Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,443 members, 7,819,641 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Surfing in Nigeria - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Surfing in Nigeria (6125 Views)

Surfing/spearfishing Buddy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Surfing in Nigeria by skier: 9:08pm On May 22, 2006
Hey, I've been looking for a nice wave in Nigeria. I'm in Port Harcourt and have my board here. I will probably head to Eket if a few weeks to check it out.

If any one has some info on surfing around PHC, please tell me!!!

Cheers
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by Seun(m): 10:54pm On Mar 16, 2007
Make sure you take some pictures when you go surfing and post them here for us. Thanks in advance!
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by Biblezap(m): 9:15am On Mar 21, 2007
Cant believe what I m hearing shocked

References to Surfing as 'white' thing ,
rather PLAY beach football , ??

LISTEN, slowpoke one and two , I am white, I am African
I surf

Oh, wake up

F Y I I m S African, and have surfed abroad for fame and , "HellO! " ignoramous, there's MONEY in surfing too,

ah, some here know, GLAD,, so good to hear,

FOR the rest -: this is FORUM -- international viewer-ship , and you'd like Nigeria to have visitors/tourists ,

ahhh INVESTMENT. YeS ! , NO ?

tongue Like to see more surfing pic's -- Its my first post -- and likely some 'd like to see it be my last --

gt to know who ' I AM ' and why , what I stand for and where I ve travelelled and what I represent -

YOU ' ll change embarassed
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by Seun(m): 8:46am On Apr 05, 2007
Please don't forget to send in pictures of yourself surfing. Thanks!
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by holythug(m): 3:27pm On Jan 03, 2008
shocked abeg no try am 4 lagos whispers (water wey get shit)
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by ritchboy(m): 6:24pm On Jan 03, 2008
Holythug
lmao, u no wel o
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by davidif: 9:04pm On Jan 03, 2008
Obong, he get something wey oyinbo dey do and wey dudu (yoruba for black) dey do. Here for yanki, there are some things black folks do and don't do like surfing, skating, skiing, ice hockey, polo, cliff climbing, sky diving and the whole lot. That's why when you hear on the news that somebody got eaten by a shark or died in an avalanche on the Colorado rockies what comes into your mind is "WHITE FOLKS!!!" he he he grin grin grin . I am not trying to be racist but i am just saying that there is too many things that black people die from everyday and we are definitely not about to add drowning in the atlantic to one of them ha ha ha. grin
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by funkynana: 6:45pm On Apr 06, 2008
surfing is awesome if I must say I'm a Nigerian haven't been home in 10 years :S
so I would luv it if it was a surfing paradise don't u think so obong ?
they could be a African version of Vietnam great place to surf as well !!
much better than here in Holland sad waves are tiny
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by TheSly: 6:49pm On Apr 06, 2008
Obong, he get something wey oyinbo dey do and wey dudu (yoruba for black) dey do. Here for yanki, there are some things black folks do and don't do like surfing, skating, skiing, ice hockey, polo, cliff climbing, sky diving and the whole lot. That's why when you hear on the news that somebody got eaten by a shark or died in an avalanche on the Colorado rockies what comes into your mind is "WHITE FOLKS!!!" he he he grin grin grin . I am not trying to be racist but i am just saying that there is too many things that black people die from everyday and we are definitely not about to add drowning in the atlantic to one of them ha ha ha.
grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by iice(f): 6:50pm On Apr 06, 2008
So are there any good waves? undecided
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by hustler(m): 10:08am On Apr 07, 2008
skier:

Hey, I've been looking for a nice wave in Nigeria. I'm in Port Harcourt and have my board here. I will probably head to Eket if a few weeks to check it out.

If any one has some info on surfing around PHC, please tell me!!!

Cheers

Have u tried the ogbuakun lake in PHC. It's close to where the militants reside in the creeks the area.Where they transport the barrels.

