Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,364 members, 7,819,313 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

What Is The Conviction Of Sin? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Conviction Of Sin? (2524 Views)

True Definition Of Sin. / The Sweetness Of Sin / Is It Fair That A Mere 70 Years Of ‪‎Sin‬ Be Punished By An Eternity In ‪‎Hell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:30pm On Feb 17, 2016
What is the conviction of sin? What is the difference between guilt and the conviction of sin? What should I do when I feel convicted about sin?
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by dhardline(m): 12:42pm On Feb 17, 2016
Mourn l the sin which you have been convicted of cause it is written that blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted and truely repent of the sin committed.
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:51pm On Feb 17, 2016
dhardline:

Mourn l the sin which you have been convicted of cause it is written that blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted and truely repent of the sin committed.

What is the conviction of sin to start with?
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by dhardline(m): 2:42pm On Feb 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

What is the conviction of sin to start with?

This is the process of seeing one self as a sinner.That point where one realises that he is filled with sin,sin's that one previously ignored and felt it was normal.The light of God shines into the heart of man to reveal this hidden sins.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:05pm On Feb 17, 2016
dhardline:

This is the process of seeing one self as a sinner.That point where one realises that he is filled with sin,sin's that one previously ignored and felt it was normal.The light of God shines into the heart of man to reveal this hidden sins.

Can you explain further on what you mean by the light of God shining into the heart of man to reveal this hidden sin?
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by dhardline(m): 4:36pm On Feb 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Can you explain further on what you mean by the light of God shining into the heart of man to reveal this hidden sin?

Now there are sins which every person knows easily e.g. Lying,stealing,adultery etc.
There are also sins that one might THINK he does not commit until he realises that he needs to be sanctified.In that hunger and emptiness he pleads for the searching light of God to reveal those hidden sins ones ignored.Thats when sins like pride,love of the world,fear of man,anger,deceitfulness,double speech etc starts to be reveald.only then will one truely undersatand the depth of the OLD MAN(adamic nature) and the need to totally uproot it and be sanctified.

Try and get or google the book 'You will never be the same by Basilea Schlink' or 'The old man by E.G. Marsh' .It will be worth the read that is if you are ready to really surrender all and be a christian and not the fantasy christianity that is practised in most churches today.
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Feb 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
What is the conviction of sin? What is the difference between guilt and the conviction of sin? What should I do when I feel convicted about sin?
I believe conviction of sin is when a person comes to the realisation that something they have been doing probably even unknowingly, was wrong. It comes once a person has gone through a "process" of self realisation and it comes at the same time as the victory over the same thing.

That's my experience. The moment I come to a realization about something is the moment the change starts manifesting with no effort.

Guilt on the other hand is a burden that comes on your spirit when you realize you have done something . It's different from conviction in that conviction comes with power and lifts a burden while guilt imposes a spiritual burden.

The dictionary definition of guilt is on point -

Guilt is a cognitive or an emotional experience that occurs when a person realizes or believes—accurately or not—that he or she has compromised his or her own standards of conduct or has violated a moral standard and bears significant responsibility for that violation. It is closely related to the concept of remorse.
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by Scholar8200(m): 5:47pm On Feb 17, 2016
15 And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christ’s] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always].
Colossians 3:15(AMP)

18 Little children, let us... love [merely] ... in deed and in truth (in practice and in sincerity).
19 By this we shall come to know (perceive, recognize, and understand) that we are of the Truth, and can reassure (quiet, conciliate, and pacify) our hearts in His presence,
20 Whenever our hearts in [[n]tormenting] self-accusation make us feel guilty and condemn us. [For [o]we are in God’s hands.] For He is above and greater than our consciences (our hearts), and He knows (perceives and understands) everything [nothing is hidden from Him].
21 And, beloved, if our consciences (our hearts) do not accuse us [if they do not make us feel guilty and condemn us], we have confidence (complete assurance and boldness) before God,
1 John 3:18-21

When we walk in the Spirit, we walk in love and one of the manifestations is Peace (internal and external) the latter being a function of the former.

But when we go out of step with the Spirit, we lose this peace this being the Spirit's way of calling our attention to retrace our steps and make things right. At this time, instead of peace, we experience what John calls condemnation of the heart.

