Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,810 members, 7,831,644 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination (28076 Views)

Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. / Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by IjeBos(m): 4:38pm On Sep 21, 2023
I'm in the US, based in the Northeast. It's here. My friends with black boys have to have the conversation with their sons about how to interact with police. It's sad to have to discuss. And also to remind them that though they may live in the same neighborhoods and go the same schools as some of their friends, at times they may not be seen or treated the same.

My niece was telling me the other day, that she's not pretty and her hair's not pretty. She's 9. Was confused and then she explained that a white girl in her school told her that her skin was dark and hair wasn't soft.. blah blah blah. Adults can manage, understanding that we need to manage, but if you live in areas that are not predominately black, children can bear the brunt.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by spellingcheck(m): 4:38pm On Sep 21, 2023
I stay in Canada for almost 15 years and haven't experience any form of racism. There is only one simple reason.

1) i don't go to places that does not concern me.
2) i only go to places with black people
3) i do not go to any event that is non black unless it is sponsored by the government. because funds are tax payer money which i am part of.
4) 99.999% of my friends are blacks and Africans
5) private events is a no no no no no.

overall i stick to my community only.

Hi Guys please help a brother and subscribe to my youtube channel. This video below tells about racism in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAbe1X9H3-8

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by nairalanda1(m): 4:38pm On Sep 21, 2023
Greenwood18:
There seems to be a deliberate plan to stop the youth from japa through nairaland propaganda

No, this thread is to prepare your mind for any potential hardship as one japa.

Back in the 1970's, a relative of mine had opportunity to study abroad for postgrad degree. He had a choice between two countries. He asked for advice, was told to go to one country, as it was not as racist as the other country. He did, and no regrets on his part.

No one was discouraging him or anything. Just simple advice on any hazards. Today, racisim has diminsed drastically in both countries, so if my relation was a young man making the same choice now, he would find it difficult to make it..lol.
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Muyiii(m): 4:40pm On Sep 21, 2023
Truth be told I haven’t directly had an encounter, however I do experience subtle discrimination often. For instance, at work I’ve often heard people say “you don’t act like a Nigerian” or “are you sure you’re Nigerian”? Apparently there is a certain way Nigerians act that I’m not accustomed to. Another form of subtle racism I encounter often (thanks to the drug peddlers, Scam con artist) is the issue of trust. I’ve been denied lucrative job opportunities because of my nationality. I however, made a good breakthrough when I became a citizen. My advice to all is, please be a good ambassador of Nigeria where ever you are. Our image in badly tainted overseas.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by yewit37486: 4:40pm On Sep 21, 2023
Gerrard59:
A significant number of Japanese will not sit beside a foreigner who is non-East Asian except the train is full. When I went for an interview for my first part-time job, I used a narrow path which led to the train station, so I reduced time. More like short-cut in Nigerian parlance. At the point of entering it, one Japanese woman also entered. Few seconds later, she dey begin dey waka very fast while looking back. At one point, I wanted to say in Japanese that I am harmless, but my instincts kicked in, "don't say anything". Few seconds after that, she begin dey run o. Meanwhile, wetin dey my mind na how to arrive at the train station on time, so I reach the interview venue.

Other than that, nothing else. The Emperor hasn't threatened to push me into the Sea of Japan. grin

Now imagine if that woman had turned out to be your interviewer 😂
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by nairalanda1(m): 4:41pm On Sep 21, 2023
sylve11:

It's anti-japa thread jare. angry cool

No, it is to prepare you for the things you might face, so that you can be careful.

Racisim HAS diminished, but it is still there. It pays to go in prepared.

I know one older Nigerian who when he was going abroad in the 1980's...was warned about racisim in full, was told to stay safe, and was given safety tips. No one discouraged anyone...just basically be careful.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by kokorokoman: 4:41pm On Sep 21, 2023
Gerrard59:
A significant number of Japanese will not sit beside a foreigner who is non-East Asian except the train is full. When I went for an interview for my first part-time job, I used a narrow path which led to the train station, so I reduced time. More like short-cut in Nigerian parlance. At the point of entering it, one Japanese woman also entered. Few seconds later, she dey begin dey waka very fast while looking back. At one point, I wanted to say in Japanese that I am harmless, but my instincts kicked in, "don't say anything". Few seconds after that, she begin dey run o. Meanwhile, wetin dey my mind na how to arrive at the train station on time, so I reach the interview venue.

