Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,648 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:29 PM

Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall (5525 Views)

Bad State Of Ariaria International Market In Aba After Heavy Rainfall (Photos) / See How Lagosians Struggle To Get To Their Destinations After Heavy Rainfall / See What Some Streets In Lagos Look Like After Heavy Rainfall (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by aloyemeka1: 11:36pm On Oct 18, 2011
[size=14pt]Landslide hits Enugu[/size]
on OCTOBER 18, 2011 · in NEWS

By Tony Edike
ENUGU— OVER 20 communities in Awgu and Oji-River Local Government Areas of Enugu State have been thrown into serious difficulties, following a major landslide which cut off a portion of the Awgu-Achi-Oji River federal road.

The landslide on the road now under rehabilitation, reportedly occurred at Egu-Agbo Ifitte Mmaku end last Friday after a heavy rainfall.

The rehabilitation project was awarded by the Federal Government last year as a constituency project of the Deputy Senate President, Chief Ike Ekweremadu, and work had progressed steadily before the unfortunate disaster which has rendered the road impassable.

A farmer at Mmaku, Mrs. Nwamaka Ekwe, told reporters who visited the area yesterday that the incident was like an earthquake, lamenting that economic activities in the area had been paralyzed by the disaster.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/10/landslide-hits-enugu/
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by EkoIle1: 1:47am On Oct 19, 2011
And one ignorant ibo fool was boasting that stuff like rain related natural disasters don't occur in Enugu. I'm not even sure this is land slide, looks more like the same erosion plaguing the whole eastern part of Nigeria.

And the same ignorant people are always quick to bad mouth tree planting when in fact they should be the ones planting trees to save the whole region.

Sometimes I wonder about these people I swear.
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by ezeagu(m): 2:51am On Oct 19, 2011
Eko Ile:
And the same ignorant people are always quick to bad mouth tree planting when in fact they should be the ones planting trees to save the whole region.

Could you explain to us how that works?
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by EkoIle1: 3:15am On Oct 19, 2011
ezeagu:

Could you explain to us how that works?

Are you serous? Is this a trick question because the fact that trees prevents landslides and erosion is pretty much elementary?

Let me know if this is a joke or trick question before I waste my time.
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by aljharem3: 3:20am On Oct 19, 2011
Eko Ile:

And one ignorant ibo IGBO fool was boasting that stuff like rain related natural disasters don't occur in Enugu. I'm not even sure this is land slide, looks more like the same erosion plaguing the whole eastern part of Nigeria.

Na wa oooo eko ile
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by udezue(m): 3:25am On Oct 19, 2011
EkoIle, guy shut ur trap. U can't make a comment without attacking people. Were dropped on ur head by the doctor that helped deliver u? Tree planting definitely helps keep soil together.
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by EkoIle1: 3:33am On Oct 19, 2011
alj_harem:

Na wa oooo eko ile

Don't you have so follow follow Gbammmm Gbammmmm to do somewhere?
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by EkoIle1: 3:33am On Oct 19, 2011
udezue:

EkoIle, guy shut your trap. U can't make a comment without attacking people. Were dropped on your head by the doctor that helped deliver u? Tree planting definitely helps keep soil together.

Show me the insult or STFU.
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by naijaking1: 3:52am On Oct 19, 2011
Eko Ile:

And one ignorant ibo fool was boasting that stuff like rain related natural disasters don't occur in Enugu. I'm not even sure this is land slide, looks more like the same erosion plaguing the whole eastern part of Nigeria.

Sadly, I have to agree with you on this one.
My people, even the governor thinks cutting down trees is the way to develope embarassed
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by SouthEast1: 4:55am On Oct 19, 2011
naijaking1:

My people, even the governor thinks cutting down trees is the way to develope embarassed

Can you prove this? Do they cut trees down for the fun of it or you mean you can build roads, houses and bridges without decapitating trees that stand on the way?
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by EkoIle1: 5:27am On Oct 19, 2011
South-East:

Can you prove this? Do they cut trees down for the fun of it or you mean you can build roads, houses and bridges without decapitating trees that stand on the way?

The question is, are you planting trees?

Do you have tree planting policies

What strategies do you have in place to stop or prevent erosion and landslide?
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by SouthEast1: 5:35am On Oct 19, 2011
Eko Ile:

The question is, are you planting trees?

Do you have tree planting policies

What strategies do you have in place to stop or prevent erosion and landslide?

