Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,165 members, 7,811,374 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:32 AM

The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. (662 Views)

Judge Nancy Maldonado Just Set A Trap For The Nigerian Supreme Court / Nigerians Lambast Tinubu For Threatening The Country With Chaos And Anarchy / Nigerians Blast Atiku On Twitter For Not Debating Because Of Absence Of Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 6:04am On Oct 16, 2023
I don't understand. . . .

What exactly is the function of this NIGERIAN supreme court?
It is no secret that the Nigerian Judiciary is not a defender of Democracy in Nigeria.

Comparing to the American Supreme Court.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/resources/the-us-supreme-court/

The U.S. Supreme Court
The Supreme Court plays a critical role in protecting American democracy. The ABA is committed to educating the public about how the Court works, engaging lawyers with professional development resources, and providing context on notable cases that could have a lasting impact on society.
Understand.
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 6:07am On Oct 16, 2023
https://www.liberties.eu/en/stories/democratic-countries/44818

Most and least democratic countries in the world.

By Eleanor Brooks
July 05, 2023

In the simplest terms, the most important ingredients of a democracy are:
In a truly democratic society, everyone is treated fairly and equally, and has the right to have a say in how society is governed. When the state respects that their power is dependent on the continued support of the people, they are more likely to find shared solutions to the issues we raise, and make decisions that are in our best interest.

1. Citizenship participation
Citizenship participation is a key ingredient of a democracy. By expressing their opinions, through voting in elections, attending protests or speaking to their political representatives, citizens are actively involved in the government’s decision-making process.

2. Equality: Equal Participation & the Rule of Law
Under a democracy, everyone is treated equally. This means everyone is given equal opportunity to take part in democratic processes and their opinions are given the same weight, regardless of their background. It also means that everyone has to abide by the laws, including those in positions of power like lawmakers and government officials. This is known as the rule of law.

3. Protection of Fundamental Rights
Respecting fundamental rights and civil liberties is a definiting characteristic of a democracy. When people are free to express their opinion, demonstrate on the street, practice the religion of their choice and marry who they choose, this allows citizens to enjoy their personal freedom. It also keeps the power of the state in check by helping to prevent abuse of office.

4. Accountability and Transparency
Under a democracy, the people are seen as the true source of power. The role of our elected politicians is to represent our best interests, and they are accountable to us for their actions while in office. Access to information and transparency in what the government is doing allows citizens to meaningfully participate in the democratic process and make politicians answerable for their decisions.

5. Peaceful transfer of power
A peaceful transfer of power is a key ingredient of democracy. The willingness of leaders and political parties to give up power if the people don’t choose to re-elect them, or they have already served the maximum term, is strongly indicative of whether a system of governance is a true democracy, or an autocratic state performing democracy. In a healthy democracy, a peaceful transition of power happens through periodic free and fair elections.

What is the Democracy Index?
The Democracy Index is a way of measuring the health of democracy across the world. In existence since 2006 and compiled by The Economist Intelligence Unit, it provides an overview of how well democracy is faring in 165 independent states and two territories. Countries are ranked numerically and categorised based on their democratic score. It is a useful tool because it allows for year-on-year comparison globally, as well as making it possible to track the progress of countries working to become a full democracy, as well as those who are veering towards authoritarianism.

How can democracy be measured?
Quantifying democracy may seem like a fool’s errand. The spirit of democracy is surely an intangible thing, like that rush you feel when you are one of thousands demonstrating on the street. Or maybe it’s found in the everyday things, like walking through streets that are well taken care of, or bringing your child to school, so they can use their education as a springboard for their bright future. While it may not be possible to accurately measure how democracy impacts our daily life, it is possible to assess how well the systems which maintain democracy are upheld and respected. After all, Liberties does this in our annual Rule of Law Report. Similarly, the Democracy Index examines 60 indicators related to the following democratic processes of a country in the following broad categories: electoral processes, civil liberties, political participation, functioning of government, and political culture. These categories take the temperature of the relationship between the state and its people: citizens’ ability to express their opinions and have their needs considered in decision making, how well the government performs and whether it is transparent and accountable, and the strength of public trust.

