Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,368 members, 7,864,704 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 02:30 AM

Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? (1367 Views)

Are Jehovah Witness People Real Christians? / Are Jehovah's Witnesses Tied To Freemasons? / Who Are Jehovah’s Witnesses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by cornelboy(f): 12:56pm On Dec 17, 2023
NowYouKnow:

My profession deals with making extensive research. I know almost everything about my organisation. Things they've done and tried to cover up, blunders in failed prophecies or explanation of certain scriptures, controversial policies etc.

Why they (Governing Body) choose to handle certain things the way they do baffles me. However, I am aware that they are not infallible so I don't judge and condemn them totally. I also take into consideration the fact that some of their teachings are on point and it has saved me from being a member of any of today's new age church with questionable practices. That doesn't mean we (Jehovah's witnesses) are better than every other church. Christianity is not a football club thing we're my club is better than yours. It about your way of life in accordance with God's word the Bible.

This is why when I have non heated arguments with my fellow brothers who seem to take things to the extreme, I tell them to take it easy.

It about your way of life in accordance with God's word the Bible.
Lol who are those living according to God's words today aside the Jehovah witnesses?

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Sakody: 1:17pm On Dec 17, 2023
Cult Tactic 2: No tolerance for criticism and questions
NowYouKnow, you already know this one. But I want to mention an example that was mentioned in a Watchtower study not too long ago this year.

In the Watchtower, you JWs were been taught the importance of obedience. The example of obedience mentioned in the magazine was Gideon. How he obeyed Jehovah when he was asked to do something. They mentioned the Bible verses to support this. What they omitted in the Watchtower is that when you read the verses after the one they quoted, Gideon questioned Jehovah first and asked him to prove himself to him before doing what he was asked. Gideon asked Jehovah to prove himself to him 4 different times. 4 times! After Jehovah proved himself the 4th time, then Gideon decided to do what he was asked. This point was never mentioned because as a Cult, Questioning is forbidden!

Why am I using this example? Because Almighty God in his power and high position, the Most High over all the earth, as the Baba himself, was sooooo humble to a fault that he proved himself to Gideon before Gideon decided to do what he asked of him. Imagine a powerful being this humble. How many humans can do this? But a mere human like the Governing body are asking you never to question them or can never think of proving themselves to you. These same people are asking for Unquestionable obedience without questions. No o. This is pure Idolatry.

And this brings me to my question, since you became a JW, have the Governing body or even the Presidents of Watchtower before them, ever shown you evidence of their claim of being chosen by Jesus? Anyone can make this claim but where is the evidence? God proved himself to Gideon. Jesus proved himself to Christians. His disciples did the same. Has the Governing body or previous Presidents done the same?
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Emusan(m): 1:20pm On Dec 17, 2023
NowYouKnow:

Please he is not my brother.

To answer your question Jehovah's Witnesses reject blood transfusions based on interpretation of certain biblical passages. We believe that the Bible prohibits the consumption of blood, and this belief extends to receiving blood transfusions. The key scriptures they refer to include passages such as Genesis 9:4, Leviticus 17:10-14, and Acts 15:28-29.

Speaking of blood transfusion have you all seen this. A first of its kind.

I like your approach and honesty.

1. But do you think the verses you cited above can be wrongly applied by Watchtower because those verses never expressly talk about BLOOD TRANSFUSION which is a method in medical line to rescue people at the face of certain health challenge?

2. Bloodless treatment is initiated by the same people (scientists) who started blood transfusion, as scientists always improve in their research and development. But for now, bloodless treatment can't be applied in some certain situations, do you think someone in critical condition should not be transfused because some people in Warwick think's those verses actually talking about it?

3. What will be the fate of those JWs who have died or lost their loved ones when another new light on blood transfusion is received?

4. Lastly, do you think the true God is the one behind all this back and forth rules?

3 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by achorladey: 1:27pm On Dec 17, 2023
cornelboy:

Lol who are those living according to God's words today aside the Jehovah witnesses?

Apply the below into your madness and insanities peddling brains grin When you read, read to comprehend the post not to advance more lies and manipulations packed into your madness and insanities peddling brains

That doesn't mean we (Jehovah's witnesses) are better than every other church.

