Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job (31072 Views)

Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) / Is 500k Enough To Migrate To Canada Or Finland? / Canada Or Germany, Which Country Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Adolfnigeria: 2:58pm On Oct 15, 2023
Bor ignore this people telling you to take the 500k job. 500k is actually nothing, that is about 500USD.

Take the risk and go to canada and get another citizenship. You can double your salary and experiences in canada. Nigeria is not running away but what is running away is your youth.

Inflation and devaluation will kill this salary. From what you have said you have a few advantages, rent and friend, that will help you in the first few months.

Be bold and move, do not confuse yourself or listen to this ignoramuses that cannot see the Nigerian trend.

PoliteActivist:
I already have my plane tickets o, and been planning my life in Canada oo!
Didn't think I'd actually land the job at all! 500K a month plus housing, car, health and life insurance benefits.
Why is life always like this??!! In serious dilemma what to do

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by planetx: 2:59pm On Oct 15, 2023
Another fake immigration thread, you only have a N500k job or Canadian visa in your sweet little dream. You better wake up and go do your chores. Just clicked on his moniker and read the rubbish back and forth he was having with sukkot on another thread he created about relocating abroad even if offered $40k to stay in Nigeria, keep deceiving yourself with fake contents.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Desusi: 3:11pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

I have a proper Canadian visa, a friend I can stay with, and some tech connections. That's it
What are you waiting for?The $500 dollars you're receiving here per month is just a part time job money over there.Ideally, for good salary and future prospect jettison anything Nigeria and move forward jare.A lot of uncertainties filled here.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by 2Radii: 3:15pm On Oct 15, 2023
alphabbey1:

My advice, you are on visit visa, take that 500k. Unless you are going for truck driving licence in Canada which will enable you to get job faster and convert to work permit, don't go to that place expecting a tech job with your visiting visa, its almost a pipe dream... and you wouldn't wanna gamble 500k salary on such...

Bros please, enlighten me more on the bold text cus that is my dream as well....enlighten me bro..

And secondly sir, is it possible for one to get a truck training almost immediately over there even when one has no prior experience??
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by RushManni: 3:17pm On Oct 15, 2023
AchrafHakimi:

Take the job and STILL relocate to Canada.
Work remotely from there since its a tech role.

Please tell me Tech jobs one can do remotely.

I am currently an IT support staff. If it's something I'll train for, I don't mind.

Thanks in advance
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by delpee(f): 3:18pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Oh, it is multiple entry. I can be in Canada for six months at a time, valid for 10 years

Why don't you defer your relocation since it's not compulsory for you to travel immediately? Getting good jobs in Canada is currently not so easy based on what I learnt from some recent immigrants. Though you may have a place to stay initially, your job location may require you getting accommodation elsewhere. Access to housing isn't so easy now. The rent is huge (depending on where you choose to stay).

Remember it's almost winter time too. Probably not the best of times to relocate without a job on ground. The good side is that IT staff are well paid and many work remotely.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by stankezzy: 3:18pm On Oct 15, 2023
I don't waste my advice again , a professor that have thought for 30years is paid 500k,some bank managers that have worked for many years are paid 300k ,then some body that got a job of 500k is asking if he will leave it to travel abroad , in music industry all d abroad returnees came back with nothing and became billionaires in Nigeria eg banky w, donjazzy,debang,Rema,even our president now , how much did he come back with from America, he became a billionaire in Nigeria
In politics and business eg adenuga glo, Reno omokri, all came back with nothing and became billionaires in Nigeria, u no get sense pass all of them , don't mind people that doesn't have passport telling u that 500k naira is less than 500$, in Nigeria and your home town how many billionaires have u ever seen coming back from abroad,traveling abroad is when u don't have job at all or when u have job less than 200k any job above 300k doesn't need any traveling abroad , most people that were earning 300k or above that travelled are now regretting it , be wise

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by jakeroberto(m): 3:19pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:
Didn't think I'd actually land the job at all! 500K a month plus housing, car, health and life insurance benefits.
Oga TechMan.....move don't wait in Nigeria
You can make more than this when you go to Canada. I can assure you.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by 2Radii: 3:19pm On Oct 15, 2023
BigdaddyPR:
Initially you made it seem as though you got PR, but with your visit visa, it will be unwise of you to travel when you have a job willing to pay you that much here. Even a job that would pay 150k in Nigeria is better than a Canadian visit visa.

