Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,192 members, 7,829,268 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice (34358 Views)

Can One Be Punished In A Work Place Without, Giving Code Of Conduct? / Ebun Okubanjo, Bento Africa's Founder Accused Of Work Place Bullying / How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by agabaI23(m): 3:10pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
The thing pain me wella. I intend to resign soon.

It more painful, cos someone in the management who picked a liking for me when i applied to work there was eyeing me when i mentioned the amount.
Don't try it.

Do that job and do it well. They will raise you right. Have they paid you yet?

They know that you will get to know how much others are paid and will place you right now or in the near future.

Show them what you got 💯.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Sheffieldconsul: 3:15pm On Jan 13
This is a terrible work place! A "proper company, firm, organization or whatever, have a salary structure or pay scale. Your salary will be inline with that pay scale, regardless of what your salary expectations are or the answer you give to that question. It is either you're cooking up this story or you're in a sh*tty firm.

Jackanda1:
I recently applied to work in an organisation.

After passing the interview and checks, the management was impressed and decided to hire and give me a major role in the company.

When i asked about the payment for my position, they threw me a popular question;
HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD PAY YOU?

I gave them a figure in mind, a little above what i got in my former job. Their facial expression was 'WoW'.

I started work on tuesday and after making friends and chating the secretary, i found out that i earn twice less than the staffs in the company in the same position.

Infact, i earn a little more than the gateman and cleaner. The secretary even earns more.

Its my fault, should have done some checks on the strength and salary structure of the firm before applying.

I feel discouraged. With this information, i won't be able fuction properly. Plus this secretary with her loud mouth will spread the news in the company, making me feel worst.

Anyone with this experience? Please console me.

2 Likes

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Lordsonn: 3:16pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

It more painful, cos someone in the management who picked a liking for me when i applied to work there was eyeing me when i mentioned the amount.

Guess what, it happens to me. I have master's degree and I was paid less than people with bachelor degree. I tender my resignation letter after some months. They refused my resignation and I told them to pay me equivalent of what they are paying people with master's and they agreed.
Work hard to impress them. Then tender your resignation letter. They will beg you to stay and increase your salary
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Mom007(f): 3:22pm On Jan 13
SharingIsLife:
Endure it and do your work excellently for 2 months. Work in such a way that you become an INDISPENSABLE member of staff (after all, you're used to low salary).

As you do this, you will be a total surprise to the secretary and anyone else expecting you to be demoralized at work because of your low pay. This is good for workplace politics because people can't really understand you. But this is not the main aim of doing your work so well as I have advised.

This is the main aim: After 2 months, go to the management and ask for a pay raise. If they delay in doing this, submit your resignation letter. And if they ask you why you are leaving, you tell them that you need a pay raise and that you found another job offering you that.

Don't have any atom of fear while doing this as long as you know you have become indispensable to them.

You need to get a pay raise as soon as possible not just because of you yourself but because of other workers. Because the company may decide to reduce other people's pay thinking that they are paying too highly in comparison to other companies.
This is your answer op.

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Omoapena(m): 3:22pm On Jan 13
But since they have salary structure, how can they pay you less even if thatz what you asked for, aren't they supposed to stick to their structure.

Does it mean, if you have asked for an amount higher than the salary structure, would have accepted to pay it?
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by LEGALSER: 3:31pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

After passing the interview and checks, the management was impressed and decided to hire and give me a major role in the company.

When i asked about the payment for my position, they threw me a popular question;

I gave them a figure in mind, a little above what i got in my former job. Their facial expression was 'WoW'.

I started work on tuesday and after making friends and chating the secretary, i found out that i earn twice less than the staffs in the company in the same position.

Infact, i earn a little more than the gateman and cleaner. The secretary even earns more.

Its my fault, should have done some checks on the strength and salary structure of the firm before applying.

