really following the teachings of Jesus Christ and which are the heretics. Each denomination with one or two differences in contrast to other denominations ranging from the number of books in their Bible, mode and time of worship and who exactly is to be worshipped.

It would surprise no one to know that Muslims have a unifying mode of worship, very unique, facing the same direction and reciting from the Quran consisting of the same chapters. I think it is high time Christendom rose to address and solve the problem of disunity among them.
The Muslims have a central mosque at local, state, national and international level respectively unlike Christianity. Now, the question is, is it possible to unite all Christian denominations probably by having a central church where different denominations can worship?? It is almost impossible or else the points listed below could be addressed/tackled.

I think one of the first step in successfully having a central church is for the Catholic Church to ask the protestant churches to "BRING BACK OUR BOOKS". It is obvious that the Catholic Bibles consist of 73 Books while the protestant Bibles consist of 66 books. After the protestants rebelled/revolted against the Catholic churches, they decided that God only inspired 66books.To have a peaceful and organized central church, there should be an agreement on how many books should the Bibles consist of so that there wouldn't be commotion in the central church.

Another issue that needs to be addressed to have a peaceful and organized central church is how to resolve the differences between the KJV Bible and the RSV, NIV and NWT Bible. The KJV Bible needs to tell these versions to "BRING BACK OUR VERSES". The RSV Bible unceremoniously expunged 16verses from its pages whereas these verses are in the Kjv Bible. If this issue is not addressed, there may be commotion in the central church because if a KJV Bible using pastor ask a RSV using member to open to Matthew 17:21,the member would search till eternity. Some of the verses expunged from the pages of NIV, NWT, RSV includes Matthew18:11,Mark7:16,Mark 9:44, John 5:4,acts 8:37, Romans16:24 etc.

Furthermore, the idea of having a central church looks almost impossible judging by the difference in the mode of worship of different Christian denominations. For example, if on a Sunday morning, different Christian denominations gather in the central church to praise and worship God and the service was conducted by a Christ apostolic pastor, if the pastor starts singing and clapping, Jehovah witnesses in the building would be like, WTF!!!, we are not going to clap. They wouldn't shout the way the pastor is shouting and the moment the pastor says Jesus is God, Jehovah witnesses and unitarian Christians in the building would be like, " Is this pastor is High on something?".

What would be done to the Mormons?? If a pastor from the church of latter day saints happen to be in charge of the service, the non Mormon members would be looking like zombie the moment he starts quoting from book of Moses or book of Nephi.
How about that awkward moment when a Celestial pastor is conducting the service and he orders everyone to pull of their shoes forbidding them to wear it in side the church...

If they want to worship God and they have English, Chinese, Yoruba, Hausa, Spanish, etc. speaking congregation, what language would they use in worship that's gonna make then United??

Having a central church MIGHT be possible, it's just going to be like "FUJI HOUSE OF COMMOTION"

Bashir Lucas Samson Lukman
I decided to quote the your whole writeup cos I want to give a simple summation that answered all.
Though, there's no central church but there's a central God. The doctrines may differ just as languages, culture, interpretations are different. But they all acknowledged Jehovah who's also known as Yahweh. Even in Islam, there's the sunni and shia muslims. Also, there's a version of janjaweêds which I thought you belonged to. Am talking about the terrorists, ISIS, Al-Qaeda, Mossad, Boko Haram, etc. If we are to count denominations in Islam, it ll be more too in Islam too. Every religion have lacuna. As for Bible verses that aren't same, different people wrote the Bible. So you can expect that to happen.
One thing I can commend the muslims for is that they somehow agreed on arabic as religion language and writing of koran same way to bring in uniformity. But with it, there's still shia and sunni muslim disparity.
For you to know who's following the footsteps of Jesus. It's so simple.
It's that Christian or any individual that's showing fruits of the holy spirit.
Galatians 5:22-23. love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

So you can't tell me you v not met Christians like that.
However, if you say should there be modification in Christendom, yes if it's received from God.
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by HOSTCOM(m): 7:10pm On Sep 17, 2023
What a pity. Religious home have replace industry in this part of the world.

1 Like

Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Chetas81(m): 7:16pm On Sep 17, 2023
AntiChristian:
Because many Jesus dey!

Because many Bible interpretations dey!

Because many denominations dey!

Because churches churn out plenty dough!

I go just enter one mosque pray when it's prayer time!