Accept the job, build on your tech work experience and apply for any of the Canadian provincial tech streams, you should get your PR within 2 years, then you can relocate if you still choose to.

Thinking about relocating with a visit visa should never ever cross your mind ever.
bro please advice me sir..

I am processing a visa and I am 80% sure it may be visiting visa(tho it might not be sha)

Now I have a job that fetches me almost 200k averagely (both income and other perks) and there is potential to move higher if I want to be Independent which is an option for me., now I am also processing for a Canadian visa and I am at a crossroad....please is it worth it??
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Sirtee19: 3:21pm On Oct 15, 2023
Dyfynezz12:

Lol😂 u 're confusing me
He's not confusing, he's just being sarcastic.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Powersurge: 3:24pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

That's exactly what I wish I could do but I know it's not possible.

My boss that is not into tech relocated with his family. His still working from their.

Baba let them know.

If they can't, move ahead.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Lannister360: 3:28pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:
Bro, suggest you choose Canada, 500k is now $500.

In Canada you can make more, this isn't even a question. I however want to ask for one favour, incase you decide to choose Canada, can your recommend me? I'm deeply into Tech with knowledge in React/Java/SQL and other technologies.

Can I send you a DM?
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Brownbetsport24: 3:29pm On Oct 15, 2023
Op go to Canada, they have snow,they have clean environment, trees, clean water, you will see white people everyday,nobody will look you with one eye, u will wear fine shoes and clothes, nice perfume, drive clean ride,fresh air everywhere, no generator noise.

Go jor.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Earthquakes: 3:33pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Is this even a discussion??
I make around $500 daily from my 2 tech remote jobs here in Canada. Whatever skills that got you 500k job in Nigeria where there is no job will get you 4k dolls job out there.
A word is enough for the wise!

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Azzik: 3:39pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:
If I were you Canada here I come my brother...500k is nothing compare to what you will make in Canada that I can assure you..it's still your choice anyways.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by G12(m): 3:39pm On Oct 15, 2023
Guy relocate. 500k is less than $500 now. I even though I earn in dollars and spend in Naira here, 500k has no value. That 500k life will not give you the standard of life you envision it will.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Goalnaldo(m): 3:40pm On Oct 15, 2023
alphabbey1:

Stay in Nigeria.
Nigeria is far better than Canada. No police harassment, no security issues, beautiful environment, Sane-educated and modern society, steady light, stronger currency value, good job security, free and advanced healthcare, better future for your unborn children, free quality eduction for your unborn children.

Coupled with other advantages, if I were you, I'll prefer Nigeria with 500k salary than Canada..... coz am very sure that same tech company will not lay me off years to come and my salary will keep on increasing yearly with inflation....

au revoir passez une bonne journée
grin grin grin
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by afrika4real(m): 3:42pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:
you better run for your present and future. Canada 🇨🇦 straight
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by treatise: 3:45pm On Oct 15, 2023
alphabbey1:

Stay in Nigeria.
Nigeria is far better than Canada. No police harassment, no security issues, beautiful environment, Sane-educated and modern society, steady light, stronger currency value, good job security, free and advanced healthcare, better future for your unborn children, free quality eduction for your unborn children.

Coupled with other advantages, if I were you, I'll prefer Nigeria with 500k salary than Canada..... coz am very sure that same tech company will not lay me off years to come and my salary will keep on increasing yearly with inflation....

au revoir passez une bonne journée
grin
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by NuCypher: 3:49pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:
My brother got an 800k a month job before leaving for Canada. He left regardless. Things didn't take off immediately when he got to cabs did ups job for some months and later petrolcanada. Eventually got his CPA and today is warning >200k CAD annually.

Nobody can decide for you. 500k a month is nothing with the ever increasing exchange rate. My only worry for you is that you won't let regret consume you if things don't start brightly immediately you get to Canada.

Edit: Revising my answer. I just saw you got a visit visa, not a PR visa, which is what would have made my advice above there worthwhile. In your visit visa case, I say stay put in Nigeria and only visit when you get the chance. Going to Canada and planning to run away on a visit visa is temporary career suicide and you are starting off on the wrong foot. You may even get deported at some point, and that's if you are able to find any work at all to sustain you. Don't do it!

