Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,866 members, 7,810,298 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? (16696 Views)

Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. / Igbo Kids Are The Most Respectful In Nigeria, What Do U Think? / Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Aphrodite4(f): 5:31pm On Jul 14, 2014
I've always wondered why this is and I know most Nigerians are right handed but isn't it a bit unfair to lefties? I know handshakes are a bit different but I've actually seen someone apologize for giving someone money with his left hand (his right hand was holding a car battery). Or my favorite - say your right hand is damp and you wanna give something to someone, you'd support what your left is giving with your right hand under it. Beht why? Lol

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 14, 2014
cos everytin seems to be right wt right hand.

9 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Aphrodite4(f): 5:51pm On Jul 14, 2014
ajibolabd: cos everytin seems to be right wt right hand.
Lol.. Nice..
Not enough though

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by fijiano202(m): 6:15pm On Jul 14, 2014
I believe this is more attributed to religion than reality cos in nigeria and the world itself culture and religion works hand in glove..Biblically the right hand is regarded as a sign of strength and honor and also sitting at the right hand side of someone means u are highly honoured..like the christains believes that Jesus sits at the right hand of God which makes him next to God,Although the bible never mentioned left handed people as lesser people but people still believe the right hand is more honored..left handed people are not much in the bible,the most popular left-handed person in the bible is Ehud Judges chapter 3 and also Judges 20:16...the bible refers to left hand as an advantage cos people with left hand are mostly warriors....the left means plenty things in diff language - in latin left means sinister which means evil ,in french left is gauche which means awkward...in Local /traditional belief Right hand is called hand of peace

42 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jul 14, 2014
fijiano202: I believe this is more attribute to religion than reality cos in nigeria and the world itself culture and religion works hand in glove..Biblically the right hand is regarded as a sign of strenght and honor and also sitting at the right hand side of someone means u are highly honoured..like the christains believes that Jesus sits at the right hand of God which makes him next to God,Although the bible never mentioned left handed people as lesser people but people still believe the right hand is more honored..left handed people are not much in the bible,the most popular left-handed person in the bible is Ehud Judges chapter 3 and also Judges 20:16...the bible refers to left hand as an advantage cos people with left hand are mostly warriors....the left means plenty things in diff language - in latin left means sinister which means evil ,in french left is gauche which means awkward...in Local /traditional belief Right hand is called hand of peace

A wonderful escatology and educating piece succinctly pen-down.

10 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Aphrodite4(f): 6:43pm On Jul 14, 2014
matify:

A wonderful escatology and educating piece succinctly pen-down.
I concur ;-)

2 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Yoney007(f): 7:52am On Jul 15, 2014
We are Africans....Receiving and giving with our right hands shows respect to the receipent irrespective of the age or level...It shows willfulness. I give and receive with my left hand also especially when my right hand is busy ATM (holding something, doing something), I offer apologies alongside to the giver or receiver in this case as a sign of respect too.

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by ultrazone(m): 7:53am On Jul 15, 2014
Giving or receiving things with the left hand is deemed rude. I think I boils down to our cultural disposition.

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by mifavour(f): 7:54am On Jul 15, 2014
..... Ftc
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Glock9(m): 7:54am On Jul 15, 2014
I guess it is a function of culture. In Africa, the right hand is more preferred than the left and I think it is catching on in the West, too.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Ptoocool(m): 7:54am On Jul 15, 2014
Ionno, so i'll rather keep shut..
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by blogexpert12(m): 7:55am On Jul 15, 2014
dnt really knw.

check us on www.supergists.com
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by dridowu: 7:56am On Jul 15, 2014
I don't a give a damn about lefty/righty, the most important thing to me is just use the clean hand to give me what i need.

