Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,334 members, 7,811,975 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT (17879 Views)

2023 Elections: Google Launches Nigeria Elections Trends Hub / CELLCORE Launches AI Solution To Enhance Online-gaming Experience In Nigeria / Google Launches Three New Photography Apps.techtips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by TemplarLandry: 9:30pm On Dec 06, 2023
Google took its next leap in artificial intelligence Wednesday with the launch of project Gemini, an AI modelĀ trained to behaveĀ in human-like ways thatā€™s likely to intensify the debate about the technologyā€™s potential promise and perils.

The rollout will unfold in phases, with less sophisticated versions of Gemini called ā€œNanoā€ and ā€œProā€ being immediately incorporated into Googleā€™s AI-poweredĀ chatbot BardĀ and its Pixel 8 Pro smartphone.

With Gemini providing a helping hand, Google promises Bard will become more intuitive and better at tasks that involve planning. On the Pixel 8 Pro, Gemini will be able to quickly summarize recordings made on the device and provide automatic replies on messaging services, starting with WhatsApp, according to Google.

Geminiā€™s biggest advances wonā€™t come until early next year when its Ultra model will be used to launch ā€œBard Advanced,ā€ a juiced-up version of the chatbot that initially will only be offered to a test audience.

The AI, at first, will only work in English throughout the world, although Google executives assured reporters during a briefing that the technology will have no problem eventually diversifying into other languages.

Based on a demonstration of Gemini for a group of reporters, Googleā€™s ā€œBard Advancedā€ might be capable of unprecedented AI multitasking by simultaneously recognizing and understanding presentations involving text, photos and video.

Gemini will also eventually be infused into Googleā€™s dominant search engine, although the timing of that transition hasnā€™t been spelled out yet.

ā€œThis is a significant milestone in the development of AI, and the start of a new era for us at Google,ā€Ā declared Demis Hassabis, CEO of Google DeepMind, the AI division behind Gemini. Google prevailed over other bidders, including Facebook parent Meta, to acquire London-based DeepMind nearly a decade ago, and since melded it with its ā€œBrainā€ division to focus on Geminiā€™s development.

The technologyā€™s problem-solving skills are being touted by Google as being especially adept in math and physics, fueling hopes among AI optimists that it may lead to scientific breakthroughs that improve life for humans.

But an opposing side of the AI debate worries about the technology eventually eclipsing human intelligence, resulting in the loss of millions of jobs and perhaps even more destructive behavior, such as amplifying misinformation or triggering the deployment of nuclear weapons.

ā€œWeā€™re approaching this work boldly and responsibly,ā€ Google CEO Sundar PichaiĀ wrote in a blog post. ā€œThat means being ambitious in our research and pursuing the capabilities that will bring enormous benefits to people and society, while building in safeguards and working collaboratively with governments and experts to address risks as AI becomes more capable.ā€

Geminiā€™s arrival is likely to up the ante in anĀ AI competitionĀ that has been escalating for the past year, with San Francisco startup OpenAI and long-time industry rival Microsoft.

Backed Ā by Microsoftā€™s financial muscle and computing power, OpenAI was already deep into developing its most advanced AI model, GPT-4, when it released the free ChatGPT tool late last year. That AI-fueled chatbot rocketed to global fame, bringing buzz to the commercial promise of generative AI and pressuring Google to push out Bard in response.

Just as Bard was arriving on the scene,Ā OpenAI released GPT-4 in MarchĀ and has since been building in new capabilities aimed at consumers and business customers, including a feature unveiled in November that enables the chatbot to analyze images. Itā€™s been competing for business against other rival AI startups such as Anthropic and even its partner, Microsoft, which has exclusive rights to OpenAIā€™s technology in exchange for the billions of dollars that it has poured into the startup.

The alliance so far has been a boon for Microsoft, which has seen its market value climb by more than 50% so far this year, primarily because of investorsā€™ belief that AI will turn into a gold mine for the tech industry. Googleā€™s corporate parent, Alphabet, also has been riding the same wave with its market value rising more than $500 billion, or about 45%, so far this year. Despite the anticipation surrounding Gemini in recent months, its launch barely budged Alphabetā€™s stock in Wednesdayā€™s morning trading.