So you are the one planting all the trees in Igboland? Can you compare the greenery in Imo (for example) with that in Oyo (for example). We can compare existing threads on the two cities. You are a complete mo-r-on.
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by SouthEast1: 5:36am On Oct 19, 2011
Vanguard (Lagos)
Nigeria: Enugu Launches Tree Planting Campaign

Tony Edike

13 August 2009

http://allafrica.com/stories/200908130936.html
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by SouthEast1: 5:37am On Oct 19, 2011
Daily Champion (Lagos)
Nigeria: Enugu - South African Group Donates 10,000 Tree Seedlings

13 September 2010

http://allafrica.com/stories/201009170080.html
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by SouthEast1: 5:38am On Oct 19, 2011
Tree planting, solution to climate change -- Director

August 04, 2011 15:55

Planting trees, solution to accelerating climate change

NAN-H-37

Trees

Enugu, Aug. 4, 2011 (NAN) The Enugu State Ministry of Environment and Mineral Resources has said that tree planting will help solve the problem of climate change. More here:

http://nannewsngr.com/section/4/tree-planting-solution-to-climate-change-director
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by SouthEast1: 5:40am On Oct 19, 2011
BTW, tree planting is only a facet of the solution, not the complete solution
Tree planting and environmental engineering will work alongside each other
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by EkoIle1: 5:54am On Oct 19, 2011
South-East:

BTW, tree planting is only a facet of the solution, not the complete solution
Tree planting and environmental engineering will work alongside each other

We are talking about tree planting, this is a very cheap and effective solution. And what difference does it make? Which one are you doing at this very minute? Zero.
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by SouthEast1: 5:58am On Oct 19, 2011
^^^^
I guess you are blind to the three links I provided above, Senile fo/ol?
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by EkoIle1: 6:03am On Oct 19, 2011
South-East:

^^^^
I guess you are blind to the three links I provided above, Senile fo/ol?

I'm not interested in your bogus on paper tree planting scheme? Show us pictures of your leaders planting trees and where the trees were planted.

Btw,  NAN reports that 10 trees were planted during the flag-off ceremony.  (NAN)

10 trees flag off ceremony? 10 freeking trees?

Lagos state alone done plant over 3 million trees,

I'm glad you didn't apply the famous ibo massive, huge and mega lingo to describe your 10 tree planting scheme.

LMAO
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by ifyalways(f): 6:20am On Oct 19, 2011
cheesy Quite funny.

The energy spent pulling out articles et all just to prove a lame point.

@Topic,done is done.What is the government plans for the affected community?what are we gonna do as individuals to prevent future and further disaster?

Btw is that really a landslide
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by ektbear: 6:27am On Oct 19, 2011
Hmm.

This landslide/erosion stuff, has it always been a problem in the east? Or is it more recent? Perhaps a product of climate change, destruction of trees?

100 years ago were landslides common? Or even 50 years. Anyone know (Nchara maybe)?
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by lagcity(m): 6:28am On Oct 19, 2011
trees are very important to the ecosystem but some ignorant ppl make fun of governors who plant trees. heck, a kenyan even won a nobel for planting trees. but all my ppl seems to care about are beautiful roundabouts. smh.
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by EkoIle1: 6:41am On Oct 19, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hmm.

This landslide/erosion stuff, has it always been a problem in the east? Or is it more recent? Perhaps a product of climate change, destruction of trees?

100 years ago were landslides common? Or even 50 years. Anyone know (Nchara maybe)?

Always been. The region is siting on a hilly terrain and when you mix hilly terrain and heavy flooding together, you get serious gully erosion.

Deforestation is another problem in the area.
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by arsenefc: 6:44am On Oct 19, 2011
^^^

Classic 'google' case? Or first hand info?

I know you travel more than Ajala , so i am not shocked you know a lot about Enugu.
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by Akanbiedu(m): 6:49am On Oct 19, 2011
Must you always antagonize people to prove a point? You fo0l
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by EkoIle1: 6:50am On Oct 19, 2011
lagcity:

trees are very important to the ecosystem but some ignorant ppl make fun of governors who plant trees. heck, a kenyan even won a nobel for planting trees. but all my ppl seems to care about are beautiful roundabouts. smh.

Ignorance is indeed a decease.
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by ektbear: 6:53am On Oct 19, 2011
@Eko Ile: Got it, thanks.

Anyway, between the desertification in the north, erosion in the east, flooding all over the country, and climate change globally, I think any sane SWer should be for planting as many trees as possible and protecting the trees that exist. Definitely not a scientist with expertise in this area, but from what I know it can only help.

We shouldn't have to wait for disaster to strike before we act.
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by arsenefc: 7:02am On Oct 19, 2011
Eko Ile:

Ignorance is indeed a [size=18pt]decease.[/size]

Got it.

How 'deceased' is ignorance by the way?
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by eghost247(m): 8:37am On Oct 19, 2011
Tribalism will never end on nairaland undecided
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by otokx(m): 8:39am On Oct 19, 2011
Tribalism is a part of the Nigerian culture which is pretty sad and that is reflected in nairaland.
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 19, 2011
Eko Ile:

Guy, must u people turn every thread u post in into tribalist thread, how old are u, 10? undecided
Re: Landslide Hits Enugu After Heavy Rainfall by dhtml1(m): 8:49am On Oct 19, 2011
Decapitating trees? now that is a very funny one indeed. Government need to plant more trees. . .and jail tree-cuters too!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Throw Back Pix Of Gej's House, When He Had No Shoes / Natural Supplement To Reverse Diabetes. / How Buhari’s $2 Billion Chinese Loan Puts Nigeria At Risk–forbes Magazine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.