Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,390 members, 7,853,745 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 11:03 PM

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 (42828 Views)

Igbo Language Spoken In Equatorial Guinea / List Of Igbo Dialects And Where They Are Spoken In Igboland / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 10:48am On Dec 09, 2023
Usenokpevbo:
yorubas are not up to 40 percent of Lagos population but we are not ready for that discussion yet, if as at 1964, the Us army handbook already recorded that Igbos were about 11 percent of the population of Lagos state, guess what that would be today, there are chunks of other tribes that has made Lagos their permanent home and has reside in Lagos in huge numbers in recent years , Urhobos, Akwa-cross (efik, oron, Ibibio, annang) Hausa, Binis , Esans , and other northern groups. Refute my point, as a Bini man myself i can’t count cousins, relatives both distant and immediate that live in Lagos permanently.

You might just be Yoruba pretending to be Igbo, you guys do that a lot here to gaslight people

And Yorubas don't make Lagos their homes too?

You might just be Tiv pretending to be Bini man. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 10:49am On Dec 09, 2023
Usenokpevbo:
17% -20%
okay....what about those from the SS.....The Indians and finally the Hausas, British, Americans and other expats? just to get a full view
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 10:50am On Dec 09, 2023
LeonSaab:
okay....what about those from the SS.....The Indians and finally the Hausas, British, Americans and other expats? just to get a full view

What about "Yorubas voted massively for Peter Obi"? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 10:50am On Dec 09, 2023
Gamesmart:

What about "Yorubas voted massively for Peter Obi"? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
why is Anambra representative of igbos?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 10:56am On Dec 09, 2023
LeonSaab:

Because mooorons like LeonSaab would make such a claim. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Question: Was your approach an intelligent way to show, or does it prove, Yorubas voted massively for Peter Obi?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 10:59am On Dec 09, 2023
Gamesmart:

Because mooorons like LeonSaab would make such a claim. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Question: Was your approach an intelligent way to show, or does it prove, Yorubas voted massively for Peter Obi?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Usenokpevbo: 11:02am On Dec 09, 2023
LeonSaab:
HAUSAS-14-15%
Urhobo-Isoko-Okpe-4-5%
Annang-Ibibio-Efik-Oron-6-7%
Bini-Esan-Owan-Etsako-5-6%
Other northern groups like the Fulani, Tiv,Igala, Ebira,Nupe,Idoma,etc-9%percent or more
Ijaws, Ogoni, Itsekiri etc-2-3%
Igbos-17-20%

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Usenokpevbo: 11:18am On Dec 09, 2023
Gamesmart:

And Yorubas don't make Lagos their homes too?

You might just be Tiv pretending to be Bini man. undecided
i served there, it is not my fault that I have this attachment to the people, I am a full blooded Bini man, Lagos is a reflection or a miniature Nigeria, it is a solid reflection of all the groups we have in the country, when you compare their population in Lagos to the population of Yorubas, Yorubas would at best be simple majority, deal with it

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 11:25am On Dec 09, 2023
Usenokpevbo:

HAUSAS-14-15%
Urhobo-Isoko-Okpe-4-5%
Annang-Ibibio-Efik-Oron-6-7%
Bini-Esan-Owan-Etsako-5-6%
Other northern groups like the Fulani, Tiv,Igala, Ebira,Idoma,etc-9%percent or more
Ijaws, Ogoni, Itsekiri etc-2-3%
Igbos-17-20%

lol I know your stats are wrong cause the Hausa population in Lagos is way more than the igbo population, if anyone is closer to 20% its them....second where do you put the Indians cause their population in Nigeria is 800k with more than half staying in Lagos most of them 3rd generation Nigerians, you didnt even consider expats .....and if you add up all your stats here everything comes up to 65%, you mean to tell me Yorubas are less than 35% in Lagos? Even if i accept, you and i both know your distribution is flawed cause for every one Igbo man in Lagos there are three Hausa men.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 11:29am On Dec 09, 2023
Usenokpevbo:
i served there, it is not my fault that I have this attachment to the people, I am a full blooded Bini man, Lagos is a reflection or a miniature Nigeria, it is a solid reflection of all the groups we have in the country, when you compare their population in Lagos to the population of Yorubas, Yorubas would at best be simple majority, deal with it
A Majority is all that is needed......
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by seguno2: 11:31am On Dec 09, 2023
Gamesmart:
I don't understand you.