In addition to relying on expert assessments, public opinion surveys are relied on when scoring countries, particularly for the indicators of political participation and political culture. Each country is assigned a score based on each of these factors, which is used to determine their overall democratic score and their placement in one of four categories: Full Democracy, Flawed Democracy, Hybrid Regime, or Authoritarian Regime. Each category reflects the degree to which democratic principles are respected and the health of democratic checks and balances.

Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by Aonkuuse(m): 6:16am On Oct 16, 2023
What has the Nigerian supreme court really done to you guys?? I don't understand

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 6:21am On Oct 16, 2023
Aonkuuse:
What has the Nigerian supreme court really done to you guys?? I don't understand

My question is how far has the Nigerian Supreme Court supported Democracy in Nigeria?
What are the precedents?

1 Like

Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by Aonkuuse(m): 6:25am On Oct 16, 2023
No the question is what exactly do they need to do that they have not done??
KanwuliaExtra:

My question is how far has the Nigerian Supreme Court supported Democracy in Nigeria?
What are the precedents?
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by Naija2023: 6:25am On Oct 16, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

It is no secret that the Nigerian Judiciary is not a defender of Democracy in Nigeria.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/resources/the-us-supreme-court/

Nigeria supreme court is better than US supreme.

US supreme court is d most partisan supreme court you can think of

US supreme court where decision of a Judge can be easily predicted by the political party they support .

in d democracy index you attached, US is not among top 20

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 6:40am On Oct 16, 2023
Naija2023:

US supreme court where decision of a Judge can be easily predicted by the political party they support .

What is the difference with what is seen in Nigeria?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/679796/democracy-index-most-democratic-countries/

https://www.democracymatrix.com/ranking

The American form of democracy is flawed for sure. . . but the Nigerian Democracy does not even come close.

1 Like

Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 6:41am On Oct 16, 2023
Aonkuuse:
No the question is what exactly do they need to do that they have not done??

Protect the Nigerian Democracy and the collective welfare of the people.

Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 7:01am On Oct 16, 2023
There is absolutely no judiciary independence in Nigeria and the situation is getting worse from Buhari to Tinubu.

THEY ARE EXTREMELY LAZY TOO!

Supreme Court Overwhelmed By 6,884 Cases, CJN Ariwoola Laments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_DlMHD37O0?si=gJp7lPpwpDtCbpql
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by Aonkuuse(m): 7:52am On Oct 16, 2023
Bro state one instance wey Supreme no protect democracy, no dey beat around the bush
KanwuliaExtra:

Protect the Nigerian Democracy and the collective welfare of the people.
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 8:05am On Oct 16, 2023
Aonkuuse:
Bro state one instance wey Supreme no protect democracy, no dey beat around the bush

You want me to mention the Lawan, Akpabio and Uzodinma cases for starter? cheesy
The problem with the youth of today.
They do not read and want everything given to them.
I educated myself, you do the same.

You can start here.

https://guardian.ng/features/law/controversial-supreme-court-judgments-redirect-public-attention-to-its-image/
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by Aonkuuse(m): 8:09am On Oct 16, 2023
So when it did not go your way, its not democracy or sound judgement?? I thought you will say they refuse to attend to the case, what is democracy according to you anyway??..... One thing about internet is it gives people like you a platform to talk any nonsense, see palm wine professor that reads
KanwuliaExtra:

You want me to mention the Lawan, Akpabio and Uzodinma cases for starter? cheesy

You can start here.

https://guardian.ng/features/law/controversial-supreme-court-judgments-redirect-public-attention-to-its-image/
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 12:03pm On Oct 16, 2023
Aonkuuse:
So when it did not go your way, its not democracy or sound judgement?? I thought you will say they refuse to attend to the case, what is democracy according to you anyway??..... One thing about internet is it gives people like you a platform to talk any nonsense, see palm wine professor that reads

It should go the right way ALL THE TIME.
No case is more important that the other.
Simple.