I feel discouraged. With this information, i won't be able fuction properly. Plus this secretary with her loud mouth will spread the news in the company, making me feel worst.

grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy This graduate no smart at all. grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Houseontherock1: 3:39pm On Jan 13
Bluntguy:
It's not always good to suggest what you should be paid by your employers. You should have told them that whatever pay that goes with the position you are applying for is okay by you. This is because the organization already has a payment structure on ground. The payment structure is always based on qualification and experience.

I will advise you just do your job till the end of the month. I am sure you will be paid based on their payment structure. By the way, you should have gotten your employment letter by now and what you would be paid is always specified in it. Good luck bro. Don't feel bad, rather hope for the best.
This is it. The organization will most likely pay him based on their salary structure and not necessarily the figure he mentioned. It's always safer to tell them you expect to be paid based on company's pay scale if you are not armed with the correct salary information of the organization. As for those telling him to continue with the work, I don't think he will ever be motivated to work hard if he's paid what he mentioned. Personally, I can't deal...if they pay me that nonsense after the first month I'll tell them based on the harsh economic realities and my cost of transportation to work, I won't be able to take the amount anymore...

Always have adequate information about the organization you are sending your application to

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Gentlesoul2021(m): 3:40pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

I am having a virtual interview on Monday, omo mk I go call big amount...
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by samwillyco1(m): 3:54pm On Jan 13
MisterBanny:

No, u have to go on Monday pls. Many people out there are looking for such opportunity. It will be an act of Cowardice to jettison a job you just got due to such reason. I felt u were somewhat too desperate to secure the job, reason u couldn't strike a proper Salary bargain. Don't be discouraged Bro. Anything can still happen. Be patient

How much is your pay
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Fx5Deriv(m): 4:00pm On Jan 13
God forbid such mistake!
This one touch me o,
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Zakiwhite: 4:01pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

I gave them a figure in mind, a little above what i got

in my former job. Their facial expression was 'WoW'.

Please can you drop some links for job hunting please
🙏 thanks
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by primeache: 4:04pm On Jan 13
Salary issues is a personal affairs.

Mind your business and do your job well, then renegotiate as suggested
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by hakeemhakeem(m): 4:19pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
A guy who applied recently(my set) earns almost twice my salary.

I applied to alot of firms before getting hired. Didn't do any background checks atall.

I don't feel like going to work on monday. cheesy
You have to reason are
1.the pay is higher than what you earn at your former place
2.i don't think you have other options now
3.people had said it after some months request for pay raise
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by honour7: 4:27pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

Write to HR for a review immediately, tell them say your payment no meet the industry standard for the organisation. for the main time no dey discuss your salary again, if after one month dem no review am begin look for another Job
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by indoorlove(m): 4:43pm On Jan 13
I don't know why I'm feeling bad on your behalf. It's really demoralizing to know you earn far less than your colleagues

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by femynho(m): 4:53pm On Jan 13
This is very simple. Call for a renegotiation. Please don't settle for less.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Rodinat: 5:01pm On Jan 13
Well put in your best and ask for increase after a month,you have right to do so.Let them know you are about leaving if it's not increased.
But next time you were being ask,tell them salary better to what they are pay someone in that position or same.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Clinghton: 5:07pm On Jan 13
I feel your pain, it has happened to me trust me your commitment would be affected negatively upon such discovery.

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by olubless90: 5:09pm On Jan 13
It's actually not a standard organisation.... bcs all standard organisations have their own payment structure, they will still pay you with their structure even if your mention less or above during interview
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Ndidi2: 5:19pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
Youre right I was desperate, couldn't secure a job after a month of hunting.

I can't renegotiate the salary. They told me the nature of the job and asked me how much i wanted and i told them. The amount wasn't forced or imposed on me.

It would be foolish for me to apply for a pay raise. They can simply decline, bringing me down further. I would rather resign.

Cc: Vinnie2000 sharingIslife
l was in your shoes 7 years ago
I didn't even resume

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Alamkir: 5:27pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
Youre right I was desperate, couldn't secure a job after a month of hunting.

