Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,136 members, 7,863,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:41 AM

Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. (13176 Views)

Indian Navy Recaptures Ship From Somali Pirates And Rescues 17 Crew / Indian Navy Rescue Ship From Somali Pirates (photos) / Hijacked South African Minister Chikunga Is The Star Of This Big Bum Meme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Botragelad: 12:28pm On Jan 05
Krismas:
grin
The question am asking for which NO ONE is answering is that,
HOW IS THE BAB AL-MANDEB strait in Yemen INTERNATIONAL WATERS? How manage? If this strait were in Britain, will it have been considered International property? If the Suez Canal, the strait of Bosporus etc are all belonging to the nearby nations, then the gulf of Eden including the Bab Al mandeb should belong to both Yemen and Djibouti. They should be taking toll from ships using the place like Egypt wen you use the Suez canal
I think you are a bit confused about the legal status of the Bab al-Mandeb strait in Yemen. Let me clear it up for you.

The Bab al-Mandeb strait is a narrow passage that connects the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean. It is bordered by Yemen, Djibouti, and Eritrea. It is one of the route for international trade and security, because it links the Mediterranean Sea and the Suez Canal to the Indian Ocean and the Persian Gulf.

Now according to international law, the Bab al-Mandeb strait is not considered international waters, but rather an international strait. An international strait is a waterway that connects two areas of the high seas or exclusive economic zones, and that is used for international navigation.

There's what we call the UNCLOS,if you know what that is. They establish the legal regime of international straits, such as the Bab al-Mandeb strait. UNCLOS provides that in straits used for international navigation, all ships and aircraft enjoy the right of transit passage, which shall not be impeded by the coastal states. Transit passage means the exercise of the freedom of navigation and overflight solely for the purpose of continuous and expeditious transit of the strait.
The coastal states may adopt laws and regulations relating to transit passage, but only in conformity with UNCLOS and other rules of international law.

The Bab al-Mandeb strait is not international property, and the coastal states have some rights and obligations, but also have to respect the right of transit passage of other states. This is different from the Suez Canal and the Strait of Bosporus, which are not natural waterways, they are artificial canals that are subject to special agreements and conventions.

These coastal states of the Bab al-Mandeb strait cannot claim the whole waterway as their territorial sea or EEZ, nor can they take toll from ships using the place, that would violate the right of transit passage and the freedom of navigation of other states.
They can maybe benefit from the natural resources and the economic activities in their respective territorial sea and EEZ.

Do you understand now?

1 Like

Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Krismas(m): 12:34pm On Jan 05
Whatisurproblem:
winning war is number of casualties and achieving target aim. Isreal stated it clearly on October 7 that he's on revenge mission, that Gaza will be in ruin that have never been seen before, that all hamas leaders are Legitimate target. Those are their mission cos they ve signed thier death warrant moment they decided to attack Isreal. Now tell wich of those agenda they never achieve? You are a mumu pushing Palestinians to slaughter.
grin Israel cannever bomb Gaza as much as American bomb North Vietnam. If bombing can give you victory, America would not have lost the Vietnam war!
Unfortunately for Israel, the so called revenge mission of destroying Gaza and it’s population is called GENOCIDE in legal terms and has brought Israel international condemnation to the extent dat the primary objective of Israel to take the entire Palestine from the indigenous Arab population CAN NOLONGER be achievable.
That’s why I say Israel is finished. It’s over!
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Whatisurproblem(m): 12:35pm On Jan 05
Krismas:
grin If Israel is in control of Gaza, how come they are pulling out 8 battalions of IDF? Why are dey running away? Hamas is over 30,000 thousand in Gaza. U kill a leader so? How has that affected Hamas operations in Gaza? After 3months and spending close to 60billion USD, Israel is not even close to defeating Hamas grin
why agueing with this Ode, small street fight, you go run hide, those Hamas fighters pretending to be doctors, Red cross, humanitarians aid, journalist, Civilians, . moment they noticed IDF is closing in on them, they will quickly change clothes. That's why IDF also target and kill them.
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Krismas(m): 12:47pm On Jan 05
Botragelad:

I think you are a bit confused about the legal status of the Bab al-Mandeb strait in Yemen. Let me clear it up for you.

