Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,716 members, 7,816,950 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:57 PM

Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest (27176 Views)

Remi Tinubu, Governors’ Wives Move To Address “Japa” Syndrome / Peter Obi Agrees With Bill Gates' Comment On The "Japa" Syndrome / Soldiers Who Shot Protesters Must Face The Law, US Officials Tell Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Bigchristo: 4:07am On Dec 16, 2023
Yankiss:
While the government has zero plans for the youths, yahoo yahoo and other fraud ventures are a matter of choice. It's propelled by get-rich0quick syndrome and greed. We should not hide under Government failure to justice the unacceptable. Some youths still make it out there without fraud.

The government is not bothered about development of the country or about the youths. The youths are good enough as thugs and nothing more. So I fail to capture how their japa affects an insensitive idoncare govt. The elite get to power to share our commonwealth, not to develop anybody or anything.
When tackling a problem always start from the root causes of it, who set examples for these young people? It was same politicians that converted public funds to their personal use for themselves,family and close associates and left the other Nigerians in poverty and suffering no jobs millions of graduates roaming the street some recently graduated where do you want them to work? My papa company shey? Government has always been a problem why young people venture into fraud to survive but on a nutshell I don’t support such act if they get caught such person will face the consequences of their actions.

1 Like

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 4:27am On Dec 16, 2023
Soteriahascome:
The government should provide security of lives and properties, a good transport network, and stable electricity and when this is done Nigerians abroad will start coming back
U didn't include the economic factors, u dey underestimate am abi... Dey play, just dey play...

Omo the salaries no matter how big people are collecting these days have been rendered utterly useless by devaluation, inflation, greed and corruption. Corruption is now a vibrant industry. So everybody are Looting, embezzling, diverting public funds and company stocks/assets (for those in private sector) so that they can be able to feed their families

Note, I did not say take proper care of family which entails a whole lot of things.

Embezzle just to afford proper feeding only of their families.

Na wetin make people dey run o...

2 Likes

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Reference(m): 4:29am On Dec 16, 2023
Don't mind them.

They can't relate the fact that they have to borrow to survive simply because revenue is down due to a collapse in productivity caused by the decimation of the middle class.

Where professionals and entrepreneurs are fast closing down their businesses and migrating for paid employment and venture enterprises abroad.

The effect is that when the kettle on the hot plate has vaporized the water it proceeds to consume itself before finally pulling the entire house down in a fiery fire storm.

Where you see an earth hole on your farm there is either a bush rat in place or a snake waiting for the bush rat to wander back home.

The young people of this country will always position themselves to enter the middle class but where the snakes of systemic national hostility await they will naturally find new homes abroad to rest.

Who wants to be an unfortunate victim of the peddlers of the failed system called Nigeria plc.

1 Like

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by DKM123: 5:07am On Dec 16, 2023
Which consequences?
People that are amassing billions?

It's ordinary Nigerians and thier future generations that will face the consequences. The politicians children will enjoy the consequences cos they are actually abroad with the japa-ed Nigerians living and enjoying thier life and will only visit the catastrophe called Nigeria once in 5years just to check on thier many inherited properties..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Blaze14k: 6:00am On Dec 16, 2023
Jakpon:
Omo I am not exaggerating, the number of my home boys and girls, wey I know personally one on one, that migrated to UK & Canada within the last two months exceeds fifty.
Meanwhile the political class don't care

They want people to japa so that the country will be easier for them to rule. They feel the population is too much for them to control
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by fasbat(m): 6:06am On Dec 16, 2023
Jakpon:
Omo I am not exaggerating, the number of my home boys and girls, wey I know personally one on one, that migrated to UK & Canada within the last two months exceeds fifty.
I have 2 men as siblings,both have left this sick country with their families,with wives and children, myself,I will find my way so soon,I have a registered company here but Nigeria is not helping the situation, in my area, about 4/5 neighbours that are landlords with me have left their houses and RAN out of this hell with their families,so you are correct, people are running out in torrent

2 Likes

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Josywhyte: 6:21am On Dec 16, 2023
Naija polithiefans no send u o. So far dem dey see money loot,they are ok
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by nosa2ekundayo: 6:25am On Dec 16, 2023
Jakpon:

Don't mind them, they cannot care oh....so long as they did not leave with Nigerias crude oil...the only time it will touch them is when the youth comes up with an innovative idea that will almost outrightly replace crude .....