Since he said Jehovah’s witnesses are not better than every other churches it therefore shows Jehovah’s witnesses are not the only one living according to God's words.

The reason you cannot answer the question, do Christendom teach the truth? grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Emusan(m): 1:52pm On Dec 17, 2023
NowYouKnow:
By the way, the idea that Jehovah's Witnesses do exactly every single thing the governing body tells us to do is false.

In every organisation, whether religious or non religious there will always be those that take things to the extreme and those that are open and think outside the box.

Let me give you an example. Some years ago, the governing body came up with a rule that any elder whose child is in a far away university must be dropped. Some elders pulled their children away from the university, some did not send their kids to the university, while some dropped from their position as elders willingly and sent their kids to any far away university of their choice.

Were they killed, flogged, disfellowshipped or shunned? The answer is NO.

My point is not all witnesses are the same. Some they groove life pass you and you're free to do what you want as long as you are not doing anything that is against God's commandments in the Bible.

What you stated here is what some JWs on this forum has been battling and shamelessly defending, they whitewash it and rebranded it by calling it "ONE LINE OF THOUGHT".

They will rather defend those men who claimed they are fallible than openly accept the truth of the scripture.

3 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Emusan(m): 1:55pm On Dec 17, 2023
achorladey:

Apply the below into your madness and insanities peddling brains grin When you read, read to comprehend the post not to advance more lies and manipulations packed into your madness and insanities peddling brains

Since he said Jehovah’s witnesses are not better than every other churches it therefore shows Jehovah’s witnesses are not the only one living according to God's words.

The reason you cannot answer the question, do Christendom teach the truth? grin grin

You can see how the intelligent officer wanted to shut him down at first for saying the truth all of them have been failing to say all this while

Now, they are feeling ashamed of the truth

cheesy grin cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by achorladey: 3:21pm On Dec 17, 2023
Emusan:

You can see how the intelligent official wanted to shut him down at first for saying the truth all of them have been failing to say all this while

Now, they are feeling ashamed of the truth

cheesy grin cheesy grin

when the ex military found out he has no place to hide lying and manipulating brains, he ran away from the thread.

He used his favourite tag and label of apostate only to find out the person he was trying to derail wont have none of that. Looool!

3 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Emekuz256(m): 5:57pm On Dec 17, 2023
Now you know, you're not supposed to spend time correcting the lies maxindhouse,maximum, ND co, say cos you will not never change their ideology or thinking , instead it will be a stumbling block to you.

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Kobojunkie: 6:07pm On Dec 17, 2023
NowYouKnow:

■ If you don't get my mentality why seek more answers from me? Live and let live.
You offered up what seems an illogical response and I simply explained that it makes no sense to me.. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Kobojunkie: 6:11pm On Dec 17, 2023
achorladey:
One point of note here.....
Those non negotiable rules are enforced by principal members like the elders and circuit overseers in their midst. Going against those one is as good as going against the Governing Body aka voice of Jesus Christ aka god. John 1:1
And that that another side to this... @NowYouknow claims he is able to stand up against the GB even the supposedly non-negotiable rules while he continues on as part of the same JWs org. That does not make sense to me. undecided

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Kobojunkie: 6:14pm On Dec 17, 2023
Emekuz256:
Now you know, you're not supposed to spend time correcting the lies maxindhouse,maximum, ND co, say cos you will not never change their ideology or thinking , instead it will be a stumbling block to you.
It isn't just their lies but the lies that are the very foundation of all of the religion of Christianity as a whole. undecided

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:43pm On Dec 17, 2023
Emekuz256:

Now you know, you're not supposed to spend time correcting the lies maxindhouse, maximum, ND co, say cos you will not never change their ideology or thinking , instead it will be a stumbling block to you.

Is there one thing you read in my post that any JW ever told you is not so?

What differs is our approach and that's due to the fact that each person is unique on his own but when it comes to what all JWs believes even those who left the organization will tell you that whoever doesn't agree is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

So there's not a single lie rather it's approach that differs.

