Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,358 members, 7,815,758 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Atheists - What's This Life All About? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists - What's This Life All About? (2520 Views)

Atheists, What Will It Feel Like If Heaven And Hell Actually Exists? / Atheists, What Is The VALUE Of Human Life? / Atheists: What Are Your Views On Miracles? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists - What's This Life All About? by sarmy(m): 3:29pm On Oct 26, 2011
Dear Atheist,

What's this life all about, why do we have to spend so much catering for the sick when eventually they will still die, what's your motivation for a sustainable life or what's the purpose of life to you

Why do we keep sustaining life of those being spent in poverty, sickness etc when it all a product of chance (not a product of a maker as you claim), can't we end it all and be at peace by returning all to the state of a non-existence

Just a thought and need answers from you guys. Thanks
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by nodogma: 3:42pm On Oct 26, 2011
You may need to define what you mean by "atheist." I do not believe in the god of the bible, but I do believe that we are all spiritual beings having an earthly experience and based on our actions here on earth we will either transcend to a deeper level of being that is no longer on earth or not. Our purpose here is to utilize our gifts and talents to make this world a better place while we are here. Believing in the God of the bible is not necessary to do this. For those who are poor or suffering, we can offer them solace and peace as much as we can while we are here. This life is about learning the various lessons that we were sent here to learn, this differs for everyone. For some they have come to learn patience and charity, others must overcome covetousness and greed etc. Not everyone will be able to do this. Again for some the bible and god of the bible may be their path to transcending their lower selves and reaching a higher level of being or consciousness. But we all do not need to follow the bible or Christianity to live fully.

1 Like

Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by sarmy(m): 4:18pm On Oct 26, 2011
nodogma:

You may need to define what you mean by "atheist." I do not believe in the god of the bible, but I do believe that we are all spiritual beings having an earthly experience and based on our actions here on earth we will either transcend to a deeper level of being that is no longer on earth or not. Our purpose here is to utilize our gifts and talents to make this world a better place while we are here. Believing in the God of the bible is not necessary to do this. For those who are poor or suffering, we can offer them solace and peace as much as we can while we are here. This life is about learning the various lessons that we were sent here to learn, this differs for everyone. For some they have come to learn patience and charity, others must overcome covetousness and greed etc. Not everyone will be able to do this. Again for some the bible and god of the bible may be their path to transcending their lower selves and reaching a higher level of being or consciousness. But we all do not need to follow the bible or Christianity to live fully.

I mean rejection of belief in the existence of God or that any deities exist. That we are a product of no maker or spiritual being.

From your perspective, you only do not subscribe to the God of the Bible but still believe in spirituality and deities
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:49pm On Oct 26, 2011
@OP. it is such a broad blanket - your question ie. do you mean to say what is the Purpose of Life, otherwise IMHO this life is all about making the best of every situation for the benefit of your fellow-man i.e LOVE
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by sarmy(m): 8:59pm On Oct 26, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

@OP. it is such a broad blanket - your question ie. do you mean to say what is the Purpose of Life, otherwise IMHO this life is all about making the best of every situation for the benefit of your fellow-man i.e LOVE

Yes, I mean the purpose of life from their perspective
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by jayriginal: 10:41am On Oct 27, 2011
sarmy:

Dear Atheist,

What's this life all about, why do we have to spend so much catering for the sick when eventually they will still die, what's your motivation for a sustainable life or what's the purpose of life to you

Why do you spend so much catering for the sick when leaving them to die will take them to heaven (which is supposed to be the most awesome place ever) ? Why do you spend so much on doctors and medicine when the bible has asked you to take the sick to church for the elders to lay hands on ?

Why do we keep sustaining life of those being spent in poverty, sickness etc when it all a product of chance (not a product of a maker as you claim), can't we end it all and be at peace by returning all to the state of a non-existence

By now, you should know that the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything is 42.

Apart from that, how come you dont see the problem in asking a set of people who do not believe that life continues after death why they try to sustain their life ?
Ironically those who believe eternal bliss awaits them on death are very reluctant to die and do not even follow biblical prescriptions for sickness.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by Seun(m): 1:34pm On Oct 27, 2011
The purpose of life is achieving what you want to achieve and becoming what you want to be.  The purpose of life is whatever you want to do with your life!!

