Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,585 members, 7,827,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN (8077 Views)

Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN / Naira Redesign: Old, New Notes Are Legal Tender – CBN Reveals / FG Bows To Will Of The Supreme Court: Old Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender - FFK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by Goodmorning20: 6:41pm On Nov 08, 2023
The Central Bank of Nigeria has instructed all its branches nationwide to continue issuing various denominations of both old and redesigned banknotes in ample quantities to deposit money banks.

The apex bank disclosed this in a statement signed by its Director, Corporate Communications, Isa AbdulMumin, and posted on its X handle on Wednesday.

This comes in response to reports of cash shortages in major cities, despite earlier assurances from the CBN about sufficient cash availability nationwide.

[HE b]Part of the statement read, “For the avoidance of doubt, while reiterating that there are sufficient banknotes across the country for all normal economic activity, we wish to state unambiguously that every banknote issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria remains legal tender and should not be rejected by anyone, as stipulated in Section 20(5) of the CBN Act, 2007.[/b]

“Accordingly, branches of the CBN across the country have been directed to continue to issue different denominations of old and redesigned banknotes in adequate quantities to Deposit Money Banks for onward circulation to bank customers.

“We wish to restate that all denominations of banknotes issued by the CBN remain legal tender. In line with Section 20(5) of the CBN Act, 2007.”

It added that “no one should refuse to accept the naira as a means of payment.”

The CBN advised the public to accept all CBN-issued banknotes currently in circulation and guard against panic withdrawals.

“We reaffirm that there is sufficient stock of currency notes to facilitate normal economic activities. Furthermore, to reduce the pressure on the use of physical cash, members of the public are again advised to continue to embrace alternative modes of payment,” it noted
https://punchng.com/breaking-old-new-naira-notes-remain-legal-tender-cbn/?amp

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by Pelin1998: 6:46pm On Nov 08, 2023
Na today? Mtcheww

2 Likes

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by SIXTEENTH(m): 6:51pm On Nov 08, 2023
Nothing changed, Old or New

2 Likes

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by kokoA(m): 7:07pm On Nov 08, 2023
Emefiele, God will punish you again and again for the pains you caused me and my business.

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by Tojan: 7:20pm On Nov 08, 2023
So the last administration just decided to punish this great country for no just cause

11 Likes

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by Day169: 7:21pm On Nov 08, 2023
kokoA:
Emefiele, God will punish you again and again for the pains you caused me and my business.
He may never know the extent of untold hardship he brought upon Nigerians about a year ago.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by KingKO22: 7:34pm On Nov 08, 2023
Before nko

Emeifiele just wasted billions of Naira printing rubbish.
Imagine CBN governor to envisage that 500b new notes would be sufficient to cater for over 200 millions population while destroying over 3.5tr old notes

He should be stone to death. but IPOBidients would defend him by all means

7 Likes

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by Brendaniel: 6:10am On Nov 09, 2023
Damidave1124:
That's what we said when that heartless Emefiele wants to finish us back in February.

Let both old and new not coexist and remain legal tender, then you gradually start mopping up the old notes till they are no longer in circulation.

theophorus:
To think that this currency issue lead to several losses last February/March is quite appalling.

No thanks to Emiefiele and his gang.

KingKO22:
Before nko

Emeifiele just wasted billions of Naira printing rubbish.
Imagine CBN governor to envisage that 500b new notes would be sufficient to cater for over 200 millions population while destroying over 3.5tr old notes

He should be stone to death. but IPOBidients would defend him by all means

In as much as you guys might hate Emefiele, he is far better than the current handlers of the CBN, I have never supported Emefiele, you can go check my previous posts I have always been against Emefiele, I knew he was causing damages to Nigeria but as at then people like you who support Tinubu were busy in his support because of Tinubu till he started fighting Tinubu.

You guys should be more focused on the current damage going on in the country and not Emefiele, you guys supported his reappointment by Buhari when people like us were shouting for him to be removed, so please stop all these nonsense blame and focus on the current administration that has done worse than Emefiele and you guys are quiet about it.

Back to the topic, I know they will never want the old notes phases out, part of the reason the naira is devalued like this is because of over printing of the naira and using the same over printing to mop up dollars, why won't the naira drop in value?