Microsoftā€™s deepening involvement in OpenAI during the past year, coupled with OpenAIā€™s more aggressive attempts to commercialize its products, has raised concerns that the non-profit has strayed from its original mission to protect humanity as the technology progresses.

Those worries were magnified last month whenĀ OpenAIā€™s board abruptly firedĀ CEO Sam Altman in a dispute revolving around undisclosed issues of trust. After backlash that threatened to destroy the company and result in a mass exodus of AI engineering talent to Microsoft,Ā OpenAI brought Altman back as CEOĀ and reshuffled its board

With Ā Gemini coming out, OpenAI may find itself trying to prove its technology remains smarter than Googleā€™s.

ā€œI am in awe of what itā€™s capable of,ā€ Google DeepMind vice president of product Eli Collins said of Gemini.

In a virtual press conference, Google declined to share Geminiā€™s parameter count ā€” one but not the only measure of a modelā€™s complexity. AĀ white paperĀ released Wednesday outlined the most capable version of Gemini outperforming GPT-4 on multiple-choice exams, grade-school math and other benchmarks, but acknowledged ongoing struggles in getting AI models to achieve higher-level reasoning skills.

Some computer scientists see limits in how much can be done with large language models, which work by repeatedly predicting the next word in a sentence and are prone to making up errors known as hallucinations.

ā€œWe made a ton of progress in whatā€™s called factuality with Gemini. So Gemini is our best model in that regard. But itā€™s still, I would say, an unsolved research problem,ā€ Collins said.

Source: https://apnews.com/article/google-gemini-artificial-intelligence-launch-95d05d02051e75e20b574614ae720b8b

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by TemplarLandry: 9:31pm On Dec 06, 2023
Google is making moves.
I like this.

I dedicate ā€œI Like Datā€ by T-Pain feat. Kehlani to Google.
Great jam!

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by malcom1X: 9:39pm On Dec 06, 2023
Gemini

4 Likes

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by Evyrose: 9:42pm On Dec 06, 2023
Nice one

2 Likes

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by JASONjnr(m): 9:43pm On Dec 06, 2023
The earlier Launch of Gemini was a flop..... How will that beat ChatGPT?

Google should rest abeg!

They will now force that nonsense AI to all its android devices..... Like the useless Google assistance.

PS712:

Still Bard gives real-time authentic information than generic ChatGPT, although the later has stepped up, especially on its paid version ChatGPT plus.

Except your prompt entry is sketchy.

Promting enables the AI to source for real-time authentication and response.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by jowhyte(m): 10:01pm On Dec 06, 2023
For me ChatGPT still beats Google Bard so far for now.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by Petersamuel8(m): 10:02pm On Dec 06, 2023
I thought Bard was there response
Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by Personal1: 10:02pm On Dec 06, 2023
Nothing beats innovation
Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by dfrost: 10:02pm On Dec 06, 2023
Hmm...

Battle of the AIs. OpenAI still teaching the others a lesson in first-mover advantage. Twice Google has created two AI models - Bard and now Gemini.

20 Likes

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by finallybusy: 10:02pm On Dec 06, 2023
Too long, I didnā€™t read. Children on Nairaland who will fail JAMB once again next year will come to criticize Google. Una lives na comedy.

1 Like

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by ScamDemicEra: 10:03pm On Dec 06, 2023
... people using this are actually helping to polish and oil the gun they'll be shot with !!!!!

May OLODUMARE hasten the expiry date.

2 Likes

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by PS712: 10:04pm On Dec 06, 2023
JASONjnr:
The earlier Launch of Gemini was a flop..... How will that beat ChatGPT?

Google should rest abeg!

They will now force that nonsense AI to all its android devices..... Like the useless Google assistance.
Still Bard gives real-time authentic information than generic ChatGPT, although the later has stepped up, especially on its paid version ChatGPT plus.