Prologue:
[Jesus said,] I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one. . . . I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one—I in them and you in me— so that they may be brought to complete unity. (John 17:20–23)

Paul said:
I appeal to you . . . that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.(1 Corinthians 1:10)

That’s a nice thought, but has any prayer failed more spectacularly? Christianity is more than just Roman Catholics and Baptists and Methodists, Presbyterian, 7days Adventists, Anglican, Redeem and maybe a thousand more—there are now over 45,000 denominations, and Christianity is fragmenting at a rate of two new denominations per day.

In Mathew 7:7, Jesus said ask and you will be given...But here Jesus asked but was not given!
So how to build a Central Church for all?

HOW TO BUILD A CENTRAL CHURCH
By Bashir Lucas Samson Lukman

Over the years, different Christian denominations have risen making it difficult to know which of these denominations are really following the teachings of Jesus Christ and which are the heretics. Each denomination with one or two differences in contrast to other denominations ranging from the number of books in their Bible, mode and time of worship and who exactly is to be worshipped.

It would surprise no one to know that Muslims have a unifying mode of worship, very unique, facing the same direction and reciting from the Quran consisting of the same chapters. I think it is high time Christendom rose to address and solve the problem of disunity among them.
The Muslims have a central mosque at local, state, national and international level respectively unlike Christianity. Now, the question is, is it possible to unite all Christian denominations probably by having a central church where different denominations can worship?? It is almost impossible or else the points listed below could be addressed/tackled.

I think one of the first step in successfully having a central church is for the Catholic Church to ask the protestant churches to "BRING BACK OUR BOOKS". It is obvious that the Catholic Bibles consist of 73 Books while the protestant Bibles consist of 66 books. After the protestants rebelled/revolted against the Catholic churches, they decided that God only inspired 66books.To have a peaceful and organized central church, there should be an agreement on how many books should the Bibles consist of so that there wouldn't be commotion in the central church.

Another issue that needs to be addressed to have a peaceful and organized central church is how to resolve the differences between the KJV Bible and the RSV, NIV and NWT Bible. The KJV Bible needs to tell these versions to "BRING BACK OUR VERSES". The RSV Bible unceremoniously expunged 16verses from its pages whereas these verses are in the Kjv Bible. If this issue is not addressed, there may be commotion in the central church because if a KJV Bible using pastor ask a RSV using member to open to Matthew 17:21,the member would search till eternity. Some of the verses expunged from the pages of NIV, NWT, RSV includes Matthew18:11,Mark7:16,Mark 9:44, John 5:4,acts 8:37, Romans16:24 etc.

Furthermore, the idea of having a central church looks almost impossible judging by the difference in the mode of worship of different Christian denominations. For example, if on a Sunday morning, different Christian denominations gather in the central church to praise and worship God and the service was conducted by a Christ apostolic pastor, if the pastor starts singing and clapping, Jehovah witnesses in the building would be like, WTF!!!, we are not going to clap. They wouldn't shout the way the pastor is shouting and the moment the pastor says Jesus is God, Jehovah witnesses and unitarian Christians in the building would be like, " Is this pastor is High on something?".

What would be done to the Mormons?? If a pastor from the church of latter day saints happen to be in charge of the service, the non Mormon members would be looking like zombie the moment he starts quoting from book of Moses or book of Nephi.
How about that awkward moment when a Celestial pastor is conducting the service and he orders everyone to pull of their shoes forbidding them to wear it in side the church...

If they want to worship God and they have English, Chinese, Yoruba, Hausa, Spanish, etc. speaking congregation, what language would they use in worship that's gonna make then United??

Having a central church MIGHT be possible, it's just going to be like "FUJI HOUSE OF COMMOTION"

Bashir Lucas Samson Lukman
the British colony really do bad to black African citizen, by print book in their language and give it to us also call one of their own brother called Jesus,to be our saviour, but there is something wrong with black African citizen
Re: How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? by Kingson28: 7:33pm On Sep 17, 2023
[quote author=MrsTwrite post=125841327]My dear, stay at home, read your bible, pray and sing some praises to God, he will hear you. Na you dey make things hard for yourself.

You are not a truly saved Christian if you don’t have a desire to gather with other believers.
In fact, you’re disobeying the Bible, “Do not forsake the gathering together of saints as the manner of some.”

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We worship one TRUE GOD not a TRINITY - A Provocative discussion / Happy 15th Anniversary To Omega Fire Ministries Worldwide (pictures) / Is The Obama 666 Bill For Real???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.