Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,458 members, 7,830,281 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? (28424 Views)

Remembering The New Masquerade Soap Opera (Videos, Photos) / You Remember The NTA Ladies Of The 1970-90s? / Reminiscence: Checkmate the Popular Nigerian TV Soap Opera Series) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by okwusdaddy: 11:22pm On Oct 05, 2023
This series captivated the whole of Nigeria so much that when it ended it was as if someone died.Awesome!!
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by okwusdaddy: 11:26pm On Oct 05, 2023
PHAYOL81:
That character AKPAN was the guy that interested me the most. The encounter with the CULT group, his die-hard resolution not to give up on his girlfriend despite the threat and the following brutal treatment that got him hospitalized, his defiant act to settle scores with/against his foes hence not revealing their identities, his final succumb to his friend's advice to join their CULT group, his initiation process which led to his disappearance off campus for days and then, the grand finale involving his role in the rival cults clash that led to many death, as well as the revelation that he wasn't as NAIVE as many had thought.

OLD memories
The guy who acted that character has to be one of the best actors in Nigeria at that time,his acting deserves an Oscars.
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by zedman1(m): 11:49pm On Oct 05, 2023
Racoon:
cheesy Checkmate ✔ Nostalgic moments back then with.This drama series was just one in its own class. This happened before the advent of active nollywoood.

The only sit-tight soap opera was almost close to Checkmate to me was "BEHIND THE CLOUD" and "WILLIE WILLIE". Again, the indomie generation will never understand. nlfpmod
I preferred behind the clouds back then, I used to follow up on that series- then Nosa died. Checkmate on the other hand was to me, too "official" then, as I was still too young to understand what those guys in coats were saying. Then there was also Surple blues at that time too, but like one guy wrote up there, I was more interested in watching that 'Joy girl' advert that popped up at intervals than the programs themselves.... Oh, and I hated that Venus De milo advert too.

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by FILEBE(m): 11:50pm On Oct 05, 2023
xynerise:
I just love the Joy soap and Flourish Toothpaste ads grin

And Lipton " It's a sign of good taste..." Ads

Lol.

It's the sign of the the taste. Yeah. That toothpaste advert of using her teeth to beacon for help.. also Omo washing detergent.

Good Ole days.

Remember the soap opera, a
Hostages by Tade Ogidan?
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by FILEBE(m): 11:56pm On Oct 05, 2023
GboyegaD:
One of the best soap operas I watched growing up. I loved it the same way I loved "Behind the clouds", "Fortune", "Mega Fortune" etc.

Hostages nko? . Seems you guys are forgetting that one .
chccho:
This was the best soap opera of its time. It's was simply the best. I loved watching it and won't mind watching it all over again.
I remember akpan and Nobert young as his father.
I also remember how RMD was always chasing Ego Boyo.
What a great show it was.
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by DJInfluence: 5:24am On Oct 06, 2023
Did you noticed there were more calmer conversation in this series than shouting? Today the opposite is the case. More shouting and screaming. This series felt so calm and nostalgic reliving it again.
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by GboyegaD(m): 5:33am On Oct 06, 2023
FILEBE:

I can't remember that one.

I used to like the Telefest week where the various NTA stations will act a movie.
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by xynerise: 6:49am On Oct 06, 2023
FILEBE:

Lol.

It's the sign of the the taste. Yeah. That toothpaste advert of using her teeth to beacon for help.. also Omo washing detergent.

Good Ole days.

Remember the soap opera, a
Hostages by Tade Ogidan?
I remember Hostages very well. He kidnapped a politician's daughter though he was innocent of the allegations. Very emotional drama
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Mryacks: 6:52am On Oct 06, 2023
Had a a crush on Nduka's wife grin
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by FILEBE(m): 8:45am On Oct 06, 2023
xynerise:

I remember Hostages very well. He kidnapped a politician's daughter though he was innocent of the allegations. Very emotional drama

Yes!!!! I was always so thrilled when I see the helicopter scene . The guy is always escaping from prison
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Mrtaye: 9:30am On Oct 06, 2023
Mandate1:
Awwn, memories. Robinhood, Doctor who, Oliver Twist, Twins fall apart, Tales by moonlight.

Sweet sweet memories.
*Things fall apart
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Mrtaye: 9:33am On Oct 06, 2023
Marketgists:
Too long of epistle
Indomie spotted

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by judedwriter(m): 9:55am On Oct 06, 2023
FitCorper:
grin How time flies… I don Dey old oooo. Na to settle down remain for me… 😂😂😂

Quick quick o.

And let me officiate your wedding grin
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Mrtaye: 10:07am On Oct 06, 2023
FILEBE:

Hostages was later naw
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by phemmyfour: 12:36pm On Oct 06, 2023
Racoon:
Who and who were your favourite characters? Mine were;
-Ego Boyo.
-Nobert Young
RMD and Kunle Bantefa(fuji House of commotion)..maa begi fun e
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by phemmyfour: 12:37pm On Oct 06, 2023
FILEBE:

Hostages was a movie
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by phemmyfour: 12:38pm On Oct 06, 2023
Mandate1:
Awwn, memories. Robinhood, Doctor who, Oliver Twist, Twins fall apart, Tales by moonlight.

Sweet sweet memories.
Things

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by FILEBE(m): 1:57pm On Oct 06, 2023
phemmyfour:
Hostages was a movie
It was later adapted into a series I think
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Mandate1: 9:01pm On Oct 06, 2023
phemmyfour:
Things
oh, dint even notice the oversight.
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by Mandate1: 9:05pm On Oct 06, 2023
phemmyfour:
Things
thanks, just seeing the oversight.
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by kcbaba007: 2:12pm On Oct 07, 2023
GiftedHands47:
I track lost or stolen devices
A trial will definitely convince you

Contact me via WhatsApp on siggy below

Even phones?
Re: THROWBACK: Remember The "CHECKMATE" Soap Opera Of Yesteryears? by rhames(m): 9:10am On Oct 08, 2023
thatigboman:
I swear, this programme going off air broke my heart like mad. Ego Nnamani, Ego Boyo was a wonder. Always looking up to seeing her. And Richard Mofe Damijo (RMD) with his big shoes that look like Bata shoes (where are bata shoes?) That kunle bamtefa fuji first daughter and first son in the movie.

We grew in the best if times. If only the NTA will rerun these soaps for just one season so our kids can understand much of our past.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBNaija: Pictures From Thelma's Birthday Celebration / AY's "A Trip To Jamaica" Rakes In N80Million In 10 Days / Obama Referred To As Chris Ngige By NTA (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.