Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,296 members, 7,818,995 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

When You Are Too Old To Work - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / When You Are Too Old To Work (16378 Views)

Considered Too Old For A Job? Try Other Alternatives / Why Access Bank Still Remain The Best Bank To Work In Nigeria / For Those That Want To Work In Dangote Take A Look (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

When You Are Too Old To Work by HugeElephant(f): 1:48am On Jan 15
Good morning.
Have you ever asked yourself the question, "why do we work"?
Some will say they work in order to avoid hunger. Some will say they work in order not to just stay idle at home. Some will say they work in order to fit into the society.
There are several other reasons why we work.

Until you start to ask questions about your building towards the future, then you are on the right path.
Have you ever asked yourself, "When a man is too old to work," what is my plan towards that phase?

You can't work forever, so now that you are still much younger, I hope you are working towards that stage and not just working to eat and survive the present moment or economy?

That job you are currently engaged in, is it a temporary or permanent solution? You should be able to identify a permanent solution or a temporarily solution and not confuse them.

I am trying to find a permanent solution and sacrificing my convinience at this stage. I hope I find it soon: a permanent solution to my human needs and questions. Because when I am too old to work, I hope I have something better than a pension.

77 Likes 7 Shares

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by coputa(m): 3:24am On Jan 15
HugeElephant:
Good morning.
Some will say they work in order to avoid hunger. Some will say they work in order not to just stay idle at home. Some will say they work in order to fit into the society.

Until you start to ask questions about your building towards the future, then you are on the right path.
Have you ever asked yourself, "When a man is too old to work," what is my plan towards that phase?

You can't work forever, so now that you are still much younger, I hope you are working towards that stage and not just working to eat and survive the present moment or economy?

That job you are currently engaged in, is it a temporary or permanent solution? You should be able to identify a permanent solution or a temporarily solution and not confuse them.

I am trying to find a permanent solution and sacrificing my convinience at this stage. I hope I find it soon: a permanent solution to my human needs and questions. Because when I am too old to work, I hope I have something better than a pension.
You have to create your pension yourself,one of the best pension is to train your children and build a house no matter how small.

At old age, you still need a cash flow,buy shares of good companies,put money in there continually,it can cater for your needs at old age.

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by HugeElephant(f): 3:32am On Jan 15
coputa:
You have to create your pension yourself,one of the best pension is to train your children and build a house no matter how small.

At old age, you still need a cash flow,buy shares of good companies,put money in there continually,it can cater for your needs at old age.

This is a flawed pattern of thought. Your kids have their own lives, their own path. Children are not a pension plan.

Your kids deserve all the good and guidance to become a better person

116 Likes 6 Shares

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by coputa(m): 3:42am On Jan 15
HugeElephant:

This is a flawed pattern of thought. Your kids have their own lives, their own path. Children are not a pension plan.

Don't be deceived by rhetorics,on this earth, aside God, your family is all you've gotten especially your children, they are your third eyes and third legs at old age.

It has been tested and proven, investment in people pays the highest dividend

Neglect them at your own peril.

121 Likes 7 Shares

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by PoliteActivist: 3:49am On Jan 15
HugeElephant:

*Politeness*
Extremely flawed and low faith. Imagine, his aim and dream is to burden his children with giving him money instead of aiming to have enough to be giving them and his grandkids

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by Oloki: 5:37am On Jan 15
coputa:
Don't be deceived by rhetorics,on this earth, aside God, your family is all you've gotten especially your children, they are your third eyes and third legs at old age.

It has been tested and proven, investment in people pays the highest dividend

Neglect them at your own peril.

What of those that didn't have children?

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by coputa(m): 6:19am On Jan 15
Oloki:

What of those that didn't have children?
invest in people, even if they are not your relatives or better still you can adopt a child.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by Oloki: 6:50am On Jan 15
coputa:
invest in people, even if they are not your relatives or better still you can adopt a child.

