Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,560 members, 7,827,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail (26309 Views)

EFCC Releases Willie Obiano And His Wife, Ebelechukwu / EFCC Releases Saraki / EFCC Releases Bank Transactions As Details Of Atiku’s Son-in-law, Lawyer’s Arres (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by adenigga(m): 9:49am On Jan 10
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has released the suspended Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Betta Edu, on bail, after hours of grilling her in respect of the approval she gave for the payment of about N585 million of the ministry’s funds into the private account of a civil servant.

President Bola Tinubu on Monday suspended Mrs Edu from office and ordered EFCC to investigate the approval and other related scandalous revelations, following a public outrage expressed on the issue.

EFCC had immediately summoned her to appear at its headquarters in Abuja on Tuesday.

She honoured the invitation on Tuesday morning and was held in custody till night when she was granted bail, PREMIUM TIMES learnt.

EFCC spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, confirmed to our reporter on Wednesday that Mrs Edu was released on bail on Tuesday. Mr Oyewale, however, refrained from commenting on the terms and conditions.

She was given a bail yesterday’s night. I want to tell you that the investigation still continues,” Mr Oyewale asked.

When pressed to comment on the bail conditions and some details of the outcome of the questioning sessions that took place on Tuesday, Mr Oyewale said, “I cannot speak further on the details.”

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported that the EFCC began questioning Mrs Edu Tuesday morning.

Citing a highly reliable source at the anti-graft agency, NAN reported that the suspended minister was at the commission’s headquarters on Tuesday morning.

“An official invitation by the commission was sent to her on Monday and she honoured the invitation on Tuesday.

“She is being interrogated by the commission and she is expected to give proper insight into the issue at hand,’’ the source said.

The source told NAN that Mrs Edu’s predecessor, Sadiya Umar-Farouk, the pioneer minister of the ministry then christened as the Ministry of Social Development, Disaster Management and Humanitarian Affairs, returned to the commission for questioning on Tuesday after she was released on bail on Monday.

Mrs Umar-Farouk is being investigated over a staggering N37.1 billion allegedly laundered by officials of the ministry during her tenure as minister.

The source also told NAN that Halima Shehu, the suspended National Coordinator and Chief Executive Officer of the National Social Investment Programme Agency, was still undergoing investigation at the EFCC.

Ms Shehu was responsible for overseeing the Conditional Cash Transfer Programme initiated by former President Muhammadu Buhari to give succour to vulnerable groups and individuals.

Betta Edu’s case

PREMIUM TIMES reported the scandal, including the approval of payment of hundreds of millions of naira into private accounts of civil servants.

Mrs Edu has come under criticism from Nigerians for ordering the transfer of N585.2 million into the private bank account of a civil servant, who is the accountant in charge of grants for Vulnerable Nigerians.

A few days after Mrs Edu ordered the suspension of Ms Shehu for alleged financial impropriety, documents leaked to the public showed that she ordered the payment of N585.2 million into the private bank account of a civil servant, who is the accountant in charge of Grants for Vulnerable Nigerians.

A leaked memo showed that the minister had in December, requested Oluwatoyin Madein, the accountant general of the federation, to transfer the money from the account of the National Social Investment Office to the private account of Bridget Oniyelu, the accountant of a federal government poverty intervention project called Grants for Vulnerable Groups, a project under Mrs Edu’s ministry.

The request contravenes various sections of Nigeria’s Financial Regulations 2009 meant to prevent fraud and other forms of corruption in government business.

Speaking through her media aide, Rasheed Zubair, on Friday, Mrs Edu insisted that the act is legal in the country’s civil service. She alleged that she was being targeted for her stance against corruption.

However, Chapter Seven, Section 713 of Nigeria’s Financial Regulations 2009 states that “Personal money shall in no circumstances be paid into a government bank account, nor shall any public money be paid into a private account.”

It also added that “Any officer who pays public money into a private account is deemed to have done so with fraudulent intention.”

The Accountant General of the Federation, Oluwatoyin Madein, on Saturday distanced herself from the controversy adding that her agency had advised the ministry of the proper mode of such transfers.

Announcing the suspension of Mrs Edu by Mr Tinubu in a statement on Monday, presidential spokesperson, Ajuri Ngelale, said the president took the action in line with his avowed commitment to upholding the highest standards of integrity, transparency, and accountability in the management of the commonwealth of Nigerians.

The president also tasked a panel led by the Coordinating Minister of the Economy and Minister of Finance to, among other functions, conduct a comprehensive diagnostic of the financial architecture and framework of the social investment programmes.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/657618-efcc-releases-suspended-minister-betta-edu-on-bail.html

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by Georgry(m): 9:52am On Jan 10
grin

“I also invested $50million of Anambra State money in the power sector. I invested several billions in banks, including banks where I have shares. I was investing for the future of the state; it doesn’t matter whether I have shares or not. If I have the opportunity of building the future of the state, wouldn’t I have done that?"

Mr Peter Obi.

Today Obedients are asking for the head of the minister of interior, such a bizarre case of selected amnesia.

81 Likes 16 Shares

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by vanbonattel: 9:52am On Jan 10
Her name is Edu, not Emefiele grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by Dicado: 9:55am On Jan 10
As usual. This will encourage other criminals in the public space to continue stealing.

As a public office holder in China, if you're caught laundering public funds, you'll be sent to jail without any bail option.