8 Likes

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by chris4gold(m): 10:04pm On Dec 06, 2023
Good šŸ‘ initiative
Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by adexllyz: 10:04pm On Dec 06, 2023
Bard, germini,ChatGPT are all the same undecided

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by inoki247: 10:05pm On Dec 06, 2023
Lol hope dey don't get sued for copyright is a Cryptoo company not bearing Gemini already...
Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by brainhgeek(m): 10:08pm On Dec 06, 2023
Bard nko?
Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by ncoolsome(m): 10:14pm On Dec 06, 2023
When would African arise...we still struggling to produce power and backward school curriculum

1 Like

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by Namaster: 10:15pm On Dec 06, 2023
Capitalist institutions should NOT be allowed to develop AIs. Especially monopolistic behemoths like Google.

When advancements in AI intersects with advancements in robotics as is currently the case, humans will soon be slaves to machine overlords.

Not in the way we are already slaves to phones and social media, either. Like slave slave. Like picking cotton under a hot sun slave.

The TV show Person of Interest clearly shows a definitive picture of the dystopia that awaits humanity WHEN AI goes rogue.

5 Likes

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by DrAda(f): 10:16pm On Dec 06, 2023
Used bard recently. Bard is light years behind ChatGPT

9 Likes

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by Lordsammy57: 10:22pm On Dec 06, 2023
Nice
Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by femi4: 10:25pm On Dec 06, 2023
If it's not panadol, it cannot perform like panadol

1 Like

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by Think9ja(m): 10:26pm On Dec 06, 2023
These are the real software developers.

No be all these 9ja guys weh no go let us rest for twitter because them do one small website..

I swear we are just bunch of noisemakers in this country. Something other nations have achieved 30yrs ago, once we achieve it, we won't let social media space rest. I remember some few years back when some mechanical engineering students of ABU produce a car or so, the way we made noise about it then, you'll think we were the first nation on earth to do it. We no sabi anything for this country, make we no deceive ourselves.

Which programming language we don create? Like seriously, apart from web and mobile apps wetin we sabi again?

If I see the way weh 9ja guys de make noise for twitter about being software engineers ehn, I de look them like mumu

Truly, empty vessel make the loudest noise.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by femi4: 10:26pm On Dec 06, 2023
DrAda:
Used bard recently. Bard is light years behind ChatGPT
both bard and bing are learners. I only use them to source for papers

2 Likes

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by NinjaMetahuman: 10:27pm On Dec 06, 2023
I give it 6 months.

Google will over promise and under deliver and then cancel the whole thing because it's not a hit.
Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by AntiChristian: 10:28pm On Dec 06, 2023
Make I test am first!
Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by AntiChristian: 10:29pm On Dec 06, 2023
femi4:
both bard and bing are learners. I only use them to source for papers

So which is the best?

1 Like

Re: Google Launches AI Model 'Gemini', Billed To Be Better Than ChatGPT by Danisaint112(m): 10:29pm On Dec 06, 2023
Based on a demonstration of Gemini for a group of reporters, Googleā€™s ā€œBard Advancedā€ might be capable of unprecedented AI multitasking by simultaneously recognizing and understanding presentations involving text, photos and video.

Now this up there is my favourite part in the whole article I just read. This is a welcome development.

The free one called bard is already serving me well and I rate it 3X better than Chat GPT-4 anytime anyday (for some reasons).

Here are my reasons:
Google owns bard and with this there is no limit to the amount of information you can fetch or access from Google using bard.

If you know your way around SEO trust you can use Bard to do some crazy shit and pull out some crazy information.

I constantly use this ai machine to steal google's most protected data (what the big boys pay thousand of dolls for) šŸ˜šŸ¤‘

I don't know if anyone has discovered this but I did on my own and even if anyone has we are definitely not many.

And with this presentation, phot and video recognition ability for Gemini, the deal done. My greatest problem has been solved.

Don't come mentions to tell you anything pls šŸ™ƒ this secret is reserved for only my family. Nigerians to dey cast abeg... šŸ˜

Me revealing this to you is already enough expo. Do with this information whatever you wish.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How I Built My Rc Helicopter At Home / Little Boy Creates His On Drum Set And Beat (video) / Things You Might Want To Know About Nuclear Weapons (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.