Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,420 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Naira Falls To Record Low At I&E Window, Trades ₦‎993/$ - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Falls To Record Low At I&E Window, Trades ₦‎993/$ (28350 Views)

Naira Continues Free Fall On Official Window, Trades N1482.57/$ / Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window / Naira Crashes To Record Low At Official Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Falls To Record Low At I&E Window, Trades ₦‎993/$ by ufuosman(m): 10:42pm On Oct 31, 2023
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Naira Falls To Record Low At I&E Window, Trades ₦‎993/$ by chosengocap: 11:01pm On Oct 31, 2023
Taylor94:
Please this is not the price on parallel market oo

No go meet any Aboki to sell dollar for you at 993 They’ll stab you immediately

Dollar still dey $1380 for Aboki hand oo

Just like I said if una like make una vote rubbish e go favor me pass una since una no wan get sense leave tribalism

I’m stacking bitcoin on my private wallet almost every two two days

Make economy dey spoil make Naira dey fall e dey favor me

Check the date two times coins on 28th and one received 4am this morning and you can see the name Taylor

Wahala for who no dey get dollars

LeoDeking and Yarimo make una lower una pride beg me money I go give una 200k each right now. No DM just quote this post and drop account I’ll run it at POS

If I complain una go call me chief wailer, that I’m jobless that’s why I’m always online, that I’ll wail tire

I go smile look people wey I fit feed their generation with one month bitcoin

Tinubu till 2098

Abeg I need money too . Make I send Azza?
Re: Naira Falls To Record Low At I&E Window, Trades ₦‎993/$ by Kcfresh2103(m): 12:10pm On Nov 01, 2023
Katier00:
go school you no gree and now you dey disgrace yourself

Fool, the one wey you go na nairaland you dey use am shine, okpey.
Re: Naira Falls To Record Low At I&E Window, Trades ₦‎993/$ by Zidoh(m): 1:11pm On Nov 01, 2023
We are here for all your e-currency exchange......check out profile and dm on Whatsapp for instant exchange. .... 08088759163
Re: Naira Falls To Record Low At I&E Window, Trades ₦‎993/$ by treesun: 8:54pm On Nov 01, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

Half baked with first class... werey leleyi oo
Oponu leyi sah, someone who cant defend his CSU certificate. Do you even fear God!
Re: Naira Falls To Record Low At I&E Window, Trades ₦‎993/$ by Fearyourcreator: 10:13pm On Nov 01, 2023
treesun:

Oponu leyi sah, someone who cant defend his CSU certificate. Do you even fear God!
Oga go sleep...
Re: Naira Falls To Record Low At I&E Window, Trades ₦‎993/$ by 9jatriot(m): 9:50am On Nov 03, 2023
Sorry to bother you guys again, I just wanted to learn.
Is the fluctuation in the Nigerian Foreign Exchange Market (NAFEM) in the last few days a good thing as market forces or a bad thing?

alt3r3g0:

This is caused by basic demand and supply plus corruption.

If govt decides to sell at black market rate without addressing the supply/corruption issue, that is just moving the baseline as resellers will still add a markup.

It's like increasing fuel price when there is scarcity of fuel.

Only solution is to increase supply and deal with corruption. If everyone can get at offical rate, there is no need to spend more at black market.

The difference use to be less than 5 naira.
didymario7:
The problem remains supply. FG don't earn enough $$ that is the koko. If they had enough they don't need to sell at black market rate. All they need to do is flood the official channels with enough supply of $$ and those who resort to BDCs for the $$ would rather buy from FG. That way they starve the black market of buyers and if they can starve the black market of buyers, they can dictate the price of fx.

Re: Naira Falls To Record Low At I&E Window, Trades ₦‎993/$ by didymario7(m): 10:07am On Nov 03, 2023
9jatriot:
Sorry to bother you guys again, I just wanted to learn.
Is the fluctuation in the Nigerian Foreign Exchange Market (NAFEM) in the last few days a good thing as market forces or a bad thing?

It is both good and bad. I will explain.

It is good in the sense that it allows for transparent pricing of the currency and where there is transparency, we can determine the true value of the currencies. This boosts confidence especially that of potential foreign investors.

On the flip side, allowing purely market forces to determine the price of your currency is dangerous in the sense that if the currency becomes too weak ( for a country that depends largely on import) it can lead to massive inflation and poverty.

The best solution is to find a balance between the two. Most central banks in the world allow what is called partial or managed float. This means market forces will determine the price of the currency. However they set a baseline price that market price must stay above. If price goes below the baseline price they flood the market with dollars from their reserve until it goes back above the baseline. This practice is what is known as intervention.

A good example is GBP/USD. Last year when Russian invaded Ukraine, It led to an increase in the price of energy in Europe and that weakened the GBP. When the weakness got to a point where the UK govt could not take it anymore, they intervened in the market. This propped up the value of the GBP.
Re: Naira Falls To Record Low At I&E Window, Trades ₦‎993/$ by 9jatriot(m): 10:23am On Nov 03, 2023
This sounds so much like defending the naira by the CBN which I know many financial experts condemned especially as it was leading to many exchange rates in Nigeria
didymario7:

It is both good and bad. I will explain.

It is good in the sense that it allows for transparent pricing of the currency and where there is transparency, we can determine the true value of the currencies. This boosts confidence especially that of potential foreign investors.

On the flip side, allowing purely market forces to determine the price of your currency is dangerous in the sense that if the currency becomes too weak ( for a country that depends largely on import) it can lead to massive inflation and poverty.

The best solution is to find a balance between the two. Most central banks in the world allow what is called partial or managed float. This means market forces will determine the price of the currency. However they set a baseline price that market price must stay above. If price goes below the baseline price they flood the market with dollars from their reserve until it goes back above the baseline. This practice is what is known as intervention.

A good example is GBP/USD. Last year when Russian invaded Ukraine, It led to an increase in the price of energy in Europe and that weakened the GBP. When the weakness got to a point where the UK govt could not take it anymore, they intervened in the market. This propped up the value of the GBP.

Re: Naira Falls To Record Low At I&E Window, Trades ₦‎993/$ by didymario7(m): 10:53am On Nov 03, 2023
9jatriot:
This sounds so much like defending the naira by the CBN which I know many financial experts condemned especially as it was leading to many exchange rates in Nigeria

There is no Country in the world that does not defend her currency during crisis. None! The problem is when the intervention is permanent (pegged), which is what cbn was doing or when the intervention is too frequent, people loose confidence.
Re: Naira Falls To Record Low At I&E Window, Trades ₦‎993/$ by 9jatriot(m): 10:59am On Nov 03, 2023
Hmmm, noted.
Your time is appreciated
didymario7:

There is no Country in the world that does not defend her currency during crisis. None! The problem is when the intervention is permanent (pegged), which is what cbn was doing or when the intervention is too frequent, people loose confidence.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Uber, Bolt Drivers Begin Nationwide Strike / Dangote Acquires 2,500 Trucks For Cement, Fertiliser Distribution / Nigerian Man Humiliated At A Bank Over A White Man Tells His Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.