Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,201 members, 7,811,535 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:05 PM

Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 (33069 Views)

Deadline Remains January 31 For Old Naira Notes — CBN / Old Naira Notes: No Extension, January 31 Deadline Stands — CBN / Bank Alert: Customers Panic As FCMB Fingered In Fresh N7.5b Fraud Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by FreeStuffsNG: 9:14pm On Jan 10
Deposit money banks (DMBs) have continued to inform their customers about the directive handed them by the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) to deduct the backlog of the Electronic Money Transfer Levy (EMTL) on previous foreign currency transactions carried out by January 31, 2024.

The directive from the FIRS said deductions will cover transactions between 2021 and 2023. Recall that last month, the FIRS directed deposit banks to deduct and remit the EMTL on foreign currency (FCY) transactions going forward. The tax body said the levy was in line with the Finance Act 2020 and Stamp Act 2004, which impose an EMTL on the transfer of money to any financial institution on any type of account.

EMTL regulations provide for a singular and one-off levy of ₦50 on the recipient of any electronic receipts or transfers of ₦10,000 or above. For equivalent receipts or transfers carried out in other currencies, the levy will be charged at the exchange rates determined by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

The regulations mandate the receiving bank to collect and remit the Levy to the FIRS by the next working day after the transaction date or on such other date as prescribed by the FIRS. In addition, the receiving bank is required to deduct the Levy from the amount payable if the receiver is a walk-in customer who does not have an account with the bank.

Indeed, in the notice sent by Access Bank to customers, titled ‘Important Notice’, it said: “We write to inform you of FIRS notice to all banks, in line with the Finance Act 2020 and Stamp Act 2004, to remit the EMTL from foreign currency (FCY) inflows.

“Previously, the EMTL was solely applicable to accounts receiving electronic deposits of N10,000 and above or its equivalent. However, starting January 2, 2024, the deduction will be extended to FCY inflows equivalent to N10,000 and above, incurring a charge of N50 (FCY equivalent).

“In compliance with this notice, outstanding EMTL on FCY inflows from January 2021 to December 2023 are also to be deducted by January 31, 2024. We appreciate your understanding and thank you for trusting Access Bank.”

https://guardian.ng/business-services/banks-alert-customers-to-emtl-commence-remittance-january-31/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by FreeStuffsNG: 9:14pm On Jan 10
The directive from the FIRS said deductions will cover transactions between 2021 and 2023. Recall that last month, the FIRS directed deposit banks to deduct and remit the EMTL on foreign currency (FCY) transactions going forward. The tax body said the levy was in line with the Finance Act 2020 and Stamp Act 2004, which impose an EMTL on the transfer of money to any financial institution on any type of account.

Your account will be debited by your bank for over 3 years of transactions and the deductions remitted to the FIRS.
God bless Nigeria for ever!Check my signature for free stuffs!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by Conner44: 9:29pm On Jan 10
Imagine today I transferred N100 to someone with my account and in my sms alerts I received notifications for the N100 transfer plus an additional 2 notifications for N25 stamp duty and N10 one thing - one thing fee . . . undecided now they have perfected their plans to add another extra deduction and alert to the trio. cry

Hmm . . . This is indeed Shege Banza Plus Pro Max loaded cool

Na to dig hole for backyard install geepee tank dey store my money in cash be the next move. Make I see who wan come tinubulate my hard earned finances this year.

111 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by Iseoluwani: 9:29pm On Jan 10
ah

make i dey use my OPAY

zenith byebye

63 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by ozo13(m): 9:30pm On Jan 10
Conner44:
Hmm
no big deal.someone that can afford to send foreign cash should be ready to part away 50/100 naira.But I hope the banks haven't make dr own deduction Sha all this while

3 Likes

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by daveP(m): 9:32pm On Jan 10
Reverse-Robin Hood Style

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by babaRUNtinz(m): 9:32pm On Jan 10
The poor just dey get poorer

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by ACRI: 9:33pm On Jan 10
Criminal banking system in Nigeria

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by MrSundry: 9:33pm On Jan 10
This is absolute rubbish. Debiting people for transactions that occured since 2021 does not make any sense. Why can't they start the enforcement from 2024 transactions

104 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by Venom11(m): 9:33pm On Jan 10
Omo issue.. Na Wai, how man wan survive this country, I no vote again aswerugad mehn

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by AntiChristian: 9:33pm On Jan 10
Na small change no dey para!

