Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,292 members, 7,829,666 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

My First Snow Experience In The UK �� - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My First Snow Experience In The UK �� (34289 Views)

My First Snow Experience In Finland — Frozen Cold Temperature (photos, Video) / Fantastic: My First Snow Experience In Europe 2020 (photos, Video) / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by descarado: 7:24am On Dec 06, 2023
Chassy03:
Spit on you and your family for disgracing us.
Or rather, spite on you for being so insecure.

The problem with feeling insecure is that fat bank account does not make it go away. The more money you have, the more insecure you are.
And most people do not know they have insecurity issues.
Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by Fujiyama: 7:40am On Dec 06, 2023
Magnoliaa:
And this, this leads me to the fact of etiquette being culture-specific! What is 'professional?' Why should Africans be in clothing that is deemed professional by Western standards, but doesn't suit our skin/biological makeup?

^^^
I agree 100%. I forgot to put the word 'professionalism' in quotation marks in my post.

I would hope the public wouldn't think less of a bank worker if he's garbed in a simple shirt and pair of trousers...or 'up and down' in any of our locally available fabrics. A bank (or whatever organization) could set its own styling codes (general or specific) for uniformity in staff dressing but the use of local fabrics/textiles to make simple, light clothing would be a giant leap forward. Sadly, I'm not sure we are quite ready as a people to have that conversation yet.

Magnoliaa:
There is nothing wrong with afro, too. Packing one's hair in its natural state, and styled/beautified is already "made." There are some wigs that our women wear too, that it just looks off. Way off. Because it doesn't go well with our complexion and bone structure, but because that is what is deemed 'standard', many give into the culture without even questioning why.

^^^
Very, very true.

The problem is that there's really big money in the artificial hair industry...as well as the hair cosmetics industry. Its very big business selling blonde wigs and harmful chemical relaxers to women of colour...it is a multi million (perhaps billion?) industry (in any currency of your choice) and so the stakes are very high. The hair texture/structure of black Africans is different from that of all the other races. It is not a coincidence that the 'standard' of hair beauty is highly Eurocentric - those who profit from the capture of our minds will definitely not loosen their chokehold without a huge fight. Anyway, what do I know? I think I'll stop here...before someone on here asks me directly: "what do you know about hair? You're a bald man with a scraggy beard so how can you possibly have anything to say about women's hair?" grin

Magnoliaa:
One reason for this may be capitalism, in my opinion. At the risk of reducing it to a simplistic concept, I believe the value it place on tangible, physical things has made any other roles that doesn't fall within the purview of 'corporate work' to be demeaned. Sexism is also another. And of course, postmodern individualism.

^^^
This is very true.

Magnoliaa:
House care is not seen as a 'real job,' and it is also divorced from the formal 'society': any woman that is a stay-at-home home is automatically believed to have chosen that role for herself. So if it is a personal choice, then what reason does the government have to look into the structural factors that made that so? Why do housewives need to be protected? Why do they need to be remunerated or compensated?

^^^
And there lies the problem.

There is a net gain to society from the homebuilding work done by housewives. If a housewife raises her children well (or at least starts the job of doing so properly in those critical early years) then society as a whole gains from having stable, balanced, well adjusted children who are set to give something to society as they grow...and not just take from it. The problem is that this homebuilding work isn't monetized. But it should be.

My take on this is that a housewife should be remunerated because there is a significant social benefit from her unpaid, unremunerated work. Why do I say this? Society covers all sorts of costs resulting from private behaviour. Society covers the cost of housing criminals. In some countries, society covers the cost of rehabilitation of drug addicts (even if these addicts made the voluntary choice to use drugs). In some countries, society covers the cost of a public defender for those accused of criminal wrongdoing. And so on. Now...if society can cover the costs of these examples of anti-social behaviour - then it is only fair that society should reward housewives who provide a social benefit through their homebuilding work. Interestingly, some Scandinavian countries have actual government policies built around this concept of homebuilder remuneration.

I'm no expert on the subject matter so its entirely possible someone will soon come on here and say I've poured out a load of nonsense but I'm open to anyone who has something else to say.

The OP probably feels I'm derailing his thread. grin I'm actually doing him a favour with this side discussion because it should be clear to him now that his country has many angry people - people with absolutely no joy. cheesy The man saw snow for the first time and was filled with joy...and that made some of his country people furious. grin The OP's story brings to mind the experience a few years ago of some Russians who came visiting friends in Nigeria. They stood outside in the searing heat and kept pointing at anything and everything in wonder - to the amusement of their hosts. The OP still has something he should try not to lose: a sense of wonder at new things that he's not afraid to express.

