Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,455 members, 7,853,992 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 09:08 AM

Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress - Nairaland / General (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress (36457 Views)

Canada’s Global Talent: Get A Work Permit In As Little As 2 Weeks! / Show The Tangible Progress, Not Your Butts, Reno Omokri Reacts At #10yearschall / 5 Reasons Why You’re Not Making Progress In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by airsaylongcome: 12:42pm On Dec 21, 2023
SirLakes:

I no get the strength sir grin

Who told you those site don't show up on Google search grin

Where is it documented that they don't get crawled

Lol...me too I no get the strength. Know that getting crawled doesn't mean that you get returned in a search. Anyway have a great strength filled day
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by ozoono(m): 12:43pm On Dec 21, 2023
AncientAlien:

I have been trying the website almost hour upon an hour since the outrage. Lucky for me it goes through like magic this time around. good to hear. cheesy cheesy one malt for everyone here
Bros should I drop my aza so u send my malt money please
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by jelinco1982(m): 12:44pm On Dec 21, 2023
Well done Mr Seun.
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Emeka71(m): 12:46pm On Dec 21, 2023
NoToPile:
All duly noted

Hopefully when all is totally well, you will put measures in place to ensure this doesn't happen again.
On this trusted site.
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by LordTheus(m): 12:50pm On Dec 21, 2023
delpee:

Well done but you need to work harder on moderation. People need to be more civil and decent in their interactions with others. Tribalists and those who are intolerant of other's religions need to be dealt with. Freedom of expression is no reason why one should bully, intimidate or infuriate others.

Let Nairaland go back to the years of intelligent discourse which is what attracted most of us to the site back then. May God guide and help you to full restoration and higher glory.

Exactly my sentiments. Hopefully, Seun sees this.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by ViktorCash: 12:52pm On Dec 21, 2023
Nairaland was taken down by Russian hackers grin
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Holluwhakemmy(f): 12:53pm On Dec 21, 2023
Thank God Nairaland is back
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by ComeToJesus: 12:54pm On Dec 21, 2023
Good one bro.

Please activate all necessary buffers to avoid a repeat. Like you earlier stated, it has humbled you. Never read a very humbling remark from you like this.

All the same, please do the necessary housekeeping. Moderation should also be on the front burner because it could be a steaming miasma of hate and abuses in here some times.

Praying for you and the technical team.

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Adeyinka12(m): 12:56pm On Dec 21, 2023
Thank God nairaland is partially back, but it's really embarrassing. Please upgrade nairaland from this mess and future occurrence.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by SirLakes: 12:58pm On Dec 21, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Lol...me too I no get the strength. Know that getting crawled doesn't mean that you get returned in a search. Anyway have a great strength filled day
Thanks 🤝
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by phosky(m): 1:00pm On Dec 21, 2023
thank God you re back grin
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Austineva(m): 1:02pm On Dec 21, 2023
grin grin grin most tribalistic site is back again 🚶🚶🚶🚶
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by DrTee1(m): 1:05pm On Dec 21, 2023
May I register my happiness to see that Nairaland is back up.

We would survive this together, Seun.

God bless you!

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by DiamondPant(f): 1:07pm On Dec 21, 2023
AncientAlien:

This yah bank get as e be o cheesy
Yes oo.
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by gotnel: 1:08pm On Dec 21, 2023
LAXconfidential:
Guys, let this be a warning for all of us to stop all the tribal and antisemitic comments if we truly love Nairaland ❤
Thats all I can say for now.
You have said the truth.
It is very important for all nairalanders to be civil and patriotic from now on.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by hkidola00(m): 1:08pm On Dec 21, 2023
den why is inec upturning results
kings59:
Please, no more Bigots

Everybody should do things the right way.

We all can do this.

Like the post if you missed Nairaland when it was down for days.
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by FIRDAUS3(m): 1:10pm On Dec 21, 2023
Seun:
Dear Nairalanders and Advertisers.

Nairaland's server was taken down by our host's abuse team because of an abuse report that wasn't attended to on time.

After rectifying the error, we brought the server back for a few minutes, but they decided to take the server down again. Since then, we haven't heard from the abuse team, yet the support team keeps insisting that only the abuse team can help us.

So we had to transfer Nairaland to a temporary host in order to bring it back to you. A VERY time-consuming process. We are not fully back, even though most features of the site are working. We still have a long way to go. Additional downtime is likely; don't let it alarm you.

There's a lot more to say, but I have to go back to work to ensure that our return is permanent. Please forgive us for the stress we caused. We appreciate the love and support that you showed us during the ordeal. Nairaland is too important for us to let this happen again.

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.

It seems some of your Mods don Belle fu, oga, comot some and replace them with AI grin

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by MisterKennedy(m): 1:13pm On Dec 21, 2023
Seun:

Nairaland's server was taken down by our host's abuse team because of an abuse report that wasn't attended to on time.

After rectifying the error, we brought the server back for a few minutes, but they decided to take the server down again. Since then, we haven't heard from the abuse team, yet the support team keeps insisting that only the abuse team can help us.

