Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,486 members, 7,770,182 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:53 AM

Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? (6974 Views)

Film House Cinema, Heritage Mall Razed By Fire In Ibadan! / BBA Hotshot:- It Time For Esther And Co Showing- Shower Hour / My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by lynx200(m): 7:00pm On Oct 19, 2011
have been doing some research on our local cinemas and discovered that most of them are priced out of the reach of the majority. I read an article at www.balancingact-africa.com/news/broadcast/issue-no28/top-story/cinema-the-rise-of-v/bc and i have been thinking, why can't we just upgrade the numerous soccer viewing centers into neighbourhood cinemas(wit better atmosphere than they have now) and have a business plan that is based on $1(N150-N200 entry tickets per viewing) This are closer to the neighbourhoods and won't hurt your pockets unlike the silverbirds that will set you apart by at least N2000-N3000 per trip. i am going into movie production( presently into writing and acting) and like to avoid those hawkish alaba boys but the cinema attendance figures in Nigeria is not encouraging for a country of 150 million population. What do you think guys lets talk.

1 Like

Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by garbigarba: 1:52am On Oct 20, 2011
truetalk, i just dont see it happening
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by lynx200(m): 9:05am On Oct 21, 2011
but why not? all you have to do is find a way to upgrade a viewing center with some simple facilities i.e. standard chairs, large screen or a white projecting board(which means u gotta d room),a projector and an inviting environment  and u have something. I know it's not as easy as it looks on paper but I am just thinking aloud. who knows maybe someone could get a spark out of this idea, after all viewing centers didn't exist in the 90's.In India the home of bollywood the average price for a cinema ticket is between $0.50-$1.00 per viewing.Why can't we do such here after all cinemas in the 80's charged below one naira then. (equivalent to a dollar then)

1 Like

Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by iice(f): 5:24pm On Oct 22, 2011
Money, laziness, incentive etc etc.
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by Orikinla(m): 7:53am On Oct 23, 2011
lynx200:

have been doing some research on our local cinemas and discovered that most of them are priced out of the reach of the majority. I read an article at www.balancingact-africa.com/news/broadcast/issue-no28/top-story/cinema-the-rise-of-v/bc and i have been thinking, why can't we just upgrade the numerous soccer viewing centers into neighbourhood cinemas(wit better atmosphere than they have now) and have a business plan that is based on $1(N150-N200 entry tickets per viewing) This are closer to the neighbourhoods and won't hurt your pockets unlike the silverbirds that will set you apart by at least N2000-N3000 per trip. i am going into movie production( presently into writing and acting) and like to avoid those hawkish alaba boys but the cinema attendance figures in Nigeria is not encouraging for a country of 150 million population. What do you think guys lets talk.
. Thank you for your concern. Screen Naija is already set in motion to do so with The Projection Foundation. See www.projectionfoundation.org. And mobiCine with the support of ACP is already doing so in Senegal and Mali which I reported before. Greed is not good business for the elitist cinema chains currently in shopping malls in Nigeria.  Extortion driven by greed is encouraging piracy and doing more harm to our film industry.
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by lynx200(m): 12:40pm On Nov 01, 2011
Orikinla:

. Thank you for your concern. Screen Naija is already set in motion to do so with The Projection Foundation. See www.projectionfoundation.org. And mobiCine with the support of ACP is already doing so in Senegal and Mali which I reported before. Greed is not good business for the elitist cinema chains currently in shopping malls in Nigeria.  Extortion driven by greed is encouraging piracy and doing more harm to our film industry.   

I like this.Thank God someone is at least making a move. I particularly like the idea of the inflatable screen.By the way I just called you before making this post. I will hook up with you very soon. Nice one, dude. The one thing I want to ask is if this initiative is replicable on a national basis simultaneously and if one decides to adopt it as a business model if it is sustainable over a long term as I am interested in the cinema business since this is one of the missing links in the movie making business.

1 Like

Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 1:52pm On Nov 01, 2011
and Electricty? rights/license to show the movies i dont think N100 will be enought to cover these cost

except you are getting the films for free or way past its showing dates at normal cinemas

I think i had something up earlier- https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-622887.0.html

community cinema
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by KacHemNaU(m): 3:14pm On Nov 01, 2011
Dis Guy:

and Electricty? rights/license to show the movies i dont think N100 will be enought to cover these cost

except you are getting the films for free or way past its showing dates at normal cinemas