It's fantastic for surfing.Watch out for the bullets dat be flyin tho. Pls try it.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by NVR: 3:35pm On Oct 03, 2009
yes there is surf In Nigeria, and there arer a few hardy souls surfing here, Oyibo and local, the whole west african coast gets surf but it is fickle, when it's good it's excellent, mostly rainy season. along the caost there is off shore a constant 2 meter lazy swell for most of the rainy season , just look at a costal map and you'll find places where it breaks . i live and work in cameroun where there is a strong but small local surfing community, our coast is much less exposed than that of Nigeria, Malabo gets in the way! However I have worked up and down the coast of Nigeria and seen some cracking breaks.

A few years ago I was kidnapped by those chummy chaps from MEND, and when they took us into the swamps in their speed boats it was through an absolutely picture perfect river mouth peeling glassy left and rights at least 6 ft face ,, AK 47 in the back of the neck did a bit to spoil the atmosphere though! I have seen pics of people surfing around Lagos and PH but the best spots if you can approach by boat would be Bayalssa state. If yopu look at the way the Delt sticks out like Senegal, it picks up North and south swells.

hope that helps
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 7:00am On Oct 05, 2009
holythug:

shocked abeg no try am 4 lagos whispers (water wey get shit)

Haha,very funny.I'm sure you're referring to the waves of the Lagos bar beach
As far as I know,we wve some good waves in Tarkwa bay beach,it's pretty much neater than bar beach and the undercurrents are not as strong as those of the bar beach and the waves are less violent,especially towards the south end of the beach.I'm an amateur surfer,though it's been a long time I surfed last,I remember these two particular guys that were good,I remember how we'd lay flat on the surf board (some use buggies) paddle with our hands a bit into the sea,looking out for waves building up,we'd then turn at the right time and ride the waves

iice:

So are there any good waves? undecided

Yes,there are
Those are the ones that dont fall too quickly,enabling you to surf longer and whose undercurrents won't suck you back into the bottom of the sea
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by ikeyman00(m): 8:33am On Oct 05, 2009
nvr
A few years ago I was kidnapped by those chummy chaps from MEND,

beaf
why kidnapping people naw?

nawoo
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 2:39pm On Oct 05, 2009
@ Davidif

You're one funny son of a gun,you're right though grin grin grin
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by iice(f): 3:57pm On Oct 06, 2009
rasputinn:

Yes,there are
Those are the ones that dont fall too quickly,enabling you to surf longer and whose undercurrents won't suck you back into the bottom of the sea

Gotcha wink
I don't surf as much these days anyway too. . .free diving is taking my interest lol. . .that and wakeboarding cheesy
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by GBLp: 4:40pm On Dec 09, 2011
Hey guys.

I'm going to Nigeria in a couple of days and I was hoping I could find some surf there.
When I watched The Endless Summer, I noticed one of the first stops that the surfers make is in Nigeria.
I'm not sure where it was exactley, but it looked ok for surfing.
I've been searching on the internet and found a couple of places that look alright. Tarqua Bay, Shipwrecks and (Lagos beach?)
anyway, It would be great to meet someone who surfs and lives there (Lagos) and maybe do some rippin' together. It would be great to find someone with and extra board or if anybody knows where I can get one,  I might be asking for too much.
If anyone knows how to get to the beaches, where I can find a rare board and if anybody that lives there and surfs would be up to meeting me somehow and go for a surf send me an email or reply to my post!
chaka boys!
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by Horus(m): 10:23pm On Dec 22, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oXjsKjCcqM

Surfing growing in popularity at Lagos' Tarkwa Bay beach

Surfing is not really the first thing that comes to mind when Nigeria is mentioned, but recently the country's mega city, Lagos which sits alongside the Lagos lagoon is beginning to make waves as youth find new adventures in the water sport.
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by Horus(m): 10:25pm On Apr 02, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3psTgfw1xg

Nigerian youngsters at Lagos surf school

A Nigerian surf enthusiast is teaching youngsters how to catch waves at Lagos' Tarkwa Bay, igniting a passion for the sport
Re: Surfing in Nigeria by Horus(m): 11:21am On Apr 09, 2017
Surf in Lagos

Re: Surfing in Nigeria by Horus(m): 11:55am On May 02, 2017

(1) (2) (Reply)

Giovanni Trapattoni To Sign Two Year Contract With Nigeria / Who Is The Third Player After Messi And Ronaldo? / Gernot Rohr Dismisses Links To Ghana Coaching Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.