Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,626 members, 7,816,575 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

The African Woman, When?� - Fashion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / The African Woman, When?� (28450 Views)

Wedding Styles For African Woman – Aso Ebi Styles 2021 / The African Stars Reality Tv Show / Latest Ankara Styles Ideas For African Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The African Woman, When?� by Rukevwe999(m): 10:01am On Dec 29, 2023
lexy2014:

you have not answered my questions

1. How did u come to the conclusion that " Nigerian men are nuts for foreign women or anything of that imitation"?.

2. What research did you do that proves that nigerian men prefer light skinned ladies?

3. Did British colonialist force wigs, weavon and extensions on Nigerian ladies during the colonial era?

In colonial era, did Nigerian women wear wigs, weavon and extension?
Read and understand all I've written so far like it's a WAEC comprehension passage, and you'll find the answers to your questions.
Also, study our history on how colonialism evolved some of sociocultural values and traditions. Then observe the society and media.
Re: The African Woman, When?� by DrAda(f): 10:04am On Dec 29, 2023
pocohantas:

Extreme ignorance. They think the afro they see in black themed movies is what the natural hair of most Nigerian women look like? Hahaha!

Some go be like the woman dey mad!

I saw shege in the hands of my natural hair. I spent money. Was always visiting natural hair salons. They are more expensive than the average hairdresser too. I could never leave it without keeping it in a style. Even if it cornrows. I also had to change my cornrows more frequently.

I tried short hair. That one is another money pit. Unlike men that see their barbers at every corner for N1000. Female barbers are high end professionals that the average 100k earning woman cannot afford. My barber was so proud and rude.

Let me not talk about the headache from touching and combing my hair everyday. My face would be red. Even my arms were hurting from always being up to style the hair every morning.

Abeg, they should go look for it on their mother's head. I done buy wig this month after a long time before I die for PanAfrican movement. grin grin grin

😂😂🤣🤣 So proud and rude.. Terrible combo.

Once visited one of the so-called natural hair experts. I was charged 5k just to wash my hair. When i tried haggling, she became rude. I learnt my lesson that day.

Forgot completely about the headaches, it's a story for another day🤣😂. Even my husband hates my natural hair/the afrocentric look as opposed to most men here who love it. Go figure😂

I don't know about the movement but my transition to natural hair was purely due to health related concerns. Apparently, hair relaxers and dyes increase the risk of breast cancers in women. I simply don't want to be a statistic.

I love my wigs. I wish i had tons of them but alas, the good wigs are helluva expensive so i cherish the few good ones that i have.

And why stop at natural hair? The op should expand his inspiration to incoporate natural face, nails, skin, body, food and childbirth. The op has good intentions no doubt. But he didnt think this through, as is the case most times when men think they know women.
Re: The African Woman, When?� by vertueptime: 10:14am On Dec 29, 2023
wig is a big turnoff, igbo girls can't do without wig

Yashita:
African/Nigerian women love hair attachments and wigs. I just don’t like putting on my head anything that is not growing naturally from my head.

These Asian women that we see their hair as the world’s standard of beauty carry their natural hair year in year out all through the seasons (winter/summer/spring/fall) taking care of their hairs with their locally made products and never feeling the need to wear wigs to “protect” their hairs during harsh seasons.

In fact, when I get rich, I’d like to start a movement/NGO to help African women emancipate themselves from mental slavery. Our natural Afro hair should be our standard of beauty.

We can research and locally produce hair care products and accessories. Grants would be given to researchers/manufacturers of Afro hair products.

Natural Afro hair stylists will be rewarded from time to time.

Schools and higher institutions will be visited often time to sensitise people/girls/women to embrace their Afro hair and be stylish with it.

There’d be a TV show/program where natural hair carriers would creatively style their hairs and earn like BBN, etc.