Thank you! smiley

2 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Janosky: 12:27am On Dec 18, 2023
Emusan:

What you stated here is what some JWs on this forum has been battling and shamelessly defending, they whitewash it and rebranded it by calling it "ONE LINE OF THOUGHT".

They will rather defend those men who claimed they are fallible than openly accept the truth of the scripture.

JWs agree on the injunction of 1 Corinthians 1:10
Ask the OP of this thread if he agrees to 1 Cor 1:10 to guide his beliefs?

Emusan, "which truth of the scripture?"

No evidence from Emusan.
Emusan TWISTING the facts. grin

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Janosky: 12:30am On Dec 18, 2023
Kobojunkie:
It isn't just their lies but the lies that are the very foundation of all of the religion of Christianity as a whole. undecided

Is Isaiah 43:10 (ASV),Matthew 12:15-18 & John 5:43 in your own Bible?

Kobo continue DECEIVING YOURSELF. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Janosky: 12:48am On Dec 18, 2023
NowYouKnow:

My profession deals with making extensive research. I know almost everything about my organisation. Things they've done and tried to cover up, blunders in failed prophecies or explanation of certain scriptures, controversial policies etc.

Why they (Governing Body) choose to handle certain things the way they do baffles me. However, I am aware that they are not infallible so I don't judge and condemn them totally.
Yes.
JEHOVAH'S Servants are not infallible.
1 Corinthians 13:9, including Paul who wrote the most portions of the Christian Greek scriptures.

Did Abraham understand the science/biology behind circumcision on the 8th day?
No.

But was Abraham obedient? Yes.
[quote author=NowYouKnow post=127524741]

I also take into consideration the fact that some of their teachings are on point and it has saved me from being a member of any of today's new age church with questionable practices. That doesn't mean we (Jehovah's witnesses) are better than every other church. Christianity is not a football club thing we're my club is better than yours. It about your way of life in accordance with God's word the Bible..

Why did you not choose to be a member of Christendom?
Matthew 5:20 , Isaiah 43:10, Matthew 12:15-18 & Acts 15:14-17
cheesy

NowYouKnow:

This is why when I have non heated arguments with my fellow brothers who seem to take things to the extreme, I tell them to take it easy.

grin grin grin
That Peter cut off the ear of a man & Paul did not.
Does it change the fact that both believed , understood & lived by the principles of
1 Corinthians 1:10?

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Kobojunkie: 12:52am On Dec 18, 2023
Janosky:
Is Isaiah 43:10 (ASV),Matthew 12:15-18 & John 5:43 in your own Bible? Kobo continue DECEIVING YOURSELF. grin

1. Jacob, the Lord created you. Israel, he made you, and now he says, “Don’t be afraid. I saved you. I named you. You are mine.
2 When you have troubles, I am with you. When you cross rivers, you will not be hurt. When you walk through fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not hurt you.
3 That’s because I, the Lord, am your God. I, the Holy One of Israel, am your Savior. I gave Egypt to pay for you. I gave Ethiopia and Seba to make you mine.
4 You are precious to me, and I have given you a special place of honor. I love you. That’s why I am willing to trade others, to give up whole nations, to save your life.
5 “So don’t be afraid, because I am with you. I will gather your children and bring them to you. I will gather them from the east and from the west.
6 I will tell the north: Give my people to me. I will tell the south: Don’t keep my people in prison. Bring my sons and daughters to me from the faraway places.
7 Bring to me all the people who are mine—the people who have my name. I made them for myself. I made them, and they are mine.
8 “Bring out the people who have eyes but are blind. Bring out the people who have ears but are deaf.[a]
9 All people and all nations should also be gathered together. Which of their gods said this would happen? Which of their gods would tell what happened in the beginning? They should bring their witnesses. The witnesses should speak the truth. This will show they are right.”
10 The Lord says, “You people are my witnesses and the servant I chose. I chose you so that you would help people believe me. I chose you so that you would understand that ‘I Am He’—I am the true God. There was no God before me, and there will be no God after me.
11 I myself am the Lord, and there is no other Savior.
12 I am the one who spoke to you, saved you, and told you those things. It was not some stranger who was with you. You are my witnesses, and I am God.” (This is what the Lord himself said.)
13 “I have always been God. When I do something, no one can change what I have done. And no one can save people from my power.” - Isaiah 43 vs 1 - 13
Jacob I know. Israel is God's Chosen people. So, who the fk are you? undecided

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Janosky: 12:59am On Dec 18, 2023
Kobojunkie:

Jacob I know. Israel is God's Chosen people. So, who the fk are you? undecided

@Isaiah 43:10 (ASV) What's the name by which JEHOVAH identifies His chosen servants?