Just like it gives criminal minded people the avenue to show case your criminality.
Certificate-forger likey ya!
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by descarado: 1:23pm On Oct 16, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

What is the difference with what is seen in Nigeria?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/679796/democracy-index-most-democratic-countries/

https://www.democracymatrix.com/ranking

The American form of democracy is flawed for sure. . . but the Nigerian Democracy does not even come close.

Nigeria don't practice democracy. Everybody can be bought. Nigerian men on white wig, forgerit.
If mogs can do it, army, police, it is men on white wig. Remember for you to be successful man on white wig, you must belong and when you belong, you abide by their code. That is exactly what they are doing.
What Nigeria is begging for is just 30 to 40%, they can share the rest but we no even see 5% and they added minus on top.
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 1:44pm On Oct 16, 2023
descarado:

Nigeria don't practice democracy. Everybody can be bought. Nigerian men on white wig, forgerit.
If mogs can do it, army, police, it is men on white wig. Remember for you to be successful man on white wig, you must belong and when you belong, you abide by their code. That is exactly what they are doing.
What Nigeria is begging for is just 30 to 40%, they can share the rest but we no even see 5% and they added minus on top.

Exactly.
The reason the Supreme Court just like the Election Tribunal Courts are all a big farce.
How can you dispense justice independently when you have judges that have been bought?

INEC bought
Military bought
Security agencies bought
Air force
Police bought
CBN bought
Judiciary bought
Legislatve bought

The executive branch has bought all other aspects of the Nigerian works of life and claim that elections are free and fair. cheesy

What is the purpose of going to vote?

I think people should stop going to collect their PVCs, since the whole election exercise is a total scam.

Let the corrupt powers that be start fighting themselves.
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by Aonkuuse(m): 4:09pm On Oct 16, 2023
So if it satisfies your expectations then it's the right way and if it doesn't, it's the wrong way?? Abeg, I no fit waste my energy trying to engage someone who is already programmed to condemn anything Nigeria because their person is not the one there
KanwuliaExtra:

It should go the right way ALL THE TIME.
No case is more important that the other.
Simple.

Just like it gives criminal minded people the avenue to show case your criminality.
Certificate-forger likey ya!
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 4:38pm On Oct 16, 2023
Aonkuuse:
So if it satisfies your expectations then it's the right way and if it doesn't, it's the wrong way?? Abeg, I no fit waste my energy trying to engage someone who is already programmed to condemn anything Nigeria because their person is not the one there

Then go and sleep! kiss
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by benardtotti(m): 5:58pm On Oct 16, 2023
Naija2023:

Leave him to wallow in his stupidity, the honest truth is obidients have destroyed any chances of Obi ever becoming president, they keep making it look like they are the only ones who understand democracy .

1 Like

Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by Emekaonline: 6:13pm On Oct 16, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

You can start here.

Did they protect judiciary when they nullified Ngige election in Anambra and awarded Obi the fake victory?
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by aswani(m): 6:20pm On Oct 16, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

Exactly.
The reason the Supreme Court just like the Election Tribunal Courts are all a big farce.
How can you dispense justice independently when you have judges that have been bought?

INEC bought
Military bought
Security agencies bought
Air force
Police bought
CBN bought
Judiciary bought
Legislatve bought

The executive branch has bought all other aspects of the Nigerian works of life and claim that elections are free and fair. cheesy

What is the purpose of going to vote?

I think people should stop going to collect their PVCs, since the whole election exercise is a total scam.

Let the corrupt powers that be start fighting themselves.

When Peter Obi petitioned the Tribunal, IPOBidient's were jumping up and down telling us how Obi has never lost in court and President Tinubu was a "goner".

He loses for the first time in court and suddenly it is because the court was compromised.

IPOBidients need to learn to lose gracefully, the immaturity is nauseating.
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 6:30pm On Oct 16, 2023
aswani:

When Peter Obi petitioned the Tribunal, IPOBidient's were jumping up and down telling us how Obi has never lost in court and President Tinubu was a "goner".

He loses for the first time in court and suddenly it is because the court was compromised.

IPOBidients need to learn to lose gracefully, the immaturity is nauseating.

And your point is?
Because the crop of APC criminals you have now are the same you had 16 years ago abi?

