Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,265 members, 7,829,540 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? (28421 Views)

Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) / You Remember The NTA Ladies Of The 1970-90s? / Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by CJStarz: 8:17pm On Oct 05, 2023
That was when Nigeria was one. It featured on Thursdays,8-9pm, while FORTUNE,featured on Sundays., same time.
Ego Nnamani,now Boyo,was such a serious minded and uptight lady. Rarely smiled. RMD tried all he could to toast her,to no avail.
A great time we had indeed. That time NEPA didn't use to take light.
In FORTUNE, Ramsey Nouah and Pat Attah were the two sons of a tough, heartless woman,Liz Benson.
Sunday evenings,we watched Tales by Moonlight.
A fun filled weekend. After watching these dramas, our parents would order us to go and sleep so they can listen to NTA news. We were only permitted to watch Newsline anchored by the late amiable and soft spoken Frank Oliseh. That time,Abike Dabiri was an ordinary correspondent on Newsline.
Now I'm married with kids....undergraduates o
How time flies!
God bless those good old days

8 Likes

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by thatigboman: 8:20pm On Oct 05, 2023
Calitoscassius:
Where? In Naigeria? If it was in Naigeria then i would never have heard of it, I grew up in England..
o ok. It was in naija
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Odingaoz: 8:23pm On Oct 05, 2023
Anybody remember "Abass" the skin head guy, is he still in the movie biz.

2 Likes

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Wujio: 8:32pm On Oct 05, 2023
I love Noberts Young son. So down to earth guy
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by uuzba(m): 8:33pm On Oct 05, 2023
Calitoscassius:
Never heard of it, not over here anyway.
Well, unfortunately, the world doesn't revolve around you.
Sorry.
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Wujio: 8:33pm On Oct 05, 2023
CJStarz:
That was when Nigeria was one. It featured on Thursdays,8-9pm, while FORTUNE,featured on Sundays., same time.
Ego Nnamani,now Boyo,was such a serious minded and uptight lady. Rarely smiled. RMD tried all he could to toast her,to no avail.
A great time we had indeed. That time NEPA didn't use to take light.
In FORTUNE, Ramsey Nouah and Pat Attah were the two sons of a tough, heartless woman,Liz Benson.
Sunday evenings,we watched Tales by Moonlight.
A fun filled weekend. After watching these dramas, our parents would order us to go and sleep so they can listen to NTA news. We were only permitted to watch Newsline anchored by the late amiable and soft spoken Frank Oliseh. That time,Abike Dabiri was an ordinary correspondent on Newsline.
Now I'm married with kids....undergraduates o
How time flies!
God bless those good old days

Chai. You've taken me way back

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by TheSuperX(m): 8:36pm On Oct 05, 2023
Checkmate by Amaka igwe

Damn!!

2 Likes

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by PHAYOL81: 8:38pm On Oct 05, 2023
That character AKPAN was the guy that interested me the most. The encounter with the CULT group, his die-hard resolution not to give up on his girlfriend despite the threat and the following brutal treatment that got him hospitalized, his defiant act to settle scores with/against his foes by himself hence his not revealing their identities to the police, his final succumb to his friend's advice to join their CULT group, his initiation process which led to his disappearance off campus for days and then, the grand finale involving his role in the rival cults clash that led to many death, as well as the revelation that he wasn't as NAIVE as many had thought.

OLD memories

2 Likes

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by SocialJustice: 8:40pm On Oct 05, 2023
Racoon:
cheesy Checkmate ✔ Nostalgic moments back then with.This drama series was just one in its own class. This happened before the advent of active nollywoood.

The only sit-tight soap opera was almost close to Checkmate to me was "BEHIND THE CLOUD" and "WILLIE WILLIE". Again, the indomie generation will never understand. nlfpmod
Say what you want to say and leave indomie generation alone.
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Calitoscassius(m): 8:41pm On Oct 05, 2023
uuzba:

Well, unfortunately, the world doesn't revolve around you.
Sorry.
Yet you made out time and cares enough to respond and tell me that? grin grin contradiction or what?

TV you watched years ago is the world that is revolving around you right? Clearly not much has changed or happened in your life since then. undecided
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by omoyankee3(m): 8:43pm On Oct 05, 2023
I didn't really like the show back then, thought it was boring. Maybe because it wasn't made for kids
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by kokoA(m): 8:47pm On Oct 05, 2023
I didn't enjoy it then because I was quite small and never understood what was going on grin My uncles who were staying with us then kept gisting about how interesting it was and I'd be like "what do they even understand in this thing sef".

I preferred those telenovelas those days like Maria de lusangelus, wild rose, lady of the rose.

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Jewessgratitud3: 8:48pm On Oct 05, 2023
No one is talking about Chief and his battalion children. John Njamah and co. Ma begi fun e. Iya Toun, peaceful peace.

My favorites wete n
Nobert young's wife
Ada, And Nduka
Mama Nduka
RMD. He disturbed Ego boyo in that movie?

I've really missed the old times when the GenZ were not yet here with their TikTok, yahoo yahoo and on kolos wahala. undecided.

2 Likes

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Sillymoderators: 8:50pm On Oct 05, 2023
obiekunie01:
ANDREW IS CHECKING OUT!

that time Nigerians thought we have seen the worst, NOT KNOWING THAT SUFFER PROMAX IS WAITING IN FRONT !

MAY GOD FORBID ANY THING RESEMBLING BUHARI TO EVER HAPPEN TO THIS COUNTRY AGAIN.