@ Matthew 12:15-18, how did Jesus Christ identify himself?

Where did you learn your use of graphic expletives? From your Bible? grin

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Kobojunkie: 1:02am On Dec 18, 2023
Janosky:
■ @Isaiah 43:10 (ASV) What's the name by which JEHOVAH identifies His chosen servants? Matthew 12:15-18, how did Jesus Christ identify himself?
■ Where did you learn your use of graphic expletives? From your Bible? grin
See this brainwashed teletubby!! He called His chosen people Israel ... see verse 1 grin

2. Oh so your GBs also lied to you that God is afraid of what you consider expletives? I bet you never read in Scripture where John the Baptist, a Prophet of God referred to the Pharisees Sons of Bitches(Broods of Vipers). I bet you are afraid to repeat the same out of fear... grin

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by triplechoice(m): 8:19am On Dec 18, 2023
NowYouKnow:
I registered on nairaland last month and my intention was to make educative posts in the education section but now I am being forced to make a thread here in the religion section.

I have observed that the Organisation I belong to ( Christian Congregation of Jehovah's witnesses) is constantly under attack and to make matters worse, certain individuals claiming to be witnesses have been a contributing factor to the unnecessary attacks on my organisation. Whether these individuals are really members of my organisation is a question I can't answer. But one thing I will tell you is their conduct and speech in this forum does not in anyway represent that of a member of the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's witnesses.

The purpose of this thread is to answer any question anyone may have truthfully and honestly starting with the most common: Are Jehovah's witnesses a cult?

Stay tuned and follow along.

Good you are here .

Though I'm not a witness ,the JW I know outside this furom are mostly well behaved .

The ones here are quick to insult ,abuse you and engage in barefaced lies without shame .

2 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by triplechoice(m): 8:45am On Dec 18, 2023
Kobojunkie:
I honestly don't get this mentality of yours at all. What meaning is there to claiming one thinks outside of the box all the while sitting tight within the same box? undecided

There's some sense in what the op said

Thinking does not involve physical movement. You don't think with your legs..

So it's very possible to sit within the box and still think beyond what is contained in the box

2 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:12am On Dec 18, 2023
triplechoice:

Good you are here .
Though I'm not a witness ,the JW I know outside this furom are mostly well behaved .
The ones here are quick to insult ,abuse you and engage in barefaced lies without shame .

So you think the name "Jehovah's Witnesses" means people who are programmed not to be abusive even though you insult them shey?

Try that with JWs when we're not in the field service nah, in fact some will deal with you to an extent you will never try nonsense with the JW you meet next time.

Christ Jesus didn't teach us to be quiet when a faithless miscreant is accusing us wrongly neither did he teach us to be stupid rather we look at situations surrounding the matter so as to know the next action we will take.

If you don't abuse or insult people no one will do so to you {Matthew 7:12} you can't start calling me names simply because of my faith and expect me to be quiet of course i will put you where you rightly belong! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by triplechoice(m): 9:38am On Dec 18, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

So you think the name "Jehovah's Witnesses" means people who are programmed not to be abusive even though you insult them shey?

Try that with JWs when we're not in the field service nah, in fact some will deal with you to an extent you will never try nonsense with the JW you meet next time.

Christ Jesus didn't teach us to be quiet when a faithless miscreant is accusing us wrongly neither did he teach us to be stupid rather we look at situations surrounding the matter so as to know the next action we will take.

