Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,808 members, 7,813,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages (12979 Views)

My Parents Are Using Their Lives To Ruin My Future!!! / Our Children Do Not Learn Local Languages In School Anymore. Why? / My Parents Are Forcing Me To Get Married While I'm Not Ready & Financially Fit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Vinnie2000(m): 7:45pm On Oct 10, 2023
I saw an IJAW Girl Recently, who came from her VILLAGE to Warri in 2020,
Got Pregnant for an Urhobo Boy whose Mother is IJAW. smiley

She Gave Birth to a Girl and Fast-forward to 2023, I discover that that She and her IJAW Mother-in-law was speaking English to her Daughter! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜•

I Painfully Asked Her 'You when be Thick IJAW Girl dey Speak English to your daughter?'.
She now Replied 'I want my Daughter to Sabi Speak Correct English o.
For their School, Any Wrong English, Dem go FLOG you'.

I was WEAK Instantly!

See how PRIVATE Schools are Unknowingly DESTROYING and OBLITERATING our Local Languages in Nigeria!๐Ÿ˜’

By 2040,2050, ALL NIGERIAN LANGUAGES will go EXTINCT, plus the ever Popular Yoruba Language.

Now, Every Nigerian PARENTS is Teaching their Children 'Correct English'
Because they wants to IMPRESS the Schools their Children Attend.๐Ÿ™

PRIVATE Schools too, Put Pressure on Children to speak 'Correct English' and even Phonetics to IMPRESS PARENTS!

TWO GROUPS Trying to Impress Eachother, to the Detriment of our LOCAL LANGUAGES. sad

So I ask, IS THIS TREND GOOD THING?

IS THERE ANY BENEFITS IN BECOMING EXPERT ENGLISH SPEAKERS,
WHILE ABANDONING OUR NATIVE LANGUAGES? ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคจ

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by VOsimhen144(m): 7:51pm On Oct 10, 2023
Bro, itโ€™s really patheticโ€ฆ. I donโ€™t know whatโ€™s wrong with dis generation, they barely speak their native languages. Every tribe in Nigeria wants to be speaking English, even the English dem no sabi speak am well.
I be confirm Edo guy, when I was growing up as a kid, we use to speak our language (Esan) everywhereโ€ฆ at school, at home, market e.t.c but thatโ€™s doesnโ€™t mean we no sabi English.

But if you go to village now, Majority of the children and youth canโ€™t even speak their language. Itโ€™s so sad.
They are all forming mumu English.

Thatโ€™s why God would continue to bless countries like Russia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ, Spain ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ, Croatia ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ท, Finland ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ, China ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ณ, Japan ๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ต and Sweden ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช. They fvcking donโ€™t care about English. They speak their mothers tongue to the fullest, dem no send ur papa. God punish English.

59 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by EyeCumInPiece: 7:54pm On Oct 10, 2023
Blackman languages will continue to be irrelevant until Blackman starts impacting the world positively. So far, blackman has little or nothing to offer the world.
So you can't depend on Oyibo technology etc & leave out their language.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by TemplarLandry: 7:55pm On Oct 10, 2023
Ignorance is what's killing our educational industry.

4 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by ojun50(m): 7:59pm On Oct 10, 2023
You dey blame the woman

If you go Nigeria EMBASSY na your language Them dey speak ?

If you go Aso rock na yr language them dey speak ?

If you fill form na which language you they use?

How you want make government approves the school if the school no speak English?

By bro no blame the woman Nigeria is complicated.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Vinnie2000(m): 8:02pm On Oct 10, 2023
VOsimhen144:
Bro, itโ€™s really patheticโ€ฆ. I donโ€™t know whatโ€™s wrong with dis generation, they barely speak their native languages. Every tribe in Nigeria wants to be speaking English, even the English dem no sabi speak am well.
I be confirm Edo guy, when I was growing up as a kid, we use to speak our language (Esan) everywhereโ€ฆ at school, at home, market e.t.c but thatโ€™s doesnโ€™t mean we no sabi English.

