Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,929 members, 7,828,230 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice (34341 Views)

Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? / Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying / How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Olam09(m): 1:24pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
I recently applied to work in an organisation.

After passing the interview and checks, the management was impressed and decided to hire and give me a major role in the company.

When i asked about the payment for my position, they threw me a popular question;
HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD PAY YOU?

I gave them a figure in mind, a little above what i got in my former job. Their facial expression was 'WoW'.

I started work on tuesday and after making friends and chating the secretary, i found out that i earn twice less than the staffs in the company in the same position.

Infact, i earn a little more than the gateman and cleaner. The secretary even earns more.

Its my fault, should have done some checks on the strength and salary structure of the firm before applying.

I feel discouraged. With this information, i won't be able fuction properly. Plus this secretary with her loud mouth will spread the news in the company, making me feel worst.

Anyone with this experience? Please console me.

Na you fork up. Na the money wey fit solve your problem you mention. Next time you have to consider your bills and other necessities and what will be left for saving before answering such questions.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by captaininiobong(m): 1:24pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

After passing the interview and checks, the management was impressed and decided to hire and give me a major role in the company.

When i asked about the payment for my position, they threw me a popular question;

I gave them a figure in mind, a little above what i got in my former job. Their facial expression was 'WoW'.

I started work on tuesday and after making friends and chating the secretary, i found out that i earn twice less than the staffs in the company in the same position.

Infact, i earn a little more than the gateman and cleaner. The secretary even earns more.

Its my fault, should have done some checks on the strength and salary structure of the firm before applying.

I feel discouraged. With this information, i won't be able fuction properly. Plus this secretary with her loud mouth will spread the news in the company, making me feel worst.

But the company sef suppose top up your salary knowing fully well that you will later find out. I use to answer them that I will work with what they pay for the role.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Atarakpa: 1:24pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

put in your best, after 7 months and there is no salary adjustment go and negotiate with the HRD or your line manager.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Sunnygibbs1909: 1:24pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

The companys workers union should step in and arrest this anomaly.All organisations have a salary structure for all levels and cadre and should not pay you according to the strength of your negotiation.You quoted something less than their structure and they decided to pay you that.if you had quoted something higher,would they pay you.i consider it arm twisting and criminal.They should not treat you like a football player who is paid based on the strength of his negotiation
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Arabmoney1682(m): 1:27pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

I understand your pain and can be so devastating. Most employers of labor leverage on the economic situation to play on employees mental health.
From experience, your morale will be at the lower limit but take the opportunity to equip yourself for the future to come.
Give in your best during the probatory period, make yourself a force to reckon with in your role and by the time of confirmation, request for a pay rise.
We disagree to agree.....
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by theamazonguru(m): 1:31pm On Jan 13
Kobicove:
It's not fair for the company to knowingly pay you less than your subordinates, the fact that you asked for a less amount during the interview stage is irrelevant! undecided

Well should we blame the company?
We know that is how most Nigerian companies do.
Only great Nigerian companies or multinationals pay you the right/standard pay for your position.

When I got my job.
They didn't even ask me this question.
They just went on to tell me what my colleagues in the same position earn.
It is a standard here.

They will just assign you to a contractor who will manage your payment.
And he in turn earns a % of whatever he pays you.

The OP should just do his job diligently for a few months then request for pay rise.
They are aware you will still get to know what your colleagues earn and come back to the negotiation table.

Don't be dejected or demoralized because of this.
Afterall it is better than where you are coming from.

Ire oh
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by frank417: 1:34pm On Jan 13
Their loss though.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by korm2me(m): 1:34pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
Youre right I was desperate, couldn't secure a job after a month of hunting.

I can't renegotiate the salary. They told me the nature of the job and asked me how much i wanted and i told them. The amount wasn't forced or imposed on me.

It would be foolish for me to apply for a pay raise. They can simply decline, bringing me down further. I would rather resign.

