Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,691 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:20 PM

Is The Rover A Reliable Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is The Rover A Reliable Car? (17175 Views)

Leaked Images Of the 2014 Range Rover Sport / Leaked Pictures - 2013 Range Rover / What's The Most Reliable Car You've Ever Owned? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by CHIMSKY(m): 1:21am On Nov 04, 2011
My wife wants to buy a rover.I cont know much about it but I think it is british and would actually prefer she went for a toyota?Does anyone know about the car and the availability and affordability of its parts?Do our mechanics know how to repair the car?
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by Adeleke3: 6:05am On Nov 04, 2011
Rovers is a good car , if well maintained, i have friends about 3 or more that have used it and they enjoyed it, any mechanic that repairs honda will repair it and the parts are available and not expensive.it is strong car, she will enjoy it, just try and buy clean one
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Nov 09, 2011
No, the Rover is not a reliable car, unless it's a Honda-based model. The only Honda-based Rover was the Rover 600. It was actually a re-badged Honda Accord. Body panels, engine, transmission, suspension etc were Honda.

Anything other than the Rover 600 - like the Rover 75, Rover 200, Rover 400, Rover 25 and 45 are to be avoided. The reliability issues are not due to poor maintenance (although good maintenance would help). The problem lies in the heart of non Honda-based cars - the Rover K-series engines. If a technical encyclopedia needed a definition of unreliability, it would have a picture of a blown Rover K-series engine in place of text.

So in a nutshell, if you must go for a Rover, go for a Rover 600. Don't be deceived by the more modern-looking Rover 75, it's a nightmare, unless you go for a diesel-engined model, which has an excellent BMW-sourced 2,0 common rail turbo diesel unit.

1 Like

Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by Adeleke3: 7:53am On Nov 10, 2011
@siena, actually i wanted to ask him, if he is going for rover 600, thanks for the info
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by ashiri1: 12:41pm On Nov 10, 2011
CHIMSKY:

My wife wants to buy a rover.I cont know much about it but I think it is british and would actually prefer she went for a toyota?Does anyone know about the car and the availability and affordability of its parts?Do our mechanics know how to repair the car?

are u buying a direct toks or naija used
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by r231(m): 12:51pm On Nov 10, 2011
Get the one with Honda Engine like Siena said and you are good to go
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by cogbuagu: 1:06pm On Nov 10, 2011
@ siena:
Thanks alot for this info:
i just don't understand those nos. on till i check pictures of the cars.

My man. na rover 75 be my dream car ooo. I'm in so much in love with the cars face and interior.
I don change my mind now.

Na BMW 318 I go,go for now. grin
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by yomz1e(m): 1:08pm On Nov 10, 2011
R= run away
O= oh my God! not again
V= Vehicle not reliable
E= Extinct
R= Rubbish

As a P/T car trader i run away from Rovers, dont care what model or what engine is in it.

ROVER 75 is cheap man version of Jaguar, Period!
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by sylve11: 1:28pm On Nov 10, 2011
mr. Sienna thanks 4 the info, atleast one live 2 learn. Thanks. cool
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by VoodooDoll(m): 1:36pm On Nov 10, 2011
The Rover car company no longer exists. The salvageable versions (Land Rover and MG) have been sold to other car companies.

If you must buy Rover, get the versions that are Honda Platforms. Anything else and you may struggle to get the spare parts etc.
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by hbrednic: 1:53pm On Nov 10, 2011
CHIMSKY:

if its a range rover, no problem.
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 10, 2011
When i saw this, i initially thought it was the "Range and the land" Rover's, Was wondering Y any1 would doubt its reliability undecided
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by BoOOosHBoy: 2:32pm On Nov 10, 2011
I love rover
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by jusbal(m): 2:52pm On Nov 10, 2011
Definitely yes
thats is my dream car
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by jusbal(m): 2:54pm On Nov 10, 2011
Ijogz K:

When i saw this, i initially thought it was the "Range and the land" Rover's, Was wondering Y any1 would doubt its reliability undecided
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by chidyke77(m): 3:36pm On Nov 10, 2011
My first car was Rover 827 sterling,i think its an old model bt i really enjoyed the car. The first time i was driving home to east frm Lagos was when i saw the stability and speed of the car. I accelerated 180km/hr wt d car and even negotiates bending at top speed yet the car remained stable wt its V6 turbor injector . Mine engine was similar to honda legend engine and thus easy for mechanics.
My problem wt the car started wen i had an accident and d engine was removed for the body work bt that was the beginning of my nightmare wt d car,an auto car and almost evrytin is electrical. So many wiring and buttons whch made it difficult for most of the mechanic to get it fixed correctly,after so many wrong wiring my car wasn't the same wt problems week in and out.
I later sold it at a very reduced price.
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by BabaO2: 4:08pm On Nov 10, 2011
It has actually been bought over by Honda i think. I dont see it to be a problem car
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by Freiburger(m): 4:19pm On Nov 10, 2011
I 've got a 1999 Rover 200 for about 18 months now it's just like a honda civic and the fuel consumption rate is top.
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by oluwabamis(m): 4:42pm On Nov 10, 2011
i bought rover 620 in 2008 & i have been enjoying it so far. but its the honda spec. no regrets at all. every spare you need is in d market. if you are not that convinced, just go for d good old toyota
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by cyril10(m): 4:58pm On Nov 10, 2011
I use ROVER 620SI, i bought it last year it has Honda engine becouse Honda is incharge of the company unlike the real Rover company owned by the British don't buy British made Rover.

Rover owned by Honda is very strong conserves fuel, easy to maintain, the spare parts are everywhere, Honda mechanics can repair it.