I can't renegotiate the salary. They told me the nature of the job and asked me how much i wanted and i told them. The amount wasn't forced or imposed on me.

It would be foolish for me to apply for a pay raise. They can simply decline, bringing me down further. I would rather resign.

Cc: Vinnie2000 sharingIslife

Why not take the risk of asking for a pay rise instead of resign. At least the former can work out good

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by occfx: 5:29pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

Why would you be quoting price... I like giving answers in proverbs if the other person is advantaged then if you insist I be specific, then I will become offensive. You won't feel that bad because you asked me to be specific.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by MyExpression(m): 5:34pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
A guy who applied recently(my set) earns almost twice my salary.

I applied to alot of firms before getting hired. Didn't do any background checks atall.

I don't feel like going to work on monday. cheesy

Leave hearsay.
Nobody tells people their salary...you just quote a range.

It's the amount you said will be OK for you, considering your responsibilities...so take it...give your best...two months too small, go the normal 3months probation...then upon confirmation of appointment, you ask for a raise.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jackanda1(m): 5:35pm On Jan 13
Ndidi2:
l was in your shoes 7 years ago I didn't even resume
You didn't resume? Wow. Did you have backup?
Did the company call you?
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by lomprico(m): 5:37pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

Someone is taking the remaining of your pay. The HR team probably.

No responsible firm will pay you twice less than what was stipulated for your position because u bidded less.

1 Like

Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jackanda1(m): 5:38pm On Jan 13
Gentlesoul2021:

I am having a virtual interview on Monday, omo mk I go call big amount...
Recieve wisdom... Learn from my experience.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jackanda1(m): 5:40pm On Jan 13
LEGALSER:

grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy This graduate no smart at all. grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin
Well i just recieved smartness today.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jackanda1(m): 5:43pm On Jan 13
Sheffieldconsul:
This is a terrible work place! A "proper company, firm, organization or whatever, have a salary structure or pay scale. Your salary will be inline with that pay scale, regardless of what your salary expectations are or the answer you give to that question. It is either you're cooking up this story or you're in a sh*tty firm.

i wish it was cooked up. I'm gonna be resuming on monday, an unhappy staff
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Jackanda1(m): 5:50pm On Jan 13
sacajawea:

Eyeing you as How??
You know the way your sibbling blink continously making a strange face when you are about to spill their mess up to daddy.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Gentlesoul2021(m): 5:51pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
Recieve wisdom... Learn from my experience.

Sharp sharp oo... Can I pls reach out, I want u to walk me down the line to ace an interview brilliantly...
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by Ndidi2: 5:56pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:
You didn't resume? Wow. Did you have backup?

Did the company call you?
After the interview when one of the staff asked how far as per the pay
When I told she was shocked
I actually told them my last salary when l was asked.

She said y didn't l lie
I said l would not lie and that they should have salary structure.
I decided not to resume within few weeks l got another job that paid me double of what l was paid by my last employer.

Ideally there should be salary structure in an organization.
Re: This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice by blaise26abj(m): 5:59pm On Jan 13
Jackanda1:

Atimes when you are really good at your job with little pay, you might become detached from what you SHOULD be getting for the job you do . It is like coming out of an abusive environment .

A little research is good before interview . Someone dear to me asked for almost times 3 of what her former employer was paying her and the new organization quickly agreed . All because she researched the company before hand

With the deed already done , do your probation period and ask for an increase once they have seen what you can do .

PS- the company too no try . Their HR department needs to be flogged . There are industry standards that should be followed . You can’t pay someone such and expect them not to find out later and it always leads to job dissatisfaction and most times resignation thereby wasting the company’s time and resources. Stop ASKING stupid questions about how much they want to be paid !. Pay people fairly based on company and industry salary standard for those positions !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Betty Irabor & Ezekwesili To Help Undergraduate Who Sells Crayfish (Pics) / Which Of This Hand Works Earn The Most Money? / Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.