While we fail to yield, we quench the Spirit and loose our relationship pending the time we repent and make things right. With the gradual quenching of the Spirit comes an increasing awareness of guilt {realisation of wrongdoing and deserving of punishment). Persistence in this state (no thanks to errors like eternal security) sans making things right may live us with a hardened conscience (seared with a hot iron) that may not feel the guilt anymore.

This is why Paul's discipline was:

16 Therefore I always exercise and discipline myself [mortifying my body, deadening my carnal affections, bodily appetites, and worldly desires, endeavoring in all respects] to have a clear (unshaken, blameless) conscience, void of offense toward God and toward men.
Acts 24:16

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:13pm On Feb 17, 2016
dhardline:

Now there are sins which every person knows easily e.g. Lying,stealing,adultery etc.
There are also sins that one might THINK he does not commit until he realises that he needs to be sanctified.In that hunger and emptiness he pleads for the searching light of God to reveal those hidden sins ones ignored.Thats when sins like pride,love of the world,fear of man,anger,deceitfulness,double speech etc starts to be reveald.only then will one truely undersatand the depth of the OLD MAN(adamic nature) and the need to totally uproot it and be sanctified.

Try and get or google the book 'You will never be the same by Basilea Schlink' or 'The old man by E.G. Marsh' .It will be worth the read that is if you are ready to really surrender all and be a christian and not the fantasy christianity that is practised in most churches today.

Do we have to pray for the seaching light of God or how exactly does the Holy Spirit use the light of God to reveal those hidden sins in our lives?
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:24pm On Feb 17, 2016
Scholar8200:

15 And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christ’s] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always].

18 Little children, let us... love [merely] ... in deed and in truth (in practice and in sincerity).
19 By this we shall come to know (perceive, recognize, and understand) that we are of the Truth, and can reassure (quiet, conciliate, and pacify) our hearts in His presence,
20 Whenever our hearts in [[n]tormenting] self-accusation make us feel guilty and condemn us. [For [o]we are in God’s hands.] For He is above and greater than our consciences (our hearts), and He knows (perceives and understands) everything [nothing is hidden from Him].
21 And, beloved, if our consciences (our hearts) do not accuse us [if they do not make us feel guilty and condemn us], we have confidence (complete assurance and boldness) before God,

When we walk in the Spirit, we walk in love and one of the manifestations is Peace (internal and external) the latter being a function of the former.

But when we go out of step with the Spirit, we lose this peace this being the Spirit's way of calling our attention to retrace our steps and make things right. At this time, instead of peace, we experience what John calls condemnation of the heart.

While we fail to yield, we quench the Spirit and loose our relationship pending the time we repent and make things right. With the gradual quenching of the Spirit comes an increasing awareness of guilt {realisation of wrongdoing and deserving of punishment). Persistence in this state (no thanks to errors like eternal security) sans making things right may live us with a hardened conscience (seared with a hot iron) that may not feel the guilt anymore.

16 Therefore I always exercise and discipline myself [mortifying my body, deadening my carnal affections, bodily appetites, and worldly desires, endeavoring in all respects] to have a clear (unshaken, blameless) conscience, void of offense toward God and toward men.

What role does the Holy Spirit play when a Christian loses his peace, does he get convinced and convicted before repentance or does he just believe? If he gets convicted what does the Holy Spirit use in bringing about this conviction?
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Feb 17, 2016
Scholar8200:

Very true. Especially the part about loosing peace.

It also happens according to ones level of spiritual growth. There are some things that you will get away with at a point in your life, and, small as they may be, turn your life upside down when you have aged abit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by dhardline(m): 8:03pm On Feb 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Do we have to pray for the seaching light of God or how exactly does the Holy Spirit use the light of God to reveal those hidden sins in our lives?

