Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,245 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 (42675 Views)

Igbo Language Spoken In Equatorial Guinea / List Of Igbo Dialects And Where They Are Spoken In Igboland / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Emetex22(m): 6:32am On Dec 08, 2023
Pristine664:

Yoruba triple Igbo population in US and Canada. Stop capping!
Na only triple ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜น, agbado statistics, na statistics we go chop ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿ˜‚
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by walefresh3(m): 6:48am On Dec 08, 2023
Igbodicool:
Yawnnnnn

Fake statistics and news from Hebadan Express Way Newspaper Reporter.
naa sonone your stupid brother talk say una igbos plenty pass yorubas for north ?

I come tall sey because una dey park una sele for one market make una think so...

Igbo no even reach half 9f yorubas in the north..

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by saintfieldcastro: 7:00am On Dec 08, 2023
Ethnic affiliation is different from Linguistic affiliation.
Yes, Yoruba is more spoken in US, UK and Canada bcoz most Yorubas especially elderly ones speak it as their first language and are generally chatty, noisy and loquacious.
Igbo people are now awakening in terms of speaking their language and identifying with the language.
Where I served at Sokoto during our Nysc days, we thought Yorubas were the most numerous Nysc corp members until we were given a breakdown of State of Origin of all NYSC members in my stream.
Out of 2100 NYSC members, 991were from Southeast, the southwest had 657, the North and South South had the rest. But in almost all the Lodges, even in my own lodge where there are 12 Igbos and 8 yorubas, you would be thinking that all of us were ethnically YORUBAs bcoz Yorubas there are chatty, loquacious, noisy and talkative.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by walefresh3(m): 7:06am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

I really struggle to believe there are more Yorubas in the USA than Igbos.

I am suspecting maybe Yorubas just teach their kids their indigenous language more than Igbos.

There are more Yorubas in the UK than Igbo. I struggle to believe that is also the case in the USA.
read dis brother by Reno omokri

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by demmie1: 7:23am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

I am suspecting maybe Yorubas just teach their kids their indigenous language more than Igbos.

There are more Yorubas in the UK than Igbo. I struggle to believe that is also the case in the USA.

While you are struggling, think about these questions
Which airport do you go to when you are travelling out of nigeria?
Which group is closer to the airports than most?
Which region is us embassy located
Which group is more accessible to the embassy

Struggle constructively not by sentiment

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 8:48am On Dec 08, 2023
Gajagojo:

Purely because
Sounds like what you want to believe because of your churlish psychology

How do you know the numbers are based on kids and not people who emigrated from Nigeria as adults/adolescents.

There is no reason or basis to bring up.That PURELY BECAUSE argument other than bad belle

You are a cretin.

If you are too stuuupid to understand what is argued. ask questions. When una dey carry expo into exam and think una smart; you think it would not catch up with your daft ass?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 8:49am On Dec 08, 2023
numericalguy:

The Yorubas are generally more law abiding which is why you don't get to hear their news so much.

There are more Indians in the US than Nigerians but most Indians are into legal jobs like IT medicine, engineering etc

True.

But I always assumed the individuality, rags-to-riches story, entrepreneurship and life-is-all-about-the-money culture of America suits and would attract the Igbo more.

Secondly, almost all our Basketballers are Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 8:58am On Dec 08, 2023
demmie1:

That is of less relevance.

South Africans have more airports that have flights to many developed country and they can go to many visa free.

Yet, there are not as many South Africans as there are Nigerians in these developed countries.

South Africans can freely use the embassies to get to Europe; Nigerians are using Mediterranean Sea to get to same places.

So where the embassy and airport is located is less relevant than where the need for hustle and greener pasture is more prominent.

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 8:59am On Dec 08, 2023
demmie1:

South Africans have more airports that have flights to many developed country and they can go to many visa free without even needing to go to any embassies.

Yet, there are not as many South Africans as there are Nigerians in these developed countries.

South Africans can freely use the embassies to get to Europe; Nigerians are using Mediterranean Sea to get to same places.

So where the embassy and airport is located is less relevant than where the need for hustle and greener pasture is more prominent.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 9:00am On Dec 08, 2023
demmie1:

South Africans have more airports that have flights to many developed country and they can go to many visa free without even needing to go to any embassies.

South Africans can freely use visa-free to get to Europe; Nigerians are using death boats in the Mediterranean Sea to get to same places at higher rates.

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by victory36(m): 10:41am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

there are more yorubas than igbos in both US and UK. Igbos are only more populous in European and Asian countries.

3 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Antoeni(m): 10:49am On Dec 08, 2023
Abeg Remove Fulani From That List And Add Bini, Herdsmen Dey Travel?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by ozegidon(m): 10:49am On Dec 08, 2023
Pristine664:

What I understand when they say Yorubas don't travel is... "Yorubas don't constitute nuisance wherever they are" cool
Shoutup! Husspuppy
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by ShangTsung000: 10:51am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

Why are you this sttttupid?