So we had to transfer Nairaland to a temporary host in order to bring it back to you. A VERY time-consuming process. We are not fully back, even though most features of the site are working. We still have a long way to go. Additional downtime is likely; don't let it alarm you.

There's a lot more to say, but I have to go back to work to ensure that our return is permanent. Please forgive us for the stress we caused. We appreciate the love and support that you showed us during the ordeal. Nairaland is too important for us to let this happen again.

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.

Good afternoon Mr. Seun

Sir please let me work for Nairaland. Let me work for you sir. I'm well-versed in web development. And I can also act as one of the admins troubleshooting any threats to the Nairaland server and rectifying any abuse.
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by bravehost4u(m): 1:13pm On Dec 21, 2023
This only made me realize how this site has become a part of me without knowing
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by TotoIsGud4boy: 1:16pm On Dec 21, 2023
sulaimon22:
@Seun I hope you listen to what people are telling you on Twitter. A lot of abuse is going on here and you really need to do something about it or else the end is near for your platform.
Which end? Lol you just be saying anything …
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Pio44: 1:18pm On Dec 21, 2023
Pls fix it fast we are missing u
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by LordIsaac(m): 1:19pm On Dec 21, 2023
Seun:

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.
More grease Sir. I didn’t know what to do with my spare time when the site was down. I then understood what the site meant to me. God will see you through this glitch (Amen).

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by duro4real(m): 1:22pm On Dec 21, 2023
good God thank you, I have been incomplete since this forum has been down. This is my second home. Seun pls up ur game to avoid future occurrence. I can now smile,
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by omohayek: 1:25pm On Dec 21, 2023
airsaylongcome:

It's comments like this that got the website taken down in the first place. I know your defense will be "I did not mention any name". But oyibo people are not fools or hypocrites like us. More tribalistic comments like this will surely have the website taken down again by its new host
As odious as the tribalism on this site can get, even the most blatantly tribalistic insults wouldn't have been even close to being enough to trigger a site takedown by a hosting service. Even sites which host much more intense manifestations of hatred are allowed to stay up undisturbed as long as they don't cross certain lines, such as calls for violence, propagandizing on behalf of proscribed terrorist groups, hosting images of gore (e.g. the sorts of images associated with IPOB killings), or "doxxing" and other forms of harassment of particular individuals. I'm sure that if Seun ever feels inclined to go into the details, it will become obvious that something of the sort of behavior I mentioned was to blame.

What is clear from all of this is, at least to me, is that Seun's unwillingness to invest in improving the technology behind this website is now coming back to bite him. As I've said numerous times, relying solely on manual moderation isn't scalable, nor can human moderators be relied upon to be objective, especially when it comes to comments involving their own tribes. Automated content moderation is something any big site has to have to keep the trolls in line, but Seun seems uninterested in either adding it himself or bringing onboard others who can help him implement it, which is now he is now needing to find new permanent hosting in a hurry.

7 Likes

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by yewit37486: 1:28pm On Dec 21, 2023
Sheggy13:

If you did report any kind of tribal abuse, whether it's only those directed at your tribe or any other tribe, then fair play to you. What I have found out is that most Nigerians are hypocrites. They've been celebrating on twitter over Nairaland inacess for the past few days, because to them their tribes or favorite politicians are abused here. Hardcore tribalists for that matter. They don't care about their own tribesmen insulting other tribes. They even laugh over it.

If you are an objective person, you would see there was a clear consensus on twitter that the tribalism and bigotry on nairaland needs to END regardless of which tribe it is from. If you equate that to "celebrating on twitter" then you are likely part of the problem. No matter how big the TRUTH is, it needs to be spoken.
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Pootle: 1:28pm On Dec 21, 2023
noted we know the set of ppl wey report you...this life and bad belle na 5&6
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by omohayek: 1:29pm On Dec 21, 2023
motionarena:

So cloudflare has mind to take you down for days.
Despite money you pay to them.
Which just goes to show how the bad the reported behavior must been for a hosting service to discard a loyal paying customer of 9 years. Whatever it was must have been far, far worse than the garden variety tribalistic insults that are Nairaland's bread and butter.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by adewale2011(m): 1:31pm On Dec 21, 2023
Better be parmanent o!!! Because am already addicted to this site.
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by YoungBlackRico(m): 1:31pm On Dec 21, 2023
yewit37486:

If you are an objective person, you would see there was a clear consensus on twitter that the tribalism and bigotry on nairaland needs to END regardless of which tribe it is from. If you equate that to "celebrating on twitter" then you are likely part of the problem. No matter how big the TRUTH is, it needs to be spoken.
yes a 'consensus' from a certain region of the country. undecided
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by Unclefemolala(m): 1:32pm On Dec 21, 2023
Omoooo..after 3 days
Re: Nairaland Is Partially Back; A Work In Progress by BJanta: 1:32pm On Dec 21, 2023
Crieff:
Keep alternatives and offsite backups.

Will you pay for them?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

"Young Alhaji" Helps Displaced People Of Agatu With Food Items. / Douzy - The Individual / This Big Python Was Killed By My Neighbours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.