Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,467 members, 7,819,709 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? (12426 Views)

Elders Bowing for 17-Year-Old Delta-King Chukwuka-Akaeze I / Colourful Reed Dance And Cultural Celebration That Promotes Respect For Women / which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by SPIFF(m): 4:25am On Oct 22, 2011
As far as I wish this issue not to generate ethnic battle, i guess I saw the division among us when we all should be one happy big family.
Well I have been previledged to travel to or  live in almost all the states within the country, what I discovered propelled me to raise the topic.
The respect i mean here is not only in prostrating.for example.in yoruba language there are different verbs/adjectives they use when addressing elders to differentiate from when one is communicating with a peer or soneone younger. Also in a gathering if a man say a proverb when addressing the people he has to seek permission of the elders before or after saying such proverbs. the list goes on and on. the topic is not necessarily saying other tribes dont have respect for elders but just identifying the tribe that does it more.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by mbatuku1: 6:38am On Oct 22, 2011
SPIFF:

As far as I wish this issue not to generate ethnic battle, i guess I saw the division among us when we all should be one happy big family.
Well I have been previledged to travel to or  live in almost all the states within the country, what I discovered propelled me to raise the topic.
The respect i mean here is not only in prostrating.for example.in yoruba language there are different verbs/adjectives they use when addressing elders to differentiate from when one is communicating with a peer or soneone younger. Also in a gathering if a man say a proverb when addressing the people he has to seek permission of the elders before or after saying such proverbs. the list goes on and on. the topic is not necessarily saying other tribes dont have respect for elders but just identifying the tribe that does it more.

What is your concept of doing it more? Are talking about dramatic displays genuflections?

You talk of using the plural pronouns when addressing an older person. Only few cultures do that and in my opinion it is just the structure of language. The only europeans I know that also do so are the french. But then again that can only lead to fake respect.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 22, 2011
mbatuku1:

What is your concept of doing it more? Are talking about dramatic displays genuflections?

You talk of using the plural pronouns when addressing an older person. Only few cultures do that and in my opinion it is just the structure of language. The only europeans I know that also do so are the french. But then again that can only lead to fake respect.

There is no such thing as fake respect. Respect is respect. If you are respectful, it will show in your actions or in your words. A Japanese may bow to you, that doesn't mean he is subservient to you in any way.

A Yorubaman may also prostrate for you, but kick him in the head and see what happens to you.

As for ibos, I heard they generally kick their elders in the groin to wake them up!! That is a no, no in Yorubaland.
Thou must never kick your elders. grin grin
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by codeworks(m): 9:21am On Oct 22, 2011
HAUSA. yourbas only respect people from their tribe. they disrespect people from other tribe. i experienced it during my NYSC. they always speak their language even when next person don't understand their language.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by codeworks(m): 9:31am On Oct 22, 2011
HAUSA. yourbas only respect people from their tribe. they disrespect people from other tribe. i experienced it during my NYSC. they always speak their language even when next person don't understand their language.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by tjtough: 9:56am On Oct 22, 2011
Am Yoruba but presently lives in the north and i've seen that the Hausas respect their elders more than any oter tribe in nigeia
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by tjtough: 10:07am On Oct 22, 2011
codeworks:

you got that wrong, like i said earlier am yoruba but lives in the north.eventhough the hausas are respectful of their elders,they are guilty of speaking their language even when they know u don't understand it. in my office,everybody just assumes i understand the language and will never speak english so all i do is to keep to myself
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Ricmayak1: 10:14am On Oct 22, 2011
You all are ill informed. You know only Hausa, Yoruba and Ibo and you are contributing. Yoruba does not come any close to Nupe in terms of respect. Make your research and comment based on facts. Nupe wins floorlessly!
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by dublinkmy6: 12:57pm On Oct 22, 2011
codeworks:

You are rigth, they also seem not to like people from other tribes especially igbos and hausas. You may argue that those of them in the villages cannot speak anything aside from yoruba language, so you cannot blame those if they speak it in your presence. But i work with alot of the learned ones and they love speaking it among themselves even if you are among them and don't understand the language. I don't have problems with that, but it is funny when you speak your own native language among them and you see them complaining about it.
They are also number one at eye service
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 22, 2011
I can't really say it's the Yorubas , the Yorubas are taught to respect their elders but not elders from other tribes , you can hardly call that respect , can you ?
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by cynthiafred67(f): 2:16pm On Oct 22, 2011
I think respect is a personal thing, don't get me wrong it is not as if yoruba people are more respectful than other tribes but it is the way they show respect to their elders. When a yoruba man shows too much respect some people will think he is foolish, when u don't respect ur self, only den will a yoruba man insult/disrespect u not minding who u are.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by StephenJoseph(m): 8:13am On Oct 24, 2011
All of u guyz re voting 4 d yorubas, bt let me tell u d truth. I was born nd brought up in yoruba land, lagos precisely. D yorubas gv respect 2 their fellow yorubas alone while disdainin other tribes common. Statistically, a yoruba person wil call his fellow yoruba elder "BROTHER" bt wen he/she sees oda tribe of d same age, he/she wil call him/her by his/her name. Dis is fraustratn! So respect is reciprocal. Other tribes accord respect as well nd not just d yorubas.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Obelomo: 8:51am On Oct 24, 2011
Yorubas
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Jarus(m): 9:04am On Oct 24, 2011
Stephen Joseph:

All of u guyz re voting 4 d yorubas, bt let me tell u d truth. I was born nd brought up in yoruba land, lagos precisely. D yorubas gv respect 2 their fellow yorubas alone while disdainin other tribes common. Statistically, a yoruba person wil call his fellow yoruba elder "BROTHER" bt wen he/she sees oda tribe of d same age, he/she wil call him/her by his/her name. Dis is fraustratn! So respect is reciprocal. Other tribes accord respect as well nd not just d yorubas.

This is true, but we are only following your tradition. If Uche's kid brother calls him by name, Uche, it makes no sense for me to call him Boda Uche, even though I am his kid brother's mate. It will be absurd to say 'boda Uche', since that's not in your tradition.

Also for Hausa, we usually add Mallam to it. Mallam Audu, Mallam Bako if the hausaman is mate to a person we will call boda in Yoruba.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by AndreUweh(m): 9:28am On Oct 24, 2011
I have always maintained that other ethnic groups are ignorant of Igbo culture. For those who have not been to the East yet, at least Nigerian films should educate you more. The Igbo use Mazi as Hausas use Mallam. The Igbo also use Dee or Dede as Yorubas use Egbon. Delta Igbo and Anambra areas use Brother or uncle as Dee is not a common usage there. In Yorubaland, some use brother or uncle as well. For example Uncle Muyiwa, uncle Dapo etc.
My advice to those who reside in Lagos or other major Nigerian cities, do not turn blind eyes when Igbo programmes are shown in your local TV stations.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by mbatuku1: 1:27pm On Oct 24, 2011
^
That advice should go especially to Jarus. He seems to the leader of the pack of the ignoramus here. lol
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by somegirl1: 12:51pm On Nov 01, 2011
They probably think 'dede' or 'nda' are first names when they hear them. grin grin
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by pkv(m): 1:47pm On Nov 01, 2011
tjtough:

Am Yoruba but presently lives in the north and i've seen that the Hausas respect their elders more than any oter tribe in nigeia
try going down 2 katsina,bliv me u wuld hav a rethink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Can I Learn Chinese In Lagos / I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. / Should We Promote Nigerian Languages More?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.