Solution 2...kill any firs/custom officer/nnpc worker/ contractor you see ....this should happen after replacing crude
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by EdiskyHarry: 6:28am On Dec 16, 2023
Nigerian leaders only think about money and the next election, none is thinking about the people and the next generation.
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by 9japride(m): 6:55am On Dec 16, 2023
Jakpon:
[color=#006600][/color]

It's majority of the masses that are voting in those political classes into power.
We all witnessed last election, the candidate that didn't address the masses or even tried to associate with them eventually won the election. And their supporters are still active. It's just that a large number of people in our society are extremely wicked and tribalistic bigots.
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by femicyrus(m): 7:00am On Dec 16, 2023
Yankiss:
While the government has zero plans for the youths, yahoo yahoo and other fraud ventures are a matter of choice. It's propelled by get-rich0quick syndrome and greed. We should not hide under Government failure to justice the unacceptable. Some youths still make it out there without fraud.

The government is not bothered about development of the country or about the youths. The youths are good enough as thugs and nothing more. So I fail to capture how their japa affects an insensitive idoncare govt. The elite get to power to share our commonwealth, not to develop anybody or anything.
the only plan the government has for the youth is EFCC and police extortion
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Fearyourcreator: 7:03am On Dec 16, 2023
Yankiss:

Thank you , you have said well... Many doing bad things wants to hide under bad govt

1 Like

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Fearyourcreator: 7:05am On Dec 16, 2023
inoki247:
Lol Noise is Chinese and India facing any consequence....

Una Japa reach them.....

You dey mind this one ... Make he dey zuzu
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Fearyourcreator: 7:06am On Dec 16, 2023
jaxxy:
Only Obasanjo understood the value of the youths and did his best to reduce the brain drain in his time.
Abeg make them go , people wey go replace many of them dey abeg...
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Fearyourcreator: 7:06am On Dec 16, 2023
PHZADDY1:
We still dey lineup sha,next year half of me and my homeboys dey japa too...we can't be in a country where stupid people and vulture grillers dey support people wey hold them captive angry
Go this December abeg with your homeboys...
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Fearyourcreator: 7:09am On Dec 16, 2023
Meti99:
As if they cared...
If you didn't know Nigeria is on loose end know it today...
Those principalities and powers don't give a shit about what happens to Nigerians so far there's still enough money to embezzle...

The greatest mistake Nigeria youths are still making is to believe this country can work again as ONE
Oga shift
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Fearyourcreator: 7:09am On Dec 16, 2023
FILEBE:
Before nko?

Everybody will. It will touch everyone. We are getting to that stage where almost every Nigerian family has at least one person abroad.

When people are working and saving hard just to leave Nigeria. Many skilled workers are leaving. What are we going be left with?

Our leaders are the worse! I hope all these affect them directly or indirectly. They should see the devil they made.

Epele
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Menclothing: 7:10am On Dec 16, 2023
They don’t care about Nigerians b4
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by yusluvad(m): 7:17am On Dec 16, 2023
One thing i know is that our political class don't care whatsoever. As far as they keep cashing out, they cared less about the masses, they're governing!

Maybe, just maybe, some times to come we can get it right as a nation, but right now, I'm sorry.

The country is in dilemma!🇳🇬🇳🇬
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by maasoap(m): 7:41am On Dec 16, 2023
Yankiss:

You are not listening
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by maasoap(m): 7:46am On Dec 16, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

Abeg make them go , people wey go replace many of them dey abeg...
Fearyourcreator:

Go this December abeg with your homeboys...
Fearyourcreator:

Oga shift
Fearyourcreator:

Epele

What's your problem? Do you really like how this country has been messed up or the state of things? This is not about APC or LP, Yoruba or Igbo. Sit down for a second and think about your future and that of your children in this country! The future is gloomy if things continue like this.