Yes we have to,cause without it you might see yourself free of any blemish but that searching light will reveal all hidden,ignored and secret sin.Only then will you really see yourself as you truely are.then you will begin to look for a way out...God has a way of showing us answers when we really need them.Remember seek and you will find.Thoes who hunger and thirst shall be filled and you can only be filled according to the level of thirst you desire. E.g sum will drink a cup of water and be filled while some need 2 and others 3 or more...so the level of your hunger and thirst to know him will determine the level in which you will receive.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:12pm On Feb 17, 2016
dhardline:

Yes we have to,cause without it you might see yourself free of any blemish but that searching light will reveal all hidden,ignored and secret sin.Only then will you really see yourself as you truely are.then you will begin to look for a way out...God has a way of showing us answers when we really need them.Remember seek and you will find.Thoes who hunger and thirst shall be filled and you can only be filled according to the level of thirst you desire. E.g sum will drink a cup of water and be filled while some need 2 and others 3 or more...so the level of your hunger and thirst to know him will determine the level in which you will receive.

What is that searching light? undecided
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Feb 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

What role does the Holy Spirit play when a Christian looses his peace, does his get convinced and convicted before repentance or does he just believe? If he gets convicted what does the Holy Spirit use in bringing about this conviction?

I think conviction comes before repentance.
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by Scholar8200(m): 8:56pm On Feb 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

What role does the Holy Spirit play when a Christian looses his peace, does his get convinced and convicted before repentance or does he just believe? If he gets convicted what does the Holy Spirit use in bringing about this conviction?
The Holy Spirit uses, among other things, our enlightened conscience (enlightened at salvation) and the Word which He brings to our remembrance.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by promisechuks: 9:00pm On Feb 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

The Holyspirit does not convict you of your sins but your conscience does that.

The holyspirit is there to assure you for the abundance of grace, forgiveness and also assures you that you are still righteous before God, even when you trespass, if you really believe in the finished work of christ.
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by Scholar8200(m): 9:39pm On Feb 17, 2016
promisechuks:

The holyspirit is there to assure you for the abundance of grace, forgiveness and also assures you that you are still righteous before God, even when you trespass, if you really believe in the finished work of christ.
What do you understand by, Quench not the Spirit?; Grieve not the Spirit? Especially if what you just described is all He does!
How about Hebrews 10 that tells us by sinning wilfully we,among others, do despite to the Spirit of grace?
I assume you know where these can be found in the Bible.
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by promisechuks: 11:42pm On Feb 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Please holyspirit is NOT the one convicting you of your sins. He does NOT tell you, you are guilty of ANY sin you commit, because christ took your guilt and condemnation at the cross(before you even commit it, so you owe NO DEBT), but it is the DEVIL through your conscience convicts you and condemns you of your sin, so that you will start to see yourself as a sinner before God, which is contrary to the way God sees you in christ, because christ OVERPAID the consequences of your past, present and future sins(no matter the weight of the sin).

Am I giving you licence to sin? NO!
Because even without license(living under the law), you still sin, whether knowingly or unknowingly, no man is above sin because there is NO GOOD in our flesh, owing to the fact that man is FULL OF IMPERFECTION.

The holyspirit is the one that convinces you of your righteousness by FAITH in christ Jesus' work on the cross, even at when you sin.
But why do I feel condemned when I trespass? Yes! You condemn yourself because you do not know all this things. You can only live within the box of the TRUTH you know. The truth you DO NOT know cannot help unless you search for them and know them.

The holyspirit also convicts a sinner that he is a sinner that CANNOT help himself(no matter how rightly the sinner lives), so that the sinner will see the need to accept christ who took the consequences of your sins(past, present, future) by dying on your behalf, so that the will not have to pay for his sin but just live for christ.

Don't let people deceive you! Because you will end up living a life of condemnation and sin-conciousness, thinking that it is the holyspirit is convicting you, condemning you and making you concious of sin.
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by promisechuks: 11:49pm On Feb 17, 2016
Scholar8200:
What do you understand by, Quench not the Spirit?; Grieve not the Spirit? Especially if what you just described is all He does!
How about Hebrews 10 that tells us by sinning wilfully we,among others, do despite to the Spirit of grace?
Please, you can just explain what those question really are, so I can know your points because I believe that the gospel is always clear.
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by promisechuks: 11:49pm On Feb 17, 2016
Scholar8200:
Please, you can just explain what those question really are, so I can know your points because I believe that the gospel is always clear.