2 Likes

Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by BalogunIdowu(m): 10:23am On Dec 06, 2023
Offpointng:
Y'all matured just go abroad and act like Kids and jungle folks at the sight of snow and those dem oyinbos go jux dey look una shake head. what happens to gathering all the family together, watching from the window inside or licking the ones that fall by ur window turn by turn if u so wish

Very poor if you'd ask me sad

You think the white don't come out to enjoy snow something and have fun in it...

Una go just dey yarn anything

1 Like

Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by simplyOJ(m): 10:37am On Dec 06, 2023
Offpointng:

That's exactly what we're talking bout. mumu what's Congratulations bout travelling out?? mai una stop dey disgrace unaself sad
I tell you. Very annoying.
Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by Gentlesoul2021(m): 11:34am On Dec 06, 2023
Offpointng:
Y'all matured just go abroad and act like Kids and jungle folks at the sight of snow and those dem oyinbos go jux dey look una shake head. what happens to gathering all the family together, watching from the window inside or licking the ones that fall by ur window turn by turn if u so wish

Very poor if you'd ask me sad

I'll be off internet for 2years or more if I'm opportuned to japa. I'd just live a coded lifestyle. I see many folks displaying their migration mysteries on X (twitter) which is totally unnecessary....

1 Like

Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by Offpointng: 12:33pm On Dec 06, 2023
Gentlesoul2021:

I'll be off internet for 2years or more if I'm opportuned to japa. I'd just live a coded lifestyle. I see many folks displaying their migration mysteries on X (twitter) which is totally unnecessary....

Totally totally unnecessary. well the update atm right now is that they've caused problems for Nigerians that intend going over to the UK
Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by Gentlesoul2021(m): 1:17pm On Dec 06, 2023
Offpointng:

Totally totally unnecessary. well the update atm right now is that they've caused problems for Nigerians that intend going over to the UK

That's sad
Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by benzion72(m): 9:02pm On Dec 06, 2023
ffo:

how many oyinbos have you met that "detest" winter for you to conclude that he is an ignoramus because he is excited about snow experience. you are suffering from inferiority complex.

I see go and ask why white American prefer Florida and California

Also find out why California and Florida are the most populous state in America
Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by Chassy03: 11:50pm On Dec 06, 2023
Bro I did not know him, but why will he be happy just because he's seeing snow?
GambaOsaka:

Is he responsible for your frustrations? You know am before?
Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by Magnoliaa(f): 9:07am On Dec 07, 2023
Fujiyama:
The problem is that there's really big money in the artificial hair industry...as well as the hair cosmetics industry. Its very big business selling blonde wigs and harmful chemical relaxers to women of colour...it is a multi million (perhaps billion?) industry (in any currency of your choice) and so the stakes are very high. The hair texture/structure of black Africans is different from that of all the other races. It is not a coincidence that the 'standard' of hair beauty is highly Eurocentric - those who profit from the capture of our minds will definitely not loosen their chokehold without a huge fight. Anyway, what do I know? I think I'll stop here...before someone on here asks me directly: "what do you know about hair? You're a bald man with a scraggly beard so how can you possibly have anything to say about women's hair?" grin

This is quite visual. grin grin

There is a net gain to society from the homebuilding work done by housewives. If a housewife raises her children well (or at least starts the job of doing so properly in those critical early years) then society as a whole gains from having stable, balanced well adjusted children who are set to give something to society as they grow...and not just take from it. The problem is that this homebuilding work isn't monetized. But it should be.

I do not think it should be monetized, though. Not like in a direct, formal, structured and rigid way. My alternative suggestion would be the conscious, collective responsibility of a couple in building the home and raising the children. Or an other arrangement of gender roles they prefer. I don't remember the celebrity who did so- for like the first few years of their marriage, the wife stayed at home and raised the kids. After a number of years, they switched and now the husband is staying home and opening the wife up ro developing herself, career and all. I think it's one of the Hemsworth brothers. But for a woman to do this one, it has to be with a VERY sensible man.

My take on this is that a housewife should be remunerated because there is a significant social benefit from her unpaid, unremunerated work. Why do I say this? Society covers all sorts of costs resulting from private behaviour. Society covers the cost of housing criminals. In some countries, society covers the cost of rehabilitation of drug addicts (even if these addicts made the voluntary choice to use drugs). In some countries, society covers the cost of a public defender for those accused of criminal wrongdoing. And so on. Now...if society can cover the costs of these examples of anti-social behaviour - then it is only fair that society should reward housewives who provide a social benefit through their homebuilding work.

