Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,582 members, 7,816,434 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre (20882 Views)

Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1000 Per Liter Mark / Petrol Landing Cost Hits N1,000/litre On FX Crisis / Forex Crisis: Marketers Propose ₦‎720/Litre, Suspend Fuel Imports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by treesun: 1:10pm On Oct 06, 2023
Many petroleum products depots are currently deserted due to lack of products caused by foreign exchange rate volatility, as the landing cost of Premium Motor Spirit, popularly called petrol, has increased to N720/litre, oil marketers said on Thursday.

Petroleum products’ dealers also stated that filling stations were shutting down daily in large numbers, as it was becoming increasingly tough to run the business. They said this could lead to widespread fuel scarcity in coming months.

It was further gathered that the landing cost of PMS into Nigeria had increased to N720/litre, up from N651/litre in August this year.

Speaking at the National Executive Council meeting of the Natural Oil and Gas Suppliers Association of Nigeria, in Abuja on Thursday, the National President, NOGASA, Benneth Korie, said a lot of depots were presently dried up or out of stock.

He said, “Depot owners are so terribly affected by the increasing cost of crude oil and exchange rate, to the extent that many depots are practically deserted as their owners are unable to secure bank loans to fund their business due to high-interest rates.

“Banks are not willing to guarantee funds release to stakeholders as a result of the difficulty, instability and galloping rates of foreign exchange and high cost of the dollar. Many depots are presently dried up or out of stock, and this is no gainsaying as it is evidently verifiable.”

He added, “Worst hit are filling stations whose owners find it extremely difficult to secure funds to procure products for their retail outlets. Both the independent and major marketers are so terribly affected.

“As of today, filling stations are shutting down in great numbers on a daily basis and dealers are going out of business, with many more on the verge of bankruptcy because of their inability to secure funds to facilitate orders for their stations.”

Korie said the government must therefore urgently come to the aid of the industry as quickly as possible to save it from an impending colossal collapse, which would result in a more devastating blow to the economy at large.

The PUNCH further gathered that the landing cost of petrol has risen to N720/litre from N651 in August.

The Chief Executive Officer, PETROCAM Trading (Nig) Ltd., Patrick Ilo, during an interview session with The PUNCH, said 52,000 metric tonnes of petrol imported by the company on Tuesday was already N720/litre without subsidies.

According to him, if the landing cost was already N720, the pump price should be around N729/litre in Lagos State if the Federal Government had truly stopped subsidising the product.

“This is the second time I am bringing in my vessel. But after bringing it in, I am trapped. I can’t sell it because I landed my own product at N720. And if you add transportation from depot to station, the value today should be N729/litre at the pump.”

He blamed the price hike on high foreign exchange rate, adding that the Federal Government was still subsidising petrol through the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited.

The foreign exchange rate of the Central Bank of Nigeria as of Wednesday was around N766/$1, while it hovered around N990/$ at the parallel market.

He said.”Yes, PETROCAM has an import license, and we have products in Nigeria. I want to say this out loud that I brought (in product) 52,000 metric tonnes of PMS today, which I borrowed about sixty-something million dollars to import.

“But I cannot sell. Why? Because of the price NNPC is selling. NNPC to my mind, they are still subsidising. NNPC is quietly subsidising the market. And I don’t blame the government. It is when we have a stable government that there could be prosperity.”

Ilo added, “As of today, NNPC is subsidising these products. And I’m talking about a subsidy of more than N100/litre. Because if you need to sell today, I landed my own product at N720. So how do you look at it? You look at it from the perspective of how much is diesel”

https://punchng.com/depots-deserted-as-petrol-landing-cost-hits-n720-litre/

5 Likes

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by creativehubb: 1:19pm On Oct 06, 2023
Government should impose import ceilings on goods we don't really need, we must drastically reduce our imports. If we don't demand dollars, it's value will drop. QED.

35 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by SoNature(m): 1:19pm On Oct 06, 2023
If we can stabilize power supply, the demand for petrol and diesel will be significantly slashed.

Why is Tinubu not making efforts to build power stations across the country? undecided

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by smileyoo: 1:24pm On Oct 06, 2023
It is well. hope this government will favour me , my family and my fellow citizens.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by CodeTemplar: 1:27pm On Oct 06, 2023
0/10. See me in my office Bola.

