Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,855 members, 7,813,910 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? (18268 Views)

Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. / Bishop Oyedepo: This Is The Most Corrupt Regime In The History Of Nigeria / ‘nigeria Full Of Religious, But Ungodly People’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by pongwa(m): 2:08pm On Jan 11
Siberia01:
Almost everybody I know wakes up with different bible verses on their social media platforms. You see everybody going to their different places of worship, praying, crying ,dancing , shouting. Alot of others preach repentance.

Then I wonder,how come we have such a corrupt society?

Jobs are meant for a particular church congregation..

If your not a member of the church no job for you

You see politicians in churches and mosques
Who are the ones stealing this monies grin ?
Muslims wey go pray five times daily, 150 times monthly and still do zina or pack money.
Christians on the other hand na another set of hypocrites. Them go punish you and embarass you for wetin dem dey do normally
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Franzinni: 2:08pm On Jan 11
We all are quick to point out the symptoms... how many of you are willing to attempt the cure?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Roycemadeit(m): 2:08pm On Jan 11
It is only a person who hasn't read the Bible but always listens to the words of a thief who preaches selected verses that would believe that God is holy and has nothing to do with corruption!

Aside from the foundation of religion founded on falsehood. We see from the pages of the word of God that God is not only guilty of nepotism but falls short of making an example of a person who has carried out an evil act, instead, he blesses them or punishes others.

Come to think of it. If grace is what saves man from sin because none can live above sin, why do we suppose believers would be righteous?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Pinicop(m): 2:10pm On Jan 11
Bullshit

Being religious but with bad attitudes shows that people are mere bigots and hypocrates

By the way, we don't need any religion to be honest in particular and good people in general.

Religion is a scam.
Religion is a cancer.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Yankee101: 2:10pm On Jan 11
2 Timothy 3
King James Version
3 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as their's also was.

10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,

11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.

12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Rick9(m): 2:11pm On Jan 11
Ttipsy:
…and dirty too
Take a look at our cities how stinky they are
But whites are not as Religious yet they are clean pple
Cleanliness they say it's next to Godliness. Africans Cities are too dirty and till now I'm wondering why..
Anytime I use Google Maps / Google Earth to view cities around the world I'm always amazed at the beauty, order and cleanliness but Africa cities, tufiakwa..
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by LikeAking: 2:12pm On Jan 11
Blaze14k:
Exactly brilliant question.. it seems as if the more religious u are the more corrupt u become

Example are our religious leaders..
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Rick9(m): 2:13pm On Jan 11
Religion and Spirituality are not the same thing..sadly many people are practicing religion but not spirituality.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by LikeAking: 2:15pm On Jan 11
Rick9:

Cleanliness they say it's next to Godliness. Africans Cities are too dirty and till now I'm wondering why..
Anytime I use Google Maps / Google Earth to view cities around the world I'm always amazed at the beauty, order and cleanliness but Africa cities, tufiakwa..

Have forgotten we are monkeys?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Perocom(m): 2:15pm On Jan 11
Siberia01:
Almost everybody I know wakes up with different bible verses on their social media platforms. You see everybody going to their different places of worship, praying, crying ,dancing , shouting. Alot of others preach repentance.

We are originally a corrupt set of people. The church came and e found out we could use it as a launch-pad to enhance our inherent corrupt nature and that is where we are
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by LikeAking: 2:16pm On Jan 11
Rick9:
Religion and Spirituality are not the same thing..sadly many people are practicing religion but not spirituality.

Excuses..

Show me on person practicing spirituality?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Roycemadeit(m): 2:18pm On Jan 11
Yankee101:

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Could Timothy be talking of the ridiculous book that was vetoed by a number of men with power to control the masses and later translated by a King, the same book he never saw bound together? The book that has God speaking from two sides of his mouth? With discrepancies and contradictions. And ridiculous stories?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by bigcasava1(m): 2:20pm On Jan 11
David was religious and yet corrupt. Jesus came out from David linages. Allow God to judge us.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by LikeAking: 2:20pm On Jan 11
ppogba:
What makes you think that it is only Nigerians that are corrupt?

Is Gianni Infantino a Nigerian?
Is Mitchell Platimi a Nigerian?

The people that bought Sancho for ManU at 78 million pounds, are they Nigerians?

The people that bought players at ridiculous amount for Chelsea FC, are they Nigerians?

The type of sleaze that goes on.at the Vatican, are they being perpetrated by Nigerians?

I know it is customary to always want to come up with topics that will denegrate the country.

Quiet!

These corrupt practices you mentioned are duff from what we have here..

That’s manipulation in sports…

It’s very mini or, affects only a few.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by LikeAking: 2:21pm On Jan 11
bigcasava1:
David was religious and yet corrupt. Jesus came out from David linages. Allow God to judge us.

God doesn’t judge..

Be wise.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by bigcasava1(m): 2:27pm On Jan 11
LikeAking:

God doesn’t judge..

Be wise.
James 4vs12. I am wise
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by marvrick: 2:29pm On Jan 11
Siberia01:

Bro, it's not a rocket science why despite our religiosity our country remains perpetually backward. It's not the fault of religion.

