Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,122 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro (36612 Views)

APC Woman Leader, Betta Edu Leads Women Solidarity Walk For Tinubu in Borno / The APC National Women Leader Dr Betta Edu Shines At Ekiti APC Campaign / Betta Edu Joins APC, Launches Campaign For National Women Leader (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by adesegun121(m): 7:33pm On Jan 10
Femi Pedro, a former deputy governor of Lagos state, has asked Nigerians to give Betta Edu, suspended minister of humanitarian affairs and poverty alleviation, a second chance.

BACKGROUND

Edu has been under fire after a memo surfaced wherein she asked Oluwatoyin Madein, accountant-general of the federation, to transfer N585 million to a private account.

On Monday, President Bola Tinubu suspended her from office and directed a probe of all the financial transactions in her ministry.

On Tuesday, the suspended minister visited the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for grilling.

The former Lagos deputy governor in a statement on Wednesday, said she will learn a hard lesson from her mistakes and properly conduct herself in the future.

“I first met Betta when she was introduced to me as a candidate for Women Leader of our party in Abuja in early 2022,” the statement reads.

“Shortly after, she was in Lagos on a courtesy visit and I immediately liked her style, her carriage and comportment.

“She exuded confidence, was articulate, knew what she wanted and appeared to me as focused, determined and ambitious. She later won the election and became the Party’s Women Leader.

“Betta worked very hard during the campaign. She was everywhere mobilizing women, campaiged with the Presidential Campaign team all over the country, and attended most of the events.

“We have all read about her wrongdoings and her suspension by the President and questioning by the EFCC.

“This is as it should be. I hope and pray that at the end of the day, she would have learned a hard lesson on how to conduct herself as a public officer and navigate the banana peels in the corridors of power.

Betta Edu is like a daughter to me and I feel really sorry for her for the mess she finds herself in. I asked myself what if she’s my daughter? Would I disown her? She’s a promising bright star who could have served this nation in higher capacities.”

Pedro advised young Nigerians who are appointed into public offices to get a mentor with some measure of credibility to guide them.

“The nation needs more young people in public service and I hope her misadventure will not discourage others in her age bracket,” he added.

“My advice to all young people who are called to service in public office is to seek out a mentor of a public officer serving or retired with some measure of credibility and good pedigree who will guide and mentor them on how to navigate the murky waters of public office.

“There are still many young, smart, focused, and dedicated young men and women out there who are interested in public service at the leadership level not because of the attraction of free money and power but for the genuine desire to serve the country and the people.

“I urge you not to be discouraged but to continue to pursue your dream. The nation needs you.”

https://www.thecable.ng/shell-learn-from-her-mistakes-femi-pedro-asks-nigerians-to-give-betta-edu-a-second-chance/amp

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by adesegun121(m): 7:33pm On Jan 10
Ṣé ń gbó weyrey undecided undecided

Awon Ojelu

282 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by GOFRONT(m): 7:35pm On Jan 10
Should Tunji Ojo be given a second chance too??

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by Macdeey: 7:38pm On Jan 10
Second Chance to Finished the Looting that stated abi undecided undecided undecided

165 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by Winneepye: 7:38pm On Jan 10
Secondly chance when there are over 200m people in Nigeria.

142 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by Chicagograduate(m): 7:43pm On Jan 10
So she should be granted amnesty like Fulani herdsmen bandits?Why do we glorify crime in Nigeria?This money belongs to the vulnerable people.Should her counterparts, Farouk be also given a second chance?

85 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by EreluRoz: 7:44pm On Jan 10
Nonsense, it's gotten so bad they don't even see corruption as anything again or is he thinking Nigeria is his family affairs?

157 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by Chicagograduate(m): 7:47pm On Jan 10
I will not be surprised if Pedro is involved in this criminality

139 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by LibertyRep: 7:48pm On Jan 10
When some people are yet to get the first chance.

Over a hundred million qualified people are on the queue.

61 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by 2mch(m): 7:51pm On Jan 10
You are a very stupid and daft man.

137 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by Bobloco: 7:57pm On Jan 10
Second chance to loot again and I know too well that she will be discreet this time around

54 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by RepoMan007: 8:01pm On Jan 10
A second chance to perfect the stealing technique? If she was about performance, she won't be gallivanting up and down when she was suppose to be prudent and effective.

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by Omihanifa: 8:02pm On Jan 10
This one fit be one of the beneficiaries of the edugate

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by Stephen0mozzy: 8:07pm On Jan 10
Na so.....na so Nigeria take spoil so.

My anger can't be put in words here....make dem no go ban me angry

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by afroedo: 8:08pm On Jan 10
this is the reason, you did not get Gov.Bola Ahmed Tinubu as is successor

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by ivolt: 8:08pm On Jan 10
GOFRONT:
Should Tunji Ojo be given a second chance too??
I am not aware he has lost his first chance?
Do you have a credible source for your insinuation?

13 Likes

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by joinnow: 8:09pm On Jan 10
adesegun121:
Olufemi Pedro, former Deputy Governor, Lagos State has described as unfortunate the circumstances Dr Betta Edu, the suspended Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, found herself and pleaded that she should not be consigned into the dustbin of history.

Chief Pedro in a statement noted rather sadly that what happened to the youthful minister can happen to any young person with limited experience in public life and urged Nigerians to give Betta Edu a second chance.

While stressing that the public is right in condemnation of the alleged maleficence reported at the Humanitarian Ministry, Chief Pedro said the lessons of the debacle must not be lost on all Nigerians , and especially the youth, adding that nobody should laugh at the 37- year old Minister.

“What happened to her could have happened to many of us whether by omission or commission”, Pedro said.

