Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,501 members, 7,854,134 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 11:20 AM

ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For (391 Views)

Husband’s Comment: I Never Compromised My Office - Rtd Justice Bulkachuwa / PDP Asks Justice Bulkachuwa To Recuse Selffrom Presidential Tribunal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by Morbeta11(m): 6:27am On Sep 20, 2023
ICPC wins as Court approves arrest of Justice Bulkachuwa’s husband for influencing wife’s Judgements

The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, on Tuesday, dismissed a suit filed by Senator Ahmad Muhammad Bulkachuwa, seeking an order restraining anti-graft agencies from inviting, interrogating or arresting him over what he said about influencing his wife’s judgement who was a former Court of Appeal President.

The court held that the lawmaker has no right to influence judgements of a judge.

There had been calls for Bulkachuwa’s arrest and prosecution after he publicly claimed that he influenced decisions of his wife while serving as President of Nigeria’s Court of Appeal.

THE WHISTLER reports that Senator Bulkachuwa had during the valedictory session of the 9th Assembly, said his wife, Justice Zainab, “accepted my encroachment, and extended her help to my colleagues.”

In the viral video clip on June 12, he said his wife assisted his colleagues at the National Assembly, as a serving judge.

“I look at faces in this chamber whom have come to me and sought for my help when my wife was the President of the Court of Appeal.

“And I must thank particularly, my wife, whose freedom and independence I encroached upon while she was in office, and she has been very tolerant and accepted my encroachment, and extended her help to my colleagues.

“I did my best and in most cases I succeeded,” Senator Bulkachuwa had said, while the then Senate President, Ahmed Lawan interjected him.

But in his originating summons before Justice Inyang Ekwo, Senator Bulkachuwa, through his lawyer, Mr. Donald Ayibiowu, stated that the leadership of the 9th Assembly did not allow him to “fully speak” during the valedictory session.

Ayibiowu claimed that his client’s political opponents are now twisting the development to malign his reputation and that of his family.

Moreso, Ayibiowu argued that in line with Section 1 of the Legislative Houses Powers and Privileges) Act 2017, only the Senate in session or any of its sub-committees has the disciplinary power to invite Bulkachuwa to answer any question relating to his conduct/utterances on the floor of the Nigerian Senate.

The plaintiff therefore asked the court to declare that he “is covered, privileged and protected by the parliamentary immunity as enshrined in Section 1 of the Legislative Houses (Powers and Privileges) Act 2017 and freedom of speech and expression made thereto is privileged.”

He also prayed the court to declare that without exhausting the internal disciplinary mechanism, recommendations and approval of the 9th House of Senate, no other law enforcement agent of the federal government including the defendants “can invite any member of the Senate for questioning/interview and or for any disciplinary purposes in relation to the plaintiff’s privileged inchoate expression/statement/speeches made on the floor of the Nigeria House of Senate at the valedictory session.”

The Attorney-General of the Federation, the Clerk of the National Assembly, State Security Service, Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offenses Commission (ICPC), and Nigeria Police Force, were listed as 1st to fifth defendants.

Amid the development, the retired justice had debunked the comments credited to her husband, saying she “never favoured any party” during her time as a judge.

But in his judgement on Tuesday, Justice Ekwo held that the most rational interpretation of the statement made by Bulkachuwa was that it is contrary to the law.

“The answer is simple, he influenced his wife, ” Ekwo said, adding this is an act of corruption.

Ekwo said the statement of the lawmaker is a confession of an irregular act that is subject to be investigated and prosecuted.

The judge said the plaintiff is liable to be arrested based on his statement, adding that the National Assembly is not a place to hide any person who has committed a crime involving influencing the administration of criminal justice.

“I hold that this case lacks merit and ought to be dismissed. The case is dismissed” Ekwo held.

https://nkirukanistoran.com/breaking-icpc-wins-as-court-approves-arrest-of-justice-bulkachuwas-husband-for-influencing-wifes-judgements/

Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by TemplarLandry: 6:28am On Sep 20, 2023
cool
Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by princeade86(m): 6:31am On Sep 20, 2023
Good. But will still sweep under carpet
Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by princeade86(m): 6:31am On Sep 20, 2023
TemplarLandry:
cool
see u. U just book space. People are complaining that u always on naira land, morning,afternoon and night. Even midnight, then, I confirmed it today. Is it that ur job is just to defend bad government alone or what?

1 Like

Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by Iagos: 6:35am On Sep 20, 2023
Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by propsvilla2: 6:36am On Sep 20, 2023
Ok
Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by Thundafireseun: 6:37am On Sep 20, 2023
Nigeria is still not ready yet

Somebody committed a crime and announced it to the world

Yet you still need court order for his arrest
Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by Chinjo2: 6:39am On Sep 20, 2023
Nothing will come out of it at the end of the day because he is a member of APC.
Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by Wisereborn: 6:42am On Sep 20, 2023
If you know that this case is DOA, gather here grin grin grin
Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by slimfit1(m): 7:17am On Sep 20, 2023
It looks like it's only hight court working to change things in this country.
Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by slimfit1(m): 7:19am On Sep 20, 2023
Chinjo2:
Nothing will come out of it at the end of the day because he is a member of APC.

Supreme Court will render the case useless. See why we need a coup so that all those judges needs to be caged. Our problem is the Supreme Court now.
Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by Nobody: 7:28am On Sep 20, 2023
Rough play
Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by Corridon: 7:31am On Sep 20, 2023
TemplarLandry:
cool
You keep jumping from one thread to another with a stolen phone. You better go and return the phone you stole and look for a job.
Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by PeterObi4LP: 7:43am On Sep 20, 2023
princeade86:
see u. U just book space. People are complaining that u always on naira land, morning,afternoon and night. Even midnight, then, I confirmed it today. Is it that ur job is just to defend bad government alone or what?

He is a tribal bigot and minus 1 in his family. How can somebody be on nairaland 247, meaning he has no job, work or business to do but to defend the criminal.
Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by Obakoolex(m): 7:44am On Sep 20, 2023
Nice one grin

If as a leader, you can't control your mouth.... that's the result.
Re: ICPC Wins As Court Approves Arrest Of Justice Bulkachuwa’s Husband For by waice6571: 7:45am On Sep 20, 2023
Corridon:
You keep jumping from one thread to another with a stolen phone. You better go and return the phone you stole and look for a job.

Stolen phone kwa?

Habba! Let us learn to show mercy and love to each other on this forum. embarassed

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu Pushing For Muslim-muslim Ticket Since 2007 - Atiku / Islamic Movement Of Nigeria Condemns Attack On Female, Childern In Gaza / What Does Consumption Tax Mean (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.