Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal (13925 Views)

CBN Special Investigator Rejects Lemo’s Request To Reschedule Meeting / Emefiele Operated 593 Illegal US, UK, China Accounts – CBN Investigator / Buhari Appoints Tunde Lemo As FERMA Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by Morbeta11(m): 6:35am On Dec 26, 2023

The Special CBN Investigator, Jim Obazee, has summoned the Chairman of Titan Trust Bank, Babatunde Lemo, in connection with the acquisition of Union Bank of Nigeria Plc by TTB.

The TTB chairman, a former deputy governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, was directed to report at the Department of Force Intelligence opposite the Force headquarters, Shehu Shagari Way, Abuja on Thursday, where he is expected to be questioned over the UBN acquisition.

Lemo was further instructed to come along with the promoters of TTB, Messrs Cornelius Vink and Mr Rahul Savara, to meet with the team of special Investigators.

Lemo was invited in a letter dated December 24, 2023, and signed by the Head of Operations, Office of the Special Investigator, DCP Eloho Okpoziakpo.

Obazee had in his report alleged that some persons were used as proxies by a former CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, to set up Titan Trust Bank and acquire Union Bank.

Obazee, who was appointed special investigator in July, 2023, submitted his final report tagged, ‘Report of the Special Investigation on CBN and Related Entities (Chargeable offences) to the Presidency on December 20, 2023.

In two separate reports on the acquisition of UBN and Keystone Bank submitted to President Bola Tinubu last Wednesday, the Special Investigator also alleged that Emefiele used proxies to acquire Keystone Bank without evidence of payment.

’When we carried out investigation, we discovered that some persons were used as proxies by Mr Godwin Emefiele to set up Titan Trust Bank and acquire Union Bank therefrom, all from ill-gotten wealth.

‘’We were able to secure some documents and investigation reports will lead to the forfeiture of the two banks to the Federal Government. We have completed our investigation on this acquisition and have also held meetings with the relevant parties except for Mr Cornelis Vink (that is currently hospitalised in Switzerland).

‘’Otherwise, we are on the verge of recovering these two banks for the Federal Government,’’ Obazee claimed in his letter.

Following media reports on the UBN deal, Lemo in an interview with Sunday PUNCH insisted that the acquisition of the bank followed due process and met all regulatory requirements, including that of the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Central Bank of Nigeria.

He insisted that the establishment of Titan Trust Bank and the subsequent acquisition of Union Bank were transparent and duly verified by the relevant regulatory bodies.

However, in furtherance of the investigation into the UBN deal, and in response to Lemo’s defence, the investigator in the letter titled, RE: CBN investigation activities: Invitation for a follow-up meeting with the Special Investigator,’ took the TTB chairman to task on his defence.

The letter read, ‘’Please, refer to your discussion with the Special Investigator earlier today regarding the offensive defence that your good self issued in PUNCH newspapers, on behalf of TTB which you chair, as well as the email you sent to the Special Investigator today wherein you tried to provide clarification on your reaction to the report on TTB.

’The defence seems contrary to the statements, made under caution, by the persons connected with these transactions, including your good self, before the Special Investigator at the Department of State Service in August 2023.

‘’In the said newspapers, you referred to both Cornelius Vink and Rahul Savara as “prominent global entrepreneurs and having thriving businesses in Nigeria…”

‘’In your email as well as your earlier discussion with the Special Investigator, you suggested that both of them be invited to provide clarification on their share ownership and given seven days to make such clarification; failure which they will forfeit their shares to the Federal Government of Nigeria.

‘’We are surprised at your request with regard to these two shareholders. They were given this opportunity via a letter to them dated 28th August 2023 (copy attached as Appendix 1).

‘’Instead of honouring the invitation and providing the requested documents, we received a letter from the Company Secretary of Union Bank, Somuyiwa Sonubi, dated 1st September 2023, informing the Special Investigator that Mr. Cornelius Vink was out of the country on medical grounds and that both “Messrs Vink and Savara will be available for the meeting as soon as they are in Nigeria which will be soon” (copy attached as Appendix 2).

‘’Up until this offensive defence that you put in the public domain, the Special Investigator has neither heard from them nor received the requested documents.”

However, when The PUNCH examined the letter written by Union Bank to the Special Investigator (referenced Appendix 2 above), the lender stated it was submitting all “the documents/information requested for in printed and electronic formats for ease of your review and analysis” alongside the letter.

As of press time, The PUNCH could not independently verify why the special investigator did get the documents as claimed above. Also, our correspondent could not verify if the Special investigator replied the Union Bank to demand explanation as to why the documents claimed to have been submitted alongside the letter were not attached.

Meanwhile, in the latest letter summoning Lemo for a follow-up meeting, the Office of the Special Investigator said, ‘’Accordingly, you are hereby invited to come along with Messrs Cornelius Vink and Mr Rahul Savara to meet with the Team of Special Investigators by 2pm on 28th December 2023 at the Department of Force Intelligence, Opposite Nigeria Police Force Headquarters, Shehu Shagari Way, Area 11, Garki, Abuja; without fail or excuse. ‘’

The letter added, ‘’Please, inform them to come along with all the documents/information requested from them by the letter to Mr Cornelius Vink dated 28th August 2023 (attached herewith as Appendix 1). You will also be required to make additional statements to your earlier statement on that day.