But if you go to village now, Majority of the children and youth canโ€™t even speak their language. Itโ€™s so sad.
They are all forming mumu English.

Thatโ€™s why God would continue to bless countries Russia ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ, Spain ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ, Croatia ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ท, Finland ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ, China ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ณ, Japan ๐Ÿ‡ฏ๐Ÿ‡ต and Sweden ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช. They fvcking donโ€™t care about English. They speak their mothers tongue to the fullest, dem no send ur papa. God punish English.

Edo State is TERRIBLE in this Regard! sad

Many in Benin City don't know more than 'Lare'.๐Ÿ™

Bini Language will go EXTINCT in 15,20Years Time! ๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜•

12 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Vinnie2000(m): 8:06pm On Oct 10, 2023
ojun50:
You dey blame the woman

If you go Nigeria EMBASSY na your language Them dey speak

If you go Aso rock na yr language them dey speak

NO!

I Just felt being a Core VILLAGE IJAW Girl, She should be able to Teach her Daughter the Language.
Instead of 'Correct English'. ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿ™

And Mother-in-law is IJAW too and lives in same house with Her! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜•

6 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by VOsimhen144(m): 8:06pm On Oct 10, 2023
ojun50:
You dey blame the woman

If you go Nigeria EMBASSY na your language Them dey speak

If you go Aso rock na yr language them dey speak

u still donโ€™t understand the op. Heโ€™s not saying we shouldnโ€™t speak English, all what heโ€™s saying is that we should also be teaching our children their native language.
If u go to aso rock and youโ€™re a Yoruba man, Tinubu will relate with you in Yoruba.
When buhari was in aso rock and his Fulani brothers come to visit, he would relate with dem in their native language but that doesnโ€™t mean he donโ€™t speak English.

They speak English when they want to address the general public.

30 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by lordm(m): 8:28pm On Oct 10, 2023
Colonisation has been placed on autopilot since. So many Nigerians don't know Jack about their native languages. Just go to any big private school and do the research, you would be shocked. Aka Gen Z

15 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Vinnie2000(m): 5:20am On Oct 11, 2023
lordm:
Colonisation has been placed on autopilot since. So many Nigerians don't know Jack about their native languages. Just go to any big private school and do the research, you would be shocked. Aka Gen Z

Private Schools did lots of Damage in this Regard.๐Ÿ˜

I have seen a Private school Lady teacher that doesn't answer the Greetings when you greet her Migwo in Urhobo. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿคจ

Unfortunately, they have colluded with PARENTS to make sure our Native Languages in Nigeria is KILLED and BURIED!๐Ÿ˜Ÿ๐Ÿ˜’

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by lordm(m): 1:12pm On Oct 11, 2023
Vinnie2000:

Private Schools did lots of Damage in this Regard.๐Ÿ˜

I have seen a Private school Lady teacher that doesn't answer the Greetings when you greet her Migwo in Urhobo. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿคจ

Unfortunately, they have colluded with PARENTS to make sure our Native Languages in Nigeria is KILLED and BURIED!๐Ÿ˜Ÿ๐Ÿ˜’
terrible thing to witness

3 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by LaSenior: 1:18pm On Oct 11, 2023
cheesy
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Dottore: 1:18pm On Oct 11, 2023
Ok
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Rector354: 1:20pm On Oct 11, 2023
Good
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by JuanDeDios: 1:20pm On Oct 11, 2023
Vinnie2000:

She Gave Birth to a Girl and Fast-forward to 2023, I discover that that She and her IJAW Mother-in-law was speaking English to her Daughter! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜•

I Painfully Asked Her 'You when be Thick IJAW Girl dey Speak English to your daughter?'.

I was WEAK Instantly!