As in eeh. Na inferiority complex dey do all these dumb owamberians.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by AllahOfBlood: 10:52am On Dec 08, 2023
Pristine664:

What I understand when they say Yorubas don't travel is... "Yorubas don't constitute nuisance wherever they are" cool
They rather stay at home mining skulls for the general people of the Oduduwa Republic where ever they are.

Nonsense
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Mayeldah(m): 10:52am On Dec 08, 2023
BlackhatMentor:
Is this supposed to be an achievement?

I tire o bros?

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Kossyso: 10:52am On Dec 08, 2023
Nice!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Big achievement๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Nnewison: 10:53am On Dec 08, 2023
Yorubas makes use of their language than igbos do that is just the case, an igbo,most igbos I mean will not speak their language but igbos are everywhere as I have been to few countries ,I stand to be corrected

Nnewi blood.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by xweexxer(m): 10:54am On Dec 08, 2023
Igbos no dey carry last
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Idaytesj29(m): 10:55am On Dec 08, 2023
opamoses1:
Some ๐Ÿคกs like to say "Yorubas don't travel".

We just don't travel to unsafe regions. That's all.

You have killed the table like Hamas killing spree in Israel. Ipob Igbo Christians in severe pains.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by DaTruths: 10:55am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

Yorubas are more corporate, hence the reason why they are more officially inclined.

But by outright population, Igbos are more in number both documented and undocumented.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by valentineuwakwe(m): 10:56am On Dec 08, 2023
Wetin fulani dey find go USA...thought they prefer Saudi Arabia?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by mikeapollo: 10:56am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

A lot more Yoruba travelled using the education route which was the more popular and viable avenue for traveling to USA and Canada, followed by businesses.

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Idaytesj29(m): 10:56am On Dec 08, 2023
Nnewison:
Yorubas makes use of their language than igbos do that is just the case, an igbo,most igbos I mean will not speak their language but igbos are everywhere as I have been to few countries ,I stand to be corrected

Nnewi blood.

Yes, US statistics are fake. We agree with you , wholeheartedly. No argument

6 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Bimpe29: 10:58am On Dec 08, 2023
Omoluabis are pervasive. Na Ajala dem be. grin

6 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by AareGaa: 10:59am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

Ibos are just noise makers who constitute nuisance everywhere.

It's crimes that make people identify ibos easily

7 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Johnnyhoo(m): 10:59am On Dec 08, 2023
Pristine664:

Lol the only available West African Language in my school in Canada is Yoruba

It's either you click Yoruba or you don't click any west African language.

Whatโ€™s the name of your school?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 10:59am On Dec 08, 2023
ShangTsung000:

As in eeh. Na inferiority complex dey do all these dumb owamberians.

I would argue, and I am extremely confident, it is the Igbos who have more of the inferiority complex.

Hence, the need to boast a lot.

Hence, the frequent attacks on other tribes in their boasts. With particular unwarranted attacks on Yorubas as they see them as the tribe who can definitely ensure they can never claim the superior and most achieving tribe they want to claim. And they also would die for Lagos to be in the SE or, at worst, not in Yoruba or Hausa area; then they would feel happier and more confident to boast superiority.

Majority of the attack of Yorubas on Igbos is more of a backlash of Igbo behaviours, not inferiority complex.

9 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Offpointng: 10:59am On Dec 08, 2023
Ballmer:
You will be amazed if a census is conducted in Malaysia Singapore China India etc n Yoruba comes out doubling Igbo population again.

Seems you have no idea what irritant noise maker this pathetic lot from Ipobland constitute wherever they manage to go.

Broo that noise is just too much, Kilode.

The other day one was bragging Igbos are rich and own 90% of private jet in Nigeria blabla until I checked in at Hangar list of Private jets owners in Nigeria and saw only 5 Igbo business men own Private jet whilst Yoruba business men who own PJ are bout 10. Yet you won't see an Average Yoruba brag bout frivolities as such

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by TinubuNG: 10:59am On Dec 08, 2023
BlackhatMentor:
Is this supposed to be an achievement?
Yes it is , if you don't look at it from hatred angle wink . Data didn't say the most spoken Nigeria language in US but in Africa as a whole

Yoruba remain the best in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by BXNX: 11:00am On Dec 08, 2023
opamoses1:
Some ๐Ÿคกs like to say "Yorubas don't travel".

We just don't travel to unsafe regions. That's all.

Telli person! grin
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 11:00am On Dec 08, 2023
Antoeni:
Abeg Remove Fulani From That List And Add Bini, Herdsmen Dey Travel?

Those are most likely not Nigerian Fulanis.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Eze Eri & His Chiefs Wearing Jewish Apparel (Photos) / Yoruba Dad Teaching His Biracial Kids Yoruba Language (Video) / Pictures Of The New Palace Of Olubadan Of Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.