‘’Kindly note that if Messrs Cornelius Vink and Rahul Savara refuse to attend this meeting and provide/defend the requested documents/information, it will be construed that they have decided to forfeit their purported shareholdings in TTB and Union Bank of Nigeria; irrespective of which vehicle that they are using to own the purported shares.

’Should you also refuse to attend the meeting to provide additional statement to your earlier statement made in August 2023, it will be construed that you misled the Nigerian public with your reaction in the PUNCH Newspapers today which has gained wide publicity in both electronic and print media.’’

The investigator explained that the invitation was to further ensure that ‘’it is beyond reasonable doubt that the Federal Government of Nigeria has given you a fair hearing.’’

Meanwhile, It is unclear whether without a court ruling, the Special Investigator’s Office has the powers to make investors lose their shareholding should they fail to attend the meeting for whatsoever reason.

https://punchng.com/cbn-investigator-summons-lemo-others-over-union-bank-deal/

3 Likes

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by money121(m): 6:40am On Dec 26, 2023
Better

Awon Ojelu

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by yinkus6750(m): 6:42am On Dec 26, 2023
So many underground deals in the banking sector.
Ill gotten wealth been used to acquire banks.
The FG should get to the root of the matter and do the needful.
EmefiOLE really messed up the banking sector.

38 Likes 8 Shares

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by AlphaNugget(m): 6:54am On Dec 26, 2023
The banking system is that bad, I am scared of leaving my money in the bank lipsrsealed

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by Godfullsam(m): 7:02am On Dec 26, 2023
All the new banks that sprang up in the last 3/4 years till date should be thoroughly investigated.

Those banks were acquired by CBN officials with ill gotten wealth by proxy.

I sincerely hope the investigator will be allowed to beam his search light in the direction of those managing NNPC. After he is done with Emiefele, Kyari should be next.

A lot of corruption in the oil sectors too.

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by vanbonattel: 7:06am On Dec 26, 2023
All these happened under the nose of Mr. Integrity and he wasn't even aware of it.

Only a clone can perform that badly grin

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by ObaKlaz: 7:11am On Dec 26, 2023
Wake me up when they at least bring Diezani to justice ⚖️.
Before April 2024, we'd forget there ever was an investigator or investigation. The dust would settle and it would be back to business as usual.
Useless 'cruise' country!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by vanbonattel: 7:17am On Dec 26, 2023
ObaKlaz:
Before April 2024, we'd forget there ever was an investigator or investigation. The dust would settle and it would be back to business as usual.

Excuse me boy, Dieziani was minister 9 years ago, since then more dangerous crooks has stolen your pants and everything you own. Keep chasing Dieziani while Lemo is left to enjoy his own loot.

16 Likes

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by Bizibi(m): 7:25am On Dec 26, 2023
Godfullsam:
All the new banks that sprang up in the last 3/4 years till date should be thoroughly investigated.

I sincerely hope the investigator will be allowed to beam his search light in the direction of those managing NNPC. After he is done with Emiefele, Kyari should be next.

looks like nnpc is off limits for now and I am sure tinubu and his predecessor have an agreement. Kyari was not supposed to come back.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by ObaKlaz: 7:30am On Dec 26, 2023
vanbonattel:

Excuse me boy, Dieziani was minister 9 years ago, since then more dangerous crooks has stolen your pants and everything you own. Keep chasing Dieziani while Lemo is left to enjoy his own loot.
I'll ignore that 'boy' part and take it as you're just one of the many e-rats here always spoiling for e-wars.

Now, that being said; you made no valid point - NONE!. Read my comment, read what you typed again.

10 Likes

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by ecolime(m): 7:58am On Dec 26, 2023
Tunde Lemo...

This news dey sweet me cheesy

I no sabi Keystone deal but Titan Trust takeover of Union Bank is the biggest fraud of the decade.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by Bullet01(f): 7:58am On Dec 26, 2023
Most of us are potential Criminals just waiting for an opportunity. Trust no one, not even yourself

13 Likes

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by verybadmouth(m): 7:59am On Dec 26, 2023
On this note, I finally agree Buhari died long before now. The Sudanese Jibrin scammed us

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by mrjoeblinks: 7:59am On Dec 26, 2023
Ehen?
so that wetin go com happen?

1 Like

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by OgaRico(m): 8:03am On Dec 26, 2023
Happy Birthday to me and Happy Boxing day to you guys.
See as I just dey smile as @Nairaland Team send me Happy Birthday mail.

Say a positive prayer for I and all those who are a year older today.

1 Like

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by Ikaeniyan0: 8:03am On Dec 26, 2023
ObaKlaz:
Diezani fled Nigeria even before Jonathan handed over power to Buhari. Diezani prosecution will start next year or 2025 in the UK.