2 Likes

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by BreconHills(m): 7:51am On Dec 16, 2023
Yankiss:

I dont know that one can say the government is not bothered about youth. There have been a lot of programs specifically earmarked for youth across several administrations. Whether they have been well run is another thing.

Japa is a global phenomenon. Post Brexit the UK has lost many doctors and nurses to the US and Australia. The world is flat talent wise and people will move. Not everyone moving out of Nigeria is poor and desperate. A large number are from big 4 consulting firms, also people in good mid tier jobs. Global job fluidity is a thing in itself. Having a poor economy doesn't help and the idea of doing for the kids is a powerful one. In my job partnering with top 4 consulting firms the intra project turn over is massive which has helped people like me who are stayers to become a stabilising force on projects.

I honestly think the real cost and gains of japa both to the economy and the family as a social structure will show up over the next 5-10 years and then we will all be able to assess it better.
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by YoshihideSuga: 8:07am On Dec 16, 2023
malali:
A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE SHOUTING AND PREACHING THE JAPA PHENOMENON

[color=#990000][b]1-Average cost of rent $2500

2-Phone, electricity, gas, water $500

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/18gg48z/hows_it_possible_people_in_the_us_are_making/

Thanks for the information. But with all this happening and your reference to history, why have you not returned to Africa?
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Fearyourcreator: 8:08am On Dec 16, 2023
maasoap:

What's your problem? Do you really like how this country has been messed up or the state of things? This is not about APC or LP, Yoruba or Igbo. Sit down for a second and think about your future and that of your children in this country! The future is gloomy if things continue like this

Same thing goes for you
Na you know wetin do your future and that of your children ..
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Yankiss(m): 8:11am On Dec 16, 2023
BreconHills:

I dont know that one can say the government is not bothered about youth. There have been a lot of programs specifically earmarked for youth across several administrations. Whether they have been well run is another thing.

Japa is a global phenomenon. Post Brexit the UK has lost many doctors and nurses to the US and Australia. The world is flat talent wise and people will move. Not everyone moving out of Nigeria is poor and desperate. A large number are from big 4 consulting firms, also people in good mid tier jobs. Global job fluidity is a thing in itself. Having a poor economy doesn't help and the idea of doing for the kids is a powerful one. In my job partnering with top 4 consulting firms the intra project turn over is massive which has helped people like me who are stayers to become a stabilising force on projects.

I honestly think the real cost and gains of japa both to the economy and the family as a social structure will show up over the next 5-10 years and then we will all be able to assess it better.
Well, you are right to some extent. Government programs for youths are full of insincerity. Mostly coming during electioneering and not as a proactive growth measure. Where they are well-meaning, beneficiaries are either thugs of ruling party or cronies and wards of the big shots. It never gets to a random youth.

While a tidy percentage of those leaving the country are not certifiably poor, the massive brain drain is not going to help the country develop. Three quarters of my university graduating class and most of them brightest of the bright are in different countries and not only that, citizens of these countries to boot. They are as Nigerian as we define them. Basically, they are non-Nigerians, because I know a few of them working in Nigeria now as expatriates. Most of the political class and their immediate families have dual citizenship. And you wonder why they rule the way they do. Borrowing money to fund irrelevancies. In effect that is what you get when foreigners are running your economy. I call them foreigners because they are indeed foreigners, owning properties abroad and with near zero allegiance to Nigeria.

The situation is not an ideal one. Japa is not helping and cannot help a developing country like Nigeria unless it is a coordinated policy. China was developed when they adopted the Sea-turtle scheme, in which top graduates of Chinese universities were sent to understudy the developed economies and lured with mouthwatering incentives to come back to China and develop it. Emperor Hiro Hito of Japan adopted a similar tactics to turn his country from third world to a first world. India today is such that they classify their citizenship broadly. You have NRI (Non-Resident Indians) and the RI (Resident Indians.) Their rights and privileges as spelt out in the constitution are not the same. And they do not entertain dual citizenship. You are either Indian or nothing else. You can't be US citizen and Indian at same time. Most Indians I know prefer to study abroad and come back to their country to develop indigenous technologies.