This question is like someone asking "what is the purpose of money".  The purpose of money is to buy whatever you want to buy!! It's a JAMB question.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by nodogma: 1:41pm On Oct 27, 2011
There is a saying that goes "everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die to get there." The question posed by the OP should definitely be directed towards the Christians on this site. Why when sick do you make such effort to find healing through earthly means such as doctors. If heaven awaits you upon dying, why not embrace sickness in every instance that it shows itself, so that you will die quickly and leave this earth that you hate so much. The problem with some Christians is that they are not fully present in their lives here on earth. The bible makes everything pleasurable appear wicked and based on interpretations many believers live a very narrow life, never truly enjoying the many cultures, beliefs, practices, etc throughought the earth. many Christians are just waiting to get to heaven, but do not want to die to get there. So really, the question that the OP has presented should be answered by the OP.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Mar 20, 2017
Atheism, the way I see it, is a construct based on false science. There is enough evidence to show that the science that the atheists based their assertion on atheism is, is false. The new approach to the Universe answers all the questions including God and ethereal entities.
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by luvmijeje(f): 5:53pm On Mar 20, 2017
Seun:
The purpose of life is achieving what you want to achieve and becoming what you want to be.  The purpose of life is whatever you want to do with your life!!

This question is like someone asking "what is the purpose of money".  The purpose of money is to buy whatever you want to buy!! It's a JAMB question.

Uncle Seun, you didn't answer the question correctly. The OP didn't ask you what's your purpose on earth.

As an Atheist, what's your contribution to the less privilege among us? What's Atheism philosophy on the down trodden. What have you contributed to the body of knowledge apart from analyzing the Bible?
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by Pastafarian: 6:07pm On Mar 20, 2017
luvmijeje:

Uncle Seun, you didn't answer the question correctly. The OP didn't ask you what's your purpose on earth.

As an Atheist, what's your contribution to the less privilege among us? What's Atheism philosophy on the down trodden. What have you contributed to the body of knowledge apart from analyzing the Bible?

do your questions sound reasonable?

all it'll do at best is lead to us listing things we've done for the less privileged, which might lead to bragging
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by luvmijeje(f): 6:09pm On Mar 20, 2017
Pastafarian:

do your questions sound reasonable?

all it'll do at best is lead to us listing things we've done for the less privileged, which might lead to bragging
Go and sit down. You've not done one single thing. Prove me wrong.
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by Pastafarian: 6:09pm On Mar 20, 2017
sarmy:
Dear Atheist,

OP

"Meaning vs Ultimate Meaning." The same question for "morality vs ultimate morality." Matt Dillahunty makes a good point on this. Consider your car. What is the meaning of your car? One day, your car will rust or reside in a recycle yard or a junkyard. So whatever meaning you answered for the meaning of your car, it is not the ultimate meaning. So does that mean you should scrap your car right now? And if a woman is raped, and SHE CARES NOW about the harm that was done to her, and the people that know her and the society around her cares now about what happened to her, yet she and her rapist will both be dead and gone someday, in the universe or the solar system may die at the death in our society all be gone one day… So was her rape “ultimately wrong?” Did it “ultimately matter” that she got raped?

just because something will not have “eternal meaning or significance,” that does not equate to “no significance.” As far as we can see, we only have what is right in front of us; the proposal of an afterlife is highly speculative and only hypothesis. So no matter what intuition tells you, what matters to you and us RIGHT NOW is the morality that we know exists. The meaning that you ascribe to your life RIGHT NOW is the meaning that we know exists. Claiming that objective morality or objective meaning exist beyond subjects; that does not have any backing besides kneejerk emotional reactions.

The Christian- being promised that this New Life of theirs will be oh-so-grand and wonderful, finds very quickly that it falls far short of some kind of divinely orchestrated masterpiece. They have headaches, and get sick, and get traffic tickets, and yes, even divorces, and have wayward children, and flunk tests, and can't get jobs, etc etc etc. God is supposed to be divinely guiding their lives from morning pee to dreamland and everything in between, but it seems that the Christians have a "plain ole life" just like all the heathen.

