Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria (31104 Views)

No More HND Computer Science National Board For Technical Education / HND Computer Science/bsc In Computer Science / Almajiri Schools Built By Jonathan Government Decaying Across Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by mrvitalis(m): 10:54am On Jan 13
parkervero:

Alaye calm down, they are offering engineering courses but they are not certified engineering wise. They are certified with technology nomenclature.
What is written in the departmental building tell me

You think the word technology was put there for fancy?

3 Likes

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Advancedman(m): 10:58am On Jan 13
ThinkSmarter:
Computer Science has broaden due to the advancement of Information technology.
perhaps, in the future, there will be faculty of Computer science or Information technology with departments like data science/analytics, cybersecurity, ai/machine learning, app/web development, ui/ux, etc

Not future but what ought to be even before now.
Our course are too complex.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by nigg(m): 10:59am On Jan 13
He was right with what he stated earlier. They study engineering technology at the polytechnics while engineering is studied at the university. Both have different approaches in terms of teaching and research.
parkervero:

Alaye calm down, they are offering engineering courses but they are not certified engineering wise. They are certified with technology nomenclature.

1 Like

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Miyachi: 11:00am On Jan 13
RepoMan007:

The polytechnics and technical colleges have derailed so much they think they are competing with BSc.
While I consider it better to give graduates a sense of direction into newer, hotter, narrow fields of CS they can realistically practice, more can still be done.

Computer and elect-elect engineering is another bastardized program in the HND space. PC technicians are even equating their ability to troubleshoot PCs to full fledged computer engineering and will gladly shame CE or EE graduates with their ability to use gmail or identify a bad RAM or install an OS.
That is because they don't understand what Computer Science is.
Computer Science is large a highly theoretical that has little to do with computers. It is the study of computation.

Polytechnics really have no business offering computer science as they lay an emphasis on applied and technical education.
You'll notice that even networking under a B.Sc Computer Science course deals mainly with understanding the TCP/IP model, protocols and how information is encoded and sent in bytes - you don't need to know all these to connect a computer to a network.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Athemisia: 11:00am On Jan 13
ImoleNaija:
In fact, Polytechnic educations should be scrapped across Nigeria, or their applications clearly stated.

There's no need wasting the students' precious time in Polytechnics when their certificates would be subjected to ridicule after graduation.
Rather than scrap, it should be reform. Just like this.
Polytechnic students should be subjected to strictly practicals and field work instead theories while sitting in class.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Athemisia: 11:02am On Jan 13
Miyachi:

That is because they don't understand what Computer Science is.
Computer Science is large a highly theoretical that has little to do with computers. It is the study of computation.

Polytechnics really have no business offering computer science as they lay an emphasis on applied and technical education.
You'll notice that even networking under a B.Sc Computer Science course deals mainly with understanding the TCP/IP model, protocols and how information is encoded and sent in bytes - you don't need to know all these to connect a computer to a network.
Some of these courses have outlived their purpose.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by parkervero(m): 11:05am On Jan 13
nigg:

He was right with what he stated earlier. They study engineering technology at the polytechnics while engineering is studied at the university. Both have different approaches in terms of teaching and research.

I am more particular about the content.

I have witnessed a federal Poly and state university engineering lectures and I can tell you that Poly lectures are more engaging and challenging at the time while university lectures are always on theories lots don't even do research universities claim they do.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Invest4growth: 11:07am On Jan 13
Will the universities also stop admitting students for bsc computer science? How does the play out..or the universitirs will now admit on bachelors computer engineering. Hope this will not play out like the stoppage of the study of history in secondary schools and later brought back
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by ITbomb(m): 11:08am On Jan 13
Wey dem go see AI lecturer?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Yestogood: 11:09am On Jan 13
Igboslayer:
All curriculum needs to be unbundled and entrepreneurship should be the foci point instead of the senseless curriculum.

Exactly. I graduated in 1997. By then, the curriculum was already hopelessly outdated. It's a crying shame that we have largely held on to the same curriculum as has existed since colonial days.
In order to execute any upgrade, however, it should be noted that professors and PhD holders in most universities are not equipped to teach the skills we are looking for.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by parkervero(m): 11:11am On Jan 13
Invest4growth:
Will the universities also stop admitting students for bsc computer science? How does the play out..or the universitirs will now admit on bachelors computer engineering. Hope this will not play out like the stoppage of the study of history in secondary schools and later brought back

My concern is about the HND graduates in those new courses seeking admission into university. Will they be admitted to study computer science straight?