If you don't abuse or insult people no one will do so to you {Matthew 7:12} you can't start calling me names simply because of my faith and expect me to be quiet of course i will put you where you rightly belong! smiley
And you think I don't have family members and friends who are JW to know better . Dey play

2 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:25am On Dec 18, 2023
triplechoice:

And you think I don't have family members and friends who are JW to know better . Dey play
You know better shey?
Continue deceiving yourself.
Why do you think most people come here to say JWs are hypocrites?
Ọmọ it's after trying trash with us and we deal with them that they will start saying such as they took our simplicity for stupidity! wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by triplechoice(m): 10:54am On Dec 18, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

You know better shey?
Continue deceiving yourself.
Why do you think most people come here to say JWs are hypocrites?

Ọmọ it's after trying trash with us and we deal with them that they will start saying such as they took our simplicity for stupidity! wink
@ the bolded, maybe it's because of a few Jw members like you who say one thing in public and do another when no one is watching . You have no qualms to insult people who challenge you here because the forum is faceless.

You are on your own

Speak for yourself and not others

The jws I know personally offline don't behave they way you do .

I admit there are some who misbehave and don't care what others think of their misbehaviour ,but not all of them do so as you want the public to believe .

You are a different kind of Jw who takes delight in insulting others . That's the truth and you know it .

2 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Organiccourses: 11:20am On Dec 18, 2023
triplechoice:

@ the bolded, maybe it's because of a few Jw members like you who say one thing in public and do another when no one is watching . You have no qualms to insult people who challenge you here because the forum is faceless.

You are on your own

The jws I know personally offline don't behave they way you do .

I admit there are some who misbehave and don't care what others think of their misbehaviour ,but not all of them do so as you want the public to believe .

You are a different kind of Jw who takes delight in insulting others . That's the truth and you know it .

I see know difference between that guy and Bokoharam or Hamas, he's an extremist and most extremist are hypocrites. In my over 50 years of knowing Jehovah's witnesses , they do not insult people they rather keep quiet and walk away. The Op asked him to walk away on this thread but he's still here tarnishing images of the witnesses

2 Likes

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:52am On Dec 18, 2023
triplechoice:

You are on your own
The jws I know personally offline don't behave they way you do . I admit there are some who misbehave and don't care what others think of their misbehaviour ,but not all of them do so as you want the public to believe . You are a different kind of Jw who takes delight in insulting others . That's the truth and you know it.

Continue deceiving yourself!

Jesus gave us an assignment to preach from house to house and door to door {Matthew 10:11-13} so on that note we aren't representing ourselves when we come to your house to preach (plead) he commanded us to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves while handling the assignment he gave us! Matthew 10:16
But then when we are not at your doorstep to preach you decided to treat us like trash after knowing that this person is one of those that used to come preaching then you decided to treat us the same way you did when we're at your doorstep.
Ọmọ you will regret your action because at that time we are going on our normal daily lives. For instance present a sip of alcoholic beverage to any member of Jehovah's Witnesses while we are going to preach from house to house none of us will take it from you but does that mean JWs don't take alcoholic beverages?
Guy stop deceiving yourself JWs are normal humans like everyone else the only difference is the assignment we carry out in our neighbourhood but it doesn't mean we're stupid o! wink

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:55am On Dec 18, 2023
Organiccourses:

I see know difference between that guy and Bokoharam or Hamas, he's an extremist and most extremist are hypocrites. In my over 50 years of knowing Jehovah's witnesses , they do not insult people they rather keep quiet and walk away. The Op asked him to walk away on this thread but he's still here tarnishing images of the witnesses

Continue deceiving yourself assuming members of a religion are programmed not to get annoyed even if you insult them. grin

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by triplechoice(m): 1:06pm On Dec 18, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Continue deceiving yourself!

Jesus gave us an assignment to preach from house to house and door to door {Matthew 10:11-13} so on that note we aren't representing ourselves when we come to your house to preach (plead) he commanded us to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves while handling the assignment he gave us! Matthew 10:16
But then when we are not at your doorstep to preach you decided to treat us like trash after knowing that this person is one of those that used to come preaching then you decided to treat us the same way you did when we're at your doorstep.
Ọmọ you will regret your action because at that time we are going on our normal daily lives. For instance present a sip of alcoholic beverage to any member of Jehovah's Witnesses while we are going to preach from house to house none of us will take it from you but does that mean JWs don't take alcoholic beverages?
Guy stop deceiving yourself JWs are normal humans like everyone else the only difference is the assignment we carry out in our neighbourhood but it doesn't mean we're stupid o! wink

Speak for yourself Maximus

The person who opened this thread obviously did so because of you . And it's because ,according to him ,you and your other Jws here are not representing the group very well with the way you react to comments about your organisation .

