Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,353 members, 7,839,630 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State (9265 Views)

Building Collapses In Mile 12, Lagos, One Dead ( PHOTOS) / Storey Building Collapses At Sabo Yaba (photos) / Building Collapses In Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi, Four Injured, Many Trapped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by EACBLAZE: 9:58pm On Oct 27, 2011
May God's name be praised for ever, Assume that this happened in the midnite
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by AmeLonRo(m): 10:23pm On Oct 27, 2011
we give GOD praise that no life was lost. Perharps the building has served its maximum time, I believe it was not built to last 4eva.
smiley wink cheesy smiley cry cry
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by uhuns: 11:05pm On Oct 27, 2011
En guys

allow the matter sinour you .

anyhow what are the ans to these

what is the age of the structure-

what is it being used for currently .

what is the geo formation of the place as the time of construction.

what is the recent geo-formation of the place

was te construction ok as at then,

was the design ok

any source of chemical leaching to the base structure.

where they quacks or profectionals in both construction and design.

any recent sand mining or ground water movement around that area.

geo test was done raining or dry season
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Nymphnode(m): 3:33am On Oct 28, 2011
Naija can sabi look. Chei!
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by pillarbase: 11:08am On Oct 28, 2011
my fellow chat mate,let stop deceiving our self.i know more of this,will happen in the nearest future.Can someone tell lagos state govt,to be sincere by the way and manner ,thier agenceS are formed.A building in my area, under construction, 3 storey under two month.i know ,it will collapse very soon
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by alex406(m): 11:20am On Oct 28, 2011
Thank God no life was lost.
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Gbenge77(m): 12:13pm On Oct 28, 2011
The incidence of collapsed buildings in Nigeria is getting worrisome.
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by nitachi: 12:19pm On Oct 28, 2011
I also learnt thet the actual cause of the building collapse is its foundation, those who can recal will remeber dt buildin use to be a storey building,b4 it ws done into its 6 floors. I believe in trying to cut corners, d foundation was not solid enuf to carry 5 more floors nd it resulted in this,a typical example is one that recently collapsed in my area as well, a warehouse converted into a 3 strorey,it was still under construction wen 1 rainy nyte the whole thing collapsed to the ground.I think civil engineers shld look in to having a standard regulatory body tht will look into matters like this.
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Olu2la(m): 5:23pm On Oct 28, 2011
What are we talking about, Are there not people living in Jakande Estate who should be raising alarm to the government.
Its the next disaster waiting to happen. A good number of the buildings in that estate are not structurally sound & should be pulled down in time & better, safer buildings put up instead.
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Aventures(m): 7:08pm On Oct 28, 2011
This is quite unfortunate! From the story and the picture ,whenever a building is about to collapse and it gives signs such as it happened in this case then under reinforcement; poor concrete; poor structural design are likely to be the cause. Thank God it wasn't a problem of over reinforced then the collapse would have been sudden.,
Re: 6 Storey Building Collapses At Maryland Area Of Lagos State by Santino1(m): 11:42am On Nov 02, 2011
Jeezuzpick:

In Nigeria, we construct Reinforced Concrete Framed Structures.

Problem is, we use portal frames, made up of only Columns and
Beams, bearing the Slabs and Walls.

So, like in the picture, what happens is that the central Columns,
which are subject to greater loading than those closer to the perimeter
(edges) are more susceptible to failure.

What we need to do is to introduce RC Shear Walls to serve as the core
of the Buildings. They traditionally house the lift wells and conveniences,
so we don't need to pass pipes through the Columns and Beams as is
the current practice.

Of course, the magomago wey contractors dem dey do na anoda
wahala,

I wish NSE and COREN can be empowered to carry out unscheduled
visits to construction sites to enforce adherence to Building Standards.

Plus, the practice of making Reinforcement Bars out of old, rusty metal
scraps doesn't help, either.

Nice one, are you a structural engineer

(1) (2) (Reply)

Very Cheap Lands In Enugu,1000 Plots Of Land For Sale After Abakpa EnuguĀ 500k / Brenthills Estate Abuja Now Selling, Buy and Build Now! / Nigerian House Plan: Construction Of 4-units 5-bedroom Semi Detached Terraces

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.