Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,714 members, 7,824,025 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

Marrying a Picture? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marrying a Picture? (1411 Views)

7 Advantages Of Marrying A Man Who Can Cook! / 5 Disadvantages Of Marrying A Man Who Can Cook / Marrying A Guy That Is Short.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marrying a Picture? by creamkele(m): 10:43pm On Sep 14, 2007
What do u Nairalanders think about this young ladies of today, getting married to a picture or their fiance's brother in place of their so called husband to be, all in the name that their husbands are in overseas. I heard the Catholic church are planning on stoping such situations.
Re: Marrying a Picture? by spoilt(f): 9:12pm On Sep 16, 2007
i went to this wedding. It was the weirdest wedding ever! The guy was abroad so the younger brother stood in for him. He had this big old portrait of his brother hanging on his neck. It was definitely a first for me. But this was a traditional wedding. nigerians can do anything without boundaries. I didnt know that you can do that in church or in court.
Re: Marrying a Picture? by atutupoyo(f): 11:05pm On Sep 16, 2007
Thats really stupid, I pray they stop it If the guy or gal isn't around they should wait what is chasing them
Re: Marrying a Picture? by davidylan7(m): 6:32am On Sep 17, 2007
atutupoyo:

Thats really stupid, I pray they stop it If the guy or girl isn't around they should wait what is chasing them

Foreign visa
Re: Marrying a Picture? by efuah(f): 10:16am On Sep 17, 2007
wht's he doing that he cnt come down for the wedding if he really loves the lady n want her to be his wife lipsrsealed
Re: Marrying a Picture? by creamkele(m): 6:44pm On Sep 17, 2007
Thanks Nairalander, this girl lives on my block and she is young about 23 or 24 yrs old. My elder brother says she wants to use the guy for foreign visa, becos he won a visa lottery and has been in Yankee for 2 years now.
Well i dont know , but many people are against it but dont want to disturb here since its whats she wants and her mo agrees to it
Re: Marrying a Picture? by Seun(m): 6:50pm On Sep 17, 2007
My elder brother says she wants to use the guy for foreign visa,
Sorry to say this, but marriage is all about using what you have to get what you want.
If you're a man, you use your money to get a cook, house manager, and a baby-machine.
If you're a woman, you use your bottom power and beauty to get a living ATM machine!

So even if the 'love' she has for the guy is 'genuine', the foreign visa will still be part of the attraction. wink
Re: Marrying a Picture? by blacklion(m): 5:25pm On Feb 27, 2008
there are so many reasons why this may happen. the groom or both groom and bride may not have their papers in place is the most common reason

my coz and his wife could not make it to their native law and custom marriage from europe cos their papers were not yet in order. they were represnted by their younger brother and sister

na condition make crayfish bend grin
Re: Marrying a Picture? by blacklion(m): 5:27pm On Feb 27, 2008
nairalanders sef!

una bed belle three mush!!!
Re: Marrying a Picture? by larekey(m): 5:48pm On Feb 27, 2008
i've actually witnessed a situation like this b4 it was very wierd b'cos they continued calling d guys name and i was looking back to see if he just walked into d house from yankee
Re: Marrying a Picture? by banni: 5:59pm On Feb 27, 2008
creamkele:

What do u Nairalanders think about this young ladies of today, getting married to a picture or their fiance's brother in place of their so called husband to be, all in the name that their husbands are in overseas. I heard the Catholic church are planning on stoping such situations.

I never heard of a church wedding that permits this in Nigeria though we have all sort of churches nowadays grin

Usually this is done in introduction and traditional weddings.While its not ideal I cannot see the harm if its impossible for the other person to be there.

You still need to be there for the registry or church wedding unless you are going to decieve the one doing the ceremony.

It can be a case that one person has no visa to return and is stuck abroad and the other can travel freely.So it makes sense to get the part that needs Nigeria - intro and traditional without one and do the church/registry abroad.