So you think Buhari is as corrupt or more corrupt than Jonathan, he is just less arrogant and open about it?

Or you think Buhari is as corrupt or more corrupt than Atiku, he is just less arrogant and open about it?

Yes, that is what I meant. Tinubu is also more corrupt than Jonathan and Atiku.

Was Buhari not Abacha’s PTF chairman when the worst KNOWN looting happened, but he denied the looting in 2008 one year after Obasanjo left office having recovered billions of dollars in stolen money?

If Buhari is not more corrupt then why is there more debt even though he more unemployment? What did the Abacha collaborator do with all the revenue and loans? Do you know

Nigeria gets worst TI corruption perception rating under Buhari

Nigeria has dropped five places on the 2021 corruption perception index published by Transparency International (TI).

In the 2021 index released on Tuesday, the country scored 24 out of 100 points — ranking 154 out of 180 countries.

In the 2020 index, Nigeria had scored 25 out of 100 points, ranking 149 out of the 180 countries surveyed.

The development means that Nigeria dropped to 154 — five places down — out of the 180 countries surveyed, in comparison with the 2020 rating.

It also scored 25 out of 100 points — less than the 24 points obtained in the 2020 CPI.

This is the worst ranking the country has got under the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.

In 2015, Nigeria was ranked 136th; 136th in 2016; 148th in 2017; 144th in 2018; 146th in 2019, and 149th in 2020.

https://www.thecable.ng/nigeria-gets-worst-ti-corruption-perception-rating-under-buhari/amp
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Usenokpevbo: 11:55am On Dec 09, 2023
LeonSaab:
lol I know your stats are wrong cause the Hausa population in Lagos is way more than the igbo population, if anyone is closer to 20% its them....second where do you put the Indians cause their population in Nigeria is 800k with more than half staying in Lagos most of them 3rd generation Nigerians, you didnt even consider expats .....and if you add up all your stats here everything comes up to 65%, you mean to tell me Yorubas are less than 35% in Lagos? Even if i accept, you and i both know your distribution is flawed cause for every one Igbo man in Lagos there are three Hausa men.
the Hausas alone are not up to 20% that is why i added other northern groups to make up for the number, you can see i added 9% or more for other northern groups. When you add the Fulanis, their brothers from Niger, Mali etc they are certainly more

I wanted you to add that for the expatriate yourself, i was not going to add for the Indians, i was just more on the fact that cumulatively Yorubas are not up to 40 percent.

There is a way the Yoruba culture incorporates one into its fold that despite housing strange humongous population groups, it will still manage to have this Yoruba outlook, chidi mokeme can speak fluent Yoruba, the same with Alibaba and others, but they are not of the Yoruba stock. Many of those Agberos you see in Lagos are Igbos with Yoruba mothers. And even in their strange hinterland

The Hausas have a way of densely settling among themselves with humongous numbers, so it passes off this false narrative, while the Igbos settle among their host and breed children that integrate almost totally except of their Igbo names on many occasions that gives them out. You and I don’t have the same point, please don’t gaslight me

If another independent analysis of Lagos state is to be conducted on the ethnic groups in Lagos state, you would be sincerely surprised, the Yorubas would at best be 35-37%, they might be less even, i tell you this with all sense of intention.

Who would have thought the Igbos were eleven percent of the population of Lagos in 1964, some Yoruba bigot would have argued it is not up to ten percent today, i gave a range my brother, if you can’t accept 20% just know it can’t be less than 17. That’s why i gave the range of 17% to 20%

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Okada691: 11:59am On Dec 09, 2023
Usenokpevbo:
the Hausas alone are not up to 20% that is why i added other northern groups to make up for the number, you can see i added 9% or more for other northern groups. When you add the Fulanis, their brothers from Niger, Mali etc they are certainly more

I wanted you to add that for the expatriate yourself, i was not going to add for the Indians, i was just more on the fact that cumulatively Yorubas are not up to 40 percent.