The Bab al-Mandeb strait is a narrow passage that connects the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean. It is bordered by Yemen, Djibouti, and Eritrea. It is one of the route for international trade and security, because it links the Mediterranean Sea and the Suez Canal to the Indian Ocean and the Persian Gulf.

Now according to international law, the Bab al-Mandeb strait is not considered international waters, but rather an international strait. An international strait is a waterway that connects two areas of the high seas or exclusive economic zones, and that is used for international navigation.

There's what we call the UNCLOS,if you know what that is. They establish the legal regime of international straits, such as the Bab al-Mandeb strait. UNCLOS provides that in straits used for international navigation, all ships and aircraft enjoy the right of transit passage, which shall not be impeded by the coastal states. Transit passage means the exercise of the freedom of navigation and overflight solely for the purpose of continuous and expeditious transit of the strait.
The coastal states may adopt laws and regulations relating to transit passage, but only in conformity with UNCLOS and other rules of international law.

The Bab al-Mandeb strait is not international property, and the coastal states have some rights and obligations, but also have to respect the right of transit passage of other states. This is different from the Suez Canal and the Strait of Bosporus, which are not natural waterways, they are artificial canals that are subject to special agreements and conventions.

These coastal states of the Bab al-Mandeb strait cannot claim the whole waterway as their territorial sea or EEZ, nor can they take toll from ships using the place, that would violate the right of transit passage and the freedom of navigation of other states.
They can maybe benefit from the natural resources and the economic activities in their respective territorial sea and EEZ.

Do you understand now?
grin Thank you for the reply. Only u merely reflected the position of the west grin
U think if Britain or America or even France were located where Yemen is today, that all this your English will apply about Bab Al mandeb? You think if Yemen were to be located were Turkey is today, you think Bosphorus will not be named an INTERNATIONAL STRAIT?

Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by tym92(m): 12:51pm On Jan 05
princeade86:
Sorry to divert the topic. I want to ask about something pls. Is it true that police don't help someone collect debt. Because I took some that owed me close to half a million to police station, d case has been dragging for like 6 month now. So yesterday, when I got to station to vent my displeasure about how d case is handling, they boldly told me that I should be patience because is not police job to help someone collect debt, but they are just helping me. Pls police is the house, how true is this? And if is true, won't there be chaos in d land because many people will be taking law to their hands.
You've taken wrong step by going to police in the first place.
1) The money won't come as expected
2) They will collect the money and be giving you story
3) You won't sha get your money back as expected unless you have your person/blood at the used station..

Best way to resolve this kinda issue is to go to court direct, complain and they'll give you guidelines on how to do it... At the end court will ask the person to payback within a time frame, go to jail or have his/her properties sold in an auction way...
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Krismas(m): 12:53pm On Jan 05
Whatisurproblem:
why agueing with this Ode, small street fight, you go run hide, those Hamas fighters pretending to be doctors, Red cross, humanitarians aid, journalist, Civilians, . moment they noticed IDF is closing in on them, they will quickly change clothes. That's why IDF also target and kill them.
grin How many of them can Israel kill? 29,000 people out of 2.3 million people? Wot a waste of time! Why not advise your CURSED Israel to use the nuclear weapons they have now before it’s too late. Cos their payment is coming and the Thunder dat will fire dem, is only just gyming up grin
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Whatisurproblem(m): 12:57pm On Jan 05
Krismas:
grin How many of them can Israel kill? 29,000 people out of 2.3 million people? Wot a waste of time! Why not advise your CURSED Israel to use the nuclear weapons they have now before it’s too late. Cos their payment is coming and the Thunder dat will fire dem, is only just gyming up grin
you have been shouting thunder since you were born we never see thunder, now you are dragging with those manufacturing thunders in real time, you will keep dying oh it's a pity
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by tammyf: 1:03pm On Jan 05
aspabay:

Useless mofos always ready to say bad about your country. Nigeria's navy control is so far highly commendable.