The simple reason is this: Those other nations are more homogeneous than Nigeria. So they tend to be more likeminded and focused on the good of everyone in their society. They have an organic connection/link with their society/country. They own the country because they are the country.

Ours is a country begging for that organic connection with its inhabitants, with us but strangely we have always refused to give it. Apart from our heterogeneity which is a massive bulwark against any meaningful development, the system that holds the numerous differents tribes together is skewed very disproportionately against some groups of people.

Stop blaming religious people who seek God's solace due to their awareness of the real reason why Nigeria is not working. As we can never have a government that cares for our wellbeing, it's only natural and sensible for people to turn to God as their only choice.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by CockPit: 2:32pm On Jan 11
Demigod22:
This was my project topic few years ago. I try to explore religious hypocrisy in Nigeria, and the effect of such hypocrisy on non-converts.

Every Sunday, we have millions trooping to Church and on Friday, millions streaming to Mosque, however, corruption, violence, and different maladies won't stop.

Both leaders of such religions are not exempted. We use religion weapon to exploit the masses economically, politically and psychologically, fighting for worldly superiority and amassing wealth.

Religion is the most dangerous tool after education, and religious is the greatest weapon after fear, for fear is gods' greatest arsenal, that's why the worshippers created hell.

How is education a dangerous tool. I am curious to know.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by LikeAking: 2:36pm On Jan 11
bigcasava1:
James 4vs12. I am wise

Na theory !
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by pho: 2:38pm On Jan 11
SoNature:

Oga, church and wickedness have nothing in common. God is not responsible for people's hypocrisy, evil and deceit. The problem with Nigeria is that we abused everything, including religion. Because God is merciful, Nigerians abused religion.

But the same God made it abundantly clear that there's a day of judgment and that everyone will account for their deeds. While we wait for that day, anyone who dies appears before God in judgment

I thought about this today aswell and came across this your post. You have said it well. Nigeria abuse everything including Religion. QED

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Duplik8t77(m): 2:39pm On Jan 11
they dont believe in God. dem dey lie to themselves
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Niok: 2:45pm On Jan 11
Poor man go steal for north dem go butcher commot him hand
Rich man go steal for north dem go praise and worship am
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by omoredia: 2:46pm On Jan 11
KnownUnknown:

If you had sense you would know I detest religion and the post was about your inferiority complex regarding “the black man” using religion for harm.

A fooI doesnt know who pass am. U are a big fooI if u dont know that a white man pass u
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by samfrancis1(m): 2:53pm On Jan 11
SoNature:

Oga, church and wickedness have nothing in common. God is not responsible for people's hypocrisy, evil and deceit. The problem with Nigeria is that we abused everything, including religion. Because God is merciful, Nigerians abused religion.

But the same God made it abundantly clear that there's a day of judgment and that everyone will account for their deeds. While we wait for that day, anyone who dies appears before God in judgment
hmn, na whc theology school you go bro ??
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by YourGFsnatcher: 3:00pm On Jan 11
Siberia01:

I have been asking this question but no answer. We are very blind when it come to religion. You can see the number of people beating their chest that TB Joshua was innocent or TB Joshua was guilty like they are the keepers of heaven register. People that have never sat with him before or know what he's doing off camera are 100 percent sure he's not guilty or he's guilty.

When I'm seeing the comments.. I was wowwwwed...most Nigerians are highly uninformed... no wonder anything in the name of religion in this country thrives and u have cult like followership ɓut very corrupt people. I'm beginning of dislike Nigerian and African Christianity and Islam. Its just bunch of brainless people.

Religion is supposed to liberate us... but molluscs have been used and they refuse to use their brain over religion
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by samcolee(m): 3:01pm On Jan 11
adioolayi:
Na same thing we dey talk..

Everyone that has passed comments here, myself inclusive, are Nigerians...they are religious.

They are passing comments that portray them as "Holy and Not Corrupt"..

So, who are the corrupt Nigerians

grin grin grin grin

Only the police and judiciary lols
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by bdon12: 3:04pm On Jan 11
SoNature:

In Nigeria,d real wicked ones are very active in church...take it or leave it.I personally dont giv out jobs to anyone people claim or call pastor...they always d worse kinda humans.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by mceze(m): 3:11pm On Jan 11
SoNature:

Love this response.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by KnownUnknown: 3:15pm On Jan 11
omoredia:

A fooI doesnt know who pass am. U are a big fooI if u dont know that a white man pass u

You are a tragicomedy. Maybe “a white man” is indeed better than you with your mentality.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by 151ahunna: 3:19pm On Jan 11
Let Nigeria adopt the Chinese and North Korea method of dealing with political criminals and watch how sanity will restore to this countryLet Nigeria adopt the Chinese and North Korea method of dealing with political criminals and watch how sanity will restore to this country...
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by GreatAchiever1: 3:23pm On Jan 11
LIGHTROOM:

John 1:12-13,
To those that received and believe in him he gave power to become sons of God.

He did not gave them power to become Christian but sons of God.
So instead of asking someone are you a Christian or a Muslim, while not ask if he or she is a child of God.

Who is a Christian? what is Christianity? Go check the meaning of these then look at yourself and tell me if you don't profess the same thing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? / Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? / Is It A Sin When You Don’t Go To Church On Sunday?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.