When would this start? cry
Re: The African Woman, When?� by lexy2014: 10:18am On Dec 29, 2023
Rukevwe999:

Read and understand all I've written so far like it's a WAEC comprehension passage, and you'll find the answers to your questions.
Also, study our history on how colonialism evolved some of sociocultural values and traditions. Then observe the society and media.

in WAEC, when the questions you are asked are numbered and enumerated, how do you answer the questions?

kindly answer as enumerated. lets try again:

1. How did u come to the conclusion that " Nigerian men are nuts for foreign women or anything of that imitation"?.

2. What research did you do that proves that nigerian men prefer light skinned ladies?

3. Did British colonialist force wigs, weavon and extensions on Nigerian ladies during the colonial era?

In colonial era, did Nigerian women wear wigs, weavon and extension?
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Babysho(m): 10:20am On Dec 29, 2023
African females that wear wigs don't even know how stupid they look. The funniest part is women look better with their natural hair, and it goes for all races!

Any African woman on natural 4c hair and especially lowcut or skin immediately becomes highly attractive to me. I'm convinced I am of a bloodline of strong African men.

1 Like

Re: The African Woman, When?� by Deogratiasfx: 10:35am On Dec 29, 2023
1Alex:
should write a good proposal, present it to celebrities she think would have great impact through social media. It may sell

The sad truth is, so many ladies don't like these things themselves but still do them because of how the society will look at them if they don't follow.
Re: The African Woman, When?� by akinade28(f): 10:41am On Dec 29, 2023
Yashita:
African/Nigerian women love hair attachments and wigs. I just don’t like putting on my head anything that is not growing naturally from my head.

These Asian women that we see their hair as the world’s standard of beauty carry their natural hair year in year out all through the seasons (winter/summer/spring/fall) taking care of their hairs with their locally made products and never feeling the need to wear wigs to “protect” their hairs during harsh seasons.

In fact, when I get rich, I’d like to start a movement/NGO to help African women emancipate themselves from mental slavery. Our natural Afro hair should be our standard of beauty.

We can research and locally produce hair care products and accessories. Grants would be given to researchers/manufacturers of Afro hair products.

Schools and higher institutions will be visited often time to sensitise people/girls/women to embrace their Afro hair and be stylish with it.

There’d be a TV show/program where natural hair carriers would creatively style their hairs and earn like BBN, etc.

You have refused to address the root cause of ladies not wearing their natural hair instead you only focused on branches.

Take your time to carry out a survey on why women prefer wearing wigs, instead of assuming it is a race's beauty standards or self esteem issue. Else, you will be fighting a lost battle.

Mind you, most of the comments here are from males.
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Albertone(m): 11:00am On Dec 29, 2023
pocohantas:

Extreme ignorance. They think the afro they see in black themed movies is what the natural hair of most Nigerian women look like? Hahaha!

Some go be like the woman dey mad!

I saw shege in the hands of my natural hair. I spent money. Was always visiting natural hair salons. They are more expensive than the average hairdresser too. I could never leave it without keeping it in a style. Even if it cornrows. I also had to change my cornrows more frequently.

I tried short hair. That one is another money pit. Unlike men that see their barbers at every corner for N1000. Female barbers are high end professionals that the average 100k earning woman cannot afford. My barber was so proud and rude.

Let me not talk about the headache from touching and combing my hair everyday. My face would be red. Even my arms were hurting from always being up to style the hair every morning.

Abeg, they should go look for it on their mother's head. I done buy wig this month after a long time before I die for PanAfrican movement. grin grin grin

Nigeria being a hot country, the kind of odour that oozes out when some ladies remove their wigs is poisonous.

Not everyone has access to AC so the heat brings discomfort. I've seen countless ladies holding their wigs in their hands while walking in hot sun.

Also, there are health risks associated with using wigs. Some got scalp issues from that.

Finally, the cost of purchasing and maintaining a wig is more expensive than the cost of making your hair. Unless you're using an "understanding girlfriend wig" or your salon na kingsway grin

I only agree on the discomfort your natural hair brings when styling. But then, to each his or her own.