Cc: Vinnie2000 sharingIslife
Calm down and stop crying my friend. Most organisations ask such questions just to know your expectations. They don't work with that. Do if you had mentioned an amount twice what they were supposed to have paid you do you think they would have? It's a high No
Continue your work and in the end of the month they will pay you what's in their salary structure for your position. But you supposed to have been given appointment letter by now. So what's there

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Sciendo: 1:40pm On Jan 13
I don't know why it's hard to believe des becos dat question is always irrelevant, companies av salary structures for levels and positions so even if u say 5k, as long as u re employed for a particular position, u are on salary, programmed for someone in dat position according to d company salary structure
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by deavicky(m): 1:41pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

if u have not been paid, I suggest you wait till the end of the month and see what they will do. But if they pay u the amount you asked for, I think u should go back to ur HR and tell him, having know the salary of ur mates, it affecting ur concentration. It will be nice to review ur salary despite ur mistake.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by JuanDeDios: 1:43pm On Jan 13
SharingIsLife:
Endure it and do your work excellently for 2 months. Work in such a way that you become an INDISPENSABLE member of staff (after all, you're used to low salary).

As you do this, you will be a total surprise to the secretary and anyone else expecting you to be demoralized at work because of your low pay. This is good for workplace politics because people can't really understand you. But this is not the main aim of doing your work so well as I have advised.

This is the main aim: After 2 months, go to the management and ask for a pay raise. If they delay in doing this, submit your resignation letter. And if they ask you why you are leaving, you tell them that you need a pay raise and that you found another job offering you that.

Don't have any atom of fear while doing this as long as you know you have become indispensable to them.

You need to get a pay raise as soon as possible not just because of you yourself but because of other workers. Because the company may decide to reduce other people's pay thinking that they are paying too highly in comparison to other companies.
Op, follow this advice.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Originalsly: 1:45pm On Jan 13
I suggest you read and reread SharingIsLife comment and fully grasp what he is saying. No doubt ... you accept it is your mistake .... you have learnt from it. The question is can it be corrected? Yes it can ... and he gives you the blueprint. It may cost you the two months difference... consider that the cost of the mistake. Quitting will be the second mistake ... and a bigger one. How long did you say you were waiting?... after how many applications? And you believe if you quit you will find another job soon that will give you the salary you asked for? ... let alone the salary paid by this company that you can get?... in two months? Bro... shove your feelings aside and face reality.

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by FireUpNow(m): 1:51pm On Jan 13
Don't worry, with time you will move up the salary ladder. The good thing is that you pay is hogher thqn your pay. Do your job the way you know how to do it best
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by YoungBlackRico(m): 1:59pm On Jan 13
Kobicove:
It's not fair for the company to knowingly pay you less than your subordinates, the fact that you asked for a less amount during the interview stage is irrelevant! undecided
Welcome to Nigeria. They have effing salary structure for each position but no, they must ask that foolish question
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by flokii: 2:08pm On Jan 13
RomanceMoney:

This is A Wrong Advise.

It is too sudden and They Would Take Him As Just An Unsatisfied Person.

He Requested For A Pay; And They Gave Him Just What He Requested For.

He should work for some 4 to 6 Months with Full Dedication Before Advancing To Write A Letter For Increment In Salary.

How is that a wrong advice?.. the poster is being underpaid and you think that's fair?

In a country with strong labour laws, the management of that company would have entered deep shlt by now.

If you don't know your rights, people will use and trash you when they are done using you.. better use your head.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Wisereborn: 2:09pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
The thing pain me wella. I intend to resign soon.

It more painful, cos someone in the management who picked a liking for me when i applied to work there was eyeing me when i mentioned the amount.
Why do you want to resign

Do your job impressively then ask for a raise later. Simple
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by legba1(m): 2:12pm On Jan 13
The company obviously does not have a pegged salary scale for cadres. In my former coy, we have a scale for each cadre and regardless of anything you are simply placed on the scale in tandem with your cadre of entry.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Rapture4real(m): 2:17pm On Jan 13
If I were you I won't resign or feel bad. I will put in my best and prove my worth. After one year,I will demand for salary increase. If they don't respond I will leave. It will pain them to lose you after proving your worth.