Whether Obi wins or not, TIEFNUBU remains a goner! Your corrupt Supreme Court can never erase all the STENCH that has engulfed him. cheesy

Whoooop! There it is.

Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 6:36pm On Oct 16, 2023
Emekaonline:

Did they protect judiciary when they nullified Ngige election in Anambra and awarded Obi the fake victory?

Like I stated earlier, APC was not in government and your criminal ring was only perfected with Buhari and now TIEFNUBU.

Please, excuse yourself if you do not understand you are under a civilian coup.

Nigerians DID NOT vote for APC. It remains an ILLEGITIMATE government!

We never had illiterate criminals till EGBEKEGBE APC surfaced.😁
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by aswani(m): 6:55pm On Oct 16, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

Like I stated earlier, APC was not in government and your criminal ring was only perfected with Buhari and now TIEFNUBU.

Please, excuse yourself if you do not understand you are under a civilian coup.

Nigerians DID NOT vote for APC. It remains an ILLEGITIMATE government!

We never had illiterate criminals till EGBEKEGBE APC surfaced.😁

Sour faced IPOBidients did not vote for President Tinubu, agreed.

Thankfully those sour faced IPOBidients were not as many as those Nigerians that decided to cast their vote for President Tinubu.

Obidients lack of ability to comprehend that others can have a different opinion to them without having to be subjected to abuses and insults is why they are where they are, reduced to digging up watery conspiracy theories here and there in other to topple the legitimate government of President Tinubu.

Even after the Republic of of Biafra is formed, Obidients and their man will still lose elections to more placid candidates.
Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 6:58pm On Oct 16, 2023
aswani:

Sour faced IPOBidients did not vote for President Tinubu, agreed.

Thankfully those sour faced IPOBidients were not as many as those Nigerians that decided to cast their vote for President Tinubu.

Obidients lack of ability to comprehend that others can have a different opinion to them without having to be subjected to abuses and insults is why they are where they are, reduced to digging up watery conspiracy theories here and there in other to topple the legitimate government of President Tinubu.

Even after the Republic of of Biafra is formed, Obidients and their man will still lose elections to more placid candidates.

Sure!
At least Obidients are not led by a FORGER-in-THIEF CHIEF!

Please, go and wait for your DRUG BARON’’S FBI files loading!
Ntoooooor!

The difference is clear! Awon “ADEKUNLE-AMODA” !🤣

The deposition again?😝

Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by APCNig: 7:07pm On Oct 16, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

Una go cry tire. You will weep blood. When the same Supreme Court removed APC governor of Bayelsa State and gave the position to PDP, you did not cry then. When Supreme Court removed all APC winners from House of Assembly to the Governor and all Senators and House of Representatives members who won election and replaced them with PDP, there was no weeping

1 Like

Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 7:10pm On Oct 16, 2023
APCNig:

Una go cry tire. You will weep blood

Una go pursue us taya as we keep disgracing you!

Yes ooo🤣🤣🤣🤣
At least we graduated!
Muchechechecheche

Born in 1942 or 1954?
😂😂😂😂

Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by APCNig: 7:12pm On Oct 16, 2023
KanwuliaExtra:

Sure!
At least Obidients are not led by a FORGER-in-THIEF CHIEF!

Please, go and wait for your DRUG BARON’’S FBI files loading!
Ntoooooor!

The difference is clear! Awon “ADEKUNLE-AMODA” !🤣

The deposition again?😝

Sniper Humanicide is still cheap

1 Like

Re: The Absence of A Working Nigerian Supreme Court And Anarchy. by KanwuliaExtra: 7:14pm On Oct 16, 2023
APCNig:

Sniper Humanicide is still cheap

Female transcriptyyyy!
GBAJUE!!!!!

Biden don dodge!
Who wanno take picture with a DRUG LORD?😂

(1) (Reply)

My Sincere Apologies To Everyone. / This Is Why I Think Tinubu Will Likely Fail To Lead Nigeria (opinion) / CCTV Footages Show Emefiele Removed $6.23 Million Cash From CBN Vault,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.