Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,780 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:11 PM

Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? (18266 Views)

Though I Am Not Religious But Religion Has Some Benefits. / Bishop Oyedepo: This Is The Most Corrupt Regime In The History Of Nigeria / ‘nigeria Full Of Religious, But Ungodly People’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Dawnofhope: 8:43am On Jan 12
Most Nigerians join religion for personal gain and benefits , they believe religion can bring about material successes rather than Eternal Reward. therefore any where they can get material benefit , is a religion and religion is where you can have material Reward not Minding the sources but the value and quantity of the resources expected

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Lumee0420: 11:01am On Jan 12
Siberia01:
Almost everybody I know wakes up with different bible verses on their social media platforms. You see everybody going to their different places of worship, praying, crying ,dancing , shouting. Alot of others preach repentance.

Then I wonder,how come we have such a corrupt society?

Jobs are meant for a particular church congregation..

If your not a member of the church no job for you

You see politicians in churches and mosques
Who are the ones stealing this monies grin ?
st Dominic’s and central mosque …lol
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Ohraykon: 5:57pm On Jan 12
lapintoz:
Because our God is merciful. He doesn't punish them instantly for their wrong doings. And government doesn't jail them either. So we will be No. 1 most corrupt nation in the world and No 1 most religious nation as well.

Even more than the Vatican and Saudi Arabia
which god is those two scam jehovah and allah?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Demigod22: 8:49pm On Jan 13
CockPit:

How is education a dangerous tool. I am curious to know.

Education give us the undeserving power, an unrestricted power to destroy the world, and that's exactly what we are doing. So education is a dangerous weapon.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by CockPit: 9:22pm On Jan 13
Demigod22:

Education give us the undeserving power, an unrestricted power to destroy the world, and that's exactly what we are doing. So education is a dangerous weapon.

So whats your alternatives, illiteracy and Ignorance right?
I assume you are typing from a product of education-A mobile phone.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Somebody987(m): 9:24pm On Jan 13
I can understand your frustration and skepticism towards the prevalence of religion and its apparent inability to create a morally upright society. It is indeed disheartening to witness corruption and inequality persist despite the widespread practice of religion.

One possible explanation for this contradiction is that religion, though often claimed to promote moral values, is ultimately a man-made construct. It reflects the beliefs and values of its adherents, which can vary greatly from person to person and community to community. While some individuals genuinely strive to live virtuous lives based on their religious teachings, others may exploit their positions of power within religious institutions for personal gain.

Moreover, the intertwining of religious institutions with politics and the economy can exacerbate the issue. When jobs and opportunities are monopolized by specific religious congregations, it leads to discrimination and exclusion based on religious affiliation. This system perpetuates inequality and fosters an environment where corruption can thrive, as those in power exploit their religious authority for personal or political gain.

It is important to note that corruption and societal problems are not exclusive to religious contexts. They exist in secular societies as well. However, it is disheartening when religion, which claims to offer moral guidance and promote justice, fails to address these issues effectively.

As an atheist, I would argue that the solution lies in tackling corruption and inequality through secular means, such as promoting transparency, accountability, and equal opportunities for all individuals, regardless of their religious beliefs. By focusing on the principles of fairness, justice, and evidence-based decision-making, we can work towards creating a more equitable and just society.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Somebody987(m): 9:26pm On Jan 13
As an atheist, I don't believe in the existence of a god or a divine judgment. However, I can understand that from a religious perspective, you attribute the problems in Nigeria to the abuse of religion rather than the inherent nature of God.

From a logical standpoint, it is important to recognize that religion, including Christianity, is a human creation. It is subject to interpretation, manipulation, and exploitation by individuals and institutions. While you may argue that God is not responsible for people's hypocrisy, evil, and deceit, it is worth considering that the concept of God itself, as presented by religious doctrines, is also a product of human interpretation and belief.

In the case of Nigeria, if religion is being abused and misused, it raises questions about the effectiveness of the religious institutions and their ability to guide their followers towards moral behavior. It also highlights the potential pitfalls of relying solely on religious beliefs and practices to address complex societal issues.

From a secular perspective, addressing corruption and societal problems requires a multifaceted approach that includes strengthening institutions, promoting transparency, and fostering a culture of accountability. It involves recognizing that solutions to societal issues must be rooted in evidence-based approaches, ethical principles, and the well-being of all individuals, regardless of their religious beliefs.

While the idea of divine judgment may provide a sense of justice and accountability in religious contexts, it is important to acknowledge that from a non-religious standpoint, the responsibility for addressing societal problems rests on individuals, communities, and governing bodies rather than a divine imaginary entity.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Somebody987(m): 9:29pm On Jan 13
Demigod22:

Yea and religion also does the same. What's your point. You're right Education is power. You're wrong, far more people abuse religion than they do with education, after all, knowing what a bomb is isn't as dangerous as knowing how to build a bomb.
Knowing what a bomb is, that's having information.
Knowing how to build a bomb... that requires education, either from your fellow terrorists, or a book.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Somebody987(m): 9:33pm On Jan 13
atobs4real:
They are brainwashed before they believed in God.
So, don't expect much for Africans especially Nigerians

They are brainwashed. True. One shouldn't expect much. Wrong. Nigeria and Africa as a whole has potential, it's just that Africa isn't going to go anywhere with the thousands of years old bullshit religions they carry on their backs weighing their asses down LOL.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Demigod22: 1:41pm On Jan 14
Somebody987:

Yea and religion also does the same. What's your point. You're right Education is power. You're wrong, far more people abuse religion than they do with education, after all, knowing what a bomb is isn't as dangerous as knowing how to build a bomb.
Knowing what a bomb is, that's having information.
Knowing how to build a bomb... that requires education, either from your fellow terrorists, or a book.

When we take sentiment aside, traditionally, having information is also part of education. Religion can't survive without education. For every dogma, Creed, doctrine, ritual, festival and fears we are expose to in religion is qualify to be called Education. Information is knowledge, how do you get knowledge? You learn, and learning is Education.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Demigod22: 1:44pm On Jan 14
CockPit:

So whats your alternatives, illiteracy and Ignorance right?
I assume you are typing from a product of education-A mobile phone.

Sir, if you understand my first comment that triggered the op to quote me before I responded with the above answer, you will agree that I am not against education. I said Education is the most powerful and dangerous tool, religion comes second and fears follows. And he asked how is Education dangerous.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Rick9(m): 2:23pm On Jan 19
LikeAking:

Excuses..
Show me on person practicing spirituality?
You and who is making excuses?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Religious But Corrupt? by Ojay0445(m): 8:30pm On Jan 28
Read romams 7 frm verse 15.....many pple are sham believers....just faking perfection....bt unfortunately they can't control their mind because they re captive.....they hv no choice than to please satan

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Catholic Church Bans Ejike Mbaka From Endorsing Politicians / Salvation Ministries Building Collapses In Okpanam, Delta State, Many Dead / Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.