I think i had something up earlier- https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-622887.0.html

community cinema
true talk
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by lynx200(m): 3:46pm On Nov 01, 2011
Dis Guy:

community cinema

I have checked out your post. Nice idea, looks practicable but why not run standard nigerian movies? Why I thought of this is the number of brilliant folks in my industry(and out of it) who want to produce cinema quality movies but who find it a struggle to attract viewership at the cinemas.( imagine the highest grossing is IJE at 60 million,that must be around 40-60 thousand tickets,in a population of more than a 100mill?! Common there has to be a better way. Your idea looks practicable especially if combined with a fun spot which are opening up in the dozens. The only thing is the cost. if the start up costs is okay, one can quickly replicate this all over Lagos, then nationwide.Getting rights to Nigerian movies is no problem,that's my industry. You can do a revenue sharing formula with producers. And make sure you are selective with the nigerian movies you show.It means a lot. By the way would like to know if you have started work on your idea as I and my friends intend to go into production big time
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 4:26pm On Nov 01, 2011
lynx200:

I have checked out your post. Nice idea, looks practicable but why not run standard nigerian movies? Why I thought of this is the number of brilliant folks in my industry(and out of it) who want to produce cinema quality movies but who find it a struggle to attract viewership at the cinemas.( imagine the highest grossing is IJE at 60 million,that must be around 40-60 thousand tickets,in a population of more than a 100mill?! Common there has to be a better way. Your idea looks practicable especially if combined with a fun spot which are opening up in the dozens. The only thing is the cost. if the start up costs is okay, one can quickly replicate this all over Lagos, then nationwide.Getting rights to Nigerian movies is no problem,that's my industry. You can do a revenue sharing formula with producers. And make sure you are selective with the nigerian movies you show.It means a lot. By the way would like to know if you have started work on your idea as I and my friends intend to go into production big time

well you have to understand the figures behind the figures itself,with about '80% live on less $2 a day, '

and only about 6-8 cinemas outside of lagos, very easy to spot the reason why the revenue is so low. I think the film,like other nigerian films took- a decent amount outside nigeria though especially amongst the nigerian/african population communities abroad

The start up cost to many business is just humuguous, most have to be built from scratch, electricty and then security

considering the very low amount of cinema quality films being made in nigeria I doubt one can afford to be selective-

that write up was just an idea, just like the first one, i have absolutely no intention of taking it forward, wouldn't mind sitting on the board of directors if someone takes it up though grin

2 Likes

Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by plutonian: 6:32pm On Nov 01, 2011
Hi All,

Good discussion you have going here.

The Community Cinema/Neighborhood Cinema (same thing) model is not new, and is already in the works in Nigeria. I had posted in Dis Guys previous thread too, to know if he was interested in working with us, but I think he just mentioned above that he doesn't plan to.

Lynx200, I will say again like I said in the other post, the concept is a good one, and a way to make cinema widely available. DisGuy addressed some true concerns - the electricity concerns,cost for rights (except you wait till far after showing date/first run cinemas have had their fill), etc. Also showing just Naija made movies will not cut it, unfortunately, except there is a sudden improvement in the quality/story-line of the "Naija made movie" (which we are also working on, but it will take a bit for that one).

Everything to be done will consume huge capital, of which we have secured for the most part (but like every business additional capital is always a plus, and allows for even more integration/expansion). Like I told DisGuy, We are looking for people to work with/partners, and I have some questions for you, as we can see your interests in this area and our company wants to discuss bringing you on-board under one of our models/spin of a new model with you in charge. Some things we'd want to discuss with you amongst others are:
- What your area/market focus is for starters (Lagos State for e.g. has lots of cities, so there has to be some niche/focus locations in mind). Do you already have a concrete plan on specific locations you have researched, the costs and reception by the public.
- how your finances are relating to the implementation. would you be bringing some capital too, or more working on implementation.

What is your contact? PM me or post a reply lets discuss further. Thanks.
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by Orikinla(m): 6:37pm On Nov 01, 2011
lynx200:

I like this.Thank God someone is at least making a move. I particularly like the idea of the inflatable screen.By the way I just called you before making this post. I will hook up with you very soon. Nice one, dude. The one thing I want to ask is if this initiative is replicable on a national basis simultaneously and if one decides to adopt it as a business model if it is sustainable over a long term as I am interested in the cinema business since this is one of the missing links in the movie making business.

Thanks for your interest and passion for the cinema.

Screen Naija Open Air Cinema Festival's "One Village, One Cinema" project is in two-fold; the non-profit cinema and the commercial cinema and both will be available in every conducive and safe community in Nigeria.

See the partners on http://screennaija.projectionfoundation.org/partners/ to get the full impact Screen Naija will make in Nigeria.