1 Like

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by parkervero(m): 11:13am On Jan 13
ITbomb:
Wey dem go see AI lecturer?

That is easy. The computer science lecturers can enrol in an AI course that will equip them.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Miyachi: 11:17am On Jan 13
Benkingg:
The FG are the mojor problem btw Bsc and HND, it won't curst them anything to convert all polytechnics to universities.

That defeats the purpose of a polytechnic.

I don't understand why people see polytechnics as inferior versions of universities. A polytechnic is meant to teach technical skills, it is not meant to be a dumping ground for people who couldn't make it into a university. If you choose to go to a polytechnic, it should mean that you feel more technically inclined not that you couldn't make the cut-off mark. Their core competencies are not the same.

1 Like

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by parkervero(m): 11:21am On Jan 13
Miyachi:

That defeats the purpose of a polytechnic.

I don't understand why people see polytechnics as inferior versions of universities. A polytechnic is meant to teach technical skills, it is not meant to be a dumping ground for people who couldn't make it into a university. If you choose to go to a polytechnic, it should mean that you feel more technically inclined not that you couldn't make the cut-off mark. Their core competencies are not the same.

But that is actually what it is.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by hotspec(m): 11:24am On Jan 13
RepoMan007:

The polytechnics and technical colleges have derailed so much they think they are competing with BSc.
While I consider it better to give graduates a sense of direction into newer, hotter, narrow fields of CS they can realistically practice, more can still be done.

Computer and elect-elect engineering is another bastardized program in the HND space. PC technicians are even equating their ability to troubleshoot PCs to full fledged computer engineering and will gladly shame CE or EE graduates with their ability to use gmail or identify a bad RAM or install an OS.
on what facts did you base your above opinions?
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by RepoMan007: 11:25am On Jan 13
hotspec:
on what facts did you base your above opinions?
otimopo
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by barinedan(m): 11:28am On Jan 13
What will now be the fate of those who HND in computer science
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Miyachi: 11:29am On Jan 13
parkervero:

But that is actually what it is.
No, Computer Science is as much about computers as Geography is about telescopes. Don't mind the name, many departments use Computing Science instead of Computer Science.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Originalsly: 11:32am On Jan 13
shreygautam:

The HND Computer Science program provides comprehensive education in computer science fundamentals, programming languages, and system analysis. It equips students with practical skills in software development, networking, and database management. The curriculum emphasizes problem-solving and critical thinking. Graduates are well-prepared for diverse roles in the IT industry.

First off .... abeg .... bear in mind ... I have absolutely no knowledge in this field ... but have an opinion! I do agree that with the change in that the HND was turning out Jack of all trades but master of none." This new direction would produce more "masters" since one will now have the opportunity to specialize in a sector of his choice. But then I'm thinking he should have broad foundation as pointed out in the mention above and for the reasons given.... better understanding and more flexibility. Maybe a year or two or whatever for the "broad foundation " and the rest for specialization?
Then on the change ... I was expecting to hear about the upgrading and modernization of the facilities and to have them fully equipped in each discipline to allow graduates to easily transition into the real world work force. Above all .... who would be the "shepherds"? ... the lecturers? Would they be up to date in their discipline to prepare graduates for the future? ... or will it be the "back to the future" ones that did not keep up with developments or were never masters in the discipline? These are my concerns as an outsider ..... insiders ... is any of this a concern to you?
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by justmondris: 11:34am On Jan 13
Good move but it will not change anything due to the poor quality of our education system
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Holluwhakemmy(f): 11:45am On Jan 13
Please I need help on Artificial intelligence and Machine Learning I'm about to go for training at Iloko Ijesha
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Dammyrosky(m): 12:07pm On Jan 13
That's good to hear.
You study Computer Science at the ND level. And you choose a specialized field at the HND level.
If the Polythechnics will duly engage their students with practical knowledge, it will be great.
And if they only give out theories it will be wise for the students to go all the way by themselves to equip themselves with the practical skills in those fields. To the extents that by the time they're graduating, they are ready for the market place.

2 Likes

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by saintruky(m): 12:10pm On Jan 13
tom4greatness:
Are you good at mathematics?
Do you have what it takes to render online mathematics problem solving?
I will be linking you to a foreign site where you can make at least $200 if you work really hard.
I will also guide you on how you can pass their test so as to enable you become their tutor.
If you are interested chat me up on WhatsApp ( 07031912193). Note: only for those tutors that are good at mathematics.
See you on the top!

