Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

My Journey To Ikoyi Prison - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Journey To Ikoyi Prison (6106 Views)

Lady Studied Law To Get Her Father Out Of Prison (Photos) / All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court / My Journey To Motherhood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Samuelojonla123(m): 9:33am On Dec 22, 2023
Someone is still telling his story of what he went through in the prison, una don start to derail thread with useless arguments.....

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by 9182736455O1999(m): 9:54am On Dec 22, 2023
I'll be back.

5 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by elpochas: 11:12am On Dec 22, 2023
Clinghton:
If Nigeria is hell on earth what do you expect its cell to be.
Hell in Hell.
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by papyjaypaul: 11:55am On Dec 22, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Interesting! The governor is able to seek permission to free inmates but not to improve condition of the inmates in the prisons? Continue! undecided

The one contributor above mentioned he took food stuff to the prison of his own to help alleviate their hunger but you wish for us to believe instead that a government able to work to free inmates cannot do even that much. lipsrsealed
The State is not in charge of prisons, there is no need to stretch it further. Go and read the constitution or speak to lawmakers about this. It is under exclusive list and you have been told already.

5 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by KashApp: 12:11pm On Dec 22, 2023
Sorry about your experience, man. Chai
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Neddstark: 12:11pm On Dec 22, 2023
Samuelojonla123:
Someone is still telling his story of what he went through in the prison, una don start to derail thread with useless arguments.....

Eg, the psychopath kobojunkie

8 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by CHRISTFUCKER: 12:44pm On Dec 22, 2023
Nothing fit carry me prison or cell upon all the crimes I day commit

E be like say na my innocent face
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Orire01(m): 1:26pm On Dec 22, 2023
Thread is getting derailed......Little by little.
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Rickmann: 1:50pm On Dec 22, 2023
Eskoba:
Good evening fellow Nigerians and nairalanders reading my story.

I'm about sharing the story of my life as a single father and how I landed in ikoyi prison and my release.

First of all before I commence with my story I will love to give a special shout out to my aged mother for staying with me during these tough times despite being a widow without any source of income. Please help me say a prayer to her that may she reap the fruits of her labour.

Back to my story, my misfortune started when I started working as a dispatcher for a company. I wouldn't lie I was totally at fault for my ordeal but it wasn't intentional as I had to divert the company's funds for my personal issue(my son's health)

I was arrested and taken to court by my employer and was remanded at ikoyi prison pending was bail was perfected.

I was 13 months of my life in prison. I will share my experiences in prison soon.

Also, I'm glad my son I spent all these money on was hale and hearty as I came back from prison because I promised him I was gonna celebrate this Xmas with him despite sending the last Xmas in prison and I'm glad God made it possible even if I don't have money to get him a Xmas clothes.

I will be right back to share my experience here

Prison will make u appreciate alot of things especially the freedom you are enjoying outside its walls.

Say no to crime.

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Rickmann: 1:51pm On Dec 22, 2023
Thazard:
Mhen I haven't been to prison before but the day I slept in cell due to anger issue ehn...

Wetin I experience that day my mouth no fit talk.

I just decided to share my story

I was stripped at the counter and taken to my cell.As soon as I got in there,one of the bulky guy seemingly the leader and his gangs came to me asking of cell money.Then as an ajebo,I was terrified and I lied that It was on my clothes at the counter.

I was told to hang myself on the tiny window close to the roof and heavy hands were falling on my back. I remained that way until I couldn't endure it any longer and I fell down.I was pitied and shown my spot to sit.

In the evening,I was beginning to get really hungry and some of the cell mate organized money and bought yale bread (the carton) and a bag of pure water.It was distribution amongst all of us. Despite my pain,I felt touched by the caring spirit of all.Of course the bread couldn't go round some had to tear their bread into two and give to their cell mates.

I was really touched by the spirit of brotherhood.In the morning,my family brought food for me to eat and I shared to the cellmate.some didn't want to make me feel short on my right so they refused to eat.Mhen the care their is really mind touching.

I spent two nights there.The next Sunday,I didn't go to church.i went straight to the market and bought a carton of yale bread and #500 groundnut which I took to the station.

The policewomen were happy that I remembered those I left in there but one of them took one of the bread for herself despite my plea that the inmate were hungry.I was told to go give them what I brought.

Some of them were shocked that I came back
For them. Perhaps I was one of the few who ever did that.