See the report by The Guardian on http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65206:around-and-about-nollywood-&catid=109:moviedom&Itemid=514

Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by olajide8(m): 9:01pm On Nov 01, 2011
Hmm nice business sense and talk gradually that would be what they would eventually "the viewing centres" turn into but is it really the films people go to silver bird to watch or the possibility of meeting jim ikye or a geniveve these are the attraction that come with going to a silver bird cinemas, and let's not forget the possibilty of meeting an old classmate whom is now a beautiful dame or dude taking a friend out to lunch on a date, the attraction of entering into a cleaner viewing environment, and let's not forget these films cost only 200 naira some a 100naira so why waste money going to a viewing center with no attraction
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 11:02pm On Nov 01, 2011
@Plutonian

Who are the 'us' and 'we' you refer to? Have you or are you doing anything on ground at the moment or still cooking up in the background?

I came across a lot of 'partner with us' or join our company we are launching next month'  actually hoping to see something concrete when I opened the Hot-Air Balloon thread --a lot of HOT AIR really   grin  I'm very sure you got something big coming up cos you're on any cinema thread in a flash!! keep us posted

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-42534.32.html#msg948535

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-42534.32.html#msg1213462

1 Like

Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by plutonian: 5:28am On Nov 02, 2011
@ Olajide7
You are right, people go to the cinemas not just to watch movies, but to socialize (that is part of the entertainment) , probably not to meet a genevieve or jim iyke (except at a premier) , but to mix and mingle, to pick-up/be picked up, etc :-). Community Cinemas would offer the same and will be within reach (people don't have to travel that far just to go to a cinema); a clean environment and all that is obviously a must to be presentable/inviting.

@ DisGuy
We refers to I and my colleagues/partners (our Company). We've been in the background for a while setting things up, getting financing and looking at the market, and its ready for rollout; we need more partners/man-power to run/work with us to execute; we need dedicated people who have the same zeal, goals and drive as we do, that way we resonate. Launching will be in Dec/January, and in the next month we will kick-off advertising to come-out fully to the public. We briefly outlined what we were doing at the beginning of this year. It wont be easy, but nothing is easy.
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by lynx200(m): 8:57am On Nov 02, 2011
plutonian:

Hi All,

Good discussion you have going here.

The Community Cinema/Neighborhood Cinema (same thing) model is not new, and is already in the works in Nigeria. I had posted in Dis Guys previous thread too, to know if he was interested in working with us, but I think he just mentioned above that he doesn't plan to.

Lynx200, I will say again like I said in the other post, the concept is a good one, and a way to make cinema widely available. DisGuy addressed some true concerns - the electricity concerns,cost for rights (except you wait till far after showing date/first run cinemas have had their fill), etc. Also showing just Naija made movies will not cut it, unfortunately, except there is a sudden improvement in the quality/story-line of the "Naija made movie" (which we are also working on, but it will take a bit for that one).

Everything to be done will consume huge capital, of which we have secured for the most part (but like every business additional capital is always a plus, and allows for even more integration/expansion). Like I told DisGuy, We are looking for people to work with/partners, and I have some questions for you, as we can see your interests in this area and our company wants to discuss bringing you on-board under one of our models/spin of a new model with you in charge. Some things we'd want to discuss with you amongst others are:
- What your area/market focus is for starters (Lagos State for e.g. has lots of cities, so there has to be some niche/focus locations in mind). Do you already have a concrete plan on specific locations you have researched, the costs and reception by the public.
- how your finances are relating to the implementation. would you be bringing some capital too, or more working on implementation.

What is your contact? PM me or post a reply lets discuss further. Thanks.

Thanks for the invitation. I checked out your other posts and you and your guys look like people I will like to partner with in bringing about a revolution in the industry. My email is jovikool@yahoo.com
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by Orikinla(m): 3:54pm On Nov 02, 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-795078.0.html#msg9466093

The Eko International Film Festival and the Goethe-Institut Lagos will host the press conference and screening of Iara Lee's Cultures of Resistance on Wednesday November 9, 2011, at the Goethe-Institut Lagos, Nigeria, at 3 pm.

Goethe-Institut Nigeria
Location Lagos
Lagos City Hall,
Catholic Mission Street
opposite Holy Cross Cathedral
Lagos Island.

Cultures of Resistance features the recollections of the socio-political resistance of the legendary Afrobeat king Fela Anikulapo Kuti, the Niger Delta Militants of contemporary political struggle in Nigeria and other forces of resistance in other parts of the world.

Iara Lee is a Korean Brazilian film producer and director based in New York City. She is better known as the director of the documentaries Synthetic Pleasures and Modulations, as well as for her involvement with the "Gaza Freedom Flotilla", in which at least nine pro-Palestinian activists were killed by Israeli naval forces.