Other than that, nothing else. The Emperor hasn't threatened to push me into the Sea of Japan. grin
of everybody I have interacted with around the world, I noticed Japanese are the kindest people I have interacted with.
*at least 3 in 20 Japanese I have met pays a certain percentage of their salary to UNICEF for homeless and hungry kids around the world and majorly Africa, at least 6 of every Japanese I knew pays a certain percentage of their salary to one charity or the other.
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Gerrard59(m): 4:41pm On Sep 21, 2023
grandstar:

People tend to fear a black man in a hoodie

I understand the hoodie aspect, but I was not wearing one, nor do I have one. Most Japanese young men don't wear it either. I am yet to see anyone wearing a hoodie.
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by GUNITGuy: 4:42pm On Sep 21, 2023
ednut1:
3 years in uk. 3 years plus in Canada. No experience of such. Una no dey tire for negativity

Abeg make nobody quote me. Comment your own face front 😆. I’m above 6ft with long hands i dey wait for racist o. If them no go collect
Thank you don't mind them theyve and attempt to discourage people from Leaving Nigeria...It's obvious Nigeria might become empty of young talents in the next 10yrs .... There's a massive exodus going on am more are to come ...The nations youth would be scattered abroad in search of Greener pastures.....
No discriminate as long as you are Honest and good in what you are doing
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by TheCongo2: 4:42pm On Sep 21, 2023
CaptainFM1:

Where is here? Racism comes in different forms, styles and tricks. Some of which, you may be oblivious of.

My point exactly.
I have realized that many African have no notion of subtle racism.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by uvie66: 4:42pm On Sep 21, 2023
XtraFortunes:
The tribalism in Nigeria is worse than the racism in America.

Like somebody said sometime ago it is better to live in an advanced country with racist than to live in an under developed country like Nigeria with tribalism

Even me I have become tribalistic as I can not be friends with a Fulani man as I see all of them as killer herdsmen now. Will you blame me? After seeing Fulani herdsmen kill, kidnap and rape people with non of them brought to justice by government.
i concur, the other days a job advert on Anambra state wad restricted only to indigenes of the state.
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by motymop: 4:42pm On Sep 21, 2023
nairalanda1:

No, it is to prepare you for the things you might face, so that you can be careful.

I know one older Nigerian who when he was going abroad in the 1980's...was warned about racisim in full, was told to stay safe, and was given safety tips. No one discouraged anyone...just basically be careful.

racism hasn't diminish, there are just laws that prevent people from doing it openly

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 4:43pm On Sep 21, 2023
sonnie10:
The one I don’t understand is, when people see you and smile, are they

Smiling at you?
Smiling for you?
Smiling with you?
Smiling about you
Or just smiling?

They do these a lot here and it makes me quite uncomfortable.
grin grin grin grin😂🤣🤣🤣
Best Comment Of The Day
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by nairalanda1(m): 4:43pm On Sep 21, 2023
TheCongo2:

If someone never experience racism in the west it could be for any of the following reasons :
1 - The person is extremely lucky
2- The person never amount to anything
3 - the person has no notion of subtle racism or everyday racism.

True that, though to be honest, racism HAS diminished in many parts of the world...BUT IT IS still there.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by yewit37486: 4:44pm On Sep 21, 2023
TheCongo2:

With respect to the bolded, you mean that everyone who had experience racism was because of something wrong they have done.
Here we go with blaming the victim

Some of those saying they've never experienced it after staying for years are either totally oblivious or just not self aware.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by yewit37486: 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2023
nairalanda1:

True that, though to be honest, racism HAS diminished in many parts of the world...BUT IT IS still there.

On what basis do you feel it has diminished?
I think in some countries, it's just more subtle now.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by nairalanda1(m): 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2023
motymop:

racism hasn't diminish, there are just laws that prevent people from doing it openly

Yeah and there were laws in the past too.

Just that people did not follow them at all back then

But compared to times past, racisim has dimished. At least as a black person in say the UK, you won't get denied accomodation by a landlord so long as you got the cash to pay.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by DNAconverter: 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2023
Two weeks in Canada, I have not experienced anything but love, openess and willingness to help.
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2023
Over a decade here.

No racism personally directed at me as I dey respect myself Jejelly.

My daughter complained of racism in her school when she was in Junior high by one or two of her teachers after the fact.

At any time I feel uncomfortable abroad, I go return to my father's land.

I will not take shit ins the name of traveling and living abroad.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by planetx: 4:46pm On Sep 21, 2023
NaijaNaWaa:

Not only Japanese. Americans and Europeans (UK, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, etc) too. I've experienced that a lot. Right from the airport coach to city trains; they never sat beside me. It embarrasses me. Who else has experienced it?