Despite the seeming misadventure, Chief Pedro maintained that the country needs more young people in position of authority, insisting that the error of one or two youth should not discourage that.

Pedro who described the suspended minister as his daughter, said the mistake made by Betta Edu should not be a reason to discard her and the contributions she made to the party and present administration.

He however advised young people who find them in position of authority to seek out mentors that guide them through banana peels often associated with public office. The Statement reads:

“I first met Betta when she was introduced to me as a candidate for Women Leader of our party in Abuja in early 2022. Shortly after, she was in Lagos on a courtesy visit and I immediately liked her style, her carriage and comportment. She exuded confidence, was articulate, knew what she wanted and appeared to me as focused, determined and ambitious. She later won the election and became the Party’s Women Leader.

“Betta worked very hard during the campaign. She was everywhere mobilizing women, campaiged with the Presidential Campaign team all over the country, and attended most of the events. We also traveled together to attend the Chattam House event where she was asked to respond to a question by our Candidate and she discharged herself creditably.

“I wasn’t surprised when she eventually became a Minister. Honestly, if I were the President, I would not have hesitated to also appoint her as Minister because she’s not too young to serve as Minister, she’s a qualified medical doctor, experienced enough as a former commissioner and women leader of our party, and has demonstrated drive, passion, and loyalty to qualify as a Minister.

This is where I disagree with those who are tagging her as too inexperienced, too young, and too green to be appointed Minister.

“We have all read about her wrongdoings and her suspension by the President and questioning by the EFCC.

“This is as it should be. I hope and pray that at the end of the day, she would have learned a hard lesson on how to conduct herself as a public officer and navigate the banana peels in the corridors of power.

“Betta Edu is like a daughter to me and I feel really sorry for her for the mess she finds herself in. I asked myself what if she’s my daughter? Would I disown her? She’s a promising bright star who could have served this nation in higher capacities.

“The nation needs more young people in public service and I hope her misadventure will not discourage others in her age bracket.

“My candidate advice to all young people who are called to service in public office is to seek out a mentor of a public officer serving or retired with some measure of credibility and good pedigree who will guide and mentor them on how to navigate the murky waters of public office.

“To us critics and commentators, I get it that we are genuinely shocked and angry as to the level of malfeasance we are witnessing in public service, but be aware that we should rather learn from her mistakes rather than laugh at her. What happened to her could have happened to many of us whether by omission or commission.

“Public service is a serious and sensitive business where your actions or inactions could have serious consequences for millions of citizens that you’ll never meet personally. Temptations, greed, and indiscipline could easily be your undoing especially if you are young, carefree, and with no one mentoring and guiding you.

“There are still many young, smart, focused, and dedicated young men and women out there who are interested in public service at the leadership level not because of the attraction of free money and power but for the genuine desire to serve the country and the people. I urge you not to be discouraged but to continue to pursue your dream.The nation needs you”.

lalasticlala, Mynd44, OAM4J Seun Nlfpmod
Fowl fowl fowl no second chance
In a country of over 200m and y
her thief thief character make her lose this golden opportunity. Let her thank God this is not North Korea. Prison for don full because her family and grand parents all will be imprisoned.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by Coder2Client(m): 8:17pm On Jan 10
So, the minister is young?

It is embarrassing to us, youth.

If a youth minister could be found in this situation then our case is sorry

7 Likes

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by justtoodark: 8:18pm On Jan 10
Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by Gandollar(f): 8:23pm On Jan 10
grin
Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by DSoj(m): 8:35pm On Jan 10
He must have been high on cheap Russian weed .
See mumu talk

14 Likes

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by franchasofficia: 8:43pm On Jan 10
If Tinubu wants to suspend Betta Edu, then my man Tunji Ojo must also go with her to make it balanced, if not it is a tribal sentimental judgment because what Tunji Ojo did is absolute corruption even though he is trying so much in his reviving of our Passport office and other interior matters.

Nevertheless, Tunji Ojo is a corrupt good guyman cool

If Ebola who is a known criminal and treasury looter have decided to save face and to score cheap point with this Betta Edu saga, then he must be brave enough to dismiss both Betta Edu and Tunji Ojo at the same time because both contravened our law.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by adesegun121(m): 8:44pm On Jan 10
franchasofficia:
If Tinubu wants to suspend Betta Edu, then my man Tunji Ojo must also go with her to make it balanced, if not it is a tribal sentimental judgment because what Tunji Ojo did is absolute corruption even though he is trying so much in his reviving of our Passport office and other interior matters
Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by Hakeem66: 8:44pm On Jan 10
I think you have to join her Mr man. If she's another person you will now be shouting crucify her crucify her.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:50pm On Jan 10
Our advice to all young people who are called to service in public office is to seek out a mentor of a public officer serving or retired with some measure of credibility and good pedigree who will guide and mentor them on how to navigate the murky waters of public office.

God bless Nigeria 🇳🇬

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:50pm On Jan 10
Reactions between parties.....

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by Klington: 8:51pm On Jan 10
tongue

Only thieves and criminals will say a thing like this.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by Bayaar02(m): 8:51pm On Jan 10
Ṣé ń gbó weyrey

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Betta Edu A Second Chance — Femi Pedro by SoNature(m): 8:51pm On Jan 10
Investigative journalists are doing an awesome job lately. They should be the eye of the government.

We know that Tinubu has no good reputation, but he needs to deal with these corrupt elements to redeem his image a bit.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Naira Rain At NASS As Senators Collect N23.4m Each- The Nation / 'No Tribe Can Claim Lagos, Even Oba Of Lagos Is From Benin Lineage.'--Lagos Govt / #LazyNigerianYouths Trends On Twitter As Nigerians React To PMB's Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.