So- let's create a DIVINE PURPOSE. So now your life has supernatural meaning and all of it is perfectly orchestrated by your personal God who cares SO MUCH for every detail of your life. Your life will look the same as before- and the same as everyone else's, but now it has PURPOSE. And MEANING. Glory! It's the same ole shit repackaged. But, man, does it sell!

I hope your god gives you enough understanding to comprehend this post

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by Pastafarian: 6:14pm On Mar 20, 2017
luvmijeje:

Go and sit down. You've not done one single thing. Prove me wrong.

I can also make the claim for you, doesn't make it true, I wouldn't descend so low as to start bragging about those I've helped like a particular Christian monicker here

we are on the internet where anyone can claim to be anything
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by luvmijeje(f): 6:28pm On Mar 20, 2017
Pastafarian:

I can also make the claim for you, doesn't make it true, I wouldn't descend so low as to start bragging about those I've helped like a particular Christian monicker here

we are on the internet where anyone can claim to be anything

You are missing the point. The OP, is not asking you the contribution as an individual. He is asking you the philosophy of Atheist to the less privileged. Where's it in your constitution? Do you even have constitution?
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by CatfishBilly: 6:37pm On Mar 20, 2017
luvmijeje:

You are missing the point. The OP, is not asking you the contribution as an individual. He is asking you the philosophy of Atheist to the less privileged. Where's it in your constitution? Do you even have constitution?
I don't know how many times this issue will be explained to you.
Atheism is not an organized religion​. There are no doctrines, no constitution, nothing.
Everyone does as he sees fit and as his conscience/morals allows.
And, no, morals has nothing to do with religion.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by akintom(m): 6:39pm On Mar 20, 2017
sarmy:
Dear Atheist,

This misdirected and patronizing enquiry, is a product of muddled mind, who is lost in the idea that life and its assumed purpose, are all tied up in god idea.

The empty assertion by the religious folks, that life has no meaning or purpose when god is out, inspired this thought of OP.

It's this fabricated and self deluding assertion, that put Christians up as most irritatingly credulous elements. They adore heaven, yet they spend all their lives, praying against imaginary enemies that may want to kill them.

They will ask for prayers for healing here on NL, when they are confronted with terminal illness.

Hypocrites!

1 Like

Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by luvmijeje(f): 6:40pm On Mar 20, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Atheism is not an organized religion​. There are no doctrines, no constitution, nothing.

Imagine! I hope sane minds can read the above comment. There's no love, hope, faith, morality, comfort etc in Atheism. Their only job is to analyze the Bible. So sad.
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by Pastafarian: 6:47pm On Mar 20, 2017
luvmijeje:

I think I understand OP very well and I've answered OP

but I'll address your question anyways

atheism is simply a position on the belief in gods, nothing more nothing less

when someone tells you he/she is an atheist, the only thing you can conclude is that he doesn't believe in any god, any other thing you assume the person is could be wrong; whatever else is the person's position has nothing to do with atheism and its only the person's personal ideology

I'm a secular Humanist, so I do care for less privileged because I value every human life, I plan to extend this value to animal life soon by becoming a vegetarian; that's MY personal stance and I cannot say the same for every atheist out there

1 Like

Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by Pastafarian: 6:48pm On Mar 20, 2017
CatfishBilly:

this is the info theists don't seem to get
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by CatfishBilly: 6:55pm On Mar 20, 2017
luvmijeje:

Imagine! I hope sane minds can read the above comment. There's no love, hope, faith, morality, comfort etc in Atheism. Their only job is to analyze the Bible. So sad.
If that was all you picked up from my post, then, I have nothing else to say to you.
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by Pastafarian: 6:57pm On Mar 20, 2017
luvmijeje:

this is called Strawman fallacy
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by akintom(m): 7:17pm On Mar 20, 2017
Pastafarian:

this is called Strawman fallacy
What do you expect from this type of mindset.

luvmijeje:

Thanks enshy. Apologies for just responding to your post.
Let me ask you a question. Is it fair that after achieving certain things with my father's name that I should now change it to my husband's name after getting married?

For instance, after finishing my doctorate I got married, is it right for me to transfer the glory that should be of God and my father to my husband who never contributed to that achievement?

Note I never said I won't bear it. Everything I'll achieve under him will be under his name but not to things I've achieve before getting married to him.

