Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:38 AM

David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 (19010 Views)

Uti Nwachukwu: Ozo Is The Man That Most Men Are Too Cowardly To Be / NCIS Season 16 Episode 17 Se016ep017 Full Watch Online!! / Yang Dan, Chinese Weather Woman Hasn't Aged For 22 Years On TV Screen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by naptu2: 12:36am On Sep 26, 2023
David McCallum: NCIS and The Man from U.N.C.L.E actor dies aged 90

By Max Matza
BBC News

British actor David McCallum is being remembered as a "true renaissance man" after his death at age 90.

McCallum was most recently known for playing a pathologist on hit CBS TV programme NCIS, which went on to generate several spinoff series.

In the 1960s, McCallum played a secret agent on hit spy drama The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

The Scottish-born actor died in New York on Monday. His death was due to natural causes.

"David was a gifted actor and author, and beloved by many around the world," CBS said in a statement.

"He led an incredible life, and his legacy will forever live on through his family and the countless hours on film and television that will never go away."

His role in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - in which he played a Russian agent - won him many fans, particularly young women charmed by his good looks.

The series ended in 1968, but not before he received several Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for playing the role of Illya Kuryakin on the show.

McCallum found roles in films including The Great Escape, The Greatest Story Ever Told, and A Night to Remember.

He also guest starred on TV series Perry Mason and The Outer Limits.

Born in Glasgow to parents who were classical musicians, he initially pursued a career in music before finding work as an actor.

His role on NCIS came after he appeared for a role in the show JAG, which led to the NCIS spinoff. NCIS itself later went on to generate other NCIS shows, including NCIS: Los Angeles and NCIS: New Orleans.

McCallum also found work as a voice actor for children's cartoons and video games.

A statement issued by his family called him a " true renaissance man".

"He was fascinated by science and culture and would turn those passions into knowledge," it said.

"For example, he was capable of conducting a symphony orchestra and (if needed) could actually perform an autopsy, based on his decades-long studies for his role on NCIS."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66919863?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by naptu2: 12:36am On Sep 26, 2023
naptu2:
Unfortunately the videos and pictures that I posted back then are all gone.

naptu2 post=76343329:
shocked shocked shocked

grin grin grin

I'm writing a post/thread and it reminded me of back when I used to see this man on my TV screen around 7am every Saturday and Sunday morning between 1980-1984.

I decided to add him to my post, but I couldn't remember his real name, so I decided to google it.

That's when I discovered that he has been appearing on my TV screen almost every night for the past 6 or 7 years. What's worse, I remembered that I had found this out when I googled his name a year or two ago!

This is the way he looked 40 years ago. Can you figure out who he is, the TV show he appears in at the moment and what he looks like now?

(I'll reveal the name of the show that he appeared in 40 years ago in my post/thread).

naptu2:

I might not finish that post or thread anytime soon, so I'm going to reveal who the person is.

Dear diary, I told you that Lagos Television transformed into Lagos Weekend Television and transmitted nonstop from 7pm on Fridays till 7am on Mondays between c1980 and 1985 when their studio burnt down. This series was one of the series that was shown on LWT very early in the morning on Saturdays and Sundays.

If I remember correctly, this series initially appeared on the NTA before it appeared on LWT. My post/thread is not about the series, rather it is about the device on which I sometimes watched the series.

The series is the "Invisible Man" which aired in the US in 1975 and which was shown on the NTA c1979/1980 and on LTV/LWT c1980-1987.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/8920280_mccullum_jpegcafeff075f1b45a532fae8d9a1e909bf

Daniel Westin is a scientist who works at the Klae Corporation. He is conducting experiments on teleportation. He discovers that one of the side effects of his experiments is that he is able to make things disappear for a few minutes. Well, they don't actually dissapear, they become invisible.

He tells his boss about his discovery, but his boss is not impressed. He then makes his boss' pen invisible. This spooks and impresses his boss at the same time, especially when the pen reappeared after a few seconds.

His boss was happy and was talking about military applications for this invention. Westin was shocked. He never thought that his invention would be used by the military. His boss revealed that his research was being funded by the Pentagon and that the military funded it and so the military will use it.

Daniel Westin breaks into his lab at night in order to destroy his machine. However, he inadvertently triggers an alarm and he had to make himself invisible one last time in order to escape.

He makes himself invisible, overloads the machine and escapes.

Unfortunately the process was unstable and he only reappears for a short time before becoming invisible again. He can no longer become visible.

He goes to his friend (a renowned plastic surgeon) who creates a mask for him. He looks like any other person when he wears his mask and gloves.

He eventually resolves his dispute with the Klae Corporation (they discover that his invention is not stable) and they use him (and his wife) to solve cases on behalf of the government.