Which people? Am no sure you are talking about this generation where people are so self centered, selfish and can go to any length to short change you. Adoption might be a better option though

8 Likes

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by 1Alex: 6:57am On Jan 15
Investing in children is good but not the ultimate. One's children may be irresponsible and not care care for their parents.

It's best to invest in a venture that will effortlessly give you money like real estate.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by Feldie: 7:59am On Jan 15
I've always hoped and prayed to be dead before then. I hope to die strong. I can't imagine myself being old and rickety and barely able to stand. God forbid. What is the difference, dying at 65 and dying at 80? What difference would the additional 15 years make? You would have already become irrelevant and condemned to watching people do things

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by LandMann: 7:59am On Jan 15
HugeElephant:

You think like you're not in Nigeria.

Invest in your kid's education and teach them good morals. Support them and help them become successful. When you are old they're the ones that will support you too whether in cash or in kind.

That is the natural circle of life.

Stop spreading this your dumb message.

Only reason you are spreading this kind of message is probably because your parents did not take care of you when you were young, hence you don't want to take care of them too when they are old.

To understand how foolish and selfish your response is, remember that you were once a baby and vulnerable. Your parents had other things to do but they sacrificed their time and resources to bring you up and protect you from the clutches of death. Even if they didn't give you gold and silver, they gave you life. Which is more valuable?

Now you can stand on your feet and here you are telling the world that children shouldn't take care of their parents when the parents become old because such children have their own lives to live.

That is very unafrican, and you're the type of child every parent will pray not to have

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by laivwire(m): 8:00am On Jan 15
Processing...

1 Like

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by JOACHINpedro: 8:01am On Jan 15
coputa:

Your children fit disappoint you. Have your own back

13 Likes

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by coputa(m): 8:03am On Jan 15
JOACHINpedro:

Your children fit disappoint you. Have your own back
The percentage is very low.

5 Likes

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by AfahaAbia(m): 11:07am On Jan 15
1Alex:
Investing in children is good but not the ultimate. One's children may be irresponsible and not care care for their parents.

It's best to invest in a venture that will effortlessly give you money like real estate.

God bless you. I can never hope on my kids at old age that's why I invest invest and invest.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by AfahaAbia(m): 11:15am On Jan 15
LandMann:

Invest in your kid's education and teach them good morals. Support them and help them become successful. When you are old they're the ones that will support you too whether in cash or in kind.

Only reason you are spreading this kind of message is probably because your parents did not take care of you when you were young, hence you don't want to take care of them too when they are old.

To understand how foolish and selfish your response is, remember that you were once a baby and vulnerable. Your parents had other things to do but they sacrificed their time and resources to bring you up and protect you from the clutches of death. Even if they didn't give you gold and silver, they gave you life. Which is more valuable?

Now you can stand on your feet and here you are telling the world that children shouldn't take care of their parents when the parents become old because such children have their own lives to live.

That is very unafrican, and you're the type of child every parent will pray not to have

I don't believe in what you wrote up there. I will use this age of mine to invest invest and invest. A sibling of mine who is close to 33 years old still had the guts to scam my old mother a very huge sum of money. And we are only two kids in the family. Never! I say never hope on my children. My mother gave we both the best while growing up and planned her own life very well. Yet her kid old enough to support her still preferred to take advantage of her.

16 Likes

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by A305: 11:27am On Jan 15
Most not so rich Nigerian parents practically invest in there children to earn returns from them (the children) by a way of taking care of them in their old age.

Myself I don't fancy that, that's why I had to learn trading crypto currency so even when I'm old and senile, I will still be earning in my own little way. However, most people tend to fall back on earnings from their real or fixed asset such as properties and the likes and the once who were successful in building a business will continue to get paid by their business even in retirement.

The smart ones invest in the money market such as: bonds, shares, stock, Treasury bills and Mutual funds in local and foreign market and currency.

So when is it too old to work — no specific age, provided you still alive, healthy and have the desire to earn to remain relevant in the society.

