Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria (31169 Views)

No More HND Computer Science National Board For Technical Education / HND Computer Science/bsc In Computer Science / Almajiri Schools Built By Jonathan Government Decaying Across Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by 460olapitan: 1:49pm On Jan 13
OkOk...

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by justking(m): 1:49pm On Jan 13
The four newly floated areas of specialization floated from Computer Science include HND Artificial Intelligence, HND Networking and Cloud Computing, HND Software and Web Development, and HND Cybersecurity and Data Protection.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by rilChilz: 1:51pm On Jan 13
Nice move. All this elementary syllables been taught in high institutions in the name of "am studying one big course" must end. In this current age & beyond there is need to diversify & specialize especially in technology.
Person go sidown insyd lecture hall for over 4yr only to learn THEORY WITHOUT PRACTICAL. Just enter bank ask dem make dem comot dia Certificate, you go Shock!!
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Igboslayer: 2:08pm On Jan 13
Yestogood:

Exactly. I graduated in 1997. By then, the curriculum was already hopelessly outdated. It's a crying shame that we have largely held on to the same curriculum as has existed since colonial days.
In order to execute any upgrade, however, it should be noted that professors and PhD holders in most universities are not equipped to teach the skills we are looking for.
Very true..
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Gbolahan111: 3:14pm On Jan 13
It’s a welcome development.

To record success, higher institutions must have a standard lab for practicing and testing of software. They can even link up with professional bodies/companies like AWS, Cybrary, TryHackMe, CompTia, Acloud Guru to mention just a few. This will prepare the students for real life experience and will be able to compete in the international market.

Also, new set of lecturers with industry-recognized CERTIFICATIONS must be employed. Not all those old lecturers that are battling with Fortran and C lang. The lecturers must be ready, and able to defend the certifications that they are bringing to the table.

Lastly, every student must be encourage to write one or two certifications before graduating. Additionally, the students’ final year projects should be projects that are solution-driven and measurable. For instance, imagine assigning different Yabatech HND cybersecurity students to implement incident response threat solutions for banks. Nice isn’t it?

These are just few of my thoughts.

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Gboom: 4:43pm On Jan 13
Whether they split the course to four or ten places what matters is the practical application by the graduating students.
I remember two of my mates during NYSC that both read computer science in Yabatech and FUTA respectively. The guy from Yabatech had lower credit but practically he was ahead of the guy from FUTA who even had a 2:1 grade
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by gudugudumeje: 4:49pm On Jan 13
NBTE is running amock as usual. What an over-bloated, over-rated OND...... I wonder what a degree in Computer Science would mean?
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by CyberWolf: 4:50pm On Jan 13
faceland:

At Google, starting salary for AI engineers is 1 million DOLLARS.

If they are not just teaching them definitions but they are really expert, such graduates wouldn't be unemployed for long.
soffry dey lie
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by faceland: 5:06pm On Jan 13
CyberWolf:
soffry dey lie

Yeah. May be it is an exaggeration but I heard it from an AI expert (forgot his name, Israeli American gay man).

Part of the payment is to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA).
The AI race is similar to the Nuclear race of the past or the space race of the past (between USA and USSR).
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Bugcompiler(m): 5:16pm On Jan 13
RepoMan007:
You ended up supporting my submission about polytechnics trying to be like universities. Polytechnics, the world over has a separate focus different from universities. Your HND and BSc weren't suppose to be identical but because Nigeria is a jungle, the leccturers in polytechnics have hijacked them and turned the syllabuses upside down.
Thank you for reinforcing my point.

How do you know which institution category hijacked the syllabus? Are u the designer of the said syllabus? If you know exactly what we are talking about you will know it's a shame for any CS lect to draw a flowchart like a bag of groundnut. I'm sure you are holding a conversation in a field you know nothing about. You are one of those bent at reducing poly graduates to near nothing.

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by gidjah(m): 5:39pm On Jan 13
I went to school and out in d early 2000s with this same computer science ,Very challenging course but no materials ,the Lecturers don't even have first hand practical experience, the school could boast of analog computers on the tables but no data to power for function.We RUN all our old outdated progs by heart without data online ! I remember FOTRAN COBOL BAISIC etc.Our generation suffered in d hands of tis govt wallahi.Only a few of us had good basic knowledge of cumputer operation (through learning then) in very few computer centres(as fondly called then )in the whole institution.We were the DON then who led the classes with oral mental cramming of hard sentences and formula.No Facebook book then only Aol (America online )! God save Africa !
IamANigerianMan:

If you are good in any of those area certificate is useless to you.. Artificial intelligent ? Software development ? My problem is how are they going to get lecturers , these lecturers you see are theorical, those guy that are good at these courses would not like to take up this Job... Non of this polytechnic lecturers or University lecturers in Nigeria can write html which is hypertext mark language... God help us.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by RepoMan007: 6:05pm On Jan 13
Bugcompiler:

How do you know which institution category hijacked the syllabus? Are u the designer of the said syllabus? If you know exactly what we are talking about you will know it's a shame for any CS lect to draw a flowchart like a bag of groundnut. I'm sure you are holding a conversation in a field you know nothing about. You are one of those bent at reducing poly graduates to near nothing.
the university syllabuses looks like like that of other world renowned schools unlike our polytechnics where they leave practical and specific technical work for general theory oriented syllabuses.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Bugcompiler(m): 6:32pm On Jan 13
RepoMan007:
the university syllabuses looks like like that of other world renowned schools unlike our polytechnics where they leave practical and specific technical work for general theory oriented syllabuses.