I haven't really been financially okay else I would like to do something for them on Christmas day.

Time still dey,may God help me!

Our cells and prisons inmates needs help from the government.

I wouldn't like to spend my time there again maybe unless for visitation and givings

God forbid bad thing!

Commendable gesture bro.
God bless you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by trueking: 4:32pm On Dec 22, 2023
Come continue
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Houseontherock1: 4:58pm On Dec 22, 2023
Chimookigwe:

I can show you pictures of Governors decorating Police officers but are you aware that the Governor can't employ or sack a single Policeman.

But the governor can provide patrol vans, bikes and other forms of empowerment to make their work easier undecided
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Chimookigwe: 5:00pm On Dec 22, 2023
Houseontherock1:

But the governor can provide patrol vans and bikes to make their work easier undecided

The LSETF in Lagos does that.
Even one of the former Governors of Anambra built a prison for children when his mates in other states were building schools.
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by hstar: 8:32pm On Dec 22, 2023
Samuelojonla123:
Someone is still telling his story of what he went through in the prison,

una don start to derail thread with useless arguments.....

Na dat yeye kobojunkie o angry

She knows nothing than to argue on nairaland

Yeye argument with nothing to show for it

6 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by richiemcgold: 9:07pm On Dec 22, 2023
The op is šŸ’Æ right on that talent aspect. There are many talents & potentials rotting away in our prisons. Rappers, comedians, singers Dem plenty for prison. Many pastors and motivational speakers too.
Prisoners dey pray well well o. I mean very serious and powerful prayer sessions where inmates will go in trance and be speaking in tongues. You'll be wondering what exactly brought these kind of people to prison.

4 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Lance008(m): 10:41pm On Dec 22, 2023
richiemcgold:
The op is šŸ’Æ right on that talent aspect. There are many talents & potentials rotting away in our prisons. Rappers, comedians, singers Dem plenty for prison. Many pastors and motivational speakers too.
Prisoners dey pray well well o. I mean very serious and powerful prayer sessions where inmates will go in trance and be speaking in tongues. You'll be wondering what exactly brought these kind of people to prison.
Many Na hot temper
Been provoked

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 11:15pm On Dec 22, 2023
My acct was suspended for 24hrs. I'm just coming back online, I guess someone reported my post

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 11:22pm On Dec 22, 2023
GboyegaD:
It is well. My experience in the cell was in 1998 and it was about 4 hours. The police picked me up during their raid at Tincan Island. I was slapped by a useless police officer because I asked for his warrant of arrest. My mom had to bail me with N2500. She was there when I was picked and asked the question. She had to beg me to follow the police men because for me, I felt I was been humiliated on my right.

The cell was pretty empty and sincerely, I slept off where I sat. I guess it was because I knew my mom was surely coming to bail me that very day.

Sorry about your story but 13 months was such a long time. Were you able to pay back the money?
I just came out few weeks ago. I'm still down, hopefully I will get a job next year so I can start earning something for myself and my son. My complainant didn't take it easy on me hence d reason I stayed long.

I will also appreciate any form of financial assistance to get a Christmas cloth for my son. I'm failing as a father

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 11:27pm On Dec 22, 2023
Tbc

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by BikoMERCYme(f): 1:55am On Dec 23, 2023
Eskoba:
My acct was suspended for 24hrs. I'm just coming back online, I guess someone reported my post

No bot banned u......
Nothingto report bout this........
Pls continue........
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 8:58am On Dec 23, 2023
Good morning all.

Sorry for updating the thread late, a mod banned me for reasons I don't know yet..

So story continues,

We went through some documentation, orientation.
Later that day, we were shown where to make calls to family, we pay 20 naira per mins, some prison warders are in charge.

I was able to reach my mother to know the situation of things if my bail can be perfected but I didn't get a positive reply. All hope was lost, I knew I was in for a long ride.

So were given d grace to walk around the premises of the prison, there I notice the prison had Two churches, one mosque, canteen, a learning center where u can write waec, neco, jamb and also gain admission into Noun and have lectures, also vocational training centers to learn handiwork.

But trust me, most of these things aren't free and also u must know person before u can be given grace to enjoy from it.

Also, they do sports frequently in the prison yard especially Football. They hosted competitions almost everytime.

There were crazy rich men in prison who help in sponsoring the tournaments, this rich men have their own separate cell called "F ward" commonly called "booster".