5 Likes

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by Saao(m): 8:03am On Dec 26, 2023
How can a thief government investigate another thief without first repent and restitute what he has stolen? Tinubu is fooling his supporters not me

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by LaziestYouth: 8:04am On Dec 26, 2023
Getting interesting
Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by gigabyte13: 8:06am On Dec 26, 2023
Before BAT came to power, l once heard he owns TITAN BANK through proxies.
Is about to get messier.......
Make Emefiele sha dey pray sha
Na him Dem go use as sacrificial lamb take settle this matter.....
He is not going out of this anytime soon.
Make e no come long like Dansuki own, na e remain like dis.

MANY PROBLEM FOR ONE MAN
WELL NA WERTIN HE SABI CHOP WAN PURGE AM

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by NICOGRAVITY: 8:06am On Dec 26, 2023
This is just to fulfil all righteousness. At the end NOTHING will come out of it.
A very corrupt system.
Who investigations help for our country?
Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by gigabyte13: 8:08am On Dec 26, 2023
Saao:
How can a thief government investigate another thief without first repent and restitute what he has stolen? Tinubu is fooling his supporters not me

Na thief Sabi another thief footprint.
If people like you get opportunities to enter government, una go do worst.
Una go just dey point finger at dis, at that.
Small opportunities like dis, una don scatter everywhere.

10 Likes

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by Alexlalax1(m): 8:08am On Dec 26, 2023
All this epistle no consign me, make I no hear say something happen to my tinini change wey dey union bank oooo or blood go flow.... corruption everywhere!!!
Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by KingKO22: 8:08am On Dec 26, 2023
Ok
Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by lexy2014: 8:09am On Dec 26, 2023
yinkus6750:
So many underground deals in the banking sector.
Ill gotten wealth been used to acquire banks.
The FG should get to the root of the matter and do the needful.
EmefiOLE really messed up the banking sector.

which FG do you want to "get to the root of the matter and do the needful"?

2 Likes

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by jojothaiv(m): 8:10am On Dec 26, 2023
Godfullsam:

The question on most people mind is there any sector that's corrupt free in Nigeria?

lexy2014:

which FG do you want to "get to the root of the matter and do the needful"?
I'm perplexed too, it's a game of musical chairs.
Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by BOSSkesh(m): 8:10am On Dec 26, 2023
I don’t care who they summon my own is will anything come out of it abi it’s all for show
Since the obazee report came out no arrests or summon has been made whatsoever

The same people that arrested emefiele for show and later released him through the back door
Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by Sensiblerealist: 8:10am On Dec 26, 2023
ElemiOle really do this one. I am not sure anyone has harmed the country economically for personal gains as this guy in the history of this country. Maybe Abacha sha

7 Likes

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by BOSSkesh(m): 8:10am On Dec 26, 2023
Emefiele needs to be hanged
Bastard

4 Likes

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by AK481(m): 8:11am On Dec 26, 2023
The only thing this tinubu govt can do better than any government on earth is to destroy business and scare off investors . Investors are watching how this government is insulting and frustrating TGI. Hope TGI too doesn't call FG bluff and pack up like GSK who refused to be insulted in a forceful take over by tinubu and his government friends illegally .

TGI have over 10,000 direct employees and over 100,000 indirect employees .
TGI owns titan trust bank, former owner of chi limited (chivita,happy hour,exotic juice...,hollandia milk and yougurt,beefie and superbite etc)union bank ,Wacot rice - big bull,terra vegetable oil and seasonings, Romson oil and gas, real estates in thousands,wacot seeds,TGI distri ,chi farms,shipping lines ,cormat, chi marines, fludor and so many companies .

Now see the embarrassment over unfounded and false allegation ,just because you have beef with emefiele.

Never seen a dull govt like this .

TGI too will close up if this becomes too much .

When chilimited was sold to coca cola International in huge financial trasaction, the money was invested immediately with other shareholders funds to acquire union bank , TGI is a very big multinational company but FG want to chase it away like GSK and PG,Sanofi etc.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by WhisperedNoise: 8:12am On Dec 26, 2023
CBN is a political arm of the government used to shady deals.
Re: CBN Investigator Summons Tunde Lemo, Others Over Union Bank Deal by lexy2014: 8:13am On Dec 26, 2023
gigabyte13:

Na thief Sabi another thief footprint.
If people like you get opportunities to enter government, una go do worst.
Una go just dey point finger at dis, at that.
Small opportunities like dis, una don scatter everywhere.

who is the thief that sabis the footprint of another thief?

how has he scattered everywhere and what is the small opportunity he got?

what has what he said got to do with whether he will get opportunity to enter government?

how do you know that he will ever get the opportunity to enter government?

have you entered government and are presently doing worse hence your claim that others will do just as you are doing?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Don’t Harbor Negative Thoughts About Your Country, Tinubu Urges Nigerians / I Repent From All Forms Of Tribalism And Bigotry Today / Uncertainty As Akeredolu’s Quit Notice Expires Tomorrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.