Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,778 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:46 PM

Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. (19983 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? / Itching Of The Left Hand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. by Tinyemeka(m): 9:41pm On Nov 01, 2011
Some of us on this forum have said: what's the big deal in giving or receiving with the left hand considering the fact that we are in the 21st century and such things are not given much regard where they reside abroad.

When in Rome however, behave like the Romans. Abroad, things such as always using the right hand to give or receive; greeting one's elders (and I mean any elderly and not just your office superiors) as a mark of respect, etc are not even recognised because they are not part of their culture. You may want to say culture is so old school, but pls be reminded that in their place also, it is considered rude to leave your hat or sun-shades on, when entering a room; and ungentlemanly for a guy to fail to open the car door or pull back the chair at dinner-table for a lady. What am I saying? Even some "ajebota" ladies in Nigeria here make a fuss about it yet see nothing wrong in receiving with the left hand. Myopic double standard. That's what it is.

Please, it is wrong and against our culture to give or receive with the left hand. If constrained to do so, make effort to show that your right hand is supporting the left in doing so. Foreigners residing in Nigeria should also take note because I'm sure you'd also take an exception to see a stranger go against the norms and etiquettes in your homeland.

Our people have a saying which I'll render in English: When an abomination is continually committed, it'll eventually become tradition. Constant exposure to Western media has so accultured us to abandon our way of life and begin to adopt their's. Please there is nothing "cool" or intellectually superior in displaying that attitude. Embrace what is yours and promote it.

1 Like

Re: Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. by Natasha2(f): 12:09pm On Nov 02, 2011
^you've said it all cheesy
Re: Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. by Ymir: 1:00pm On Nov 04, 2015
Nigerians are funny. I'm a left handed person and I just attended to a customer in a shop and she flared up at me because I used my left hand to give her something. I wonder if the same thing applies to when an old person gives you something with his left hand. Or better yet,a soldier.
Re: Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. by Ymir: 1:02pm On Nov 04, 2015
What if a person has lost his or her right arm?
Re: Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. by Ymir: 1:06pm On Nov 04, 2015
Refugee1:
I had a funny experience last week when I went to the Abuja trade fair. I wanted to buy ticket at the entrance booth. I was holding a heavy load on my right hand and gave the attendant money with my left hand. He ignored me and was selling to people who came after me. I was dumbfounded. When the guy finally decided to attend to me, he said I was arrogant and warned me never to use my left hand in giving people things. I asked him if the left hand was cursed or if God was stupid to create it, to which he had no answers. He later apologized, collected the money from my left hand, gave me a ticket with his right hand and I collected with my left hand. It's all a matter of outlook in life. There are no ethics, codes or norms that says the left hand cannot be used to give or receive.

Exactly,it's the same God that created both hands.
Re: Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. by funmercy1(f): 10:29pm On Nov 04, 2015
I'm left handed, and my dad takes and receive (left-hand) so I'm nt disturb by Dat ooo, if u like take or leave it.
Re: Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. by femi4: 1:13pm On Nov 27, 2017
funmercy1:
I'm left handed, and my dad takes and receive (left-hand) so I'm nt disturb by Dat ooo, if u like take or leave it.
let's respect our tradition, its a good one to keep and its a sign of respect just like prostrating or kneeling to greet

(1) (2) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Accused Of Fraud (Full Report) / An Insight On The Gbagyi People: Real Owners Of Abuja / Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.