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by chaloskyx: 3:51pm On Oct 15, 2023
Im based i canada and i would advise you to comeover i was earning more than 500k when i moved and i dont regret it......dont be fooled 500k is nothing🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Nyceguy92: 3:59pm On Oct 15, 2023
I hope you are not throwing a dummy for us to pursue by this post.

You better stay back and take your 500k job.

With only a visitor visa and no job offer, I strongly doubt that you will be able to secure one easily.
Maybe a menial job.

Canada is actually overhyped. It appears a syndicate of government and private immigration agencies are out to paint a rosy picture that does not exist. There is high cost accommodation, taxes, and living.

You will be subjected to ridiculously lengthy periods of recertification as Canada does not value credentials from overseas.

As more people fall for the hype and relocate to Canada, the competition for the scanty resources becomes stiff.

Someone I know, a professional, recently migrated to Canada "on trial" with high hopes of securing a befitting job upon arrival.

Well, for 30 days, it was nightmare as migrant spent $1500 on accommodation, while applying for
jobs.
Employers were not ready to go through the hassle of getting migrant a work permit. Although migrant was over-qualified for the job with years of on-the-job experience, it was not offered because certificate was foreign.

Needless to add that at a time, job applications descended to the level pizza shops and restaurants.

To cut the story short, migrant became frustrated and depressed and hurried back to former location and job.

So look before you leap.

2 Likes

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by bukatyne(f): 4:02pm On Oct 15, 2023
jedisco:

First, when asking for advise- know the right demography to ask or keep the demography in mind when asking.

If you ask an average person earning 30- 150k, they'd say stay back cos your average pay is like heaven for them. If you ask folks earning 500k - 1m, they'd see things differently cos 500k is not mind-blowing money for the right skill.

You need to consider a number of things- mainly age, qualifications, flexibility and transferable skills. Also if your current job would permit remote working.

If you were young with tech skills and a Canadian PR, I'd easily say move- 500k is peanuts to what you could potentially earn in Canada. The people shouting tax e.t.c are mainly folks who've not worked/lived elsewhere.

In your case, your canada visa is a visit visa which would not allow you work legally. If this job has good prospects and exposure, then it could be a good stepping stone to bigger things locally or give you the right base to apply for remote tech jobs in Canada or a Canadian masters. You always have the option of visiting Canada later.

Details given are rather sketchy with many important variables unclear.

Well said.

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 4:03pm On Oct 15, 2023
CloudTrees:
don't fall for it... You gave a better chance at life in Canada.
The value of naira will be pea nut compared to what you might earn in Canada

But who knows what this job will lead to, plus a bird in the hand and all that... it's really not easy my brother
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by jaksmillioniar: 4:04pm On Oct 15, 2023
MT:

You wholly reflect NAIVETY
wat do u mean by that guy
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by phemmyfour: 4:06pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:
It's a 50-50 thing. If you're really top notch in tech, in few months, you ll be earning that 500k in a week in Canada.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Aremson14(m): 4:06pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Currenfly in a similar situation… Landed a tech job that pays around 250k(remote but must be in Nigeria) have a fully funded scholarship to the uk with accommodation… Im probably going to pick the scholarship though cause it’s a once In a life time opportunity…. I think you need to also consider job security… in my case that was the deal breaker coupled with I’m quite young … private sectors in Nigeria can be crazy
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 4:09pm On Oct 15, 2023
kevwemike:
Guy go ur Canada Nigeria job na trap, save urself and ur children children,.

Folks in Canada are mostly telling me the opposite thogh, with my multiple entry visa - don't know how sincere though
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 4:11pm On Oct 15, 2023
lanresz:
Visiting visa is not a relocation visa. The probability of getting a job with sponsorship for LMIA is very low within 6 months. Stay put in Nigeria. Use your visiting visa to go on vacation and return to Nigeria.

Exactly what I've been told. The word "hustle" keeps comming up if I were to choose Canada
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by zed7: 4:12pm On Oct 15, 2023
All these imaginary tales to get our attention. Sighs.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Policeman Hit By Car Dies In Kaduna (Graphic Photos) / Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing / Cancelled USA B1/B2 Visa With Prejudice? Lets Discuss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.