ANYTHING THAT WILL MAKE US SAY WE MISS BUHARI! THAT THING SHOULD DIE BY FIRE!!!!
Off point.
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by enemmo(f): 8:55pm On Oct 05, 2023
Odingaoz:
Anybody remember "Abass" the skin head guy, is he still in the movie biz.

Talab Abass. That was ripples. Alex Usifo. I Think he still acts. He was in Black book movie with RMD.

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by enemmo(f): 8:58pm On Oct 05, 2023
My favourite character was Ann Haatrope..followed by her friend Ada.

My least favourite was Segun Kadiri..followed by Benibo's wife..wicked woman

Best scenes..Fuji House

Oh eba, Oh eba
When shall I see dodo?
(Ireti give us food oh)
When shall I see Ila and egusi?
I will never forget ponmo.

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Yinksy09(m): 9:00pm On Oct 05, 2023
When the show started, I was still in my mothers womb

The oraimo smart trimmer 2 makes life easier.

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by theamazonguru(m): 9:00pm On Oct 05, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Lol.
I used to hate this show back then, while watching it, I only looked forward to seeing adverts, especially that Imperial Leather Soap advert.

I preferred the Orebe Kumo and Jagi Legbo series…

See them here.
Awón gang local films. LOL
Awón films bi: Koto orun, Koto Aiye, Arelu, Eiye Jomijoke. etc

I come in peace
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by oluwasegun007(m): 9:00pm On Oct 05, 2023
Racoon:
cheesy Checkmate ✔ Nostalgic moments back then with.This drama series was just one in its own class. This happened before the advent of active nollywoood.

The only sit-tight soap opera was almost close to Checkmate to me was "BEHIND THE CLOUD" and "WILLIE WILLIE". Again, the indomie generation will never understand. nlfpmod

After the storm too
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by chccho(m): 9:04pm On Oct 05, 2023
This was the best soap opera of its time. It's was simply the best. I loved watching it and won't mind watching it all over again.
I remember akpan and Nobert young as his father.
I also remember how RMD was always chasing Ego Boyo.
What a great show it was.

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by article1: 9:08pm On Oct 05, 2023
Check out Bob Manuel Udokwu's suit shoulder pad in that video grin grin

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by chccho(m): 9:11pm On Oct 05, 2023
PHAYOL81:
That character AKPAN was the guy that interested me the most. The encounter with the CULT group, his die-hard resolution not to give up on his girlfriend despite the threat and the following brutal treatment that got him hospitalized, his defiant act to settle scores with/against his foes hence not revealing their identities, his final succumb to his friend's advice to join their CULT group, his initiation process which led to his disappearance off campus for days and then, the grand finale involving his role in the rival cults clash that led to many death, as well as the revelation that he wasn't as NAIVE as many had thought.

OLD memories
AKPAN was an action guy shaaa!!!
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by 7arrows: 9:22pm On Oct 05, 2023
FitCorper:
grin How time flies… I don Dey old oooo. Na to settle down remain for me… 😂😂😂

U never settle down. Men u need help o. I beg drop ur account number make we plan settle down for u.
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Originality007: 9:23pm On Oct 05, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Lol.
I used to hate this Checkmate show back then, while watching it, I only looked forward to seeing adverts, especially that of Imperial Leather Soap.

you must b from Ondo state
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by firearcher: 9:26pm On Oct 05, 2023
Does anyone know why the reply button disappeared and you suddenly cant comment anymore.

When you try to quote a post, it says - you cannot do that now, please try again in few hours.

Just checked back now and I can now comment again. Was I banned? Cuz I have no clue I broke any rule
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by rhames(m): 9:30pm On Oct 05, 2023
thatigboman:
Wow. Checkmate was so so interesting, but they didn't complete it. Ego Nnamani later Ego Boyo (that girl fine die), Bob Manuel uzoukwu and the 3rd guy, that their drunken brother. Kunle bamtefa, peaceful peace ( kunle bamtefa's side later turned to another programme Fuji House of Commotion). Richard Mofe Damijo. That short actor with now white hair.
Who remember "ragos is fuur of fryover"
Mehn, checkmate was lit!!!!

Ego is still beautiful after kids oh! This was one program that went off air in it's prime. Where can I get directors who can do this again?
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by warlordd(m): 9:31pm On Oct 05, 2023
Okiemute101:
This is an epic throwback honeslty... Francis Agu is dead I guess
Yes, he's late.
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by thatigboman: 9:53pm On Oct 05, 2023
rhames:

Ego is still beautiful after kids oh! This was one program that went off air in it's prime. Where can I get directors who can do this again?
I swear, this programme going off air broke my heart like mad. Ego Nnamani, Ego Boyo was a wonder. Always looking up to seeing her. And Richard Mofe Damijo (RMD) with his big shoes that look like Bata shoes (where are bata shoes?) That kunle bamtefa fuji first daughter and first son in the movie.

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Fearyourcreator: 10:24pm On Oct 05, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Lol.
I used to hate this Checkmate show back then, while watching it, I only looked forward to seeing adverts, especially that of Imperial Leather Soap.

Me too I only enjoy the sound in the movie... I ignore the movie like kilode
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Fearyourcreator: 10:24pm On Oct 05, 2023
Mandate1:
Awwn, memories. Robinhood, Doctor who, Oliver Twist, Twins fall apart, Tales by moonlight.

Sweet sweet memories.
The first two here ehn
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by CSTRR: 10:51pm On Oct 05, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBNaija: Pictures From Thelma's Birthday Celebration / AY's "A Trip To Jamaica" Rakes In N80Million In 10 Days / Obama Referred To As Chris Ngige By NTA (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.