See how PRIVATE Schools are Unknowingly DESTROYING and OBLITERATING our Local Languages in Nigeria!๐Ÿ˜’

By 2040,2050, ALL NIGERIAN LANGUAGES will go EXTINCT, plus the ever Popular Yoruba Language.

PRIVATE Schools too, Put Pressure on Children to speak 'Correct English' and even Phonetics to IMPRESS PARENTS!

TWO GROUPS Trying to Impress Eachother, to the Detriment of our LOCAL LANGUAGES. sad

Yoruba will survive. You see those small small languages from the South South? They're doomed! No hope for them - unless something is done.

10 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by vickthourh(m): 1:20pm On Oct 11, 2023
The choice is yours, to either teach your children their native dialect or continue with the English trend..

3 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by ednut1(m): 1:22pm On Oct 11, 2023
Neocolonialism at work. The black man no get sense

7 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by LeyeWrites: 1:24pm On Oct 11, 2023
Yoruba language cannot go extinct.

After graduation, everyone resets to their dialects or pidgin for communication.

8 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Pootle: 1:25pm On Oct 11, 2023
Africans dont have the mind of there own that why they wont progress even the op use English, we have 3major languages in Nigeria i think it should be compulsory for every citizen to be able to read and write in those languages, the perception that local dialect is for the uneducated should be stopped, India did not forego there language for English, we should adopt the India model

3 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Mandate2023: 1:25pm On Oct 11, 2023
I trust yoruba ppl to be proud of their language

11 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by valentineuwakwe(m): 1:26pm On Oct 11, 2023
I have said this long ago...how can parents and proprietors abolish primary 6 and would even allow primary 4 or 5 pupil to write common entrances examinations all in the name of the child is "brillant".....
How can they be putting exorbitant charges on textbooks which the child will not drop or keep for his upcoming siblings to use?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Moniya4Real(m): 1:27pm On Oct 11, 2023
But no be ONLY Nigeria the west colonized naw. Thatโ€™s why youโ€™ll never see an Indian that canโ€™t speak his or her language. You can even tell they are Indians by the way they speak English

6 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by theophorus(m): 1:28pm On Oct 11, 2023
Local language wen no dey cut money Abeg who get interest make he teach him pikin for house atleast for Native Wisdom things.

School own na to teach English cos na wetin dem go use write exams be that and na we country lingua franca be that.

Who get sense make he encourage speaking of vernacular for him house for Native OT things.

2 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by NapoleonHill: 1:28pm On Oct 11, 2023
Zhh
Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Antoeni(m): 1:28pm On Oct 11, 2023
Who Local Language Help

1 Like

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Advancedman(m): 1:30pm On Oct 11, 2023
Vinnie2000:

I was WEAK Instantly!

When the government removed all indigenous identity from our curriculum what do you expect?
Hyper corruption has killed control of Private schools by the respective agencies.
Super fantabulous inferiority and fakeism has destroyed parents on self worth regarding mother's tongue.

3 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by Teetee777: 1:30pm On Oct 11, 2023
Only happened in the southern states not in the northern states

7 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by NapoleonHill: 1:31pm On Oct 11, 2023
The tragedy of it all is that they do not even speak the language correct to their offspring. The children grown up giving a hogwash accent with incorrect phrases.

4 Likes

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by DesChyko: 1:34pm On Oct 11, 2023
Which black man's language is relevant, really?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Private Schools And Parents Are Killing Our Nigerian Local Languages by CoronaVirusPro: 1:34pm On Oct 11, 2023
The White race is a brilliant race!

You must give it to them if you want to be sincere.

They have distorted the foundation of everything!

Translated holy books to English, but never did for science, medicine or engineering books. grin grin grin

They have imposed culture, tradition, dressing, diet and etiquette's on even the unborn!

Drew maps and boundaries, and even named it.

Those lots got foresight!

13 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Prepare For Retirement Without Stress / That One Child That You Love, But Will Frustrate You Unintentionally / Toke Makinwa's First Vlog After The Scandal.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.