Btw, I'm not foreign based. I only travel and return.
I was passing through Frankfurt Airport in Germany and we took the bus from the gate to the plane on the tarmac, the only people nobody sat next to is me and another African guy, they all preferred to stand.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Gerrard59(m): 4:47pm On Sep 21, 2023
Elvis2kay:
So how do you see them?

Do you mean the Japanese?

I respect them. I really do. They, especially the men, have been able to build a functioning society for themselves based on their cultural characteristics and norms. I applaud their tenacity, rule-based system and how the society functions. The women, especially young women, are facially beautiful. They lack the chubby features as observed in black women as a result of genetics, but from seeing them, you go know say suffer no dey disturb their skin. Why should it when they don't inhale generator fumes, enter poto-poto, sweat 24/7 and be exposed to constant noise

The society runs optimally, and we, as black Africans, have much to learn from them. I tell them this every time I am asked why Japan? But yeah, I admire what they have done for themselves.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by segunoluomoofte(m): 4:47pm On Sep 21, 2023
15 years in America never experienced racism lived in 4 states already oyinbo people Dey look eyes
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by nairalanda1(m): 4:47pm On Sep 21, 2023
yewit37486:

On what basis do you feel it has diminished?
I think in some countries, it's just more subtle now.

A simple example...in the UK, a group called the National Action which hates immigrants has been unable to hold marches openly because the government no let them

50 years ago, in the same UK, groups like the National Front, which were anti-immigrant.(and from which National Action is descended from)...could march and say what they wanted to say, and no one would do nothing.

There is room for improvement though. I didn't say it is uhuru yet. cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by sylve11: 4:47pm On Sep 21, 2023
nairalanda1:

Rightly said, anyway.

Thanks. cool
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by planetx: 4:48pm On Sep 21, 2023
sonnie10:
The one I don’t understand is, when people see you and smile, are they

Smiling at you?
Smiling for you?
Smiling with you?
Smiling about you
Or just smiling?

They do these a lot here and it makes me quite uncomfortable.
Stiff upper lip, common with the British. It means nothing and it's very superficial. More like a cultural thing not that they like you.
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by SeriouslySense(m): 4:49pm On Sep 21, 2023
As long as you have invested for yourself be it in sufficiency or at the village, then its better to have that option to return gracefully

Skyview01:
Over a decade here.

No racism personally directed at me as I dey respect myself Jejelly.

My daughter complained of racism in her school when she was in Junior high by one or two of her teachers after the fact.

At any time I feel uncomfortable abroad, I go return to my father's land.

I will not take shit ins the name of traveling and living abroad.
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 4:49pm On Sep 21, 2023
ffo:
The worst discrimination i had was in Malaysia where landlord asked me get a foreigner to serve as guarantor for me even though i was on work visa.

Another one was some top banks in Malaysia refused to open a salary account for me telling me that they blacklisted Nigerians.

I sha left the country
They don't have tolerance for crime

Meanwhile Nigerians both the leaders and the led just dey romance every kind of illegality known to man.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Airlord2030: 4:49pm On Sep 21, 2023
when tribalists complain of racism

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by SeriouslySense(m): 4:50pm On Sep 21, 2023
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Airlord2030:
when tribalists complain of racism

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 21, 2023
SeriouslySense:
As long as you have invested for yourself be it in sufficiency or at the village, then its better to have that option to return gracefully

I honestly envy people who live in the village and if I have to return, I will go the the village. I wan drink fresh palm wine, better koko, and rocky akara for breakfast and hear cock crow in the morning. In the next two or three years, I want to be shuttling. Six months in Naija and six months abroad.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Billygee2u: 4:51pm On Sep 21, 2023
CandidAdmin:
Nigerian based abroad, please share your experience with racist or when you are being discriminated because of your color.

Note: This is not an Anti Japa thread.
I have long stopped commenting on Nairaland because of miscreants and bigots that full Nairaland .
Before you remove the dust in someone's eyes, first remove the log of wood in your own eyes .
Before, talking about racism and discrimination in abroad, first deal with the tribalism, ethnic bigotory and discrimination in Nigeria.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Qatar 5 Years Working Visa - A Deception, A Big Fraud! / Petrol Tanker Explosion In Okene, Kogi State (Photos, Video) / Accident Kills A Woman Travelling With Her 2 Kids In Niger State (Disturbing Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.