There is a way the Yoruba culture incorporates one into its fold that despite housing strange humongous population groups, it will still manage to have this Yoruba outlook, chidi mokeme can speak fluent Yoruba, the same with Alibaba and others, but they are not of the Yoruba stock. Many of those Agberos you see in Lagos are Igbos with Yoruba mothers. And even in their strange hinterland

The Hausas have a way of densely settling among themselves with humongous numbers, so it passes off this false narrative, while the Igbos settle among their host and breed children that integrate almost totally except of their Igbo names on many occasions that gives them out. You and I don’t have the same point, please don’t gaslight me

If another independent analysis of Lagos state is to be conducted on the ethnic groups in Lagos state, you would be sincerely surprised, the Yorubas would not be 35-37%, i tell you this with all sense of intention.

Who would have thought the Igbos were eleven percent of the population of Lagos in 1964, some Yoruba bigot would have argued it is not up to ten percent today, i gave a range my brother, if you can’t accept 20% just know it can’t be less than 17. That’s why i gave the range of 17% to 20%

cool
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 12:21pm On Dec 09, 2023
Usenokpevbo:

If another independent analysis of Lagos state is to be conducted on the ethnic groups in Lagos state, you would be sincerely surprised, the Yorubas would not be 35-37%, i tell you this with all sense of intention.

lol see you talk about independent study as if you did not pull the stats out your head.......I'm not doubting your 35% of Yorubas but you certainly can't believe igbos are 20% while Hausas are just 15%......there are probably less than 9% fulani and others within Lagos as they usually migrate within the NE and middle belt state.......but if you want to drink your own kool aid....🍸.....bottoms up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Usenokpevbo: 12:29pm On Dec 09, 2023
LeonSaab:
lol see you talk about independent study as if you did not pull the stats out your head.......I'm not doubting your 35% of Yorubas but you certainly can't believe igbos are 20% while Hausas are just 15%......there are probably less than 9% fulani and others within Lagos as they usually migrate within the NE and middle belt state.......but if you want to drink your own kool aid....🍸.....bottoms up
Are you the type for needless drag? What are you up to? Did you read my last post? I factor in Hausas in Nigeria as 14- 15 % Hausas from Niger, Mali, Chad, and other northern groups that look and act are certainly part of that 9%. Not Fulani alone. Have you heard of Kanuri? Read up about them, they make up a chunk too and are mistaken as Hausas too in Lagos. I gave a range for the Igbos between 17% to 20% . The igbos integrate quite well , i am not a man of emotions, stop the continuous argument to gaslight my point, what i wrote is clear as day, good day

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 12:45pm On Dec 09, 2023
Usenokpevbo:
Are you the type for needless drag? What are you up to? Did you read my last post? I factor in Hausas in Nigeria as 14- 15 % Hausas from Niger, Mali, Chad, and other northern groups that look and act are certainly part of that 9%. Not Fulani alone. Have you heard of Kanuri? Read up about them, they make up a chunk too and are mistaken as Hausas too in Lagos. I gave a range for the Igbos between 17% to 20% . The igbos integrate quite well , i am not a man of emotions, stop the continuous argument to gaslight my point, what i wrote is clear as day, good day
and I'm telling you the Hausa Population outside the fulani and co are higher than 15% and closer to 20% the others you categorized in the 9% are even less than that.....read my last post clearly..... and igbos are not up to 20% they fall below 15% even with their "integration "

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Usenokpevbo: 12:52pm On Dec 09, 2023
LeonSaab:
and I'm telling you the Hausa Population outside the fulani and co are higher than 15% and closer to 20% the others you categorized in the 9% are even less than that.....read my last post clearly..... and igbos are not up to 20% they fall below 15% even with their "integration "
i respect your opinion, you have right to one, i have a different opinion, i have been to the Lagos myself so i know, my last reply to you

This excerpt was in 1964, the least igbos can be in Lagos is 17 %

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 1:10pm On Dec 09, 2023
Usenokpevbo:
i respect your opinion, you have right to one, i have a different opinion, i have been to the Lagos myself so i know, my last reply to you