20 Likes

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by Treadway: 1:27pm On Oct 06, 2023
And so??.... E don tey, no be today. Whatever wan occur, make e occur. Orun yabo, ki'n se oro eni kan.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by CodeTemplar: 1:28pm On Oct 06, 2023
SoNature:
If we can stabilize power supply, the demand for petrol and diesel will be significantly slashed.

Why is Tinubu not making efforts to build power stations across the country? undecided
Thank you. They prefer to be in position to own them before building any.
This should drive down dollar rate too.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by CodeTemplar: 1:30pm On Oct 06, 2023
creativehubb:
Government should impose imprt ceilings on goods we don't really need, we must drastically reduce our imports.
...or better still, heavily tax those goods to discourage demand and thus need for dollar by every trader.

11 Likes

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by creativehubb: 1:33pm On Oct 06, 2023
CodeTemplar:
...or better still, heavily tax those goods to discourage demand and thus need for dollar by every trader.
Every government in the world put in deliberate measures to protect it's currency and economy. Using too much naira(resources) to buy few dollars is a huge capital flight and loss of our national wealth. Government must ban the usage of dollars inside Nigeria, force all embassies to collect naira as payment for embassy fees, and force nations that we buy from to collect naira, or we form a trade group where we pay for goods with local currency. It is a shame how we allow dollar and america rip us off.

66 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by mrvitalis(m): 1:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
SoNature:

"If we stabilize power supply "

Nigerians are too poor for constant power supply... Anyone who can afford constant power supply have it... It's just fact that you guys don't want to accept

Average Nigeria needs to pay $100 monthly per house for us to have power 24/7

Fuel would sale for 1000 there is nothing anyone can do about it ... You need about $100 to fuel your car monthly

The issue should be focusing on your people earning more than focusing on the impossible of reducing cost

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by treesun: 1:40pm On Oct 06, 2023
And they are not paying SUBSIDY!

4 Likes

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by Antoeni(m): 1:48pm On Oct 06, 2023
Tinubu Govt Government is.truly a Satanic Govt

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by ChronicGp(m): 1:55pm On Oct 06, 2023
It's still cheap, make e reach 1k no problem

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by Samade7: 2:06pm On Oct 06, 2023
It will not be well with T.

6 Likes

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by BoldBrainz(m): 2:08pm On Oct 06, 2023
creativehubb:
Government should impose import ceilings on goods we don't really need, we must drastically reduce our imports. If we don't demand dollars, it's value will drop. QED.

You cannot drastically reduce imports when you don't have locally produced alternatives to those import products you're cutting off.

Do you want to create chaos in a national dimension? What is even wrong with some of you?

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by BoldBrainz(m): 2:10pm On Oct 06, 2023
mrvitalis:

"If we stabilize power supply "

Nigerians are too poor for constant power supply... Anyone who can afford constant power supply have it... It's just fact that you guys don't want to accept

Average Nigeria needs to pay $100 monthly per house for us to have power 24/7

Fuel would sale for 1000 there is nothing anyone can do about it ... You need about $100 to fuel your car monthly

The issue should be focusing on your people earning more than focusing on the impossible of reducing cost

Nigerians are not too poor to afford constant electricity. Homes and businesses run on petrol generators, if you provide that electricity, Nigerians won't need those generators and will channel those resources to paying light bills.

Create the stable electricity first. Don't put the cart before the horse.

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by Siwisheswereesh: 2:10pm On Oct 06, 2023
NNPC earns dollars and does not need to source dollars from the parallel market.

So Mr Ilo, stop comparing yourself with NNPC sad

1 Like

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by mrvitalis(m): 2:19pm On Oct 06, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Nigerians are not too poor to afford constant electricity. Homes and businesses run on petrol generators, if you provide that electricity, Nigerians won't need those generators and will channel those resources to paying light bills.

Create the stable electricity first. Don't put the cart before the horse.
Lol you just spoke like a typical Nigeria

What's the percentage of people that run on gen? Most business barely use their gen

90% of Nigerians who can afford constant power have constant power.... If you know you want constant power dont you know an estate in your city with constant or near constant power?

Power is not important to Nigeria now as a president I won't even invest too much into its

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by BoldBrainz(m): 2:28pm On Oct 06, 2023
mrvitalis:

Lol you just spoke like a typical Nigeria

What's the percentage of people that run on gen? Most business barely use their gen

90% of Nigerians who can afford constant power have constant power.... If you know you want constant power dont you know an estate in your city with constant or near constant power?