No need to argue!
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by Nobody: 4:40am On Feb 18, 2016
promisechuks:

Start with the definition of conviction. And guilt.
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by dhardline(m): 11:36pm On Feb 18, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

What is that searching light? undecided

Its a revealing light to put it in a better perspective.it reaveals the true you.
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by orisa37: 1:11pm On Feb 19, 2016
Fear is. You are afraid when your Faith is failing. You become Iinconsistent and nervy. Prayer is the Key.
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by Amberon: 9:17pm On Feb 19, 2016
waste not your precious time. The person you quoted is known for several misconceptions.
Scholar8200:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by Amberon: 9:21pm On Feb 19, 2016
Again you are wrong. What do you think prompts restitution?
promisechuks:

Please holyspirit is NOT the one convicting you of your sins. He does NOT tell you, you are guilty of ANY sin you commit, because christ took your guilt and condemnation at the cross(before you even commit it, so you owe NO DEBT), but it is the DEVIL through your conscience convicts you and condemns you of your sin, so that you will start to see yourself as a sinner before God, which is contrary to the way God sees you in christ, because christ OVERPAID the consequences of your past, present and future sins(no matter the weight of the sin).

Am I giving you licence to sin? NO!
Because even without license(living under the law), you still sin, whether knowingly or unknowingly, no man is above sin because there is NO GOOD in our flesh, owing to the fact that man is FULL OF IMPERFECTION.

The holyspirit is the one that convinces you of your righteousness by FAITH in christ Jesus' work on the cross, even at when you sin.
But why do I feel condemned when I trespass? Yes! You condemn yourself because you do not know all this things. You can only live within the box of the TRUTH you know. The truth you DO NOT know cannot help unless you search for them and know them.

The holyspirit also convicts a sinner that he is a sinner that CANNOT help himself(no matter how rightly the sinner lives), so that the sinner will see the need to accept christ who took the consequences of your sins(past, present, future) by dying on your behalf, so that the will not have to pay for his sin but just live for christ.

Don't let people deceive you! Because you will end up living a life of condemnation and sin-conciousness, thinking that it is the holyspirit is convicting you, condemning you and making you concious of sin.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by Scholar8200(m): 1:43pm On Feb 20, 2016
Promisechuks, was Paul being legalistic when he made this declaration concerning a fornicator in Church:

5 to deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.
1 Corinth 5:5,13

Bro Promise would have said," Paul!!! Dont be sin conscious! All that man's sins for past,present and future are forgiven!" IS THAT RIGHT?
ANd, "Paul!!! Dont judge!!! his salvation is still intact he has been perfected by Christ!!! Is THAt Right?

Yes Redemption Is Perfect and Permanent!!! But since we enter only by FAITH, are our FAITHS perfect and permanent?! Why are we commanded to Hold fast, watch?

Pls help me ask that Other Joseph Prince's disciple whose threads would not accept healthy, scriptural questions!

Why was Paul continually referring to deception when he had to outline sins and warning that they which did such had no place in the Kingdom?!
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:16pm On Feb 21, 2016
Muafrika2:

I think conviction comes before repentance.

Yes. The Holy Spirit leads us to be convinced, convicted before we get converted and then consecrated and commissioned. smiley

1 Like

Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by enm(m): 1:06am On Feb 22, 2016
What of a person who committed adultery in the past before deciding that enough is enough and get serious in his relationship with christ?

The person confess openly and wrote an apology letter to his partner in crime. With this is the person ok?
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by Nobody: 3:02am On Feb 22, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Yes. The Holy Spirit leads us to be convinced the convicted before we get converted and then consecrated and commissioned. smiley
Well put.
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:19pm On Feb 24, 2016
dhardline:

Its a revealing light to put it in a better perspective.it reaveals the true you.

What is this revealing light that reveals the true me?
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by dhardline(m): 6:39pm On Feb 24, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

What is this revealing light that reveals the true me?

It is the mercy of God...pray for his mercy and for him to reveal to you how you truly are.
Re: What Is The Conviction Of Sin? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:12pm On Feb 24, 2016
dhardline:

It is the mercy of God...pray for his mercy and for him to reveal to you how you truly are.

I know its the mercy of God but how does God reveal how I am truly? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Igbos Must Stop Praying For ISRAEL / Many Adult Educated Atheists will find this simple task Impossible! / Can I Wear White Garment Without Shoes To Christ Embassy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.