I think we should do that in Nigeria. No bail for any politician who is convicted of a crime. They must be made to serve their sentence in prison fully.

That's the only way that Nigerian politicians will learn to avoid stealing.

So, now, what's the point if she can set herself free?

31 Likes 10 Shares

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by Odogwuzack: 10:02am On Jan 10
Dicado:
As usual. This will encourage other criminals in the public space to continue stealing.

As a public office holder in China, if you're caught laundering public funds, you'll be sent to jail without any bail option.

I think we should do that in Nigeria. No bail for any politician who is convicted of a crime. They must be made to serve their sentence in prison fully.

Unfortunately that means your online Messiah/President should be in prison by now.

https://saharareporters.com/2019/01/30/peter-obi-questioned-why-he-invested-30m-state-funds-company-where-his-family-owns-shares

24 Likes 7 Shares

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by GOFRONT(m): 10:21am On Jan 10
As regards Betta Edu's present Predicament, Very soon, every public office Holder would have Funds allocated to his or her office BUT to chop the fund will become a Wahala..........Chop anyhow and get Fired anyhow..

9 Likes

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by Chinjo2: 10:31am On Jan 10
Dicado:

Looting, embezzlement and fraud are bailable offences under Nigerian law until a conviction is secured.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by Racoon(m): 10:48am On Jan 10
Bail must never be an option for any public office holder indicted in corruption in Nigeria.

9 Likes

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by adenigga(m): 10:57am On Jan 10
Dicado:

She's not yet convicted, she's under investigation.....

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by fidelmarshal199: 10:58am On Jan 10
Racoon:
Bail must never be an option for any public office holder indicted in corruption in Nigeria.

She was only invited for questioning. Only the Court can determined if she is to be detained or not. The topic of this thread is misleading.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by StarRida: 11:43am On Jan 10
vanbonattel:
Her name is Edu, not Emefiele grin
Emeifele's case was pure vendetta Tinubu sees him as an enemy who wants to jeopardize his presidential ambition

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by JagabanB: 11:55am On Jan 10
Dicado:

Have you convicted her?
What is it with all these online expertise?

9 Likes

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by Forumites: 12:05pm On Jan 10
StarRida:
Emeifele's case was pure vendetta Tinubu sees him as an enemy who wants to jeopardize his presidential ambition
At the expense of Dangote’s business empire.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by Moneyyyy09: 12:10pm On Jan 10
fidelmarshal199:

She was only invited for questioning. Only the Court can determined if she is to be detained or not. The topic of this thread is misleading.
Now you people know that it's only court that can detained her or not Emefiele and Bawa spent so many months inside EFCC custody

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by Nicepoker(m): 1:47pm On Jan 10
She is too pretty to sleep in jail grin. Nonsense
Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by Navallo: 2:33pm On Jan 10
Georgry:
grin

“I also invested $50million of Anambra State money in the power sector. I invested several billions in banks, including banks where I have shares. I was investing for the future of the state; it doesn’t matter whether I have shares or not. If I have the opportunity of building the future of the state, wouldn’t I have done that?"

Mr Peter Obi.

Today Obedients are asking for the head of the minister of interior, such a bizarre case of selected amnesia.

Amnesia laced with an overdose of hypocrisy.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by theophorus(m): 3:24pm On Jan 10
With this BettaEdu-Gate, I have come to realize that the People destroying this Country are very close to all of Us and the Youth will probably be worst than their Fathers, except a Miracle Happens.

Who would have thought a Medical Doctor, who is already a PhD holder at 37 would be found in this kind of brouhaha?

7 Likes

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by omenka1: 3:24pm On Jan 10
Eg
Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by KingLennon(m): 3:25pm On Jan 10
This will be the end of the case. No matter how you put it, a thief can never probe a thief sad
Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by globalresource: 3:25pm On Jan 10
Good
Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by naija4life247: 3:26pm On Jan 10
Good. She will be arranged in Court soon.

Another Sheriff is in town. His name is Emilokan Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu Jagaban

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by NaijaCover(m): 3:27pm On Jan 10
Wow
Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by Chicagograduate(m): 3:28pm On Jan 10
She has been set free of course.
Meanwhile,my sister was credited with 500k in her Zenith Bank account to purchase goods.The bank put her account on pending when she wanted to pay for the goods.She went to the bank and filled some documents before the account was lifted.
How come the bank didn't suspend the civil servant whose account beta sent 500m Naira into?This is one of the banks that are plotting to influence the government to shut down opay and other digital banking.

6 Likes

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by Klington: 3:28pm On Jan 10
shocked
Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by naija4life247: 3:30pm On Jan 10
Georgry:
grin

Mr Peter Obi.

The thief Peter Obituary will not go unpunished for looting Anambra and making millions of Anambra indigenes to run to Lagos

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by Alvin212(m): 3:30pm On Jan 10
Nice one

Ina achukwa Aja
Ina achukwa Aja

O bu onye achu aja
Ka ona agaziri iseeeeeeh
Re: EFCC Releases Betta Edu On Bail by Realestatepro(m): 3:30pm On Jan 10
This lady is just making a mockery of us the youths .
We keep clamouring for a chance to lead, now they give the youths a chance through this lady and she's not even up to 12months in the office and this major Looting scandal is coming up.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Benue: Fr. Alia Receives Certificate Of Return (photos) / Saraki’s Senators’ At CCT Shrink From 81 To 12 / Rotimi Amaechi Announces Free Rail Ride On Lagos-Ibadan Route

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.