This excerpt was in 1964, the least igbos can be in Lagos is 17 %
you have been to Lagos.....I was born and Live in Lagos.....Lagos transformed in front of My eyes from the Military Era of Gowon down to the Governorship of Sanwo Olu......and I'm telling you the Hausa Population alone in Lagos is Closer if not more than 20% infact they make up the heavy set of cheap labour in the state, they come cause they know they can always get daily Job compared to any other state....over the years they have settled and formed communities of their own.....and you dragging a stat from before the civil war doesn't help your case.....igbo population in Lagos is 15% or less in Lagos.....even Joe igbokwe that was saying that igbos make up half of Lagos knows he was just running his mouth.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Usenokpevbo: 1:19pm On Dec 09, 2023
LeonSaab:
you have been to Lagos.....I was born and Live in Lagos.....Lagos transformed in front of My eyes from the Military Era of Gowon down to the Governorship of Sanwo Olu......and I'm telling you the Hausa Population alone in Lagos is Closer if not more than 20% infact they make up the heavy set of cheap labour in the state, they come cause they know they can always get daily Job compared to any other state....over the years they have settled and formed communities of their own.....and you dragging a stat from before the civil war doesn't help your case.....igbo population in Lagos is 15% or less in Lagos.....even Joe igbokwe that was saying that igbos make up half of Lagos knows he was just running his mouth.....
i lived in Lagos for close to 3 years, that is enough to know the population demography, you don’t read that is your problem, most Yorubas are like that, they don’t read, Hausas from Nigeria alone cannot make up more than 15 percent of the population of Lagos state, there are a chunk of them from Niger, Mali, and Chad, and even other northerners like the kanuris with the same body type as the Hausas easily mistaken as Hausas from Nigeria, they live together in secluded settlements, i am sure you don’t go about asking them their country, you see them all as Hausas, and think they are all from Nigeria, you are mistaken, well that was not the initial meat of my argument, i wanted to establish that Yorubas will not be up to 40% of the population of Lagos state, i have successfully done that, if you like put the population of Igbos in Lagos as 2%, in your deepest of heart,you know the truth i am not igbo, i am less bothered

If they were about eleven percent of Lagos population in 1964, it is very fair to pit it at least at 17% now . If i have told you to give me an analysis of Igbo population in 1964, you certainly would not have given me up to one percent but here is the shocker almost 60 years ago

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 1:25pm On Dec 09, 2023
Usenokpevbo:
i lived in Lagos for close to 3 years, that is enough to know the population demography, you don’t read that is your problem, most Yorubas are like that, they don’t read, Hausas from Nigeria alone cannot make up more than 15 percent of the population of Lagos state, there are a chunk of them from Niger, Mali, and Chad, and even other northerners like the kanuris with the same body type as the Hausas easily mistaken as Hausas from Nigeria, they live together in secluded settlements, i am sure you don’t go about asking them their country, you see them all as Hausas, and think they are all from Nigeria, you are mistaken, well that was not the initial meat of my argument, i wanted to establish that Yorubas will not be up to 40% of the population of Lagos state, i have successfully done that, if you like put the population of Igbos in Lagos as 2%, in your deepest of heart,you know the truth i am not igbo, i am less bothered

If they were about eleven percent of Lagos population in 1964, it is very fair to pit it at least at 17% now .
so you mean to say Hausas who are a total of 69 million people in Nigeria cannot form a 20% of 15 million population in Lagos = 3 million? Are you kidding right now? You lived in Lagos for three years and you want to be dragging stats with someone that has 40+ years under his belt are you ok?

2 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Usenokpevbo: 1:37pm On Dec 09, 2023
LeonSaab:
so you mean to say Hausas who are a total of 69 million people in Nigeria cannot form a 20% of 15 million population in Lagos = 3 million? Are you kidding right now?
Dont go about brandishing figures anyhow, they are not up to 69 million, i know they give birth a lot but their children die a lot as a result of malnutrition and lack of care, it is very common to hear “my papa born 20 but na we 5 remain” aside Their main cities like the capital cities and a few others, take Kano state for example, aside the Kano city proper and other satellite like wudil, the Others like Garko etc are small and dry, you will start wondering how it passed for a local government in the first place, pure Hausas cannot be more than 45 million.

I thought they said Lagos is 20 million, you don’t believe?

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Usenokpevbo: 1:40pm On Dec 09, 2023
LeonSaab:
You lived in Lagos for three years and you want to be dragging stats with someone that has 40+ years under his belt are you ok?
you certainly are not okay, remember the 10,000 hour rule, having a full understanding of anything requires just 10,000 hours, the rest is inconsequential. 3 years is more than enough to understand the demography, the rest might be subjected to your bias as a Yoruba person,

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 1:54pm On Dec 09, 2023
Usenokpevbo:
Dont go about brandishing figures anyhow, they are not up to 69 million, i know they give birth a lot but their children die a lot as a result of malnutrition and lack of care, it is very common to hear “my papa born 20 but na we 5 remain” aside Their main cities like the capital cities and a few others, take Kano state for example, aside the Kano city proper and other satellite like wudil, the Others like Garko etc are small and dry, you will start wondering how it passed for a local government in the first place, pure Hausas cannot be more than 45 million.

