Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! (8909 Views)

Burning Vehicle Along Lagos-ibadan Express Causes Traffic (photos) / See Ben Bruce's Electric Car That Is Charged With Solar (photo) / UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by texazzpete(m): 7:54am On Nov 04, 2011
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/04/college-students-unveil-the-kiira-ev-ugandas-first-electric-ca/

This is an electric vehicle, built by Ugandan college students with most of the parts designed and constructed locally.
What are Nigerian Universities doing?
Oh, I forgot that there is little or no research budget available for Nigerian Universities due to years of government neglect.

Take a good look at that lime green hornet pictured above, because it may just herald the dawn of a new era in Ugandan transportation. Known as the Kiira EV, this plug-in was designed by students at Makerere University in Uganda, where electric cars, as you might imagine, are something of a rare commodity. In fact, local media outlets are heralding the Kiira as the first EV ever produced within the central African country, and it's not too shabby, either. On Tuesday, after nearly three years of development, the two-seater successfully completed its first test run, reaching a top speed of 65 kilometers per hour and nimbly making its way up a 55-degree incline. According to Paul Isaac Musasizi, who oversaw the project, the Kiira is capable of maxing out at a speed of 150 kilometers per hour, and can run for up to 80 kilometers on a single charge. Aside from its steering wheel and other accessories, every other component was designed and constructed domestically.

Perhaps more important than the Kiira EV's specs, however, is what it symbolizes for Uganda. "When we started the project, we wanted to demonstrate that Uganda has as good talent as that in the US or Germany," Musasizi told Uganda's Daily Monitor. "Now that this is over, we expect and want it to be taken up." It remains to be seen whether the Kiira actually enters production anytime soon, but Musasizi says his team is already working on a 28-seat EV for public transportation, underscoring their commitment to bringing green technology to their country. Hum past the break to see video of the momentous occasion, along with coverage from Uganda's NTV.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by yeswecan(m): 3:10pm On Nov 04, 2011
Fine . . but why shame on Nigeria? there is no competition between Nigeria and Ugandan perhaps you exhibit the biggest problem with us; 'insecurity and pointless competition'. You should be happy for Ugandan not angry with Nigeria.

F.Y.I there are Nigeria inventions that Uganda haven't got. . . GROW UP.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Kx: 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2011
Nice one.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by emofine(f): 3:32pm On Nov 04, 2011
yeswecan:

Fine . . but why shame on Nigeria? there is no competition between Nigeria and Ugandan perhaps you exhibit the biggest problem with us; 'insecurity and pointless competition'.  You should be happy for Ugandan not angry with Nigeria.

F.Y.I there are Nigeria inventions that Uganda haven't got.  . .  GROW UP.

Exactly. When a fellow African nation has achieved something worthy of applause it shouldn't be used as a cause to start lamenting Nigeria instead we should be inspired. You are taking away the shine from the people who deserve it - the Ugandans. You don't know what some of our youths are capable of or have already achieved even in our current condition. . .I'm impressed by the Ugandans involved but you really eclipsed their feat by adopting such title.

1 Like

Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Kobojunkie: 3:34pm On Nov 04, 2011
emofine:

Exactly. When a fellow African nation has achieved something worthy of applause it shouldn't be used as a cause to start lamenting Nigeria. You are taking away the shine from the people who deserve it - the Ugandans. You don't know what some of our youths are capable of or have already achieved even in our current condition. . .I'm impressed by the Ugandans involved but you really eclipsed their feat by adopting such title.

ROFL~!!
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Pukkah: 3:58pm On Nov 04, 2011
emofine:

Exactly. When a fellow African nation has achieved something worthy of applause it shouldn't be used as a cause to start lamenting Nigeria instead we should be inspired. You are taking away the shine from the people who deserve it - the Ugandans. You don't know what some of our youths are capable of or have already achieved even in our current condition. . .I'm impressed by the Ugandans involved but you really eclipsed their feat by adopting such title.

I do not see anything wrong in what the OP did. What if the intention of his post was not to concentrate on what the Ugandans did but to call attention to the state of Nigeria's development? Is this a crime?

