Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,904 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter (5954 Views)

Woman Dumps Her Baby In A Gutter In Agege Area Of Lagos. Photos / Heartless Mother Throws Her New Born Baby In A Gutter With Its Placenta / Dead Baby Found Abandoned Inside A Gutter In Benin (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by bolataiwo(m): 3:17pm On Nov 02, 2011
this is sorrowful may the lord have mercy on the mother

Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 02, 2011
awwwwwww cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by Dyt(f): 3:53pm On Nov 02, 2011
GOD of dyt
smth must b wrong wit d mum
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by pslm23(f): 4:00pm On Nov 02, 2011
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

This is heart wrenching! Millions of women are crying for just one child and someone carried a full term baby like this and dumped him/her in the gutter like trash. Why? How heartless! Nothing about this makes any sense
Father in Heaven, have mercy on the mother of this child! Rest in peace sweet child! cry cry cry
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 02, 2011
She don't have a heart.
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by Ladilgs: 5:02pm On Nov 02, 2011
Sad but we should all try and find out what the real story is before we condemn the mother.
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 02, 2011
Ladilgs:

Sad but we should all try and find out what the real story is before we condemn the mother.

What the blazes are you on about? Real story? angry In my opinion, there's no acceptable excuse for dumping a baby in a storm drain. That is about as wicked as any mother could ever be. I'm no advocate of abortion, other than for health reasons, but in this case, it would have been the better option. Or the mother could have taken the infant to an orphanage.

I hope her conscience eats at her, if she's got one.
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by Outstrip(f): 6:10pm On Nov 02, 2011
Oh sweet Jesus. You are not trash. It is the person that did this to you that is trash. Wow
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by Natasha2(f): 11:09pm On Nov 02, 2011
Oh My God not again, why are people this wicked? Jesus dumping your own child in the gutter after delivery gosh , who knows what the child would have become? wicked devilish mother angry
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by Natasha2(f): 11:13pm On Nov 02, 2011
Ladilgs:

JEEZ real story? hello nothing on earth justifies this , so what real story do you want?
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by Kunbee: 11:31pm On Nov 02, 2011
Is the baby alive?

Na wa o, even placenta dey dia
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by linkin8k(m): 3:27am On Nov 03, 2011
Ladilgs:

[color=#000099][color=#000099][/color][/color]

I have read lots of dumb comments nairaland but always refuse to comment on them, this has to be the most stupid I have ever seen
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by xxcarolxx(f): 4:40am On Nov 03, 2011
Has to be the most shocking picture ever, This unfortunately does happen very rare, and in most cases are young teenagers, that have hid the pregnancy for fear of what their family will think, No-one knows what mental state this person was in. For all we know it could of been a girl of 13yrs old,
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by bolataiwo(m): 7:50am On Nov 03, 2011
no matter what might have happened the child can still be taken to motherless babies home instead of the dumping done for the baby
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by maclatunji: 9:25am On Nov 03, 2011
Is the baby alive?- it is these kinds of pictures we want to show to the world with the competition I am promoting. This picture has the capacity to change lives and make a difference. It tells us that these things happen and we should do everything in our power to prevent them.
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 03, 2011
Kunbee:

Is the baby alive?

Na wa o, even placenta dey dia

Unfortunately, that baby wouldn't have survived. Looks like it was dumped not long after birth. Its head's in the water, so it would have drowned. Even if drowning wasn't the cause of death, it would certainly have died from exposure - direct sunlight, infection from dirty water etc.

It's heart-breaking, seeing a new-born infant discarded in such a way, without being given a chance of survival.  embarassed
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by iaabc(f): 11:00am On Nov 03, 2011
Dear Lord! Why?
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 03, 2011
Not sure if this news extract is related, but worth a read:

A morning in the Chinese province of Hunan brings an unimaginable sight of cruelty and horror. Lying in the gutter of a bustling main road is the tiny, twisted body of a dead baby girl. She is naked, surrounded by only dirty pieces of hospital gauze. Buses and bicycles speed past the corpse, spraying it with mud.

Nameless and unwanted, the newborn’s been dumped by the roadside during winter. Few of the locals hurrying by give her a second glance. To them, she is just one of thousands of baby girls abandoned each year as a result of China’s ruthless one-child policy. “I think the baby had just died,” says a woman who was the only person to attempt to rescue the infant. “I touched her skin, and it was warm. Blood was still coming out of her nose.”

Under China’s strict family-planning laws, couples in urban areas are allowed only one child; couples in most rural regions can try for a second if their first-born is a girl. Those who have an illegal baby are subject to crippling fines, sterilization, and other severe penalties. To avoid punishment, many parents go to the desperate measure of deserting their illegal offspring. If their child is a girl--considered less valuable than boys in rural, traditional parts of China, like Hunan--the chances of this heartbreaking fate are immeasurably higher.

To the Chinese authorities, abandoned girls are merely worthless trash. “I called the emergency services, but nobody came,” says the woman who found this latest little victim. (For fear of official reprisal, she wishes to remain anonymous.) “The baby was lying right near the government tax office, so many people in government just walked past.” Eventually, an old man picked up the child, put her in a box, and dropped her in a garbage bin. When the police finally arrived, they showed no interest in investigating her death. They instead arrested the woman who’d tried to save her. “I took some photographs, because it was so terrible; the police were more worried about my pictures than the baby,” she says. The police only released the woman once she handed over her film.