I thought they said Lagos is 20 million, you don’t believe?
69 Million is their current population .......Lagos population is 15 Million with a daily Immigration and Emigration of 2Million.......
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 1:58pm On Dec 09, 2023
Usenokpevbo:
you certainly are not okay, remember the 10,000 hour rule, having a full understanding of anything requires just 10,000 hours, the rest is inconsequential. 3 years is more than enough to understand the demography, the rest might be subjected to your bias as a Yoruba person,
yes 3 years is more than enough to understand the state while you were there....but you have since left and the state has since changed from what you knew, after all you are not the same person you were yesterday so how do you want to claim to know a state you only spent three years in and have not been back to for only God knows how long? You want to sounding like those foreign companies that run poles and write articles about Nigeria without ever stepping foot in the country.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Usenokpevbo: 1:58pm On Dec 09, 2023
LeonSaab:
69 Million is their current population .......Lagos population is 15 Million with a daily Immigration and Emigration of 2Million.......
I can tell you for a fact that they cannot be more than 45 million pure Hausas, their infant mortality rate is so high and their villages outside their capital cities and a few towns is so scantily populated, take it from someone who has been to garko, a semi urban town in Kano state and know a thing or two about them

I analyzed ethnic groups in Lagos base on the twenty million population the state government is brandishing

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 2:00pm On Dec 09, 2023
Usenokpevbo:
I can tell you for a fact that they cannot be more than 45 million pure Hausas, their infant mortality rate is so high and their villages outside their capital cities and a few towns is so scantily populated, take it from someone who has been to garko, a semi urban town in Kano state and know a thing or two about them

I analyzed ethnic groups in Lagos base on the twenty million population the state government is brandishing
okay since it's a fact point out your source.....I'll wait.....
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Usenokpevbo: 2:01pm On Dec 09, 2023
LeonSaab:
yes 3 years is more than enough to understand the state while you were there....but you have since left and the state has since changed from what you knew, after all you are not the same person you were yesterday so how do you want to claim to know a state you only spent three years in and have not been back to for only God knows how long? You want to sounding like those foreign companies that run poles and write articles about Nigeria without ever stepping foot in the country.
the difference is not that much, i left there in 2017, and i occasionally still visit,
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 2:01pm On Dec 09, 2023
Usenokpevbo:

point me to your source......
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 2:02pm On Dec 09, 2023
Usenokpevbo:
the difference is not that much, i left there in 2017, and i occasionally still visit,
2017.....and you occasionally visit.....wow.......just wow.....I bet there are places I can take you to in Lagos and you'll be lost.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Usenokpevbo: 2:07pm On Dec 09, 2023
LeonSaab:
okay since it's a fact point out your source.....I'll wait.....
don’t be a clown since 1952, the censuses we have had has been one that has been geared towards favoring the hegemony of the north. You need to be in these villages to know that the Hausas can only be 69 million on paper, i was like you until i went there, from when we got our independence, the censuses we’ve conducted have always been geared towards making us believe that the north with a single majority group is bigger than the west and the east combined which is not true, when you now add the population of Fulani, Idoma, Tiv, kanuri, Nupe , Igala, Berom, Ebira etc what will their populatoon now amount to. I don’t have anything against them but let’s be realistic

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by lawani: 2:08pm On Dec 09, 2023
LeonSaab:

Lagos is 20 million residents with say 5 million workers

LASG 500,000
FG - 100,000
Transport sector- 200,000
Organized Private sector 3,500,000
Trading 500,000
Artisans- 200,000

Total 5,000,000

Dependants 15,000,000
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 2:17pm On Dec 09, 2023
lawani:

Lagos is 20 million residents with say 5 million workers

LASG 500,000
FG - 100,000
Transport sector- 200,000
Organized Private sector 3,500,000
Trading 500,000
Artisans- 200,000

Total 5,000,000

Dependants 15,000,000
source....just a link....or photograph of a newspage....

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Warri Parables: Words Of Our Popsi's / Pictures Of The New Palace Of Olubadan Of Ibadan / Eze Eri & His Chiefs Wearing Jewish Apparel (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.