Some People don't just know how bad this Naira devaluation can get, it can be as bad as people using wheel barrow full of money to go to market to buy goods that will not fill a poly bag, some people dont just know....

12 Likes

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by theophorus(m): 6:10am On Nov 09, 2023
To think that this currency issue lead to several losses last February/March is quite appalling.

No thanks to Emiefiele and his gang.

2 Likes

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by Damidave1124(m): 6:11am On Nov 09, 2023
That's what we said when that heartless Emefiele wants to finish us back in February.

Let both old and new not coexist and remain legal tender, then you gradually start mopping up the old notes till they are no longer in circulation.

3 Likes

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by LajaLaba: 6:11am On Nov 09, 2023
Obi people see ya life undecided

6 Likes

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by izubext007: 6:12am On Nov 09, 2023
Not again
Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by tuoyoojo(m): 6:15am On Nov 09, 2023
So money spent to print new notes were a complete waste

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by socialmediaman: 6:16am On Nov 09, 2023
Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by helinues: 6:16am On Nov 09, 2023
grin

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by ybalogs(m): 6:16am On Nov 09, 2023
Today’s Beautiful Hadith is about Friendship
Abu'd-Darda' (ra) said, "Shall I tell you about something better for you than sadaqa and fasting? Improving the state of friendship. Hatred is what shaves things away."

(Al-Adab Al-Mufrad 412, Book 22, Hadith 16)

Getting on with one another, putting your trust in someone and being a true friend is an honourable status and one that can gain you many rewards in your lifetime. It's easy to be angered by something but better to let small things go. Those who have been with you for years and supported you are too valuable to lose over petty arguments. A good friend is a real treasure in today's world. Find one but also be that person and seek to inspire and encourage everyone you encounter, you never know when your actions and example may change someone's life for the better!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by CJStarz: 6:16am On Nov 09, 2023
For this news alone,make I try like Tinubu today small 😊
Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by Olachase(m): 6:16am On Nov 09, 2023
We all kw the reason the currency color was changed is for politics purpose

The only surprising thing is how those who called themselves obituary candidates supported the sudden change of the money

Las Las no politicians care about us

8 Likes

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by NaijaCoverBlog(m): 6:17am On Nov 09, 2023
Wow
Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by ybalogs(m): 6:17am On Nov 09, 2023
Bihari and his cronies just wasted money to make the new notes . That's been the norms anyways. SMH

1 Like

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by atobs4real(m): 6:22am On Nov 09, 2023
For real now and b4nko
Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by CooldipoMPS: 6:27am On Nov 09, 2023
grin grin

Good
Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by DeflectedMisile: 6:34am On Nov 09, 2023
We are not interested in this naira notes trash story anymore
Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by guru90: 6:34am On Nov 09, 2023
9ja is number comedy country in the whole world..... check and verify....

I will never buy naira with naira again and again....
Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by sylve11: 6:35am On Nov 09, 2023
They actually used this Naira redesign to deal with the masses.

It's good to know the old note is still a legal tender. cool

2 Likes

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by accordadoga29(f): 6:36am On Nov 09, 2023
Hehehehe

To me the old note is the new note.

The new note is the old note.

They both should not co-exist.

That nonsense that pig, Emefiole Ifeanyi printed as new note should be removed from the circulation.

4 Likes

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by staneless(m): 6:41am On Nov 09, 2023
They should even remove the new one that meffi hurriedly designed...that money no get quality at all. Na total nonsense. Under one yr in circulation, money don tear tear angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by GanagiBitrus: 6:44am On Nov 09, 2023
Don't understand why people leave out Buhari in the blame game.

He was the President & C in C and was fully aware of the Naira design. He even made a nationwide broadcast to justify the new design.

3 Likes

Re: Old, New Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender – CBN by mytime24(f): 7:04am On Nov 09, 2023
Emefiole under apc government

Yet some fools 🤔 above are blaming obi

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Im A Student & I Make Over #200,000 Monthly Selling Popcorn / What Manufacturing Product Can I Start With As Little As 500K Naira / Five Challenges Of Nigerian Entrepreneurs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.