The chilling death of this baby, and countless others like her, reveals the gross inhumanity behind the enforcement of China’s one-child policy. The world’s most populous country with 1.3 billion people, China introduced the policy in 1979 in response to a rapid increase in the birth rate under former leader Mao Tse-tung, and a fear that the exploding population couldn’t be fed. Today, China’s leaders claim that the policy has been a great success, preventing an extra 300 million births.

Most Chinese recognize the need to keep the birth rate down, but the government’s methods continue to cause untold misery. “What’s happening since the one-child policy was introduced as a national catastrophe,” says Wu Hongli a woman’s aid worker in Shanghai who does outreach work in rural communities. “So many families have lost their children and had their lives destroyed.”

While abandonment is shockingly common, say Wu, some parents who give birth “outside the plan” are so terrified of being caught, they even kill their child. “One father dropped his daughter down an old well so no one would ever know she existed.”

Each region in China has a target “birth quota” for the number of babies allowed to be born per year. Local government offices and state-owned factories appoint female staff to monitor every woman’s menstrual cycle. Before conceiving a baby, women must have a “birth permit”; those who don’t, or who’ve already given birth have their contraceptive usage monitored. Though condoms and the Pill are available, the most common form of birth control is the metal IUD; it’s inserted at government clinics and detectable by X-ray to ensure it hasn’t been removed without authorization.

Officially, the state condemns the use of force or cruelty in enforcing quotas. But in practice, officials feel pressure to achieve low birth rates or face disgrace and demotion, causing many to resort to brutal tactics. Population officials, “abortion squads” regularly conduct midnight raids into the homes of women suspected of becoming pregnant illegally. These squads drag offenders into custody and detain them until they submit to an abortion, even if they’re eight to nine months pregnant.

Gao Xio Duan, a former population-control official who fled to America three years ago, spoke out about the methods used to terminate illegal pregnancies. Describing herself as a “monster”, she told a U.S. Congressional committee how she had helped doctors inject lethal formaldehyde into babies’ skulls during forced abortions. “I saw how the baby’s lips were sucking and how its limbs were stretching,” she said of one such instance. “Then the doctor injected the poison into its head, and the child died and was thrown in the trash.”

Some pregnant women try to avoid capture by going into hiding. But often, they return after the birth to find their homes burned to the ground and their other family members beaten or persecuted. In an extreme case last year, a man in Changsha, a Hunan province, died after being tortured for refusing to reveal the whereabouts of his pregnant wife. If couple successfully give birth to an illegal baby, the face further punishment, including fines of around 10,000 yuan ($1500)--seven times more than the average peasant’s annual income--compulsory sterilization, forced confiscations of property. Children born this way are denied schooling, medical care, and other social benefits.

Many peasants believe only sons can carry on the family line. “They think it greatly dishonors their ancestors if they don’t produce a male heir,” says outreach worker Wu Hongli. Also, daughters usually live with their husband’s family after marriage and are, therefore, considered a wasted investment. “Although the one-child policy allows many rural couples to have another baby if their first is a girl, it spells disaster if their second child is also female,” says Wu. Such unwanted girls are often dubbed “maggots in the rice”. In northeast China, one man was so distraught when his second-born was a girl that he smothered bother her and his other healthy daughter. “It is a sin not to have a boy. I will try again for a son when I get out of prison,” he told police.

In China’s modern cities, the traditional desire for boys has all but disappeared. But coupled with the one-child policy, its endurance in the country side is having devastating social consequences. An estimated 17 million girls are “missing” from the population nationwide. Infanticide and abandonment account for some of these lost females, with those who survive ending up in bleak state orphanages--if they’re lucky. Other factors include sex-selective abortion, which are technically outlawed, but are still readily available through the use of ultrasound for a small bribe. According to official figures, 97.5 percent of all aborted fetuses in China are female. Failure to register the birth of girl babies is another factor; it’s believed many parents hide their daughters, or sell them to infertile couples, thereby making them invisible to authorities.

The result is a chronic imbalance in the male and female populations. Already, millions of rural Chinese men are unable to find a wife. To overcome this, young girls who leave their villages to look for work are often tricked and drugged by traffickers and then sold to older single men in distant provinces, where they don’t even speak the same dialect. This imbalance is set to worsen, too. A decade ago, the birth records of boys versus girls in some countryside areas where two to one. Today, the ratio is often as high as an alarming six to one.

Still, the Chinese government remains committed to its one-child policy. Wu Hongli despairs over this situation. “Of course, population is a serious issue,” she says, “but so are human rights. The authorities are making no attempt to implement more humane family planning.” She also laments official apathy toward teaching the population about the equal value of baby girls. “Educational programs have had a lot of success in rural areas, but there is still a vast amount to be done. So many tragedies are ignored every day that it makes me want to cry. ”Looking at the anonymous baby girl whose brief life ended on a roadside only a few weeks ago, it’s impossible not to feel the same way.

http://www.taliacarner.com/deadnewborningutter.html
Re: Picture Of An Abadon Baby In A Gutter by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 05, 2011
Unfortunately things like this happen every other day in Nigeria. I visted some orphanages on the island recently, and when i they told me how most of the kids there were picked up from gutters and pits, i just broke down wept. Its really unfortunate that some people are so heartless. What will it cost the mother of this child to drop the baby in front of an orphanage or a place where people can see the child and save it from cold and infection? Unfortunately I doubt if this baby survived. I pray God forgives whoever did this to this child. This is wickedness of the highest order.

(1) (Reply)

Sending Your Children To Boarding Schools More Dangerous Than You Can Imagine. / Why Are Cases Of Infertility Common With Wealthy Families? / SHOCKING DNA TEST RESULTS ENCOURAGED BY COVID19 LOCK-DOWN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.