There's nothing wrong in commending or celebrating Uganda and I see no ill in doing a peer comparison between Nigeria and other countries (especially her contemporaries). Let's not start cutting comfort zone for Nigeria please. This is not where the country should be.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Arosa(m): 4:07pm On Nov 04, 2011
Nice work by the Ugandans. But I must say for those of you that think the naija students are useless; with the right funding Naija students can do the same if not better.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 04, 2011
I wonder what Africa would have become without colonization. Or an Africa with a backbone after colonization.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by emofine(f): 4:48pm On Nov 04, 2011
Pukkah:

I do not see anything wrong in what the OP did. What if the intention of his post was not to concentrate on what the Ugandans did but to call attention to the state of Nigeria's development? Is this a crime?

There's no crime at all.

There's nothing wrong in commending or celebrating Uganda and I see no ill in doing a peer comparison between Nigeria and other countries (especially her contemporaries).  Let's not start cutting comfort zone for Nigeria please. This is not where the country should be.

I'm aware of that
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by igbo2011(m): 7:23pm On Nov 04, 2011
We need to recruit them to work for Innoson.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Rgp92: 9:37am On Nov 05, 2011
Good job Ugandan  grin Nigerian students are useless, always waiting for the government.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by born2boink(m): 9:44am On Nov 05, 2011
Even generators in Nigeria work with Petrol, where would they plug the car and how did they generate electricity in it to be working.does it make use of battery only with wiring, ?
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by claremont(m): 9:53am On Nov 05, 2011
texazzpete:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/04/college-students-unveil-the-kiira-ev-ugandas-first-electric-ca/
This is an electric vehicle, built by Ugandan college students with most of the parts designed and constructed locally.
[size=14pt]What are Nigerian Universities doing?[/size]
1. Nigerian universities spend more time on strike or planning on going on strike, than they spend doing research.

2. Even if they are not on strike, our electricity infrastructure cannot support inventions that utilize electricity.

3. Hunger pervades the Nigerian landscape, someone who hasn't addressed a basic physiological need, cannot start addressing higher needs. It's basic Maslow theory.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Duke007(m): 10:03am On Nov 05, 2011
@poster,ur attitude has taken the shine off these ugadans.FYI,Covenant university student designed&constructed an electric car earlier this year,sometime around July,and test drive from lagos to maiduguri at a top speed of 100km/hr.Please get ur facts right b4 makg a post.Nigerian students are highly industrious and brillant.Covenant uni has already patented this invention&are taking steps to commercialize it.Google it to read more.I gues dat we stil remain giant of Africa!
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Duke007(m): 10:04am On Nov 05, 2011
@poster,ur attitude has taken the shine off these ugadans.FYI,Covenant university student designed&constructed an electric car earlier this year,sometime around July,and test drive from lagos to maiduguri at a top speed of 100km/hr.Please get ur facts right b4 makg a post.Nigerian students are highly industrious and brillant.Covenant uni has already patented this invention&are taking steps to commercialize it.Google it to read more.I gues dat we stil remain giant of Africa!

1 Like

Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 05, 2011
africa got talents, I'm proud to be an African
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Duke007(m): 10:17am On Nov 05, 2011
@born2fuck,what a name!God didnt born u to f, k. U were wonderfully made to fulfill a purpose.Strive to know that purpose and fulfill it.Life is more than f, ck.Real don't go abt it like ur name implies.Take dis as a Pastor's view.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 05, 2011
Duke007:

@poster,your attitude has taken the shine off these ugadans.FYI,Covenant university student designed&constructed an electric car earlier this year,sometime around July,and test drive from lagos to maiduguri at a top speed of 100km/hr.Please get your facts right b4 makg a post.Nigerian students are highly industrious and brillant.Covenant uni has already patented this invention&are taking steps to commercialize it.Google it to read more.I gues dat we stil remain giant of Africa!