The action and surveillance has reduced theft and piracy on the gulf of Guinea.

No be me go lecture you with facts, Google is your friend.

Nigeria's Navy is doing very well
U could air your views without insult brother . I never insulted you.
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Postinor: 1:06pm On Jan 05
Whatisurproblem:
your foolishness is Legendary, those in control of Gaza were hidden in Baruit, yet Isreal still Locate and kill them in surgical strike, and those in control of Gaza can't stop isreali ground troops holding positions across Gaza, can't also stop isreali bombings everyday when Isreal are busting their hideout among school children, women and in hospitals. When they die finish, you supporters battling with hunger here will comit suicide
🤣🤣🤣, israel have mainly killed only civilians, hamas is still very active,till today hamas has still been firing rockets at israel,hamas still has israel captives, kill one hamas leader and they are so many more to take it's position, and this your lie of saying hamas is hiding under civilians has long been discarded as an Israeli lie,a whole god own nation can't defeat small hamas, shame on your false bible

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Krismas(m): 1:09pm On Jan 05
Whatisurproblem:
you have been shouting thunder since you were born we never see thunder, now you are dragging with those manufacturing thunders in real time, you will keep dying oh it's a pity
grin What a poor observer! This is not the same Hamas Israel fought wit 2012, 2014, 2022!
Something has changed! In October 7, 2023 Hamas wiped-out two brigades of Israel’s finest soldiers called Golani brigade grin
They even took the commander’s dead body hostage into Gaza as proof they didn’t come for civilians as Israel has been lying about. In addition they took over two hundred hostages with them into Gaza! Who would EVER have believed Hamas could carry dis off 5yrs back?
Another 5yrs from now, maybe Hamas will be strong enough to take the entire Knesset hostages. That’s why I say again. Na thunder go fire Israel. Hamas rockets now, get to Tel Aviv. So is like am righting small small. Abi?
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Whatisurproblem(m): 1:16pm On Jan 05
Krismas:
grin What a poor observer! This is not the same Hamas Israel fought wit 2012, 2014, 2022!
Something has changed! In October 7, 2023 Hamas wiped-out two brigades of Israel’s finest soldiers called Golani brigade grin
They even took the commander’s dead body hostage into Gaza as proof they didn’t come for civilians as Israel has been lying about. In addition they took over two hundred hostages with them into Gaza! Who would EVER have believed Hamas could carry dis off 5yrs back?
Another 5yrs from now, maybe Hamas will be strong enough to take the entire Knesset hostages. That’s why I say again. Na thunder go fire Israel. Hamas rockets now, get to Tel Aviv. So is like am righting small small. Abi?
lol, bait to completely destroy everything Palestinian and Hamas fall for the bait 🪤, you are a child, you don't know anything. Currently in front of TV Aljazira. You are there blablin

Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Botragelad: 1:19pm On Jan 05
Krismas:
grin Thank you for the reply. Only u merely reflected the position of the west grin
U think if Britain or America or even France were located where Yemen is today, that all this your English will apply about Bab Al mandeb? You think if Yemen were to be located were Turkey is today, you think Bosphorus will not be named an INTERNATIONAL STRAIT?
I'm afraid you missed the point. I did not merely reflect the position of the west, but the facts and the law. Lol

You see, the legal status of the Bab al-Mandeb strait is not based on the location or the power of the coastal states, but on the definition and the criteria of an international strait. I told you, an international strait is a waterway that connects two areas of the high seas or exclusive economic zones, and that is used for international navigation. The Bab al-Mandeb strait meets these conditions, as it links the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean, and is used by ships and aircraft from all over the world. In other words, it is an international strait, regardless of who controls the shores.

The same logic applies to the Strait of Bosporus, which is also an international strait, as it connects the Black Sea to the Mediterranean Sea, and is used for international navigation. The fact that Turkey is a powerful and influential country does not change the legal regime of the strait, which is governed by the Montreux Convention of 1936. The convention grants the right of passage to all civilian and military vessels, subject to some limitations and regulations. Turkey has the right to control and protect the strait, but not to block or charge it.