3 Likes

Re: The African Woman, When?� by 1Sharon(f): 12:33pm On Dec 29, 2023
YelloweWest:

Your definition of alopecia is short hair?

I'm literally bald on som areas of my head. No growth whatsoever.

My mother had it. My sisters as well.

So stop with this blanket statement. People wear wigs for different reasons!

Do you wear tight hairstyles? undecided

Those styles won't help, wigs won't help either due to friction
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Metrofox(m): 1:50pm On Dec 29, 2023
KaptainRobin:
How about you start a mind your business movement, where people are allowed to buy and wear what they want as long as it does not affect you. wink

Keep quiet, he is trying to awaken the sleeping giant in african women. All these are vestiges of slavery brought in by the white man. The amount women spend on those stupid wigs is enough to raise another civilization
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Metrofox(m): 1:54pm On Dec 29, 2023
pocohantas:
Yawns. Start a no wig movement indeed.
Let's pretend every black woman has same hair type like foreigners that is lengthy and easy to manipulate. So asides waking by 4am everyday to jump danfo, she has to dedicate minutes to arrange her hair. Hair that would shrink and lose moisture in seconds.

Wig is a turn off indeed. From the same gender that would make money and start running after girls with eyelashes like batman's wings.

Low self esteem. Manipulate it like your grandmothers did
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Metrofox(m): 1:56pm On Dec 29, 2023
sketcherJ:
So how about people that make wigs for a living? You haven’t considered that before you start your movement fueled by your watery personal feelings? Look around, there are other generally agreeable things you can move against.

They will learn how to cut hair
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Anguel: 3:34pm On Dec 29, 2023
In fact, when I get rich, I’d like to start a

Until u get rich 1st?.... Wishing you the very best 🙏
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Oluchia(f): 3:47pm On Dec 29, 2023
DrAda:
Funny thread. I applaud your vision but I doubt that it will take off.

You see, the main reason why women wear wigs is the ease and comfort. It is also cheaper in the long run.

Natural hair, which I have at the moment, is extremely difficult to manage, no matter the products used. Some of these prodcuts are very expensive. The time spent every morning trying to beat it into shape to align with your outfit and the occasion, is not for the faint-hearted. You will most definitely be visiting the salon often which again is an absolute waste of time and money.

Someone mentioned that natural hair shrinks. That is putting it mildly. Not only does it shrink to less than a third of its length, it becomes extremly hard requiring you to apply heat and more products just to straighten it out section by section. This alone can take hours.

If you are graying out, then be ready to apply dyes just to look good. And talking about looking good, not all women look good in their natural hair. In truth, most look unprofessional because again, it is extremely difficult to whip into shape particularly if you have short natural hair or if your long natural hair has shrunk and its texture is rough.

You talk about the whites/chinese looking after their hair to get that sleek, beautiful look. But you forget that most of them have tools/gadgets all of which requires electricity. You are a Nigerian, is this feasible? Are these tools affordable?

I can go on and on but I simply don't have the time. Your vision is noble but like i said earlier, it won't catch on. A lot of factors must be considered beyond creating new high-end local products and competitions for best hair. Good luck

You are absolutely right. I have natural hair and maintaining it is not beans. It is easier said than done. My natural hair is unusually softer and fuller which is why I am still able to wear it after all these years (this is about 8 years). I can easily pack and comb it and I don't have to spend so much grooming it. A lot of women are not that lucky, if you know what people spend to maintain their natural hair, it is financially draining. I have a lot of friends who went from natural back to either low cut or relaxing because they just could not cope with the demands. Well, whatever rocks the OP's boat.

1 Like

Re: The African Woman, When?� by lexy2014: 5:04pm On Dec 29, 2023
DrAda:

😂😂🤣🤣 So proud and rude.. Terrible combo.

Once visited one of the so-called natural hair experts. I was charged 5k just to wash my hair. When i tried haggling, she became rude. I learnt my lesson that day.