Your ignorance is incurable. Let's show our work if you are man enough from your university. I hold distinction from the Fed Poly Nasarawa and the best graduating student in computer science, 2016. It's verifiable. Just ask of Debugger in the school. have built several portals for Nigerian govt. Among others with AI driven. You will go get some nonsense degree, jobless and come here to make noise. I hold Bs too and I have seen both sides. You keep generalising like a fool when knowledge depends on individual effort
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by sonnie10: 6:39pm On Jan 13
Originalsly:

First off .... abeg .... bear in mind ... I have absolutely no knowledge in this field ... but have an opinion! I do agree that with the change in that the HND was turning out Jack of all trades but master of none." This new direction would produce more "masters" since one will now have the opportunity to specialize in a sector of his choice. But then I'm thinking he should have broad foundation as pointed out in the mention above and for the reasons given.... better understanding and more flexibility. Maybe a year or two or whatever for the "broad foundation " and the rest for specialization?
Then on the change ... I was expecting to hear about the upgrading and modernization of the facilities and to have them fully equipped in each discipline to allow graduates to easily transition into the real world work force. Above all .... who would be the "shepherds"? ... the lecturers? Would they be up to date in their discipline to prepare graduates for the future? ... or will it be the "back to the future" ones that did not keep up with developments or were never masters in the discipline? These are my concerns as an outsider ..... insiders ... is any of this a concern to you?
Exactly what the change is about. The student will do computer science at OND level and then go on to specialize in HND.

Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by commoditiesnig: 6:43pm On Jan 13
Brilliant.. Very good development by Government
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by sonnie10: 6:43pm On Jan 13
RepoMan007:

To be honest with you, a polytechnic graduate gets more credit hours than a university graduate when both are evaluated for admission by foreign schools.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by RepoMan007: 7:23pm On Jan 13
sonnie10:

To be honest with you, a polytechnic graduate gets more credit hours than a university graduate when both are evaluated for admission by foreign schools.
practicals or theories?
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by RepoMan007: 7:28pm On Jan 13
Bugcompiler:

Your ignorance is incurable. Let's show our work if you are man enough from your university. I hold distinction from the Fed Poly Nasarawa and the best graduating student in computer science, 2016. It's verifiable. Just ask of Debugger in the school. have built several portals for Nigerian govt. Among others with AI driven. You will go get some nonsense degree, jobless and come here to make noise. I hold Bs too and I have seen both sides. You keep generalising like a fool when knowledge depends on individual effort
no vex o. The world over, polytechnics are different from university yet complementary. It is only in jungle Nigeria the lecturers turn it all into a fight.
I can see your pain and apologize on behalf of every HND holder out there for your stupidity.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by sonnie10: 7:37pm On Jan 13
RepoMan007:
practicals or theories?

More Credits to satisfy the requirements for a masters degree program.
This saves time and money.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Adv14(m): 7:44pm On Jan 13
ThinkSmarter:
Computer Science has broaden due to the advancement of Information technology.
perhaps, in the future, there will be faculty of Computer science or Information technology with departments like data science/analytics, cybersecurity, ai/machine learning, app/web development, ui/ux, etc

Some institutions now have faculty of computer science
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Bugcompiler(m): 7:48pm On Jan 13
RepoMan007:
no vex o. The world over, polytechnics are different from university yet complementary. It is only in jungle Nigeria the lecturers turn it all into a fight.
I can see your pain and apologize on behalf of every HND holder out there for your stupidity.

I thought you have any achievement to point as a holder of almighty uni degree like I did. No achievement but empty pride. I said point out one thing you have done with your CS degree or mention your class of degree like I did, make verifiable claims. For your info, I also hold Bsc degree, I'm only frowning at your ignorance.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by MeineMutter: 7:58pm On Jan 13
Nice one, though long over due.

They would need more lecturers. I am certain, they would suffer to get lecturers for AI because they are very very very scarce. What of the salary to pay them?
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by lagosrd: 8:46pm On Jan 13
MMempire:
What about the conversion of HND to BSc/Btech?

I am not aware of that, and I don't think we ever discussed it at all anywhere. Please just follow the new guidelines. No more HND computer science.
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Anyways who are the people that will take those specialized courses.
Re: FG Unbundles HND Computer Science Across Nigeria by Love800(m): 12:35pm On Jan 14
Wat abt english?
tom4greatness:
Are you good at mathematics?
Do you have what it takes to render online mathematics problem solving?
I will be linking you to a foreign site where you can make at least $200 if you work really hard.
I will also guide you on how you can pass their test so as to enable you become their tutor.
If you are interested chat me up on WhatsApp ( 07031912193). Note: only for those tutors that are good at mathematics.
See you on the top!

Latest Scholarships in Nigeria - Updated Daily - EDUREGARD / Lagos State List Of Books For Jsss3 Literature (bece) / Mother Of Nine Commits Suicide In Delta