5 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Yoney007(f): 7:56am On Jul 15, 2014
fijiano202: I believe this is more attributed to religion than reality cos in nigeria and the world itself culture and religion works hand in glove..Biblically the right hand is regarded as a sign of strength and honor and also sitting at the right hand side of someone means u are highly honoured..like the christains believes that Jesus sits at the right hand of God which makes him next to God,Although the bible never mentioned left handed people as lesser people but people still believe the right hand is more honored..left handed people are not much in the bible,the most popular left-handed person in the bible is Ehud Judges chapter 3 and also Judges 20:16...the bible refers to left hand as an advantage cos people with left hand are mostly warriors....the left means plenty things in diff language - in latin left means sinister which means evil ,in french left is gauche which means awkward...in Local /traditional belief Right hand is called hand of peace

You got points....Seconded!!!
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by smudge2079(m): 7:56am On Jul 15, 2014
Left hand is for wiping d ass, dont u dare give me dat.

5 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Ellidude(m): 7:57am On Jul 15, 2014
fijiano202: I believe this is more attributed to religion than reality cos in nigeria and the world itself culture and religion works hand in glove..Biblically the right hand is regarded as a sign of strength and honor and also sitting at the right hand side of someone means u are highly honoured..like the christains believes that Jesus sits at the right hand of God which makes him next to God,Although the bible never mentioned left handed people as lesser people but people still believe the right hand is more honored..left handed people are not much in the bible,the most popular left-handed person in the bible is Ehud Judges chapter 3 and also Judges 20:16...the bible refers to left hand as an advantage cos people with left hand are mostly warriors....the left means plenty things in diff language - in latin left means sinister which means evil ,in french left is gauche which means awkward...in Local /traditional belief Right hand is called hand of peace
This would do.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by danex67(m): 7:59am On Jul 15, 2014
Because culture and religion considers it respectful, which makes it ethically right.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by 9jvirgin(m): 8:00am On Jul 15, 2014
The right hand is more honorable, left hand is awkward. People have conditioned their minds to these beliefs.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by born2boink(m): 8:00am On Jul 15, 2014
Most everyone was born with useful right hand, the right one have master us all except you were born with useful left hand, if left handy guy dash u money, reject ham.....OP na M.U.M.U Question you ask and who bi the person wey send ham frontpage self?

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 15, 2014
smudge2079: Left hand is for wiping d ass, dont u dare give me dat.
grin grin
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Edwardhead(m): 8:02am On Jul 15, 2014
That's Culture for us... We should imbibe in it

Now lemme read the post
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by smudge2079(m): 8:02am On Jul 15, 2014
Jregz:
grin grin
Naso broda.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Funbii(m): 8:03am On Jul 15, 2014
fr I keep asking myself that, somehow I know and feel its wrong giving and receiving with my left hand, but I don't know why
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 15, 2014
Aphrodite4: I've always wondered why this is and I know most Nigerians are right handed but isn't it a bit unfair to lefties? I know handshakes are a bit different but I've actually seen someone apologize for giving someone money with his left hand (his right hand was holding a car battery). Or my favorite - say[b] your right hand is damp and you wanna give something to someone, you'd support what your left is giving with your right hand under it.[/b] Beht why? Lol
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Nobody: 8:07am On Jul 15, 2014
Aphrodite4: I've always wondered why this is and I know most Nigerians are right handed but isn't it a bit unfair to lefties? I know handshakes are a bit different but I've actually seen someone apologize for giving someone money with his left hand (his right hand was holding a car battery). Or my favorite - say your right hand is damp and you wanna give something to someone, you'd support what your left is giving with your right hand under it. Beht why? Lol

grin grin I do that a lot especially when eating swallow.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Afrocatalyst: 8:08am On Jul 15, 2014
I always wondered too. But I think it's a sign of respect.
Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Ruq: 8:09am On Jul 15, 2014
It's mainly religion, culture and superstitions, God gave us the hands he wouldn't care which you use.

2 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by Blockus: 8:10am On Jul 15, 2014
Cos Niggas is sensitive over nothing.

Same way I wonder why sex between consenting adults is a Sin, yet mimmicking canibalism isnt.

1 Like

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by decode55(m): 8:13am On Jul 15, 2014
why do you eat with your mouth & defecate with your anus? undecided

Why not the other way round?

"Westernization" has fried your brains. SMH

2 Likes

Re: Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? by dedons: 8:16am On Jul 15, 2014
Because I use my left hand to spank my dog grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can The Irunmoles Incarnate As Orishas? / Igogo Festival Shuts Down Akure City / Aina: A Yoruba Term Of EuroAsian Origin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.