1 Like

Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by luvmijeje(f): 7:21pm On Mar 20, 2017
akintom:

What do you expect from this type of mindset.

Hehehe! Ex-pastor o, face the topic.
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by Pastafarian: 7:22pm On Mar 20, 2017
luvmijeje:
Hehehe! Ex-pastor o, face the topic.
are you an2elect2?
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by luvmijeje(f): 7:23pm On Mar 20, 2017
Pastafarian:

are you an2elect2?

Meaning?
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by Pastafarian: 7:24pm On Mar 20, 2017
luvmijeje:

Meaning?

you're not then, you just reminded me of a particular monicker, moving on

you can read this post https://www.nairaland.com/3523542/atheism-make-world-better-place#52001526
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Mar 20, 2017
Pastafarian:

OP

"Meaning vs Ultimate Meaning." The same question for "morality vs ultimate morality." Matt Dillahunty makes a good point on this. Consider your car. What is the meaning of your car? One day, your car will rust or reside in a recycle yard or a junkyard. So whatever meaning you answered for the meaning of your car, it is not the ultimate meaning. So does that mean you should scrap your car right now? And if a woman is raped, and SHE CARES NOW about the harm that was done to her, and the people that know her and the society around her cares now about what happened to her, yet she and her rapist will both be dead and gone someday, in the universe or the solar system may die at the death in our society all be gone one day… So was her rape “ultimately wrong?” Did it “ultimately matter” that she got raped?

just because something will not have “eternal meaning or significance,” that does not equate to “no significance.” As far as we can see, we only have what is right in front of us; the proposal of an afterlife is highly speculative and only hypothesis. So no matter what intuition tells you, what matters to you and us RIGHT NOW is the morality that we know exists. The meaning that you ascribe to your life RIGHT NOW is the meaning that we know exists. Claiming that objective morality or objective meaning exist beyond subjects; that does not have any backing besides kneejerk emotional reactions.

The Christian- being promised that this New Life of theirs will be oh-so-grand and wonderful, finds very quickly that it falls far short of some kind of divinely orchestrated masterpiece. They have headaches, and get sick, and get traffic tickets, and yes, even divorces, and have wayward children, and flunk tests, and can't get jobs, etc etc etc. God is supposed to be divinely guiding their lives from morning pee to dreamland and everything in between, but it seems that the Christians have a "plain ole life" just like all the heathen.

So- let's create a DIVINE PURPOSE. So now your life has supernatural meaning and all of it is perfectly orchestrated by your personal God who cares SO MUCH for every detail of your life. Your life will look the same as before- and the same as everyone else's, but now it has PURPOSE. And MEANING. Glory! It's the same ole shit repackaged. But, man, does it sell!

I hope your god gives you enough understanding to comprehend this post
Is there such a thing as heat ??
Is there such a thing as cold ??
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by luvmijeje(f): 7:42pm On Mar 20, 2017
Pastafarian:

you're not then, you just reminded me of a particular monicker, moving on

you can read this post https://www.nairaland.com/3523542/atheism-make-world-better-place#52001526

I will respond to you properly via a thread by tomorrow.

I even like your thinking a little but it's wasted on an unorganized non-religious, unconstitutional so called individuals forming voltron.

I'm not even responding to you again. What you wrote has not been adopted by the so called Atheists.
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by Pastafarian: 7:46pm On Mar 20, 2017
luvmijeje:

I will respond to you properly via a thread by tomorrow.

I even like your thinking a little but it's wasted on an unorganized non-religious, unconstitutional so called individuals forming voltron.

I'm not even responding to you again. What you wrote has not been adopted by the so called Atheists.

I'll await the thread

call me my mentioning this monicker and Hopefullandlord
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by Pastafarian: 7:47pm On Mar 20, 2017
Junia:
Is there such a thing as heat ?? Is there such a thing as cold ??
its always relative too
Re: Atheists - What's This Life All About? by luvmijeje(f): 7:49pm On Mar 20, 2017
Pastafarian:

I'll await the thread

call me my mentioning this monicker and Hopefullandlord

You didn't respond to the last paragraph. Has it been adopted by the so called Atheists?

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Conviction Of Sin? / Please How Many Times Is Mothers Day Celebrated / What Does This Dream Mean? I Saw My Name Engraved On A Plaque And Then Molten...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.