Fun Fact: The average Nigerian buys land or build a house first when he hammers in hopes to secure his future. (Real Estate Banking)

6 Likes

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by Decarbonisation: 11:27am On Jan 15
HugeElephant:
Good morning.

wetin dey do you no be am dey do me.

Abeg you fit borrow me 100 Naira man I buy Ghana buns?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by mejetov422: 11:27am On Jan 15
Hi
Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by gadgetplanetng: 11:28am On Jan 15
If you want income of 1million a month whenever you retire,

N120,000,000 in FGN savings bonds (at 10%) per annum would pay that to you without you ever touching your capital.

Depending on where you live, average returns might be less (maybe 5%? meaning you need double that)

In your maybe 35 active years at work, keep this calculation in mind, if you start early and don't touch your interest till you retire, you won't actually have to save the entire amount.

Don't waste windfalls and surprise money on clubbing, wigs, unnecessary cars, women/men and the like.

You can build your own pension yourself, google it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by ProudNigerian01: 11:28am On Jan 15
We must prepare well for old age to avoid suffering unnecessarily. Salary won't come forever. If you are working where there's no pension, make out a way to save for your old age.

No matter what happens though, if you are working hard and obeying Jesus, you are safe.

God will nourish your old age if you obey him:

Ps.92.12 - The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree, He shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon.

Ps.92.14 - They shall still bear fruit in old age; They shall be fresh and flourishing,

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by malali: 11:29am On Jan 15
Aiming from the beginning to use your children as a retirement plan is a very selfish and manipulative gesture.

The job that you slaved for all your life, should take care of you while you are old, Your children have their own lives, their own family and children to take care of.

If your child has surplus, thats a different case, but dont be thinking in your 30's that your child who is 2-3 year old is your retirement plan.

Aim to leave wealth for your child and if all hell breaks lose and your plans do not work....You child can help you out.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by ShoeGetSize: 11:30am On Jan 15

1 Like

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by Godada(m): 11:32am On Jan 15
Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by PrinceofSarcasm: 11:32am On Jan 15
AfahaAbia:

I don't believe in this jargons you wrote up there. I will use this age of mine to invest invest and invest. A sibling of mine who is close to 33 years old still had the guts to scam my old mother a very huge sum of money. And we are only two kids in the family. Never! I say never hope on my children. My mother gave we both the best while growing up and planned her own life very well. Yet her kid old enough to support her still preferred to take advantage of her.

Don't see the world through the eyes of your broken and dysfunctional family.
Not every one has siblings who are heartless scumbag criminals.
Not every one is unlucky to raise a scumbag child.
Be more optimistic

10 Likes

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by TUTU147: 11:32am On Jan 15
My children are my pension,most especially my daughters.I am also working on myself not to depend on my government or children pension,but to have something that will be bringing money every day by day.

3 Likes

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by bigdammyj: 11:33am On Jan 15
Reading...
Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by occfx: 11:34am On Jan 15
HugeElephant:
Good morning.

Lost my job 4yrs ago and reluctant to find another because of this question. I say let me suffer at once and build something I can depend on when am old or weak. Have been trying to figure out how to keep money coming even when on a sick bed

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by sukkot: 11:35am On Jan 15
After 50 you should no longer be in another man’s office or job and you should be in yours. When you are in yours you can do it till you die

6 Likes

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by malali: 11:35am On Jan 15
occfx:

Lost my job 4yrs ago and reluctant to find another because of this question. I say let me suffer at once and build something I can depend on when am old or weak. Have been trying to figure out how to keep money coming even when on a sick bed

Same here, building has been my aim for the last few years grin

1 Like

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by bobkezel(m): 11:37am On Jan 15
Real estate (esp lands), and at least have a house of your own.
And probably have another house with tenants and shops.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Are Too Old To Work by BloomingDale(f): 11:37am On Jan 15
LandMann:

Did you tell your parents to birth you? They decided that on their own, so it is their responsibility to look after you, but it is not your responsibility to do the same.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

50k Job With A Fintech Firm Or 30k Job With A Bank / How Much Salary Do You Expect? / Career Tips:surviving Unemployment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.