I will be back to talk about the the wards, especially life in booster

5 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by thatsleepboy1: 9:08am On Dec 23, 2023
Eskoba:
Good evening fellow Nigerians and nairalanders reading my story.

I'm also a dispatch rider, it is reasons like this that made me to stop salary work and move to weekly remittance.
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 9:11am On Dec 23, 2023
thatsleepboy1:

I'm also a dispatch rider, it is reasons like this that made me to stop salary work and move to weekly remittance.
it's a very long story and long walk but I thank God for giving me another gace

2 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Danremmy: 10:06am On Dec 23, 2023
MehnšŸ˜„
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 1:30pm On Dec 23, 2023
So talking about the cell wards we have.

Iso days passed by and we kept suffering, so one of those days, I bumped into one of my area brothers(egbon adugbo) he was suprised to see me in d situation I was, he has also been in prison for over 4 years and still counting(armed robbery, cultism and stealing) he was already one of those big leaders in prison.

He took me to his cell and I narrated what brought me there and how I have Been suffering in the welcome cell. Immediately he took me to his cell section 01 and told him he wants me to be in his cell.

The section gave me options, 40k to sleep on bed, 25k to sleep beside bed, 10k to sleep under bed or sleep in jankara for free, after all several negotiations to pay twice for sleeping beside bed. We agreed to bargain on 15k. I was to pay twice so I called my mom again and explained to her my situation, she ran shelter skelter and helped me send the money.

That was how I changed cell to B ward and started sleeping beside bed with two others.

There is "A ward" were u can pay a minimum of 100k for bed space

There is "B ward" were u can pay a minimum of 50k for bed space

There is "C ward" were u can pay a minimum of 100k for bed space

There is "D ward" were u can pay a minimum of 70k for bed space

There is "E ward" (New) were u can pay a minimum of 150k for bed space

There is the "F ward" commonly called booster for vip were u can pay a minimum of 400k for bed space monthly.

Those in A, B and F wards have privileges others don't have.

I will come back to share more

1 Like

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by rdsco(m): 4:10am On Dec 24, 2023

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by FaithELEFAN(f): 4:52am On Dec 24, 2023
I have read this story on nairaland before
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by FaithELEFAN(f): 4:52am On Dec 24, 2023
Eskoba:
it's a very long story and long walk but I thank God for giving me another gace
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 5:43am On Dec 24, 2023
rdsco:
Sorry about your experience.

I'm guessing F ward is where H-money, mompha, white people, politicians, killaboi and other rich criminals are taken to where they use phones, "conjugal visits" and other amenities.
u aren't far from d truth
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Eskoba: 5:43am On Dec 24, 2023
FaithELEFAN:

go and read that then
Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by lavylilly: 8:29am On Dec 24, 2023
I donā€™t like to remember or talk about my prison experience, the reason why I have been mute about it all through. The life there is sickening! It is an experience that can drain you for life. Iā€™m not talking about prison in general, Iā€™m talking about the the NIGERIAN PRISON. Nigeria is ruined tbh. And I donā€™t think we would ever get out of this terrible state till death. I am not being negative, Iā€™m a very optimistic person but I have seen it all trust me.

To start with, I think Nigeria is the only country where you are accused for something and without proof or evidence to show, you can be in jail for the rest of your life. If you know you donā€™t have families to fight for you, please donā€™t be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Do you know there are teenagers in the Nigerian prison Small boys barely 18 are there for Crimes they did not commit or know absolutely nothing about?

While I was there, there was this boy they always call chin- chin in my cell. I kept wondering why they always called him that and asked him one day - Guy come here, why do they call you chin-chin all the time? guess his reply? ā€œi was hungry and I stole chin chinā€ that was what brought him to prison. He looked gentle. I was 100% sure the boy is barely 20 years old. My heart was filled with tears but I could not cry so he doesnā€™t feel too bad. I asked again, are you sure that is what brought you here? He said ā€œnothing else broā€ and I was shocked! I guess he does not have people to fight for him, or probably his parents/family are tired of trying. If you know what it cost to get out of prison, you will be shocked! Everything Iā€™m saying to you right now is real. No jokes. There was another young guy, I was particular about these young boys cos I kept wondering what they would have done to be in prison. If you see guys 30-40 years old in there, true or not you will lowkey feel they committed the crime. But not these young boys.