Legit?
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Bugcompiler(m): 12:40pm On Jan 13
RepoMan007:

You don't know what you are saying. Generalising things equates ignorance. I hold HND in CS from a federal Polytechnic before I went for Bsc. I learnt nothing new in the so called Bsc. Most of my lecturers in poly were much better than the uni PhD lect who couldn't construct ordinary flowchart. I have beaten uni graduates in many ways, many times holding HND. I have been building useful softwares since my ND, with many of my colleagues doing same.

5 Likes

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by T0BY(m): 12:41pm On Jan 13
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Frontend: 12:42pm On Jan 13
Nice Development
Me I want to focus on software development
Because so many people thinks that I can repair laptop and desktop
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by RepoMan007: 12:45pm On Jan 13
Bugcompiler:

You don't know what you are saying. Generalising things equates ignorance. I hold HND in CS from a federal Polytechnic before I went for Bsc. I learnt nothing new in the so called Bsc. Most of my lecturers in poly were much better than the uni PhD lect who couldn't construct ordinary flowchart. I have beaten uni graduates in many ways, many times holding HND. I have been building useful softwares since my ND, with many of my colleagues doing same.
You ended up supporting my submission about polytechnics trying to be like universities. Polytechnics, the world over has a separate focus different from universities. Your HND and BSc weren't suppose to be identical but because Nigeria is a jungle, the leccturers in polytechnics have hijacked them and turned the syllabuses upside down.
Thank you for reinforcing my point.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by WantsandMore: 1:11pm On Jan 13
RepoMan007:

both the EE & CE graduates make it possible cos I don't understand studying such courses for years & non of the products can boast of a patent to solve local problems. At least the Technicians from P/C know their jobs but the designers are falling short of their task. It's terrible. Infact this is why more P/C graduate think they should be equal to EE/CE graduate when infact it shouldn't be a debate. Both are supposed to be efficient in their jobs creating a balance ecosystem & harmony
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by RepoMan007: 1:32pm On Jan 13
WantsandMore:
both the EE & CE graduates make it possible cos I don't understand studying such courses for years & non of the products can boast of a patent to solve local problems. At least the Technicians from P/C know their jobs but the designers are falling short of their task. It's terrible. Infact this is why more P/C graduate think they should be equal to EE/CE graduate when infact it shouldn't be a debate. Both are supposed to be efficient in their jobs creating a balance ecosystem & harmony
Samsungs for example is investing billions of USD per year to expand. Where will a CE graduate specifically get such to rival them? You should use your brain more oga. Or is it by using peoples live to plus career that we will get there?
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by MT: 1:35pm On Jan 13
Sirchiboy:
The Federal Government of Nigeria has put an end to the study of the Higher National Diploma (HND) Computer Science across all the technical institutions operating in the country. This is to encourage diversification into the world of Computer Science and allow the country's graduates to access the wide space of the field.

The stoppage of the study of HND Computer Science across HND Awarding institutions in Nigeria is contained in a letter obtainable by The Round Table which was dated January 8th, 2024, and duly signed by Prof. Idris M. Bugaje, Executive Secretary, National Board for Technical Education, Federal Republic of Nigeria. The letter was addressed to the Director General, National Youths Service Corp (NYSC) while the Director General, Industrial Training Fund (ITF) and all Rectors, Provosts and Head of Polytechnics, Monotechnics, and all similar technical institutions were copied.

With this development, no HND Awarding institutions will be allowed to admit a new set of students to study Computer Science from the 2024/2025 Academic Session as the board projects to ease out the study of HND Computer Science by 2025.

Meanwhile, students who might have wanted to study computer science at the HND level can now choose from any of the four specialized areas floated from the former "Computer Science" discipline.

The four newly floated areas of specialization floated from Computer Science include HND Artificial Intelligence, HND Networking and Cloud Computing, HND Software and Web Development, and HND Cybersecurity and Data Protection.

Why not apply same to Bsc?

Also, is Database not a specialization on its own too?
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by WantsandMore: 1:35pm On Jan 13
RepoMan007:
Samsung's for example is investing billions of USD per year to expand. Where will a CE graduate specifically get such to rival them? You should use your brain more oga. Or is it by using peoples live to plus career that we will he there?
tbh you'll be better off taking your own advice cos i don't understand where you are driving with your opinion

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

JAMB Catchment Areas and ELPS For 2016/2017 Admission / Latest Scholarships in Nigeria - Updated Daily - EDUREGARD / Toluwalase Awoyemi Wins N72 Million 2018 Rhodes Scholarship (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.