Forgot completely about the headaches, it's a story for another day🤣😂. Even my husband hates my natural hair/the afrocentric look as opposed to most men here who love it. Go figure😂

I don't know about the movement but my transition to natural hair was purely due to health related concerns. Apparently, hair relaxers and dyes increase the risk of breast cancers in women. I simply don't want to be a statistic.

I love my wigs. I wish i had tons of them but alas, the good wigs are helluva expensive so i cherish the few good ones that i have.

And why stop at natural hair? The op should expand his inspiration to incoporate natural face, nails, skin, body, food and childbirth. The op has good intentions no doubt. But he didnt think this through, as is the case most times when men think they know women.
what makes you think that the OP is a man?

1 Like

Re: The African Woman, When?� by kowema(f): 5:45pm On Dec 29, 2023
pocohantas:
Yawns. Start a no wig movement indeed.
Let's pretend every black woman has same hair type like foreigners that is lengthy and easy to manipulate. So asides waking by 4am everyday to jump danfo, she has to dedicate minutes to arrange her hair. Hair that would shrink and lose moisture in seconds.

Wig is a turn off indeed. From the same gender that would make money and start running after girls with eyelashes like batman's wings.

Finally someone spoke all corners of my mind.
Re: The African Woman, When?� by DrAda(f): 6:20pm On Dec 29, 2023
lexy2014:

Good question....

Better still, how can we be certain that the op is not a man posing as a woman?
Re: The African Woman, When?� by lexy2014: 6:27pm On Dec 29, 2023
DrAda:

Good question....

Better still, how can we be certain that the op is not a man posing as a woman?

DrAda:

The op should expand his inspiration to incoporate natural face, nails, skin, body, food and childbirth. The op has good intentions no doubt. But he didnt think this through, as is the case most times when men think they know women.

1 Like

Re: The African Woman, When?� by Talismann: 6:32pm On Dec 29, 2023
tollyboy5:

She no see dem o! You wey see them wetin your vseless self do to stop them from dying?

you no go like go ask your mama wey dey wear one particular wig for the past 8 years how her scalp be. Na her type OP dey try caution. Feeling funky. Ozuor.
Re: The African Woman, When?� by OdefaGirl(f): 6:55pm On Dec 29, 2023
Emaprince:
So if you can't take good care of your natural hairs, it means when you get home and remove the wig, you will surely be a big turn off to your hubby? That's nasty.

So you only want to go out with a well made wig to appear neat to outsiders while the man at home gets the unkempt version of yourself. Smh

This is one of the big turn off in many women that wears wig. Once they are home and take off the wig, you will be seeing a hair that is not well combed or an all back that is not neat, making her look unkempt. Instantly the man gets turned off.

No, like I said... underneath our wigs are our all-back weaves, at most 2 weeks, you loose it and plait a new one without attachment extensions but I can't carry outing weaves for 1 week... that will make me to re-do it often which I don't have the time. Then again, I plait my all back weaves myself at my convenience be it 10pm or 12am knowing that I will wear wigs but if I am carrying it out, definitely someone has to do that for me cz of the lines. So rest!! I don't look untidy while at home. Thank you
Re: The African Woman, When?� by DrAda(f): 7:09pm On Dec 29, 2023
lexy2014:

His poor grasp of the subject matter
Re: The African Woman, When?� by tollyboy5(m): 7:24pm On Dec 29, 2023
Talismann:

you no go like go ask your mama wey dey wear one particular wig for the past 8 years how her scalp be. Na her type OP dey try caution. Feeling funky. Ozuor.
My mama and your mama no be mate.

!diot!

2 Likes

Re: The African Woman, When?� by lexy2014: 7:46pm On Dec 29, 2023
DrAda:

His poor grasp of the subject matter

how does "he" have a poor grasp of the subject matter?
Re: The African Woman, When?� by DrAda(f): 8:11pm On Dec 29, 2023
lexy2014:

What do you think?
Re: The African Woman, When?� by lexy2014: 8:19pm On Dec 29, 2023
DrAda:

What do you think?
how does that answer my question?