Your hypothetical scenarios are irrelevant and unrealistic. It does not matter if Britain, America, or France were located where Yemen is today, or if Yemen were located where Turkey is today. The Bab al-Mandeb strait and the Strait of Bosporus would still be international straits, and the coastal states would still have to respect the right of transit passage of other states. This is not a matter of opinion or preference, but a matter of principle and practice.

I hope this clarifies your confusion. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Whatisurproblem(m): 1:19pm On Jan 05
Postinor:
🤣🤣🤣, israel have mainly killed only civilians, hamas is still very active,till today hamas has still been firing rockets at israel,hamas still has israel captives, kill one hamas leader and they are so many more to take it's position, and this your lie of saying hamas is hiding under civilians has long been discarded as an Israeli lie,a whole god own nation can't defeat small hamas, shame on your false bible
are you guys watching Ajazira at all? Even Lebanon dey collect, you kids are just bablin.
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Krismas(m): 1:24pm On Jan 05
Whatisurproblem:
lol, bait to completely destroy everything Palestinian and Hamas fall for the bait 🪤, you are a child, you don't know anything. Currently in front of TV Aljazira. You are there blablin
grin Thank you for the word BAIT
Exactly what Al Jazera is doing right now. Baiting international sympathy for Gaza. Palestinians are ahead on media victories while IDF is dancing away their destiny on TikTok and Israel political leaders are roping themselves with genocidal rhetorics in the media
Btw me and u, Gaza is far from gone. In 2016 Israel bombing Lebanon killed 20,000 Lebanese equally and took the country back to the Stone Age according to IDF. But fast forward to today. Does Lebanon look like Stone Age? Dey whyn!
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Postinor: 1:29pm On Jan 05
Whatisurproblem:
are you guys watching Ajazira at all? Even Lebanon dey collect, you kids are just bablin.
🤣🤣🤣, how are lebanon's collecting,at the most hezbollah attacks israel and then israel retaliates,if israel is that strong why don't they go and attack lebanon with full force
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Krismas(m): 1:30pm On Jan 05
Whatisurproblem:
grin The tactic is clear. To divert attention from Gaza by widening the war thereby forcing American to fight for Israel by duress. Israel can’t handle all the front it’s opening. That beggar nation, dat needs alms from America every year and cannot even make shells for its own tanks without donations and alms from America
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Botragelad: 2:18pm On Jan 05
Krismas:
grin The tactic is clear. To divert attention from Gaza by widening the war thereby forcing American to fight for Israel by duress. Israel can’t handle all the front it’s opening. That beggar nation, dat needs alms from America every year and cannot even make shells for its own tanks without donations and alms from America
Did you just chicken out of our previous conversation just to do this under this dude's comment? Lol
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Krismas(m): 2:30pm On Jan 05
Botragelad:

Did you just chicken out of our previous conversation just to do this under this dude's comment? Lol
grin I don’t get wot u mean. I never ran from any contest. Israel fate is sealed. They may not be able to remain in that region for long. They are REJECTS from Europe.
Thank God they didn’t come to Africa as Europe initially intended. The west has no right to dump their waste on us. Israel should be returned back to sender as they don’t know how to co-exist with Arab neighbors and continue to exhibit the same toxic behavior that cause Hitler to slaughter 6Million of them
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Botragelad: 2:32pm On Jan 05
Krismas:
grin I don’t get wot u mean. I never ran from any contest. Israel fate is sealed. They may not be able to remain in that region for long. They are REJECTS from Europe.
Thank God they didn’t come to Africa as Europe initially intended. The west has no right to dump their waste on us. Israel should be returned back to sender as they don’t know how to co-exist with Arab neighbors and continue to exhibit the same toxic behavior that cause Hitler to slaughter 6Million of them
Deviating much, eh?
You didn't respond to the previous conversation about the international waters blah blah blah. Ran out of idea, or you straight clueless?
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Krismas(m): 2:35pm On Jan 05
Botragelad:

I'm afraid you missed the point. I did not merely reflect the position of the west, but the facts and the law. Lol

You see, the legal status of the Bab al-Mandeb strait is not based on the location or the power of the coastal states, but on the definition and the criteria of an international strait. I told you, an international strait is a waterway that connects two areas of the high seas or exclusive economic zones, and that is used for international navigation. The Bab al-Mandeb strait meets these conditions, as it links the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean, and is used by ships and aircraft from all over the world. In other words, it is an international strait, regardless of who controls the shores.