This is the intro of the Invisible Man. Unfortunately the video ends before he takes off his mask. You have not really seen the intro if you haven't seen him take off his mask, so I included a picture of him taking off his mask below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzb2wWJ2qRI

The name of the actor that played the part of Daniel Westin is David McCallum.

David McCallum currently plays the role of Dr Donald Mallard (Ducky) on NCIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd1scmAits8

David McCallum is

3) The Invisible Man (1975)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=defvmJBs1B8

1 Share

Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by naptu2: 12:36am On Sep 26, 2023
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by naptu2: 1:10am On Sep 26, 2023
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by OMEGA009(m): 4:52am On Sep 26, 2023
Goodbye Doc. Thanks for making TV worth watching.

1 Like

Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by Aboguede(m): 4:54am On Sep 26, 2023
When I first read died at the age of 90, my mind rush go for Tinubu shocked

The way this country dey move now, If u never get ak47, u better dey pray ooh grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by money121(m): 4:54am On Sep 26, 2023
Verily we belong to Allah, and verily to Him do we return.

5 Likes

Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by Sektor101(m): 4:56am On Sep 26, 2023
Y
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by Racoon(m): 4:57am On Sep 26, 2023
Remember him back then. What a legend! Rest in peace sir.
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by eliwa47(m): 4:59am On Sep 26, 2023
Rest on David!
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by favour32(m): 5:04am On Sep 26, 2023
Who reach 90 for Nigeria na don .
Country wey nor send her citizens.
Cooking gas na N1000K per kg.

That na tip of the iceberg for so many increment to come.
E good because na only Igbo tribe the increment affect.
Other dominant tribes dey buy am perhaps, N100 per kg.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by nairalanda1(m): 5:19am On Sep 26, 2023
Goodnight Ducky.
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by OgaTheTop2: 5:19am On Sep 26, 2023
A good actor. Rest in peace David.

2 Likes

Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by lesbiconverter: 5:24am On Sep 26, 2023
naptu2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1NGEidXo7s?si=ii642HhCE1Ziu2Uz
We used to call him yori yori because he removes his head 😂

RIP to the great actor 😢
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by MrsTwrite(f): 5:34am On Sep 26, 2023
I don't know him.
Rip sir.
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by Chibuzoripob: 5:36am On Sep 26, 2023
sad ki oluwa f'orun ke sad
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by yahoodetector: 5:39am On Sep 26, 2023
I remember the movie.

"Oh...and you have a new code name...U.N.C.L.E!"

Rest in Peace sir
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by propsvilla2: 6:02am On Sep 26, 2023
RIP Sir
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by Oritna94(m): 6:02am On Sep 26, 2023
A great actor and a legend. I never new he was invisible man. NTA Jos used to show it in the eighties. He was great in NCIS. Rest in peace doc..

2 Likes

Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by bewla(m): 6:09am On Sep 26, 2023
Rip
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by ZaddyJ: 6:11am On Sep 26, 2023
Rest in peace
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by CharleyBright(m): 6:14am On Sep 26, 2023
I watched The Man from UNCLE series on Tv as a young boy in the early 80s. It was also about that time "The Invincible Man' was aired on Tv.
But I didn't know he acted the invincible man.
Great TV series back then that kept us glued to tv on weekends.
Rip.

1 Like

Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by enemyofprogress: 6:27am On Sep 26, 2023
Good night. Help us greet Mohbad. Tell am sey police still dey investigate him case to know the people wey kill am
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by Burgerlomo: 6:35am On Sep 26, 2023
RIP sir
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by Reference(m): 6:48am On Sep 26, 2023
Wow, Doccie has left the building.
A true legend of the silver screen.
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by thesicilian: 7:14am On Sep 26, 2023
Aboguede:
When I first read died at the age of 90, my mind rush go for Tinubu shocked

The way this country dey move now, If u never get ak47, u better dey pray ooh grin
It is quite possible that many people who wished Buhari dead throughout his 8yrs of office ended up dying before him.
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by LordReed(m): 7:25am On Sep 26, 2023
Valar Morghulis. Rest in peace.
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by rukyboy(m): 7:34am On Sep 26, 2023
Rest in peace Docky!
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by Toyade888(m): 7:42am On Sep 26, 2023
Rip Docky
Re: David McCallum: NCIS And The Man From U.N.C.L.E Actor Dies Aged 90 by FKMagazine(m): 8:16am On Sep 26, 2023
May his soul rest in peace

(1) (2) (Reply)

BBNaija: Alex Father, Asogwa Ifeanyichukwu Thanks Nigerians For Supporting Her / All Winners Of The 88th Academy Awards / Trailer Of 'The Four Boys' (An Aluu 4 Movie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.