Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,649 members, 7,851,194 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 02:56 PM

Onaolapo Soleye Is Dead! Former Finance Minister Dies At 90 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onaolapo Soleye Is Dead! Former Finance Minister Dies At 90 (21557 Views)

Video Of Dr Onaolapo Soleye And Other Ministers Being Sworn-In In 1984 / Ernest Shonekan Is Dead. Former Interim National Government Leader Dies / Onaolapo Ademola, Ighoho Aide: DSS, Soldiers Brought 3 Herbalists, Killed 5 Cats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Onaolapo Soleye Is Dead! Former Finance Minister Dies At 90 by Praxis758: 12:09pm On Nov 17, 2023
naptu2:

She narrated the whole story in a TV interview. The interviewer said that Buhari recommended her for the job, but she interrupted and corrected him. She said that it was Obasanjo's friend, Dr Onaolapo Soleye that recommended her. Then she told the story.

She said that she was ill in 1997 and doctors recommended that she should go abroad for treatment. PTF (where she worked) sponsored the trip. I've forgotten how much they gave her, but it was in pounds sterling. For some reason, she didn't spend all the money (I think it had something to do with what the doctors discovered). She returned the balance to the PTF.

General Buhari, who was head of PTF, was shocked when she returned the money. He said that she could have taken the money and nobody would have known. He gave her a public commendation.

*********************************************************************************************************************

Dr Onaolapo Soleye called her one day and told her that President Obasanjo was looking for someone to revive NAFDAC and he had recommended her. He asked if she would be interested in the job. She was interested.

She didn't hear from him for a long time, then he called her one day and said that people were lobbying for the job and some people had told President Obasanjo that she wasn't a pharmacist. She exclaimed that she was a pharmacist and she told him about her degrees and experience. He told her to send her CV to him.

She didn't hear from him after that.

Then one day someone called her and said that he was Olusegun Obasanjo. She initially thought that it was a prank, but it was really him. He asked her if she would accept the job of NAFDAC DG and the rest is history.

Your narration settled the whole confusion in my heart. You have a well-worded narrative account.

Someone like you would be a good writer. Pls I urge you to work on writing because you’re gifted in that area.

And your memory of historical accounts are superb.

Thanks so much.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Buhari Has Not Disappointed Me" – Obasanjo Said 4 Months Ago On CNN / Gov. Yahya Bello Declares For Second Term, Gives Reasons / Comparison: Atiku, Tinubu, Obi Tell People From Their Own Regions Who To Vote

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.