The same logic applies to the Strait of Bosporus, which is also an international strait, as it connects the Black Sea to the Mediterranean Sea, and is used for international navigation. The fact that Turkey is a powerful and influential country does not change the legal regime of the strait, which is governed by the Montreux Convention of 1936. The convention grants the right of passage to all civilian and military vessels, subject to some limitations and regulations. Turkey has the right to control and protect the strait, but not to block or charge it.

Your hypothetical scenarios are irrelevant and unrealistic. It does not matter if Britain, America, or France were located where Yemen is today, or if Yemen were located where Turkey is today. The Bab al-Mandeb strait and the Strait of Bosporus would still be international straits, and the coastal states would still have to respect the right of transit passage of other states. This is not a matter of opinion or preference, but a matter of principle and practice.

I hope this clarifies your confusion. Cheers!
grin Ok
I catch your meaning now grin
U yourself just admitted Turkey can close or open the Bosporus. The Houthis should be able to close or open the Bab Al mandeb too. I know, where Yemen very powerful nation, international law will be skewed to favor dem. I know u will disagree
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Krismas(m): 2:39pm On Jan 05
Botragelad:

Deviating much, eh?
You didn't respond to the previous conversation about the international waters blah blah blah. Ran out of idea, or you straight clueless?
grin Nope
My point right from onset is dat
No one considers Yemen as having some right to open or close their strait
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Botragelad: 2:44pm On Jan 05
Krismas:
grin Ok
I catch your meaning now grin
U yourself just admitted Turkey can close or open the Bosporus. The Houthis should be able to close or open the Bab Al mandeb too. I know, where Yemen very powerful nation, international law will be skewed to favor dem. I know u will disagree
It's obvious you aren't too smart or you outrightly refused to read what I wrote up there or you have a problem understanding what i wrote.

I did not admit that Turkey can close or open the Bosporus. I said that Turkey has the right to control and protect the strait, but not to block or charge it. That's because the strait is subject to the Montreux Convention.
Turkey has to respect this international agreement, or else it will face legal and diplomatic consequences.

The Houthis do not have the same right to close or open the Bab al-Mandeb. That's because the strait is subject to the UNCLOS, which grants the right of transit passage to all ships and aircraft, which shall not be impeded by the coastal states.

Plus, the Houthis are not a recognized state, but a rebel group that controls part of Yemen's territory. They have no legal authority or legitimacy to interfere with the international navigation in the strait. Their attacks on commercial shipping are illegal.

If you aren't well read or can't say anything factual then don't bother to respond. It's obvious!
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Botragelad: 2:44pm On Jan 05
Krismas:
grin Nope
My point right from onset is dat
No one considers Yemen as having some right to open or close their strait
Read mate!!!!
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Krismas(m): 3:08pm On Jan 05
Botragelad:

It's obvious you aren't too smart or you outrightly refused to read what I wrote up there or you have a problem understanding what i wrote.

I did not admit that Turkey can close or open the Bosporus. I said that Turkey has the right to control and protect the strait, but not to block or charge it. That's because the strait is subject to the Montreux Convention.
Turkey has to respect this international agreement, or else it will face legal and diplomatic consequences.

The Houthis do not have the same right to close or open the Bab al-Mandeb. That's because the strait is subject to the UNCLOS, which grants the right of transit passage to all ships and aircraft, which shall not be impeded by the coastal states.

Plus, the Houthis are not a recognized state, but a rebel group that controls part of Yemen's territory. They have no legal authority or legitimacy to interfere with the international navigation in the strait. Their attacks on commercial shipping are illegal.