There was this boy, he works for his oga, the oga just came one day and accused him of stealing 200k from his shop. The boy said he barely stayed 3 days in a police cell before he was brought to prison. A boy barely 20 years old! No proper investigation, nothing was done! I thought Prison was for people with serious cases. people who have been convicted for crimes committed with ā€œevidenceā€ or they were caught in the act When did it turn a place for keeping suspects like small boys? You know what made this particular case worse? It is the fact that the parent/ family of the boy wanted to settle out of court. Saying sir, please give us 2 months, we would pay so and so monthly to cover up but the OGA did not agree. It was hurting!!!

The boy, I had to ask him again, Just gist me guy, did you move this money? He was like ā€œbros, we are here together. There is absolutely nothing to be corny about, I did not steal his money.ā€ Argh! I lost hope in Nigeria! This time a tear dropped!

Iā€™m talking about serving you garri with no sugar! Just raw garri in plates. No sugar, water, milk or anything to it. Just raw garri for your chewing pleasure. There are about 3 or 4 foods in the Nigerian prison. Watery beans and dead ass garri. The garri are those ones that blind your eyes over time when you eat them too much. Yes you heard me correctly. At some point, these inmates donā€™t see properly again, cos too much of this garri.

The other is Eba and egusi, they wonā€™t even make the eba well to start with, talk more of the egusi, it feels like hell fire. Egusi that taste like water. Guys what does water taste like again? It is tasteless!!! And they served rice. Will be honest with you guys, this was the only average food I could eat. Not cos it was sweet, but aspa u can chew rice alone now. Cos the stew was trash. Imagine putting 2-3 spoons of stew inside 2 paint of rice. Yeah thatā€™s what it felt like. It was hell. That was the only food every one eats, cos at least you can eat raw rice and still be fine Letā€™s leave the food part.

We move to the numbers in the cells. Here is probably the toughest part of it all, if itā€™s time to sleep, itā€™s time to cry. Think about this, look at your room; look around very well. It is just you right? Yeah itā€™s comfort and you donā€™t want anyone else. Imagine if your room had like 200 people inside it. Just the thought of it alone is sickening right? Thatā€™s how the NIGERIAN PRISON is. Imagine them placing like over 200 inmates in one room. Now forget about if They committed the crimes or not. Actualize what Iā€™m saying here. A small room filled with 200+ people. Do you know what it feels like You canā€™t even fucking breath ! Talkless of sleeping !!!

I fucking paid to sleep under a bed! Yes there are payments in the Nigerian prison. Everytime they bring in a new inmate, the prison guards are angry and its understandable. The marshals of each cell are angry and it is understandable. Too many persons, too little space!

I paid about N10,0000 (10k) to sleep under a bed. Full time bed space cost about 30k or so. I could not afford that at that time. If you would keep inmates, for crimes committed or not! At least put them in a safe and comfortable place. Not like you are leaving them to die. Imagine me paying 10k to sleep under a bed. You should understand what it felt like to sleep in the general place. They sleep on top of each other. Yehhhh! You heard me right. They sleep in chains! People sleep on top of you.

U canā€™t fucking move your legs! Ah I was ready to go to hell then. Cos earth was trash and the life and stress was not worth it. Guys, there are thousands of inmates who did not do shit and are in jail! The Nigerian police do not do proper investigation, please watch yourselves.

Know your movements and do not stay out too late. You could be the next person for doing absolutely nothing. Nigeria can never be better. Care for yourself and your family till death
Copied

5 Likes

Re: My Journey To Ikoyi Prison by Hamachi(f): 8:52am On Dec 24, 2023
Hmmm... This just took me back memory lane. Spent a week for a crime I knew nothing of. The only meal I ate was when a fellowship/church brought Jollof rice on Sunday.

The first day I got in, the 'Elder' called me and was giving me options of paying for better sleeping space. I dey form 'street', because it was in the afternoon and there were few persons in the cell. When it got to about 5/6pm (can't remember exactly) when the cell gates were to be locked, omo see people coming into that one cell. I fought tears that day.

Prison, Nigerian Prison I mean, is not a place you wish for your enemy, especially when you are unfortunate to be in 'jankara'...

For female inmates they use clothes or rags as pad cry

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

40th Birthday Gift Idea To A Well Deserving Wife? / Private University In Nigeria Vs Usa University Education / Why Will You Want To Sleep With Another Man's Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.