You get foreign dough na!
Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by sirblend: 9:33pm On Jan 10
Tînûbú government will favor you and your family...

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by lawalosky(m): 9:33pm On Jan 10
H
Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by yetmao: 9:33pm On Jan 10
GTB, worse pass, every transaction, you receive or transfer dem go collect N50.

Still charge SMS charges join

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by Seequadry(m): 9:34pm On Jan 10
One of the main reasons forign transactions was banned on local atm cards.... Millions of people paying for Twitter badges, Facebook ads, Google, that 50naira is too much tho

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by kalemy(m): 9:34pm On Jan 10
What of the charges that banks have been debiting their customers for cash withdrawals?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by makavalley(m): 9:35pm On Jan 10
What about unnecessary debts from banks with different charges we don't understand or we can't explain when are they refunding us ?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by emnite(m): 9:35pm On Jan 10
Wahala tasking everywhere and we're not seeing the money

15 Likes

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by joachimnkenchor(m): 9:36pm On Jan 10
THIEVES EVERYWHERE

13 Likes

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by nautybride: 9:37pm On Jan 10
God abeg oooooo! We don enter another one chance!

6 Likes

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by Skillsnigeria: 9:37pm On Jan 10
Hmmm
Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by Stevenson20: 9:38pm On Jan 10
Make una kukuma kill us all in this corntree.
The rich keep getting richer, while the poor keep getting poorer.

10 Likes

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by Cassandraloius: 9:38pm On Jan 10
CRIMINALS!

8 Likes

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by kokakola: 9:38pm On Jan 10
Let's learn to live with what we cannot change.
Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by Dpharisee: 9:39pm On Jan 10
FreeStuffsNG:

Your account will be debited by your bank for over 3 years of transactions and the deductions remitted to the FIRS.
God bless Nigeria for ever!Check my signature for free stuffs!
Your fanatism in defending everything thrown at hapless Nigerian citizens by this administration is not different from the man below👇

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by SaLongs1(m): 9:40pm On Jan 10
Tax, tax, tax!! Only to hear humongous amounts being looted. It doesn't make any sense squeezing the masses dry only for the elite to steal and frit away.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by adecz: 9:40pm On Jan 10
undecided

Right from Lagos, the only way Tinubu
sabi generate revenue is by levies, rates
and taxing of anything or anybody taxable.

They have taxed many companies out of
existence and many of these companies
have closed shop in Nigeria.

He is gradually bringing this taxing mentality
to the national level and we already don
over feel am, to the level that cost of eating
and transportation to work has become impossible to majority of Nigerians.

Yet, he is brazen enough to move in
convoy of a hundred Jeeps and buy jeeps
of 180m for lawmakers❗️❗️❗️

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by tuzle(m): 9:41pm On Jan 10
Them they whine person ni. #50 3years backlog for all transfer done on foreign account, abi na me no understand. The amount they will deduct on some people account will be too much. The thing can enter 1m especially for people that do a lot of transaction.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by deewhydoski(m): 9:42pm On Jan 10
yetmao:
GTB, worse pass, every transaction, you receive or transfer dem go collect N50.

Still charge SMS charges join
Deactivate sms alert and be using email. That what I did 5 years ago. Shingba den no dey deduct for sms

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by tuzle(m): 9:44pm On Jan 10
deewhydoski:

Deactivate sms alert and be using email. That what I did 5 years ago. Shingba den no dey deduct for sms
they dont do this again especially for gtb.
Re: Banks Alert Customers To EMTL, Commence Remittance January 31 by Pipefitter: 9:44pm On Jan 10
How are the poor paying for executive recklessness, I wouldn't have a problem if we are enjoying the dividends of all these taxation but now it seems Nigerian masses are contributing money for the elites to maintain their life style .

21 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ugandan Bank Insists That A Sick Man On Oxygen Comes Before Getting His Money / Africa Millionaire Explosion:The 16Countries Where The Ultra-Wealthy Are Booming / Help! Strange Monetary Alerts In My Access Bank Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.