If you aren't well read or can't say anything factual then don't bother to respond. It's obvious!
grin U are naive. That’s the issue I have with you.
1. The Houthis and Yemen position on attacking ships heading to or fro Israel is identical. Yemen is officially at war with Israel.
2. Take a look at the Strait of Dover. It belongs to Britain and France. They have all the say so on matters concerning the English Channel passage. On the strait itself, both countries took 3miles each for themselves, leaving only 14miles as international waters.
Bab Al mandeb is same widths with Dover, yet Yemen and Djibouti has no national waters in the strait? Why?
3. I am well aware Turkey close the strait Bosporus wen it likes.

Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Krismas(m): 3:16pm On Jan 05
Botragelad:

Read mate!!!!
grin Like I point out the 20mile Dover strait. The implication of having national waters within the strait is obvious. It gives you the right to legally disrupt ships, should you wish to. All you have to say, is dat such vessel strayed into your waters!
You believe too much in letters of conventions which powerful nations follow only wen convenient and ignore without consequence wen dey deem!
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by eepeepook: 3:41pm On Jan 05
Indians are worthless to sea pirates. Na them go feed the Indians come collect little in return.
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Botragelad: 3:46pm On Jan 05
Krismas:
grin U are naive. That’s the issue I have with you.
1. The Houthis and Yemen position on attacking ships heading to or fro Israel is identical. Yemen is officially at war with Israel.
2. Take a look at the Strait of Dover. It belongs to Britain and France. They have all the say so on matters concerning the English Channel passage. On the strait itself, both countries took 3miles each for themselves, leaving only 14miles as international waters.
Bab Al mandeb is same widths with Dover, yet Yemen and Djibouti has no national waters in the strait? Why?
3. I am well aware Turkey close the strait Bosporus wen it likes.
You are making some false and misleading claims that need to be corrected.

1)The Houthis and Yemen are not the same thing. The Houthis are a rebel group that controls part of Yemen's territory, but they are not recognized as a legitimate government by the international community. Yemen is not officially at war with Israel, but the Houthis have declared their support for Hamas and have launched attacks on Israeli targets.

2)The Strait of Dover is not an international strait, but a part of the territorial sea of Britain and France. The two countries have agreed to divide the strait into two zones, each extending 3 nautical miles from their respective coasts, leaving a median line between them. They also grant the right of innocent passage to foreign ships in their zones, subject to some regulations .

The Bab al-Mandeb strait on the other hand is an international strait, as it connects two areas of the high seas or exclusive economic zones, and is used for international navigation.The coastal states of Yemen, Djibouti, and Eritrea have their own territorial sea and exclusive economic zone in the strait, but they also have to respect the right of transit passage of other states, as stipulated by the UNCLOS. Turkey does not close the Strait of Bosporus whenever it likes. They only have the right to control and protect the strait, but not to block it.

In all sincerity, your arguments are not valid or sound. You are confusing and conflating different legal regimes and political situations.
I'd suggest you do more research and learn more about the history and the geography of the region. Cheers!
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by tishbite41(m): 4:07pm On Jan 05
Botragelad:

1)The Houthis and Yemen are not the same thing. The Houthis are a rebel group that controls part of Yemen's territory, but they are not recognized as a legitimate government by the international community. Yemen is not officially at war with Israel, but the Houthis have declared their support for Hamas and have launched attacks on Israeli targets.

2)The Strait of Dover is not an international strait, but a part of the territorial sea of Britain and France. The two countries have agreed to divide the strait into two zones, each extending 3 nautical miles from their respective coasts, leaving a median line between them. They also grant the right of innocent passage to foreign ships in their zones, subject to some regulations .

The Bab al-Mandeb strait on the other hand is an international strait, as it connects two areas of the high seas or exclusive economic zones, and is used for international navigation.The coastal states of Yemen, Djibouti, and Eritrea have their own territorial sea and exclusive economic zone in the strait, but they also have to respect the right of transit passage of other states, as stipulated by the UNCLOS. Turkey does not close the Strait of Bosporus whenever it likes. They only have the right to control and protect the strait, but not to block it.