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by 1TrippleCee: 8:30am On Dec 16, 2023
Yankiss:
Well, you are right to some extent. Government programs for youths are full of insincerity. Mostly coming during electioneering and not as a proactive growth measure. Where they are well-meaning, beneficiaries are either thugs of ruling party or cronies and wards of the big shots. It never gets to a random youth.

While a tidy percentage of those leaving the country are not certifiably poor, the massive brain drain is not going to help the country develop. Three quarters of my university graduating class and most of them brightest of the bright are in different countries and not only that, citizens of these countries to boot. They are as Nigerian as we define them. Basically, they are non-Nigerians, because I know a few of them working in Nigeria now as expatriates. Most of the political class and their immediate families have dual citizenship. And you wonder why they rule the way they do. Borrowing money to fund irrelevancies. In effect that is what you get when foreigners are running your economy. I call them foreigners because they are indeed foreigners, owning properties abroad and with near zero allegiance to Nigeria.

The situation is not an ideal one. Japa is not helping and cannot help a developing country like Nigeria unless it is a coordinated policy. China was developed when they adopted the Sea-turtle scheme, in which top graduates of Chinese universities were sent to understudy the developed economies and lured with mouthwatering incentives to come back to China and develop it. Emperor Hiro Hito of Japan adopted a similar tactics to turn his country from third world to a first world. India today is such that they classify their citizenship broadly. You have NRI (Non-Resident Indians) and the RI (Resident Indians.) Their rights and privileges as spelt out in the constitution are not the same. And they do not entertain dual citizenship. You are either Indian or nothing else. You can't be US citizen and Indian at same time. Most Indians I know prefer to study abroad and come back to their country to develop indigenous technologies.

The country is done for. People don't know how bad this migration is but it is beginning to show in the massive decline in productivity

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by FireUpNow(m): 9:03am On Dec 16, 2023
Many more will still japa because thos country is frustrating. No work and no meaningful employment. Many youths are roaming the streets with nothing to do. Many families are finding it difficult to survive.
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by akin33(m): 9:20am On Dec 16, 2023
They won't care because their children will fill the vacuum.
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Mac2016(m): 9:22am On Dec 16, 2023
AnonPoet:

https://leaders.ng/2023/12/15/japa-syndrome-nigerias-political-class-will-face-the-consequences-soonest/
The only consequence has started and it is on the masses not the political class. I don't see how they will feel anything.
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by Pootle: 9:25am On Dec 16, 2023
inoki247:
Lol Noise is Chinese and India facing any consequence....

Una Japa reach them.....

no mind them, even for worse places people still dey there, Afghanistan as e bad people dey, gaza and ukrain wey bomb dey fall for there every 2seconds ppl boku for there those ppl even get good evidence to japa but unfortunately u cant evacuate a whole country
Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by BreconHills(m): 9:27am On Dec 16, 2023
Yankiss:

Thanks for a well substantiated response. A lot to think about here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa Syndrome: Nigeria’s Political Class Will Face The Consequences Soonest by XY23: 9:34am On Dec 16, 2023
PHZADDY1:
We still dey lineup sha,next year half of me and my homeboys dey japa too...we can't be in a country where stupid people and vulture grillers dey support people wey hold them captive angry

Abi my brother. Instead of counting years and suffering something a depraved majority is forcing on everyone. 2015 to date is 9 solid years. How many people can boast of steady and sustained growth that commiserate with their efforts in the 9 years? I know young chaps whose businesses nosedive this year alone, making them lose millions. Useless country.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Delta Monarch Gives Fulani Herdsmen Nine Days To Quit Kingdom. / Amosun Slams Tinubu, Osoba As Anti-oshiomole Protests Spread / Sit-At-Home: Any Of Our Members Disturbing People Should Be Arrested - IPOB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.