Okay, I responded before seeing this but I'm blown! I have never ever considered it from this perspective before. 😂😂

But, but... should we stretch this then to say that every other relational positions in people's lives should be remunerated? Every other position that provides intangible benefits? Best friend, lover, father, aunt, godparents, pastors who truly serve as guides and great spiritual influence? Or do you think the role of a wife is in a different category of relationship as compared to any other?

Interestingly, some Scandinavian countries have actual government policies built around this concept of homebuilder remuneration.

Ohhhh. This is so cool! Really. I am definitely reading up more on it. Like, are you for real? In some part, though, I find this believable, because I know countries like that are more feminist, even right from the past, than most.

Wow. Good looking out to their governments! I'm impressed.

I'm no expert on the subject matter so its entirely possible someone will soon come on here and say I've poured out a load of nonsense but I'm open to anyone who has something else to say.

The OP probably feels I'm derailing his thread. grin I'm actually doing him a favour with this side discussion because it should be clear to him now that his country has many angry people - people with absolutely no joy. cheesy The man saw snow for the first time and was filled with joy...and that made some of his country people furious. grin The OP's story brings to mind the experience a few years ago of some Russians who came visiting friends in Nigeria. They stood outside in the searing heat and kept pointing at anything and everything in wonder - to the amusement of their hosts. The OP still has something he should try not to lose: a sense of wonder at new things that he's not afraid to express.

Are you minding those ones? People that are mentally crippled with low self-esteem.

It will not be surprising that they are the same set of people that'll be fawning over white people, and when they eat our food and try our dressing. They won't see that as backwards.

People that can come here and marvel at our festivals and city life culture, but we should not be excited about seeing snow for the first time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by Magnoliaa(f): 9:10am On Dec 07, 2023
id.om.yt.in:
One amongst the many people why UK government increased skilled worker salary to come in or renewal your worker visa so.. only you three kids..
Come here dey mumu yourself.
42yrs+ old man, you are a mumu man!
Your neighbours now go come generalized ALL black as same as you now. Even you and your wife dey spell mumu.. well I happy for your children,because for you, you are beyond repair mumu. Snow when nor move me 3years ago ( person when never see snow b4 ooo the only country I go na Dubai and Ghana). You come here dey disgrace your family when we still dey Autumn.
Mumu

There's no hate like men's hatred for one another, mehn.

Smh.
Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by JuanWilmore: 3:30pm On Dec 07, 2023
Absolutely enchanting! Your vivid descriptions painted a beautiful picture of your first snow experience in the UK. It's fascinating how a weather event can transform the landscape and create such a magical atmosphere. Your personal touch and attention to detail made me feel like I was right there with you, experiencing the wonder of those delicate snowflakes. Thank you for sharing this delightful travel tale!

1 Like

Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by Fujiyama: 5:37pm On Dec 07, 2023
Magnoliaa:
Okay, I responded before seeing this but I'm blown! I have never ever considered it from this perspective before. 😂😂

^^^
wink

I would like to say its my idea but it isn't. Its been around for a long, long time. There's quite a bit of research work that's been done on it.

Magnoliaa:
But, but... should we stretch this then to say that every other relational positions in people's lives should be remunerated? Every other position that provides intangible benefits? Best friend, lover, father, aunt, godparents, pastors who truly serve as guides and great spiritual influence? Or do you think the role of a wife is in a different category of relationship as compared to any other?

^^^
You have asked some tough questions. I hadn't considered this before. One part of me says that for balance and fairness, all these other relationships you listed should also be rewarded. Another part of me says it simply isn't realistic or practical to do so. Where would it end? cheesy

I guess for most people the role of housewife/mother/homebuilder will remain far above all those other relational positions you listed - because wife/mother/homebuilder plays that exclusive rule of childbearing and nurturing the next generation. And...governments are interested in children (and who raises them) because today's children are tomorrow's workers and taxpayers. For all these reasons, there's a high value placed on the housewife/homebuilder role in forward thinking countries (even if the role is unpaid in most countries for now). I also can't imagine any mother/homebuilder would complain about a high ranking relative to other positions. cheesy As for 'pastors'...I feel that a lot of them (in Nigeria at least) have been adequately remunerated by their congregations a thousand million times over in one lifetime, but let's open that can of worms some other day.

Magnoliaa:

Ohhhh. This is so cool! Really. I am definitely reading up more on it. Like, are you for real? In some part, though, I find this believable, because I know countries like that are more feminist, even right from the past, than most.