This is not about your irrelevant talk of drinking alcoholic beverages and the others you want to bring in .

Face him and not me . Prove you are a better and well behaved JW than him
That's all.

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:18pm On Dec 18, 2023
triplechoice:

Speak for yourself Maximus

You hate the truth, nah your type go join JWs and later start telling stories about how some members later treated you.
The truth is bitter, there's no organization of worshipers where people are programmed not to insult you if you insult them the only thing we must do is never get angry while going out for the field service.
As for your friend you're free to believe him it's when you face reality that you will remember me! wink

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Kobojunkie: 2:54pm On Dec 18, 2023
triplechoice:
There's some sense in what the op said Thinking does not involve physical movement. You don't think with your legs.. So it's very possible to sit within the box and still think beyond what is contained in the box
Try to keep up please! undecided

Op stated that he strongly opposes one thr major views of the organization, a view that directly impacts the development of the youths in the group which he remains a supported of.
NowYouKnow:
I strongly disagree with their view of higher education. The organisation makes use of professional and qualified experts in their broadcast services from graphic designers, video editors, sound engineers etc... Discouraging higher in my opinion is wrong when you make use of professionals..
I liken this to one who proclaims with his tongue to be an atheist all the while attending Christian religious services every other week or similar. What is the point of one action when the other supports the very opposite of what one claims? lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by Sand2022: 1:17pm On Dec 21, 2023
NowYouKnow:

Jehovah's Witnesses abstain from celebrating birthdays due to our interpretation of certain biblical principles. While the Bible does mention birthday celebrations, it is in a context that Jehovah's Witnesses believe associates them with practices that go against our religious beliefs.

For example, in the Bible, both instances of birthday celebrations involve negative outcomes: Pharaoh's birthday celebration (Genesis 40:20-22) and King Herod's birthday party, where John the Baptist was beheaded (Matthew 14:6-10). Jehovah's Witnesses take these instances as indications that birthday celebrations are not aligned with our understanding of biblical principles.

Additionally, we strive to avoid any customs or traditions that have pagan or non-Christian origins. Since the historical roots of birthday celebrations can be traced back to various pagan practices, we Jehovah's Witnesses choose not to partake in them as a matter of religious conviction.

That is basically the case, but not entirely so. They avoid any celebration or any item with pagan religious origin, and still retains that pagan religious significance in the area the witness lives. The main point is the religious significance. Once the religious significance is off, a witness in such area can engage in it.

Birthdays in most cases don't even have religious meaning in most areas of the world. In most cases, the celebration is purely secular. I agree that most witnesses don't seem to understand this fact.

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses A Cult Organisation? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:05pm On Dec 21, 2023
Sand2022:

Birthdays in most cases don't even have religious meaning in most areas of the world. In most cases, the celebration is purely secular. I agree that most witnesses don't seem to understand this fact.
Birthday celebration is not purely secular!

I'm from a religiously divided family, some are real Traditionalists, some claim Christians and others are Muslims. The Traditionalists in my family are deeply rooted in it so i learned a lot from them. Traditionalists use their birthdays to celebrate themselves so most of them often do something to be commemorated annually when they're no more.
The Israelites don't do anything as such when it comes to birthday celebrations they just don't think of it as most servants of God among them were INSPIRED to write bad things about birthdays! Job 3:3; Ecclesiastes 7:1; Jeremiah 20:14

Jesus Christ commanded his friends to remember the date he died not his birthday.

That's the HERITAGE of God's people: JEHOVAH'S PEOPLE! Isaiah 54:17b

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Quran The Vase He Did Not Understand / Australian Man Claims To Be Reincarnation Of Jesus / Akintoba: An Atheist From Nigeria

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.