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by SPAMBOX7: 2:27pm On Jan 13
Travails of 9-5 jobs. People are suffering cheesy
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by YourGFsnatcher: 2:29pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

grin sorry bro. This is sad and hilarious at the same time grin
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Uniquekriss(m): 2:31pm On Jan 13
That's why I don't play with salary negotiation, learnt that from my former LM Mr Jerry, I'd rather not work than earn lesser than my worth, not after impressing and stressing my self in upto 3 different stages of interview then I'd come and underprice myself.

Again, this is where we find ourselves in this country, there's already a budget for the role, but these overzealous HRs would want to price you below budget so the management would say they're working, standard organizations would still go ahead to pay the budget regardless.

Bro, show commitment in the job, do not quit and don't let it affect your morale cos they're paying you what you asked for and at least, it's better than where you left. Once you're confirmed in the next 3-6months you can request for a salary raise.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Harrisonwo(m): 2:33pm On Jan 13
When asked that question, if you haven't done research on the salary scale in the interview. It's always best to say; I believe the organization has a pay structure which I very much will want same to apply to me with respect to the job role
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Slurity(m): 2:33pm On Jan 13
YES, ITS YOUR FAULTH, NEXT TIME DO A BACKGROUND CHECK AND START WITH TRICE YOUR CURRENT SALARY. NOBODY WILL FIGHT YOU FOR BEEN TOO EXPENSIVE, IT REALLY SHOW YOUR WORTH.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by bluefilm: 2:34pm On Jan 13
SharingIsLife:
Endure it and do your work excellently for 2 months. Work in such a way that you become an INDISPENSABLE member of staff (after all, you're used to low salary).

As you do this, you will be a total surprise to the secretary and anyone else expecting you to be demoralized at work because of your low pay. This is good for workplace politics because people can't really understand you. But this is not the main aim of doing your work so well as I have advised.

This is the main aim: After 2 months, go to the management and ask for a pay raise. If they delay in doing this, submit your resignation letter. And if they ask you why you are leaving, you tell them that you need a pay raise and that you found another job offering you that.

Don't have any atom of fear while doing this as long as you know you have become indispensable to them.

You need to get a pay raise as soon as possible not just because of you yourself but because of other workers. Because the company may decide to reduce other people's pay thinking that they are paying too highly in comparison to other companies.

After just two months, you are demanding for a payrise?

Dey play
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by joseph1832(m): 2:42pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

just be patient. Put in your best and don't let it deter you. When it's time for a promotion, you'll get it and your pay will double... but if it's a one man business, you're on your own.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by esemes256: 2:43pm On Jan 13
Bluntguy:
It's not always good to suggest what you should be paid by your employers. You should have told them that whatever pay that goes with the position you are applying for is okay by you. This is because the organization already has a payment structure on ground. The payment structure is always based on qualification and experience.

I will advise you just do your job till the end of the month. I am sure you will be paid based on their payment structure. By the way, you should have gotten your employment letter by now and what you would be paid is always specified in it. Good luck bro. Don't feel bad, rather hope for the best.

I once applied for a job last two years or so. In the application form, one of the required fields to fill was your salary expectations. You had to put the exact annual gross salary. Like no way to avoid the question or turn it back to the company.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by esemes256: 2:47pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

Look at the bright side. At least you are earning more than in your previous job. Continue to give your best in the job.
Also, if you really like the company and want to continue working for them, after a few months, you can strategize, research and make a frank and formal request to the management for salary adjustment, stating specific reasons. The worst that can happen is that they will say no.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by tonicyril: 2:49pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

some other day, u don't answer that kind of question immediately...
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by ghettochild(m): 2:52pm On Jan 13
OP just wait till the end of the month n see what u will be paid before quitting or asking for a pay rise
You don't throw the baby with the bath water.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by sacajawea: 2:55pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

It more painful, cos someone in the management who picked a liking for me when i applied to work there was eyeing me when i mentioned the amount.
Eyeing you as How??
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by MT: 3:07pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

I am sorry but I doubt your story.

Any company that does that has set itself up for a failure. The company know you will ultimately find out.

If a company has budgeted a certain amount for a position, they will stick to it irrespective of your negotiation. Paying different salaries for same position will ensure the company is always searching the job market per second.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which Of This Hand Works Earn The Most Money? / Betty Irabor & Ezekwesili To Help Undergraduate Who Sells Crayfish (Pics) / Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.