^^^
Norway, Finland, Sweden, Germany etc. have all had child care allowances or subsidies in some shape or form for quite a while now. You can take a look at the links below if you haven't already done so:

https://www.nav.no/kontantstotte/en
https://www.norden.org/en/info-norden/parental-benefits-finland
https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=1109&intPageId=4516&langId=en

In the socially liberal tradition of these countries, some of the allowances and subsidies are actually gender neutral - mothers or fathers can apply.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by ffo(m): 6:51pm On Dec 07, 2023
benzion72:

I see go and ask why white American prefer Florida and California

Also find out why California and Florida are the most populous state in America

you still did not answer my question.
Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by ffo(m): 7:16pm On Dec 07, 2023
Chassy03:
Spit on you and your family for disgracing us.
@Chassy03 , @benzion72, @Offpointng, @idomytin, @Rahkman, @VeryWickedGoat et all

All these wannabees who have never set their feet outside the shores of Nigeria and are suffering from inferiority complex always insulting the OP just because he is an African.

I have seen lots (i mean lots) of whites who are looking forward to having the first snow experience, i have also seen whites who travel to the North during winter just to have snow experience, i have seen pictures and videos of adult whites who are playing in the snow, but just because the OP is a black man, y'all have issues with him and making derogatory statement about his experience. Y'all are obviously envious of him and his family but because you are feeling insecure and inferior y'all wont admit that.

Do y'all also know that there is now a new trend among white families adopting blacks because they like our skin and us. but these stupid wannabees who knows NOTHING will always feel inferior and insecure.

1 Like

Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by ffo(m): 8:16pm On Dec 07, 2023
Realiskit:
. You're wrong. Nothing is wrong in sharing their first experience with snow. Besides here in Germany and many European countries , the natives still take out their children to play during snow falls.
So don't be hard on them, it is just normal thing during the winter season.
dont mind the wannabee fool, its obvious he hasnt been to the airport before.

1 Like

Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by Chassy03: 9:12pm On Dec 08, 2023
Keyboard warrior
ffo:

@Chassy03 , @benzion72, @Offpointng, @idomytin, @Rahkman, @VeryWickedGoat et all

All these wannabees who have never set their feet outside the shores of Nigeria and are suffering from inferiority complex always insulting the OP just because he is an African.

I have seen lots (i mean lots) of whites who are looking forward to having the first snow experience, i have also seen whites who travel to the North during winter just to have snow experience, i have seen pictures and videos of adult whites who are playing in the snow, but just because the OP is a black man, y'all have issues with him and making derogatory statement about his experience. Y'all are obviously envious of him and his family but because you are feeling insecure and inferior y'all wont admit that.

Do y'all also know that there is now a new trend among white families adopting blacks because they like our skin and us. but these stupid wannabees who knows NOTHING will always feel inferior and insecure.

1 Like

Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by Magnoliaa(f): 5:21pm On Dec 09, 2023
Fujiyama:
Norway, Finland, Sweden, Germany etc. have all had child care allowances or subsidies in some shape or form for quite a while now. You can take a look at the links below if you haven't already done so:

https://www.nav.no/kontantstotte/en
https://www.norden.org/en/info-norden/parental-benefits-finland
https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=1109&intPageId=4516&langId=en

In the socially liberal tradition of these countries, some of the allowances and subsidies are actually gender neutral - mothers or fathers can apply.

Enjoy.

Oh my God. embarassed

I'm so sorry for the late response.

It kept skipping my mind, and trolls are not even letting me see road inside my mentions.

I appreciate your contributions a lot, and picked some things. cheesy

I'll definitely check out the links. I am sure the men's rights activists have no knowledge of such systems whenever they're on a crusade against feminists, lol.

Thank you for sharing them. Have a great day. 💛
Re: My First Snow Experience In The UK �� by Fujiyama: 9:59pm On Dec 09, 2023
Magnoliaa:
Oh my God. embarassed

I'm so sorry for the late response.

It kept skipping my mind, and trolls are not even letting me see road inside my mentions.

I appreciate your contributions a lot, and picked some things. cheesy

I'll definitely check out the links. I am sure the men's rights activists have no knowledge of such systems whenever they're on a crusade against feminists, lol.

Thank you for sharing them. Have a great day. 💛

^^^
No problem at all. I learnt a lot from the questions you asked. Questions like those keep me on my toes and force me to give accurate responses.

wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Airforce Helicopter Crash Lands In Enugu State / Bus Catches Fire On Motion In Osogbo, Burns Completely As Eyewitnesses Sob / Police Officers Involved In Accident In Ebonyi, Rescued By Civilians (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.