I love my Rover 620si for now.
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by CHOCHORI(m): 5:37pm On Nov 10, 2011
@ Siena - Please do you know anything about Landrover Freelander?

I mean as per the reliability and which one to buy Petrol or Diesel?

Thanks,
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by eros(m): 6:08pm On Nov 10, 2011
If Siena says the Rover is a no no, then run very fast from it.
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by cinzo: 7:56pm On Nov 10, 2011
Run for your life!!!
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by c0274309: 8:13pm On Nov 10, 2011
VoodooDoll:

The Rover car company no longer exists. The salvageable versions (Land Rover and MG) have been sold to other car companies.

If you must buy Rover, get the versions that are Honda Platforms. Anything else and you may struggle to get the spare parts etc.

Statement above is spot on. The honda platforms come in 600, 620, 623, 416, & 216 etc. You may also go for the Rover 75 specifically with the BMW Engine platform which only came in form of the 2.0 litre turbodiesel. All others were unreliable. Make sure you never go for any of the Rovers with the K-Series engines as these had aluminium engine bases which overheated and damaged quite easily.

One thing though is this car is quite old now and parts stampings / production has stopped for quite sometime now.

On a different topic someone talked about all Land Rovers being reliable. Obvious that person's never used the Discovery 3 before. Unreliable and very costly to maintain
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by omar22(m): 10:15pm On Nov 10, 2011
It has actually been bought over by Honda i think. I dont see it to be a problem car

Honda owned 20% stake in Rover, and when Honda thought they could increase the share of Stake in Rover, the British sold Rover to BMW, Honda felt betrayed and pulled out after some years thats why the Rover 25, 45 and 75 some come from various car companies,

The Rover 75 uses BMW's platform and engines the 25 and 45 comes from ford, Mazda and Rover MG

1 Like

Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 10, 2011
CHOCHORI:

@ Siena - Please do you know anything about Landrover Freelander?
I mean as per the reliability and which one to buy Petrol or Diesel?
Thanks,

The Landrover Freelander has two petrol engine options - the 1,8L I4 and 2,5L V6 (Rover K-Series and KV6 respectively). So both suffer from the same issues that afflict all non Honda-based Rovers.

There are two diesel engines - up to 2003 a 2,0L O-Series Rover unit, not the best out there and slow as hell. From 2003 onwards, it was ditched in favour of another 2,0L - the excellent common-rail turbo diesel supplied by BMW. The BMW-engined model is the only one worth buying. If you can't hack a diesel engine, then I would suggest you look at the Honda CR-V that the Landrover Freelander is loosely modelled upon.
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 10, 2011
omar22:

Rover 25, 45 and 75 some come from various car companies,
The Rover 75 uses BMW's platform and engines the 25 and 45 comes from ford, Mazda and Rover MG

The only part of the Rover 75 platform that is BMW E39 is the rear section / suspension. The front is an odd mix of BMW-Rover. The 2,0L CDTi is the BMW common-rail turbo diesel in de-tuned form to favour the Rover's FWD application.

The engines in the Rover 25 and 45 are pure Rover K-Series, and have no Ford or Mazda relationship whatsoever.
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Nov 10, 2011
chidyke77:

My first car was Rover 827 sterling,i think its an old model bt i really enjoyed the car. The first time i was driving home to east frm Lagos was when i saw the stability and speed of the car. I accelerated 180km/hr wt d car and even negotiates bending at top speed yet the car remained stable wt its V6 turbor injector . Mine engine was similar to honda legend engine and thus easy for mechanics.
My problem wt the car started wen i had an accident and d engine was removed for the body work bt that was the beginning of my nightmare wt d car,an auto car and almost evrytin is electrical. So many wiring and buttons whch made it difficult for most of the mechanic to get it fixed correctly,after so many wrong wiring my car wasn't the same wt problems week in and out.
I later sold it at a very reduced price.

The old Rover 827 Sterling was a great car. It was essentially a re-badged Honda Legend, and shared all the Honda's mechanicals - from the rear suspension, brakes, steering rack, front brakes, engine, transmission, front driveshafts, front suspension and brakes. The floor pan was Honda, as well as the external panels. The only visible Rover influence was the rear lamps and headlamps, which called for a different trunk and hood to match.

The engine was the Honda 2,7L V6 PGM-Fi (Programmed Fuel Injected) unit as fitted to the Honda Legend / Acura Legend. There was also a smaller 2,5L V6 engine, also supplied by Honda.

2,5L V6 (C25A V6).
2,7L V6 (C27A V6).
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by eddy42k(m): 6:44am On Nov 11, 2011
alot of rovers are parked in the mechanic workshop close to my house ,,they also claim the parts are expensive .75 to be precise
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by snthesis(m): 7:29am On Nov 11, 2011
was really in love with d freelander sad
guess i hv to with the range

@Siena
what do u think of TATA influence on the Range- cant imagine driving an "indian" car
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by eddy42k(m): 7:40am On Nov 11, 2011
if its range rover they are good grin grin but freelander lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Is The Rover A Reliable Car? by Cliffizzy(m): 8:08am On Sep 07, 2012
Plz My rover75 just had à problem of timming belt and it stop moving it was good and runing when i bought but after it arrive Nigeria that when the timming belt had à problem when it was been driven from the port, so can some help me out on what to do and the right place to fix it, is there à Rover mechanic in Nigeria that can fix it? ..... Every advice Will be appreeciated'!

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Interesting Facts About Honda You Should Know. / 5 Warning Tyre Signs You Should Not Ignore / Manual Transmission : Issues & Comments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.