In all sincerity, your arguments are not valid or sound. You are confusing and conflating different legal regimes and political situations.
I'd suggest you do more research and learn more about the history and the geography of the region. Cheers!
Mr. Man, that fella is telling you with the truth garnished with facts.
In terms of geographic definition, the Strait of Dover, the Strait of Bosporus and the Bab al-Mandeb Strait are the same. So, why is the administration of the Yemeni strait different?!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Krismas(m): 4:14pm On Jan 05
Botragelad:

grin 1. It’s so shameful reading u giving away a very important maritime way to two countries cos they are powerful! The English Channel empties the Atlantic Ocean into the Mediterranean Sea. How more important can a waterway be? Yet it belongs to two white boys? While a back-water sea that held no significance until 1869 or so wen Egypt linked it to the Mediterranean Sea is the one dat is SO IMPORTANT as to belong to the whole world? You consistent with all these NLders ALWAYS advancing the narrow, sickening position of the west in everything.

2. Thats the Yemen president in the picture. Al-Alimi is in full support of the Houthis clamping down on Israeli ships

3. Turkey is going to block the Bosporus against British ships going to Ukraine, yet Turkey can’t block the Bosporus? How intelligent is the one who, only a moment ago questioned my intelligence? I told you b4 Turkey closes the Bosporus at will. Maybe u need to google the number of times they’ve done so

Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Krismas(m): 4:32pm On Jan 05
tishbite41:

In terms of geographic definition, the Strait of Dover, the Strait of Bosporus and the Bab al-Mandeb Strait are the same. So, why is the administration of the Yemeni strait different?!
grin Thanks ma man
Godbless.
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Botragelad: 4:37pm On Jan 05
tishbite41:

Read what I wrote up there!
Re: Indian Navy Vigilant On Hijacked Ship With Indian Crew Near Somalia. by Botragelad: 5:45pm On Jan 05
Krismas:
grin 1. It’s so shameful reading u giving away a very important maritime way to two countries cos they are powerful! The English Channel empties the Atlantic Ocean into the Mediterranean Sea. How more important can a waterway be? Yet it belongs to two white boys? While a back-water sea that held no significance until 1869 or so wen Egypt linked it to the Mediterranean Sea is the one dat is SO IMPORTANT as to belong to the whole world? You consistent with all these NLders ALWAYS advancing the narrow, sickening position of the west in everything.

2. Thats the Yemen president in the picture. Al-Alimi is in full support of the Houthis clamping down on Israeli ships

3. Turkey is going to block the Bosporus against British ships going to Ukraine, yet Turkey can’t block the Bosporus? How intelligent is the one who, only a moment ago questioned my intelligence? I told you b4 Turkey closes the Bosporus at will. Maybe u need to google the number of times they’ve done so
You are mistaken again about the English Channel and the Mediterranean Sea. The English Channel is not a conduit for the Atlantic Ocean to flow into the Mediterranean Sea. It's a slim stretch of the Atlantic Ocean that lies between the south coast of England and the north coast of France.

The Mediterranean Sea on the other hand is a vast sea that is enclosed by land and linked to the Atlantic Ocean by the Strait of Gibraltar, which is about 900 miles distant from the English Channel.
The English Channel is not an international waterway, but a segment of the territorial sea of Britain and France. The two countries have consented to split the strait into two zones, each extending 3 nautical miles from their respective shores, leaving a median line between them. Told ya just now.

The English Channel is not a favour to two influential countries, but a consequence of their historical and geographical situation. Lol
Your racial remark about the "white boys" is immaterial and insulting.

Turkey is not going to obstruct the Bosporus for British ships heading to Ukraine, but only did for two former British ships that were given to Ukraine and planned to cross the strait. These ships were categorised as warships, as they were armed and had military personnel on board. Turkey has the right to regulate the passage of warships through the strait, depending on their tonnage, type, and origin.etc

Not like it shuts the Bosporus at whim.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ICJ Rejects South African Request For Measures To Limit Israeli Action In Rafah / Donald Trump Seeks Death Penalty For Drug Traffickers / Over 100 Students Arrested In California, Texas As Gaza Protests Intensify

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.