Could you post the link for the CU invention. This particular invention of the ugandan student is all over the internet but i haven't heard of the CU invention.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by born2boink(m): 10:42am On Nov 05, 2011
Duke007:

@born2fuck,what a name!God didnt born u to f, k. U were wonderfully made to fulfill a purpose.Strive to know that purpose and fulfill it.Life is more than f, ck.Real don't go abt it like your name implies.Take dis as a Pastor's view.
This doesn't sound like answers to my questions
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Duke007(m): 10:54am On Nov 05, 2011
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by mhm(m): 11:01am On Nov 05, 2011
The CU guys built the battery and not the car.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by femmy2010(m): 11:08am On Nov 05, 2011
Heard in the news yesterday that Ugandan college student were protesting cos Government has refused to pay their "meal allowance" for the past 3 months.
we certainly shouldn't expect less from student with filled stomach.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 05, 2011
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by yeswecan(m): 11:27am On Nov 05, 2011
femmy2010:

Heard in the news yesterday that Ugandan college student were protesting cos Government has refused to pay their "meal allowance" for the past 3 months.
we certainly shouldn't expect less from student with filled stomach.

Are you suggesting we should also allocate resources for 'meal allowance'. Government is not Santa Claus my friends and in the important sense it has no MONEY.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Natasha2(f): 11:38am On Nov 05, 2011
at poster nice but what's the shame about? don't you watch the science EXPO? don't you see what our little boys and girls do? I'm talking about primary and secondary school kids My own problem is why the government do not develop the children everything ends at the EXPO, Don't you watch young inventors? I see such things all the time done by little children, Don't you watch voyage of discovery? don't you see all the inventions our university students come up with? to that poster who said Nigerian students are useless trust me if you just have a glance of any of these programmes I mentioned you would eat your words big time and feel ashamed for what you just said.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Agybabe(f): 11:46am On Nov 05, 2011
i am happy for them. But weeping for the poster. @poster why must you put shame on Nigeria? At least 9ja is not the only country in Africa. We have initiatives but government is dulling.
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Emmyk(m): 11:56am On Nov 05, 2011
Natasha,,:

at poster nice but what's the shame about? don't you watch the science EXPO? don't you see what our little boys and girls do? I'm talking about primary and secondary school kids My own problem is why the government do not develop the children everything ends at the EXPO, Don't you watch young inventors? I see such things all the time done by little children, Don't you watch voyage of discovery? don't you see all the inventions our university students come up with? to that poster who said Nigerian students are useless trust me if you just have a glance of any of these programmes I mentioned you would eat your words big time and feel ashamed for what you just said.
that's it!
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Natasha2(f): 12:10pm On Nov 05, 2011
Emmyk:

that's it!
My dear its really funny how some nlanders talk without reasoning *smh*
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by eghost247(m): 12:29pm On Nov 05, 2011
texazzpete:

What are Nigerian Universities doing?
Oh, I forgot that there is little or no research budget available for Nigerian Universities due to years of government neglect.

what about u why dont u make one rubbish
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by Nov1ce(m): 12:51pm On Nov 05, 2011
@Poster:
This is really not the time to start pointing fingers, I'm really tired of complaint and blame passing. If you've got all the great ideas yourself, why don't you bring something novel. Nigeria has gotten to a point where the individuals need to start making the changes themselves and stop relying o a confused government,
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by mirage(m): 8:16pm On Nov 05, 2011
mhm:

The CU guys built the battery and not the car.
@ Mhm, Please kindly read again,

Imagine driving from Lagos to Maiduguri, a distance of about 22 hours without fuel in your car. Well, just before you say this can only happen in the dream, consider a recent technological breakthrough achieved by Covenant University, CU, Ota, Ogun State.

With the aid of rechargeable batteries, the car designed by researchers at CU can go all the way from Lagos to Maiduguri without having need for a recharge. Solely powered by a battery that is designed to last for 48 hours[b] the car is built with high voltage [/b] and anti-shock device and runs with a speed limit of 120 kilometres per hour!,

http://www.tellng.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=291:a-covenant-of-inventions&Itemid=125
Re: Ugandan Students Build An Electric Vehicle. Shame On Nigeria! by samyng(m): 8:17pm On Nov 05, 2011
[size=13pt]Nice one and thumbs up,  Also heard some one already did that in Covenant University,  But the one am so sure about is the electric bike display at Cannaland some time around August during the Youth Convention Programme[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? / CAR Service Manual / Please The Correct Way Of Setting Side View Mirrors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.