Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,713 members, 7,809,704 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

Surfing in Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Surfing in Nigeria (6117 Views)

Surfing/spearfishing Buddy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surfing in Nigeria by obong(m): 8:39pm On Jul 09, 2005
I hear some people surf in Lagos and Port Harcourt at a few of the beaches there, but does anyone else know of places to surf outside of Lagos and Port Harcourt, and the quality of the water?
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by kazey(m): 8:46pm On Jul 09, 2005
Man this obong nah white boy in african skin o? or nah white boy? (no offence intended) Wetin be surfing ? Abeg get something like beach soccer to play.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by Seun(m): 8:58pm On Jul 09, 2005
"Surfing is a popular recreational activity and sport in which individuals are propelled across the water by the force of waves, while standing on, predominantly, GRP ("fiberglass"wink boards. Wooden and foam boards ('foamies') are also used."

[center][/center]
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by obong(m): 10:31pm On Jul 09, 2005
No offense taken. Surfing came from the people of the hawaii islands, not from white people. They have surfed for centuries, even royalty surfed on the hawaiian island, until white speople found it. Besides, there is no such thing as a white or black sport. I'd like to see us engaged in any sport. Not jsut football
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by jogego(m): 11:08pm On Jul 09, 2005
men jaws and his fellow great white beasts stay in the water, and I stay on terra firma. We have a perfectly good understanding which suits us both......any water wey pass swimming pool, abeg me I no get hand
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 11:38pm On Jul 09, 2005
Are there surfing boards in Nigeria?? grin *hides in one corner*. Wow. Anyways.. good to know some people are now surfing...Do you surf obong?
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by obong(m): 1:12am On Jul 10, 2005
I'm not in nigeria, thats why i'm asking. But i dont think there is a market for surf boards or even surf boards in nigeria. Should people start surfin, it'd be good business to make them in nigeria. There are sites that rate the places to surf around the world, (wannasurf.com and globalsurfers.com)and it lists a few in Nigeria, but thier reviews were so bad, i thought it best to ask folks in Nigeria about other beaches they may know about. They basically said the beaches in Nigeria (all in Lagos) were full of prostitues, beggers, filth and crime. They may be right, but i wanted to know if there were beaches in less crowded cities that people knew about.

wannasurf.com is good because it has some nice pictures. The waves seem a bit small though
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by Hunter(m): 1:38am On Jul 10, 2005
the beach in eket isn't full of any of those things, but appararantly it has a nasty rip tide.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by obong(m): 2:42am On Jul 10, 2005
Know of any other beaches in nigeria with decent surfing capacity? By the way, did you try to surf in eket?
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 2:56am On Jul 10, 2005
Obong i was asking if you knew how to surf. I have no idea about surfing in Nigeria.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by obong(m): 3:06am On Jul 10, 2005
Sorry, hot angel. I was responding to variety of posts in that one. Yes, I do know how to surf. I've met a few nigerians that do, though not in nigeria. i'm by no means an expert though
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 3:21am On Jul 10, 2005
smiley
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by obong(m): 3:24am On Jul 10, 2005
Its kinda scary, and the fear of drowning under a big wave is always there. I'm older now so I don't try anything of the sort anymore. But maybe when i come to nigeria

Where do you live hot-angel
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 4:38am On Jul 10, 2005
haha. Fear of drowning.. yep. I live at Texas.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by kazey(m): 6:03am On Jul 10, 2005
Seun of course i know what surfing is. I live on an island. tongue . And well Obong i didnt say it was from white people. But when i think of surfing all i see nah white boys o. Even over here, underwater stuff and surfing and hiking nah white boy thingy o.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by Chxta(m): 10:38am On Jul 10, 2005
Went to the site that the white boy in Calabar man skin recommended. Na only whitey I see dey surf!
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by c0dec(m): 1:01pm On Jul 10, 2005
obong, if u ever come back to nigeria, u'll be one lonely dude with regards to recreation.

nigerians love soccer. the only kind of recreation i get at the beach is beach soccer.

surfing?!? hey, how about bungy diving?!
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by obong(m): 3:05pm On Jul 10, 2005
Hot angel, I didn't know people surfed out in Texas.

c0dec, Iplay soccer and played it a lot when i lived in nigeria. Bu if the facilities to surf exis in nigeria, it canbe introduced successfully. I'll have black boys and girl surfing in no time
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by kazey(m): 3:22pm On Jul 10, 2005
obong:

I'll have black boys and girl surfing in no time
grin thats nice.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 4:15pm On Jul 10, 2005
Hot angel, I didn't know people surfed out in Texas.

Of course we do. The beach in houston has so many waves.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by Chxta(m): 4:29pm On Jul 10, 2005
This thread's gay
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 4:30pm On Jul 10, 2005
Yeah kinda..But oh well..we ain't got no choice than to answer.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by obong(m): 6:13pm On Jul 10, 2005
If you think the thread is gay, don't answer it and it will die off.

At any rate, hot angel, i hea a lot of ibos and ibibio, (basically easterners) live in Houston. I live in New York now and the africans here blend in
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 6:16pm On Jul 10, 2005
I can't Live in houston. If i wanna live in houston why don't I just go back to Nigeria. Look up-down-side-right-left, you must find a Nigerian or African. I also can't live in New-York, because that place is just too freaking busy.. (although shopping in New york is great!).
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by obong(m): 6:23pm On Jul 10, 2005
Nothing beats NY. Its truly the world's city. You can live the business if you want, though its more expensive. But NY is where its at.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 6:32pm On Jul 10, 2005
Don't bite me if i say i disagree.. Living in New-York is hard. Cos ot living is hard, risk of living is high, infact the only good thing about New-york is the beauty of the place and also the stuffs they sell.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by obong(m): 2:43am On Jul 11, 2005
Ok. Thats your opinion. I just wondered if its based on what the media says about NY, or actual living experinece.

I have this imression of Texas as full of the clan and too racist for blacks. But its probably not tht bad
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by Seun(m): 9:38pm On Jul 11, 2005
Well I live in Nigeria.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by Hunter(m): 9:59pm On Jul 12, 2005
Surfing is very popular here in Australia grin

and no I didn't go surfing in eket cause I suck and the afore mentioned rip tide.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by mustafar1: 4:20am On Apr 05, 2006
scuba diving off the coast of lagos island.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by Badman888(m): 1:59am On Apr 17, 2006
surfing in Nigeria a big no
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by larger20(m): 3:08am On Apr 17, 2006
I dont think the sea topography in the nigerian coastal can allow us to surf. Its very risky.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Giovanni Trapattoni To Sign Two Year Contract With Nigeria / NSF 2024: Organizers Begin Search For Ceremonies Team / Any Sure Game For Baba Ijebu Lotto This Afternoon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.