Re: The African Woman, When?� by DrAda(f): 8:34pm On Dec 29, 2023
lexy2014:
how does that answer my question?

I answered your question.. I don't know what you want
Re: The African Woman, When?� by lexy2014: 8:51pm On Dec 29, 2023
DrAda:

I answered your question.. I don't know what you want

where did you answer the question: how does "he" have a poor grasp of the subject matter?
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Yashita: 2:32am On Dec 30, 2023
DrAda:

Why stop at natural hair? Why don't you take up from where I stopped?

If my inspiration is natural hair, you as a person can continue on the other topics.

I stated earlier and still saying again, I'm a proper woman. If you're not convinced, I simply don't know.

What is there to over-'think through' about the topic? If the movement ever happen to be, during its course, many issues would be raised and flogged, except you want it to be dead on arrival because you're too immersed in wigs.
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Yashita: 2:35am On Dec 30, 2023
Anguel:
In fact, when I get rich, I’d like to start a

Until u get rich 1st?.... Wishing you the very best 🙏

Sure. Money is needed to run such movement. One has to have a good source of income.
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Yashita: 2:39am On Dec 30, 2023
Oluchia:

You are absolutely right. I have natural hair and maintaining it is not beans. It is easier said than done. My natural hair is unusually softer and fuller which is why I am still able to wear it after all these years (this is about 8 years). I can easily pack and comb it and I don't have to spend so much grooming it. A lot of women are not that lucky, if you know what people spend to maintain their natural hair, it is financially draining. I have a lot of friends who went from natural back to either low cut or relaxing because they just could not cope with the demands. Well, whatever rocks the OP's boat.

Dear, read the first part of the tread.

It states that research/manufacture will be encouraged and sponsored. Simply put "if there are people that will research on products that will help solve most problems, it would be encouraged and assisted manifest.

All these things are problems that would be raised and solved as they come. Not a one day thing.
Re: The African Woman, When?� by DrAda(f): 5:01am On Dec 30, 2023
Yashita:

Why stop at natural hair? Why don't you take up from where I stopped?

If my inspiration is natural hair, you as a person can continue on the other topics.

I stated earlier and still saying again, I'm a proper woman. If you're not convinced, I simply don't know.

What is there to over-'think through' about the topic? If the movement ever happen to be, during its course, many issues would be raised and flogged, except you want it to be dead on arrival because you're too immersed in wigs.

Now that you are here, let's talk about all things "fake". There are literally tons of fake products around the world ranging from hairs down to the food that we eat, and the medicine that we take.

If you think critically about this, the one product that is the least invasive or simply put, the one item with the smallest potential to alter a human's body is your current passion - wigs. Every other fake item has that propensity to literally make you sicker.

Wigs are used to promote beauty at least to the wearer. It is safe and poses no danger to the human body. Interestingly, people also use it to address several health concerns, like the lady here who need it for her alopecia or my cancer patients who need it because the drugs have stopped their hair from growing. Wigs are literally the safest "fake" item to exist. Why don't you understand that as a woman? Or at least accept that there are more than one way to be beautiful?

Your passion invokes yet another way for women to hate their body flaws and it is just sad. Again I wish you well in your quest to get this ball rolling in Nigeria. You will need it.
Re: The African Woman, When?� by Hotice085: 5:22am On Dec 30, 2023
Yashita:

Finally I get to see a reasonable and proud African woman
My dear if you go to some Asian forums and see the way African woman are ridiculed you will wonder if our women are not ashame of themselves
From skin to hair our women should stop this inferiority complex

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Photo Of A Man Proudly Wearing Weave-on / Meet Egunyinka Oluwatosin, Nigeria's Rep At The Miss Globe World Finals 2022 / Comfort Iraya Emerges Most Beautiful Girl In Abuja 2021 (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.