Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,790 members, 7,831,554 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

Can AI Write History As It Actually Happens?…… - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can AI Write History As It Actually Happens?…… (136 Views)

Don Davis' Mum: If Anything Happens To My Children, I'll Hold Kumuyi Responsible / Nigeria Orders Teaching Of History As Standalone Subject / Scientist Deliberately Crashed This Aeroplane To Learn What Happens During Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Can AI Write History As It Actually Happens?…… by operotimi: 6:21pm On Dec 02, 2023
Introduction:

History, according to E.H. Carr, is an unending dialogue between the past and the present. Can AI truly dialogue the past and the present together in a proper narrative? I doubt it. In historical narration today, we question whether AI possesses the prowess to document history as it unfolds. While the prospect of Artificial Intelligence seems promising, understanding the inherent challenges sheds light on why AI may struggle to craft a comprehensive historical narrative.

What AI can do:

AI, with its analytical capabilities and vast data processing capacity, can be of immense help to historians. Its ability to sift through vast archives and generate answers based on patterns offers a unique advantage to historians in deep search of information on what has been written and published online, unbeknown to them. But can AI write about history that has not been written before? No. Can AI write a biography of your father? No. Can AI write about the socio-economic and political institutions in your hometown? No. Can AI write about that local market in your hometown? No. If nobody has written about it, AI knows nothing about it. AI lacks the power to provide a nuanced portrayal of historical occurrences as they actually happen.

How does AI work?

AI works by processing vast amounts of data and learning patterns to make predictions or generate outputs. While AI can generate text based on learned patterns, it will struggle with historical writing because it lacks a deep understanding of context and the evolving nature of historical events. Historical writing often requires interpretation and understanding of human experiences, which AI finds challenging due to its reliance on statistical patterns rather than true comprehension. Artificial intelligence (AI), based on its nature, when faced with a paucity of data to scrape online, begins to speculate and assume. Historians don't assume and speculate; Arthur Marwick noted in his work "Nature of History" that history is evidence-based, not speculation. Marwick outlined that the main activity of the historian is the interpretation of primary and secondary evidence before him. The fact is, Gen-Z historians fail to acknowledge that AI is a product of human intelligence and hence works hand in hand with human intelligence. With human intelligence, AI will be in a state of tabula rasa.

The Pitfalls of AI in Historical Writing:

AI lacks the human touch, the empathy required to comprehend emotions and cultural intricacies that shape history. History is not just a sequence of events; it is human experiences, perspectives, and activities — elements that sincerely elude the grasp of even the most advanced AI.

A Note to Gen-Z Historians:
As aspiring historians, Gen-Z stands at the crossroads of tradition and innovation. I once overheard an ignorant 3rd-year history student saying, "I don't need to stress myself with this assignment; AI will do it for me." The fact is AI will do it for you because it has been done before. But how does AI do it for you when it has never been done before? Oh, I remember; it will still do it for you, but this time around, it speculates and assumes. On a good note, embracing AI as a tool rather than a replacement allows for a harmonious collaboration between human insight and technological efficiency.

Conclusions

In the quest for a comprehensive historical record, the interplay between human historians and AI emerges as a dynamic force. The essence of history lies in human experiences, and it is imperative for Gen-Z historians to navigate this synergy judiciously.

Re: Can AI Write History As It Actually Happens?…… by operotimi: 12:53pm On Dec 03, 2023
H

(1) (Reply)

How To Pass Computer Studies In WASSCE / Graham's Law Made Easy / SCHOLARSHIPS & GRANTS 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.