She is the founder of the Caipirinha Foundation and a member of the Council of Advisors to the National Geographic Society.
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by plutonian: 3:38am On Nov 06, 2011
Thanks Lynx200. Got your email; I've sent you an email. Let's make things happen.

Anyone else/Everyone who wants to be part of the team bringing big change to our entertainment industry should PM me or post a reply here with contact so we can discuss. Cheers!
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by ArQuAbOy(m): 11:10am On Nov 06, 2011
I'd like to be part of this innovation
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by kanisan(m): 4:04am On Nov 10, 2011
I like nollywood.
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by lynx200(m): 3:54pm On Jul 25, 2012
Hi guys just wanna tell you all that I am starting a cinema company which will be showing the best of Nigerian cinema movies. I'm making moves on that and will be updating u all as I go along and hope to start late August early september. At least I gotta put my money where my mouth is grin
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by lynx200(m): 7:03pm On Sep 15, 2012
If u are a university student put a smile on your face as Dreamplay will be storming campuses with the best of Nigerian cinema standard movies at student prices. Watch this space for more details
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:41am On Sep 18, 2012
What must be d criteria for a movie b4 its shown on ur cinema cos some of my senior colleague are working on a script which will really make wave when its out and they are considering showing it on cinema
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by lynx200(m): 9:55am On Sep 19, 2012
Just make sure that the story is good and interesting. Shoot with good equipment that will enable u have good pictures and sound,not neccesarily a celluloid camera, you can use a canon 7d or 5d camera series. Pay attention to the sound as this mars a lot of productions so ensure u get an experienced sound man. Lighting for the film is important and make sure u get a good editor. In short aim at international standards because that what viewers will want for a cinema movie. Good luck with your project. Will be expecting it soon.
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by Dyoungstar: 11:40pm On Jul 08, 2014
lynx200: Just make sure that the story is good and interesting. Shoot with good equipment that will enable u have good pictures and sound,not neccesarily a celluloid camera, you can use a canon 7d or 5d camera series. Pay attention to the sound as this mars a lot of productions so ensure u get an experienced sound man. Lighting for the film is important and make sure u get a good editor. In short aim at international standards because that what viewers will want for a cinema movie. Good luck with your project. Will be expecting it soon.

Hello, just stumbled into this thread...

I am shooting a movie with uncompromising Good story, I am 100% in support of this vision, as I would want to premier and show my movies on cinemas.

I am a movie writer and producer, one that is positioned and has a great desire to bringing revolution to Nollywood and standardizing the quality of movies produced within the confines of this countrt, in order to beat down the shameful productions that storm the nation year-in-year-out.

2 Likes

Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by Qoaki3k: 5:50am On Jul 09, 2014
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by VillageBoi(m): 8:13am On Jul 09, 2014
Dyoungstar:
Hello, just stumbled into this thread...

I am shooting a movie with uncompromising Good story, I am 100% in support of this vision, as I would want to premier and show my movies on cinemas.

I am a movie writer and producer, one that is positioned and has a great desire to bringing revolution to Nollywood and standardizing the quality of movies produced within the confines of this countrt, in order to beat down the shameful productions that storm the nation year-in-year-out.
That sounds great. Do keep NL updated with progress if you can.
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by dejahvu(m): 10:57am On Jul 09, 2014
U guys are not considering the north in ur plans....
In the 19 northern states of nigeria only abuja has cinema at two locations ceddi plaza and silverbird mall...
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by VillageBoi(m): 11:46am On Jul 09, 2014
dejahvu: U guys are not considering the north in ur plans....
In the 19 northern states of nigeria only abuja has cinema at two locations ceddi plaza and silverbird mall...
I'm pretty sure Mr Orikinla might have that in his plans. I've followed his cinema threads for a while and I believe his plans are pretty 'inclusive'. I'll try to dig into some old threads. But mind you the cyber attack on NL has wiped away a lot 2014 stuff.
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by dejahvu(m): 12:34pm On Jul 09, 2014
Aiiight
Re: Time For A New Type Of Cinema Model In Nigeria? by spygadgets(m): 2:10pm On Oct 04, 2015
Making seriouse land to start A cinema viewing center just bought A plot of land in iyana IPAJA area of lagos, @lynx200 can this be enough space to start. With.. Pls share ur experience so far.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Captain America, Now Captain Nigeria [photo] / AIT TV Suspended by NBC for Bellview Plane Crash Site Pictures / Football On Gotv???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.