Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,122 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination (27905 Views)

Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. / Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by CandidAdmin(m): 4:10pm On Sep 20, 2023
Nigerian based abroad, please share your experience with racist or when you are being discriminated because of your color.

Note: This is not an Anti Japa thread.

12 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by akube34: 4:13pm On Sep 20, 2023
CandidAdmin:
Nigerian based abroad, please share your experience with racist or when you are being discriminated because of your color.

Nlfpmod.
Mynd44

Note: This is not an Anti Japa thread.
been here four years. Never experienced such

92 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by CandidAdmin(m): 4:29pm On Sep 20, 2023
Food for thought - Germans see you as Halmitic race from europe settlers.
Italians see you as illegal immigrants.
North Americans see you as non-human apes.
Japan see Africa as continent in need of help. So as China.
China see you as black faces with bad luck.
US see you as primitive and full of disease. They also see Africa as a jungle full of wild animals.
Australians see you as primitive.
Koreans see you as people without water and basic amenities as depicted in the movie shooting stars.
Some people see Africans as fraudsters especially Nigerians. Also see Africa one poor country.

Stereotyper of Africa gotten from wikipedia.

I just talk say make I remind you ni ooo.

115 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by CandidAdmin(m): 4:31pm On Sep 20, 2023
akube34:
been here four years. Never experienced such

Which country? Are you saying you've never experienced anything close to that?

WOW!!!

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by ednut1(m): 4:40pm On Sep 20, 2023
3 years in uk. 3 years plus in Canada. No experience of such. Una no dey tire for negativity

Abeg make nobody quote me. Comment your own face front 😆. I’m above 6ft with long hands i dey wait for racist o. If them no go collect

151 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by CandidAdmin(m): 4:45pm On Sep 20, 2023
ednut1:
3 years in uk. 3 years plus in Canada. No experience of such. Una no dey tire for negativity

Like I said, this is not an anti japa thread.
I just love reading people's experience with things. That all.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Makamatic: 5:31pm On Sep 20, 2023
CandidAdmin:
US see you as primitive and full of disease. They also see Africa as a jungle full of wild animals.
Koreans see you as people without water and basic amenities as depicted in the movie shooting stars.
Some people see Africans as fraudsters especially Nigerians. Also see Africa one poor country.

I just talk say make I remind you ni ooo. No pun intended.

Then stay Nigeria and If you don already they abroad they talk this one , them go deport you Aje

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by akube34: 6:41pm On Sep 20, 2023
CandidAdmin:

Which country? Are you saying you've never experienced anything close to that?

WOW!!!
canada

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by CandidAdmin(m): 7:46pm On Sep 20, 2023
Makamatic:

Then stay Nigeria and If you don already they abroad they talk this one , them go deport you Aje

I no fi talk am na
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Mindlog: 9:35pm On Sep 20, 2023
While tribalism is catwalking in the open air in Nigeria. sad

209 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:45pm On Sep 20, 2023
CandidAdmin:

Hello tensa, how's chile?
Also, I don't think you should single out a tribe. Copy the poster above you.

Fucking amazing country. Exceeded all the expectations I had for it to be honest and I am a man of low expectations

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by CandidAdmin(m): 9:51pm On Sep 20, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Fucking amazing country. Exceeded all the expectations I had for it to be honest and I am a man of low expectations

Glad to hear that. Wish you success

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Gerrard59(m): 3:45am On Sep 21, 2023
A significant number of Japanese will not sit beside a foreigner who is non-East Asian except the train is full. When I went for an interview for my first part-time job, I used a narrow path which led to the train station, so I reduced time. More like short-cut in Nigerian parlance. At the point of entering it, one Japanese woman also entered. Few seconds later, she dey begin dey waka very fast while looking back. At one point, I wanted to say in Japanese that I am harmless, but my instincts kicked in, "don't say anything". Few seconds after that, she begin dey run o. Meanwhile, wetin dey my mind na how to arrive at the train station on time, so I reach the interview venue.

Other than that, nothing else. The Emperor hasn't threatened to push me into the Sea of Japan. grin

160 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Gerrard59(m): 6:23am On Sep 21, 2023
CandidAdmin:

I just talk say make I remind you ni ooo. No pun intended.

Then, you use it to your advantage. Those people have money to throw around. So you, as the African, would have many opportunities since they want to be seen as "lovers of diversity", "helping other people", etc. People wey dey look for allies sef. Present yourself as an educated person, understand the language and culture, and grab the opportunities they offer. Since they know/have related with few black people, when they come across cool-headed black folks, they want to associate. Your interest is the economic opportunities which come with such an association. Remember, you don't have competition as in the West, where black people full everywhere.