Power is not important to Nigeria now as a president I won't even invest too much into its

What did I just read?!

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by mrvitalis(m): 2:29pm On Oct 06, 2023
BoldBrainz:

What did I just read?!
Yes you read right... Nigeria don't need power right not it's not that important
Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by BoldBrainz(m): 2:30pm On Oct 06, 2023
mrvitalis:

Yes you read right... Nigeria don't need power right not it's not that important

Omoh, nairaland is not for me abeg! I'm so over all of this right now.

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by ConfidentialDoc: 2:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
Next time no debate no vote...una don hear ?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by CodeTemplar: 2:42pm On Oct 06, 2023
BoldBrainz:

You cannot drastically reduce imports when you don't have locally produced alternatives to those import products you're cutting off.

Do you want to create chaos in a national dimension? What is even wrong with some of you?
import can be reduced. Tax specific import and watch demand for it drop because price increase leads to reduced demand.

2 Likes

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by happney65: 2:43pm On Oct 06, 2023
This Depot desertion will favour me and my familik in Jesus mighty name

Amen!

angry grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by Paraman: 2:43pm On Oct 06, 2023
NNPC and other major filling stations like Total will always have fuel and sell it at NNPCL price

4 Likes

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by BoldBrainz(m): 2:45pm On Oct 06, 2023
CodeTemplar:
import can be reduced. Tax specific import and watch demand for it drop because price increase leads to reduced demand.

Lol.

Please, list the specific imports you believe government should tax heavily to reduce domestic demand.

4 Likes

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by happney65: 2:49pm On Oct 06, 2023
creativehubb:

How do you reduce your imports when you don't even have electricity to produce here and the cost of Diesel has even gone off the roof

How?

14 Likes

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by creativehubb: 2:54pm On Oct 06, 2023
happney65:

How do you reduce your imports when you don't even have electricity to produce here and the cost of Diesel has even gone off the roof

How?
I said things we don't need...so many things we import are luxury goods, we don't need them. Force the manufacturers to come here and build the manufacturing units here, produce from here.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by creativehubb: 2:56pm On Oct 06, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Some products like whiskey, cigars, luxury cars, private jets, expensive body creams, perfume, luxury items in general, government can ban some or put heavy import duties on them, to discourage it's import...we should approach foreign producers to start off manufacturing plants in Nigeria. Critical times call for critical measures. We are looking for how to solve the currency crises, you are talking nonsense.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by Purvan(m): 2:58pm On Oct 06, 2023
The day oil cease to exist in Nigeria, nigeria is good as being dead

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by treesun: 3:03pm On Oct 06, 2023
Mynd44!
Re: Depots Deserted As Petrol Landing Cost Hits ₦‎720/Litre by BoldBrainz(m): 3:09pm On Oct 06, 2023
creativehubb:

Some products like whiskey, cigars, luxury cars, private jets, expensive body creams, perfume, luxury items in general, government can ban some or put heavy import duties on them, to discourage it's import...we should approach foreign producers to start off manufacturing plants in Nigeria. Critical times call for critical measures. We are looking for how to solve the currency crises, you are talking nonsense.

This is naivety speaking.

All those items you mentioned are luxuries whose imports don't even contribute up to 4 percent of the pressure on the FX market.

Why?
Those are items that are comfortably affordable to Nigerians that don't number up to 10 million, at this very instant. Taking them off the import list or taxing them heavily is going to have an infinitesimal effect on the current naira/dollar quagmire. And humans have a way of sourcing for things that are out of reach, even if they have to circumvent the system. The moment you raise taxes on those things or ban their importation, they automatically become twice as expensive as cocaine. Importers will put more money into smuggling them in, and those willing consumers will only be too happy to spend even more to acquire them. You have solved nothing.

You people keep prescribing paracetamol for acute malaria. Fuel, food, health care and education are the major drains on our FX right now. Fix the basic rots in those four places with local production, and you have automatically eased pressure on the naira by 50 percent. Those are the things every ordinary Nigerian sweats to afford. If those things are domestically produced in the right quantity and quality, importers will no longer make profits from bringing them in, cause people will opt for what is home and affordable.

50 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

No Evidence Of Electoral Fraud In River State -jega / I Remain Committed To Opposing The Buhari administration And APC- Fani Kayode / Buhari Is Surrounded By Thieves - Patrick Liuumba, Kenyan Law Professor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.