I think before we rush and judge them you should know the reason behind it.I have been to at least 2 traditional weddings this happened and I really did not think it a big deal considering the alternatives.If one person can not come for a few years back ,it would mean they will get married in church there and have children and not have done something which is important to our culture the traditional and might even have family look at them like not married in their eyes!
Re: Marrying a Picture? by amaks: 8:07pm On Feb 27, 2008
WHAT!!!!!
incridible!weird!! unimmaginable!
this is d first time im hearin of such! u mean such things do really happen!!!
ah ah! what kind of shit is dat? pls pple should put an end to such things.
marriage should pls b respected.
Re: Marrying a Picture? by amaks: 8:19pm On Feb 27, 2008
WHAT!!!!!
incridible!weird!! unimmaginable!
this is d first time im hearin of such! u mean such things do really happen!!!
ah ah! what kind of shit is dat? pls pple should put an end to such things.
marriage should pls b respected.
Re: Marrying a Picture? by adeboo(f): 8:52pm On Feb 27, 2008
Like its been said, the one main reason could be that there are people who dont have their travel documents in place yet.
Nowadays, the countries where the couples are based sometimes require them to be married in their home countries.
Then there is a case of security - i know a few people that have opted out of getting married in Nigeria because of security and safety reasons.

Those are the reasons i know of.
Re: Marrying a Picture? by DisGuy: 3:47am On Feb 28, 2008
blacklion:

there are so many reasons why this may happen. the groom or both groom and bride may not have their papers in place is the most common reason

my because and his wife could not make it to their native law and custom marriage from europe because their papers were not yet in order. they were represnted by their younger brother and sister

na condition make crayfish bend grin

OMG you killed it!! this one no be marriage again na! these ones are just marrying themselves o! grin
Re: Marrying a Picture? by queenesthr(f): 3:29pm On Dec 10, 2009
It does happen.
In some cases, the couple may not have seen face to face for the first time.
The guy abroad just sends his picture and his family shows it to the girl they intend to marry. If she accepts, they go ahead and perform the marriage rites in their son's absence.

But you'll be surprised that the marriage still lasts.
Re: Marrying a Picture? by spikedcylinder: 4:10pm On Dec 10, 2009
It'll be embarrassing enough going through a wedding ceremony with a normal human by my side in front of hundreds of people. Can never do it with a picture or a statue or whatever the hell is the ish.
Re: Marrying a Picture? by yme1(f): 4:13pm On Dec 10, 2009
ewwwwwwww that is stupidity in the highest level undecided
Re: Marrying a Picture? by agathamari(f): 4:24pm On Dec 10, 2009
very old practice and was in the begining only done when your soon to be spouce was away in the military. ususlay now in the west (though rare) it is done for the same reason but special permition for such marriages has to be given by the church and often the government
Re: Marrying a Picture? by davidif: 5:40pm On Dec 10, 2009
hillarious.
Re: Marrying a Picture? by OAM4J: 5:58pm On Dec 10, 2009
Very funny
Re: Marrying a Picture? by Fhemmmy: 7:09pm On Dec 10, 2009
Hahahahahaha
Will the brother get to have fun with the wife too, at stand in for him in the bedroom as well
Re: Marrying a Picture? by Aniody: 1:21pm On Dec 11, 2009
very stupid way of wedding someone, the man does not have regard for the woman, well i don see am hapen, the girl still dey Naija wating for the stupid man now for like 7yrs, no child no husband
Re: Marrying a Picture? by klassyguy(m): 4:54pm On Dec 11, 2009
spoilt:

i went to this wedding. It was the weirdest wedding ever! The guy was abroad so the younger brother stood in for him. He had this big old portrait of his brother hanging on his neck. It was definitely a first for me. But this was a traditional wedding. nigerians can do anything without boundaries. I didnt know that you can do that in church or in court.

The one i went to in eruwa one day, the two weren't even there. one was in US, the other in UK. their protraits were carried by one guy and the lady's by her sister. it was soooooo dead weird.
Re: Marrying a Picture? by Fhemmmy: 5:08pm On Dec 11, 2009
klassyguy:

The one i went to in eruwa one day, the two weren't even there. one was in US, the other in UK. their protraits were carried by one guy and the lady's by her sister. it was soooooo dead weird.

I wonder what they wld have done if the father is in spain and the mother in ghana?

(1) (Reply)

Unbelievable But True - Chinese Father Keeps His Little Boy In Chains / The Latest Family Section Member. / Should I Tell Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.