Economics over emotions.

80 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by CandidAdmin(m): 8:36am On Sep 21, 2023
Gerrard59:
A significant number of Japanese will not sit beside a foreigner who is non-East Asian except the train is full. When I went for an interview for my first part-time job, I used a narrow path which led to the train station, so I reduced time. More like short-cut in Nigerian parlance. At the point of entering it, one Japanese woman also entered. Few seconds later, she dey begin dey waka very fast while looking back. At one point, I wanted to say in Japanese that I am harmless, but my instincts kicked in, "don't say anything". Few seconds after that, she begin dey run o. Meanwhile, wetin dey my mind na how to arrive at the train station on time, so I reach the interview venue.

Other than that, nothing else. The Emperor hasn't threatened to push me into the Sea of Japan. grin

The woman's experence with blacks must have been horribl or maybe she's just following stereotype.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Acidosis(m): 9:50am On Sep 21, 2023
Nigerians abroad rarely share this experience. Media exaggerates a lot.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Karleb(m): 12:34pm On Sep 21, 2023
Gerrard59:

I'm curious tho, do these people have a genuine reason to be scared of backs. Aside the stereotype, have black people been harming or robbing these guys?

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:28pm On Sep 21, 2023
Karleb:

I'm curious tho, do these people have a genuine reason to be scared of backs. Aside the stereotype, have black people been harming or robbing these guys?

Yeah. In Chile blacks have a bad reputation as the first set of blacks to come here were from Haiti. Unless you tell them when you meet a Chilean as a black man they assume you are from Haiti and those who speak a little bit of french will try to speak french to you. Haitians have a very bad reputation here so it's best to let them know immediately they see you that you aren't from Haiti if not cheesy cheesy cheesy

49 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Gerrard59(m): 2:57pm On Sep 21, 2023
Karleb:

The majority will be stereotyped judging from videos they watch about Africa, Haiti and negative actions by African Americans. However, there exists a significant proportion that like black people. This time, based on the positive actions and culture of African Americans, coupled with African American soldiers stationed in America's military bases throughout the country. African Americans are accorded a higher level of respect than black Africans.

CandidAdmin:

The woman's experence with blacks must have been horribl or maybe she's just following stereotype.

That one is her business. Sometimes, our people no dey try, especially black Africans. Few months ago, there was damage to sculptures in a shrine in Kobe by a Gambian. Now, if a random black person goes to that area, s/he would be viewed with suspicion and hatred because of the act perpetrated by "one of us". Which is why the first question you get as a black person is: where are you from? It is a common question non-East Asians get, but as a black person, it is to know how to judge the person. Follow-up questions can then chart the discourse. If you go to a top school or work in a reputable firm, the narrative changes regardless of one's nationality.

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by obontami: 3:53pm On Sep 21, 2023
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Ekoubamay(m): 3:54pm On Sep 21, 2023
Oya lets have it

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by XtraFortunes: 3:54pm On Sep 21, 2023
The tribalism in Nigeria is worse than the racism in America.

Like somebody said sometime ago it is better to live in an advanced country with racist than to live in an under developed country like Nigeria with tribalism

Even me I have become tribalistic as I can not be friends with a Fulani man as I see all of them as killer herdsmen now. Will you blame me? After seeing Fulani herdsmen kill, kidnap and rape people with non of them brought to justice by government.

106 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Houseontherock1: 3:54pm On Sep 21, 2023
Nigerians have very bad reputation in most countries.... hence, most Nigerians experience that subtle side glare of distrust at first, but it's usually not a big deal.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Greenwood18: 3:54pm On Sep 21, 2023
There seems to be a deliberate plan to stop the youth from japa through nairaland propaganda

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by osuofia2(m): 3:54pm On Sep 21, 2023
Make the Money forget racism. Even Nigeria tribalism worst than racism. Be wise, don't let anyone deceive you not to Japa. See the thread of a former gov of Anambra state walking with his dog on a clean environment.
https://www.nairaland.com/7847811/willie-obiano-walking-dog-usa#125917586

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Gamesmart: 3:54pm On Sep 21, 2023
Racism any Nigerian faces abroad is not as bad or frequent as the tribalism they will (or do) face in Nigeria.

We are the dumbest race in the world, so people being racist against us is inevitable.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Racoon(m): 3:55pm On Sep 21, 2023
Abeg my country first before one yeye country wey go dey look me as a subhuman being.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Corpers' Trip To Freedom Park Lagos, Formerly 'Her Majesty's Broad Street Prison / Fatal Accident In Bauchi Kills Passengers, Others Injured (Graphic Photos) / Lady Who Rescued Accident Victims In Lagos Narrates Her Ordeal. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.